PDA

View Full Version : Over oiling

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I just majorly over oiled my hair. I did coconut oil on length but then wanted to do the roots with castor. Grabbed the bottle premixed with olive oil by mistake and applied, I noticed my mistake then reached for the plain castor oil to finish. I forgot how thick straight castor oil is and glopped on way too much. Lets hope a co wash can tackle this as I didn't feel like shampooing today.

When I was rubbing all this into my hair I notice at least 10 shed hairs. I rarely find that many at once and I wondered if it was a symptom of too much oil, or was it just over stimulation from the rubbing into scalp? Can too much oil saturation be bad for your hair? I have seen posts discussing hair loss or gain with castor, but do not recall comments on if you can actually over saturate or oil too often with any and all oils. I have thin hair that is shorter so need to keep all I have!

Any tips for someone new to oiling? Never had it on soooo thick like this before and feel a little embarrassed. :disgust:
What happens to hair that gets too much oil saturation or frequency? Any long time uses have feedback on this ? I wonder at what point I am losing benefits and messing up my natural balance.

Dianadarlene
November 16th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I don't think over oiling could be too bad.. just annoying. My first time using castor oil, I totally over did it and I looked greasy for 2 full days. I freaked and washed my hair like 10 times over and I -still- looked oily.. :rolleyes: it was embaressing, but luckily for me it was pretty rainy on the days my hair was over-oiled.. so I guess it just kinda looked like wetness.. like my hair hadn't dried all the way...? If that makes sense.
But I always get lots of shed hairs when I use any type of oil. Don't know why, I just figure it comes with the territory.

höpönasu
November 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Last night I really played with olive oil. First time ever my hat that covers a plastic bag that covers my oily hair fell off in the night. I woke up and put it back, I guess my pillow took all the oil but still I only needed one shampoo wash to get rid of all. I also put coconut oil, castor oil & olive oil mix in my scalp. My hair is now unbelievable smooth! :o

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM
yea, i haven't ruined it then. I just read I am supposed to mist and apply damp to retain moisture. I have been doing dry lately. Should I return to damp? I have read here it doesn't matter but the girls on curly nikki say "moisture/seal" Is that correct or only for really dry hair? I want the oil to penetrate and didn't know if water blocked that.
Such a newb!

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Newbie excitment with oil. I love how it helps.
I now have sesame, grapeseed (mostly for skin) coconut, olive, castor, amla (but haven't used yet as it has MO in it and i haven't learned enough about if that is bad) and soon ....Emu oil. I am kinda grossed out by Emu but websites are raving about it. Anyone emu or the amla?
I don;t know what my routine will be with all these. I was thinking Emu/Castor on scalp. Olive/coconut for prepoo and sesame/grapseed with aloe spritz for post poo? Maybe a drop of amla in shampoo?
Not all every day, but a rotating schedule? Too much?

kganihanova
November 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Oh newbie excitement! Its great for trying new things. I have a solid routine now but sometimes I miss the newbie excitement to try everything....

AmyBeth
November 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I always over oil on purpose!:p I know my hair is protected and happy and I don't give a darn what it looks like. I put it up, close to my scalp and hope it reads "wet" instead of "greasy". Oh well. I used to CO and the oils all came out just fine. And I guess I never used quite enough to cause any massive shedding. I think you'd know it was unhealthy just by looking at it. You wouldn't have to wait until your hair falls out.;)

heatherlynnc
November 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty new to oiling as well so no good tips to share.

I usually either put some coconut oil or almond oil on before I go to sleep the night before I plan to run in the morning then shampoo after the run or I put the oil on before the run then shampoo.

Today I saturated most of my hair with a coconut / olive oil mix, put it up in a pony/half pony, did my Saturday 5K on my treadmill (which takes me 56 minutes as I only run about a mile of the 3.1 and walk the rest... fast I'm not) Then I showered and did a vinegar rinse, a rinse with super diluted shampoo, a vinegar rinse, a quick condition with no protein or cones conditioner, then a last vinegar rinse. I had about 2 cups of vinegar in the shower with me and another little cup for mixing to dilute it. I didn't start out planning to do anything but keep rinsing it with diluted vinegar but after the first rinse it felt like it would be way to oily no matter how much I rinsed, then after the shampoo and next vinegar rinse it felt a bit stiff so then I conditioned a bit and after the last vinegar rinse it felt pretty awesome.

Hair is currently air drying (but is inside of a buff to try to keep my shirt from getting soaked because I'm going out to a friend's house later.) This is a whole new experiment in my hair care routine so I have no idea what it will end up looking like...

höpönasu
November 16th, 2013, 01:01 PM
First times I did my oiling I also splashed some water on my hair but I don't do that anymore. As I've learned I can do oil treatments to dry hair, and so I've done now. Works as great as on damp hair. But you should try what's best for your hair.

I do over-night oi treatments once a week and I oil my ends pretty much every day. I've been braiding my hair this week 6 times and I always oil my braid tassel, sometimes I even oil it twice a day.