PDA

View Full Version : Longterm Cowashers-Did your shedding eventually stop? What causes it?

rcblinn
November 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Good morning LHC :)

I want to venture back into the world of cowashing (well, modified co-washing-shampooing my hair 1x or 2x a week). I loved how my hair behaved, my scalp was soooo much happier and it was nice on my wallet. But I stopped because the shedding was just too much-even when out of the shower. I want to know, what causes this? I don't think it was due to clogged follicles because I shampoo'd by scalp once a week. I didn't yank nor scrub too hard and I made sure to thoroughly rinse. I've used Vo5, Suave naturals and Trader Joes Nourish ( no cones whatsoever) and it was still all the same! :thud:

So what could have caused this? Does it eventually go away?

lapushka
November 16th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Some people just shed heavily when CO-washing. If it keeps doing that, even though you've played with changing up the washing conditioner, then I'd stop CO-washing if shedding too much, even *thinning* is important to you. A very gentle non-sulfate shampoo might be better in the long run.

AmyBeth
November 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I COd for about a year and experienced no major shedding at all. The only reason I stopped was because I began using henna and my hair texture changed pretty drastically. I now have to use shampoo, but I CWC with a tiny amount of diluted non sulfate shampoo.

jeanniet
November 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I think some people just shed more with CO, for a variety of reasons. I've been CO for about a year, with very little shampooing, and if anything, I shed slightly less. So I don't know if it will work for you. It's a shame, because one reason I went to CO was to help my itchy scalp, and it's really helped with that.

ExpectoPatronum
November 16th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I'm in the same boat you are. COwashing has worked wonders on my hair and scalp, but the shedding is starting to be too much for me again. I'm subscribing to this thread because if someone has the magic answer, I'd like to know it too.

patienceneeded
November 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I shed like crazy anytime I CO wash or put any kind of oil or conditioner on my scalp. I really like the idea of CO washing, but scary amounts of hair fall out when I do. About 2 years ago I gave CO washing about 4 months of my life and the shedding never seemed to decrease. My thickness diminished a bit, so I stopped. Every time I try it, the shedding kicks it into high gear again, so it's really rare for me to CO wash now. Too bad, my ends liked it...

Anje
November 16th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Honestly, I shed more with shampoo and conditioner than CO.

Joyvs
November 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I shed like crazy anytime I CO wash or put any kind of oil or conditioner on my scalp.
Me too - it's never been an issue for my thickness though, just a bit of a shock sometimes when I see all the hair on my hands! I do a bit of a hybrid of CO'ing, shampooing once a week (my hair is really short at the moment, but the shampooing is normally closer to once a fortnight when long), and I do a scalp massage before bed each evening with an oil blend. I've always just figured that the shedding was due to the stimlation of my scalp, as when I CO I (gently) massage my scalp to help lift any product and oil build-up at my roots, and the scalp-massage obviously causes a fair bit of stimulation. I always figured they were just the hairs that were ready to come out anyways, and that the stimulation just wiggled those hairs loose - if they hadn't come out that day they'd probably come out the next. Not very scientific but everything seems ok and it's always been the same level of shed so I just don't worry about it. That's not very helpful for others though, sorry!

ceruleansky
November 16th, 2013, 10:20 PM
My first attempt at CO was last spring and I began shedding loads then, it disappeared when I went back to CWC. Kept doing once or twice weekly heavy scalp oilings which didn't seem to affect my sheds, helped if anything. I went back to CO several months ago, I use diluted shampoo a few times a month too. I shed minimally now, so perhaps my shedding last spring was seasonal? Never gave it much attention in the past to know, really. To echo others, if you think it's the CO that is causing you to shed heavily then I would stop. You can always give it another try later in time.

Islandgrrl
November 16th, 2013, 11:43 PM
CO doesn't seem to cause me any shedding problems. Most of the year I am a very minimal shedder. But every fall (right now) my shed rate increases. CO, WO, CWC...nothing makes a difference.

Flor
November 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM
CO doesn't seem to cause me any shedding problems. Most of the year I am a very minimal shedder. But every fall (right now) my shed rate increases. CO, WO, CWC...nothing makes a difference.

*nod* Same here.

thirstylocks
November 17th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Yikes I didnt realize CO can cause shedding. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks but haven't really noticed any shedding yet. I hope I dont!!

Tota
November 17th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I have been co-washing for two years now and I haven't experienced any increase in shedding. A massive shed every fall and that's it. I am careful though not to go too long without clarifying. I thoroughly clean my scalp once a month with a dilluted sulphate shampoo following with an ACV rinse. I use organic silicone-free conditioners.

ravenreed
November 17th, 2013, 03:08 AM
I shed when I use shampoo on my scalp, but not with the CO method. I try to avoid shampooing my scalp as much as possible and usually use it from the ears down if I need to. I think that if something makes you shed, it will pretty much always make you shed. For instance, oiling my scalp causes a huge shed for me.

ExpectoPatronum
November 17th, 2013, 02:14 PM
As I've mentioned, I'm following the CG method, which calls for pretty much leaving your hair alone after you get out of the shower. I'm wondering if the "increased shedding" is really just all the hairs that would have come out if I was brushing my hair dry throughout the day?

To test this, I'm sticking with CG for the rest of the year. I measured my ponytail circumference and it's just over 4 inches. If it's less than that at the end of the year, I'll stop with CG/CO. Now, if it's a little less, I won't be bothered since my thickness can fluctuate a little. If it's not really changed, then I guess it really is my theory of all the shed hairs from the entire day just coming out when I actually manipulate my hair.

rcblinn
November 17th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies and your experiences. Seems like CO gets mixed results...I just did it again yesterday and took the plunge with Trader Joes Spa Nourish condish. Shedding wasn't as bad as has been in the past (slightly more than with shampoo but not alarmingly so like it was before). Crossing my fingers that I don't seen any increases because I love the slip, softness and my happy scalp:blossom:

Suze2012
November 18th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I just posted about shedding in the co wash thread.

I haven't experienced more shedding with co.

My shed hair comes out when I wash but now that my hair is curlier the curls hold on to hairs that shed through the day.

I don't have a house full of shed hairs any more as mine can only work free when I wash.