PDA

View Full Version : can conditioner or shampoo affect natural hair color?

Hyena
November 15th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Hi all, I'm a Super Newb when it comes to hair care.

One thing that seems to happen is my hair color (natural, a dark blonde) seems to fluctuate over time. I've had people ask if I've colored my hair dark or lightened it, which I never have.

The most annoying thing is that it can be a very dull like...grey brown almost. It is dark up by the scalp and progressively lightens up farther down, but the top color can be dark blond or poopy sludge. I *think* it happens when I use cone conditioners, but I'm not sure-it's the only correlation I have (I skip around on hair care products, so I'm not even sure of that)

Or is it sun exposure? Or am I crazy?

bananahanna
November 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
It may be that your hair is slightly oilier some days than others? This happens to me and my blonde hair looks a lot darker at the roots. Definitely try the cone free conditioner, its worth a shot.

bythesea
November 15th, 2013, 10:26 PM
It may have to do with hormones and sun exposure... my hair was ALWAYS a sludgey greyish ashy dishwater light medium brownish when I was in high school, and then the last few years of college the color darkened up a little bit and then I used to live in Florida so I spent a lot of time at the beach in the summer and the sun really gave me a lot of natural high lights and good coloring. I'll post a picture from my phone below (if it works) to show you!

But, yeah, I think sometimes hormones can affect hair color (I hear pregnant women say that all the time). But also sun exposure. If your hair doesn't get a lot of time in the sun it won't have a lot of natural high lights and may just look ashy. I know it's not good for hair to be out in the sun a lot, but mine has been just fine.

bythesea
November 15th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Edit: this picture goes with the post above ^

http://i42.tinypic.com/j8m7f4.jpg

Springlets
November 15th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Hair can be discolored by minerals and rust in your shower water. The lighter your hair, the more it can be noticeable. To prevent this, I always do a vinegar rinse (1 TBSP white vinegar to 1 Liter of water) after my shower, and I have a chelating shampoo to use every now and then.

As for hair color changing through the seasons, that's pretty normal for everyone. Everyone's hair gets lighter in the summer and darker in the winter because of sun exposure (or lack thereof). It is more noticeable with lighter hair. When winter comes along, I make sure to go out for a bit on sunny days, go for a walk or read. I love the feeling of sunshine on me anyway and considering people get depression from lack of sun, a little is good for your health. ;)

niky45
November 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
there are a LOT of things that do affect hair color, but shampoo and conditioner shouldn't be amongst them.

I'll bet the sun and hormones (just your body's mood, nothing as drastic as pregnancy) can do the most.

oh. and if it's between washes... there was a thread a few days ago about that. everybody noticed that hair was lighter the day they washed it, then it would go darker and duller until washed again.

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Hair can be discolored by minerals and rust in your shower water. The lighter your hair, the more it can be noticeable. To prevent this, I always do a vinegar rinse (1 TBSP white vinegar to 1 Liter of water) after my shower, and I have a chelating shampoo to use every now and then.

As for hair color changing through the seasons, that's pretty normal for everyone. Everyone's hair gets lighter in the summer and darker in the winter because of sun exposure (or lack thereof). It is more noticeable with lighter hair. When winter comes along, I make sure to go out for a bit on sunny days, go for a walk or read. I love the feeling of sunshine on me anyway and considering people get depression from lack of sun, a little is good for your health. ;)

do you rinse out the vinegar? if so do you have to use distilled for final rinse?

niky45
November 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
@ErinLeigh, I just use undiluted ACV as a leave-in conditioner, I don't rinse it afterwards.

but I suppose if you don't want to leave it in, and if you are using it as an anti-buildup... then yes, rinsing with distilled water would make sense (but shouldn't be essential, since, as far as i know, build up is progressive as its name says... I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm not actually sure, though. )

btw, undiluted ACV's pH is about 5, a little lower than your hair's, so it is GREAT for it. you can safely leave it as a leave-in, and your hair shall be happy (although everyone's hair is different, but... this is science. It should work for you too)

Springlets
November 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
@ErinLeigh, I just use undiluted ACV as a leave-in conditioner, I don't rinse it afterwards.

Me too, I don't rinse it out afterwards. Although I use white vinegar instead of ACV because ACV can create warm tones after awhile.

niky45
November 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM
@Springlets: yes, I too used to use plain (undiluted) white vinegar during some time and my hair liked it, BUT, keep in mind it's pH is a little lower, at around 4, so for some hair it could be a bit too acidic. Everyone's hair is different... :rolleyes:

I too have read that ACV can give a reddish tint to hair, that's actually why I switched from white vinegar. :agree: (I LOVE red).

lapushka
November 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM
One thing that seems to happen is my hair color (natural, a dark blonde) seems to fluctuate over time. I've had people ask if I've colored my hair dark or lightened it, which I never have.

People asking whether or not you've dyed your hair, or lightened it is quite a common occurrence with dark blondes especially. The hair can seem darker one day, and lighter the next, depending also on how much light (natural light) there is. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm a dark (ash) blonde myself, bordering on brown and my hair can seem very dark in photos, most of the time, but so light in natural light (it's only then that you can see it's actually blonde). I have had people ask me as well. It's nothing to do with shampoos and conditioners, although I have had a Garnier Ultra Doux shampoo for blondes (with camelia) that seemed to cast a temporary blondish hue over my hair.

Absinthium
November 16th, 2013, 03:24 PM
It might be sun exposure or hair moisture. When my hair is a bit dry, it also appears lighter. But after some nourishing hair mask they seem darker.
My hair also look brown on pictures, but in natural light it's obviously blonde, and in some kinds of artificial light it even appears bleached.

ludwig20
November 17th, 2013, 08:47 PM
So glad I found this thread because I've been thinking about this. I noticed in photos from years ago that my hair was darker - nearly black. Now I have many red/brown tones. I think it may be related to hormones because my texture changed, too. (Which is slightly sad... I prefer the black tones in my hair.)

Every week I like to use castor/coconut/rosemary oils on my scalp. My roots look quite darker than the length under very good lighting. It seems Absinthium may be right about dryness. My length tends to be dry and prone to damage. This may contribute to why it's also lighter.