PDA

View Full Version : Best alcohol free products

bythesea
November 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks to LHC I'm finding a hair routine that works for me!

I wash my hair every other day now instead of every 3-4 days like I used to. I still use occasional heat styling on my hair (only because my hair is otherwise pretty much in good condition - no dye/bleach, no tangles, etc.).

I like using sulfates on my hair, I find they're more clarifying for my scalp that has a lot of flakes and buildup.

Since it's about winter time, I want to make sure my hair is moisturized, and alcohol can dry out your hair! However, I've been checking the ingredients on all of my hair products and on the list of ingredients, alcohol is always one of the top 3 to 5 listed! Are there any good drugstore products that don't have alcohol? I'm specifically looking for shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, leave in conditioners, hair styling creams, and serums! Or if there's a particular drugstore brand that doesn't usually use a lot of alcohol that would be great!

I've read that L'Oreal has a line that is alcohol free, but I've also read it can be hard to find. So I was just wondering if there were other brands/products out there.

sarahthegemini
November 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Not all alcohols are bad! I couldn't find the original article I wanted to link, but here's one:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/11/are-all-alcohols-drying.html

lapushka
November 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM
My hair gels don't have alcohol:

Eco Styler (no silicones, no alcohol)
IC Fantasia (silicones, no alcohol)
LA Looks gel (no silicones, no alcohol)

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM
It depends on the alcohol. Fatty alcohols (cetearyl alcohol for instance) tend to be high ingredients in most conditioners. The ones to stay away from are things like SD alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, which are the drying kinds. Hairsprays will tend to have these drying alcohols high on their ingredients list, which is one of the main reasons hairspray is something be careful about. But for the products you listed, sounds like it's the fatty alcohols that are high on the ingredients list.

Still read the labels though, because some of them will still have drying alcohol in them, perhaps lower in the ingredients list but still enough to make a dent in your hair. The reformulation of Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition has isopropyl alcohol in it and I found it to be somewhat drying, even though it has all sorts of other things that work well in my hair.

bythesea
November 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Ohhhhh I didn't know that some alcohols aren't bad! I read some article that said "alcohol in hair products dries out your hair!!!" And I was like :disbelief: :shocked: :wail: :cry: :couch: after I read that pretty much all of my hair products have alcohol. I'll have to go double check now.