PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very guilty...

Jennielee88
November 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Yesterday I got my roots done which I always feel guilty about, but since I want to keep my blonde it's kind of a necessity. My hairdresser also insisted on brushing it while it was wet with a metal barrel brush and tugging at my knots while blowdrying it. Today I noticed my roots were still a little brassy (I told her I didn't want a toner anymore, I'm putting as few things on it as possible to minimise the damage) so I washed my hair again with a purple shampoo to tone it, and I blow dried it again. So in the last 2 days ive put my hair through bleaching, 2 blow dries, brushing whilst wet... Needless to say I'm feeling pretty guilty.

What hair rules have you broken recently?

Jolly-Good-Show
November 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Hmm... I brush my hair when it's wet. I just prefer to do it that way. I brush it every two days after washing. I do it really really slowly and gently though :shrug: no breakage.. I just don't like leaving tangled hair to dry like that. Am I the only one?

Pocahontash
November 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I also recently colored my roots but like you said if I want to maintain my color it's kind of a necessity.(My natural is a dirty brown and I color it dark violet brown) Since I color it instead of bleach it like I used to when I was younger I don't feel as guilty about it but i do feel really guilty when I blow dry, mostly because I notice breakage when I do so :( I rarely blow dry it now but my natural texture is just ugly in my opinion. Blegh I wish there was a way to blow dry without damage ! lol Btw you have GORGEOUS hair, bleached or not.

Jennielee88
November 15th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Thankyou :) you do too
I also have a bit of breakage, it makes me feel less bad about it knowing that other people on here do too.
And like you, I hate my natural hair texture, it's so flat and fine that I blowdry to get a bit of volume!

sarahthegemini
November 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I comb my hair everyday and as a wavy, I shouldn't! That's pretty much the only rule i've broken lol.

battles
November 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I do what makes me happy and I don't feel guilty.

Audhumla
November 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Blegh I wish there was a way to blow dry without damage !
Have you tried just blow drying on cool ? That isn't damaging although even the lowest heat setting can do damage.
I've started doing that lately after a study was linked somewhere here saying that if you leave your hair to air-dry, the extended period of being saturated in water or being damp can cause weakness in the hair shaft.
It works for me :shrug: but my hair is pretty fine.
I also recommend the sitting-in-front-of-a-fan method. A lot of people with M or C hair seem to like it. Like beautyklove on youtube.
If you haven't seen her channel you should definitely check it out. She has a lot of videos about heat-free styling (mostly curling) and haircare.

Joyvs
November 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I do what makes me happy and I don't feel guilty.
Yep :toast:

martyna_22
November 16th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I sleep on a cotton pillowcase.. which I shouldn't, because my hair gets frizzy. I might have to break that habit.

Sillage
November 16th, 2013, 01:41 AM
LHC rules I break... well I always blow dry my hair on low heat with my Sedu and I haven't seen any damage in the year I've been doing it. I've had no trims this year and I have had almost no split ends so I'm pretty confident it's not harmful. I also dye my hair :P

Tini'sNewHair
November 16th, 2013, 03:05 AM
I wear my hair down a lot because i waited so long for this since my blunt cut at just above shoulders 1.6years ago. My hair now is a little bit passed BSL and its sooooooo well behaved, I must have it down to show it off :) I also still do ponytails but i keep it lose so hopefully that dosnt do much damage. I sleep with my hair down (I think i just like it down anyway) and no protective slik covers yet ... This is not bad in my book tho, ive done sooooooo many other horrible things to my hair before going virgin again so yeah... i feel OK about this :p

verylittlecarro
November 16th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I blow dry whenever I fancy it, maybe once a week, and see no damage at all. I wear my hair down whenever I like.

For me, it's not about achieving perfect obedience to hair care rules, it's about improving hair care only up to the point at which I can maximise my enjoyment of my hair. I've given up chemical dyes which affected the texture, and switched to henna. I've given up heat tools only because I dont want to ruin my henna. Ive switched to sulphate free and cone free, and mostly CO wash now.

Those changes are enough for me. I never get breakage, my hair barely splits ever, isnt particularly tangly, and feels wonderful. I have no desire to grow longer than waist

I dont want an antique lace tablecloth on my head. I want hair I can be less precious about. I dont feel guilty about my hair, on the contrary, I feel pretty virtuous about the changes I've made and I'm happier with my hair all the time.

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Do you coconut oil the roots before bleaching? I just tried it and it worked really well. Roots and highlights looked better than ever. So less guilt there.
I have started pre pooing with oils and adding in cowashes now as well to alternate. Again less guilt.
**adding honey to my cowashes has been moisture heaven, so may now add aloe to the shampoo as a new experiment**
Now for blow dry I do a quick warm blast per section followed by cool. I went from 99 percent hot dryer to 20 percent hot/80 percent cool. LESS guilt again.
I still use cones but not everyday. I find I can sometimes get same effect with the dryer oils. Depends on weather. see, less guilt AGAIN.

I think us types who do intend to keep coloring/blowdrying hair have to know we are doing what is right for us in the moment. That seems to be supported by everyone on the boards. They may have opinions or an occasional jaw drop but they all respect your need to "do you." Will my hair ever look as great as some? Maybe not. BUT it is looking better than it ever has each day.

Even some of the no heat people/no dye folks seem to get major sheds, breakage, split ends ect so I think we all will be just fine. I really don't feel guilt at all now that I think about. I am happy in the "more aware direction" I am heading and feel pleased with that. I just switched to sleep cap AND satin pillowcases so I have outright atoned for some sins !

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I blow dry whenever I fancy it, maybe once a week, and see no damage at all. I wear my hair down whenever I like.

For me, it's not about achieving perfect obedience to hair care rules, it's about improving hair care only up to the point at which I can maximise my enjoyment of my hair. I've given up chemical dyes which affected the texture, and switched to henna. I've given up heat tools only because I dont want to ruin my henna. Ive switched to sulphate free and cone free, and mostly CO wash now.

Those changes are enough for me. I never get breakage, my hair barely splits ever, isnt particularly tangly, and feels wonderful. I have no desire to grow longer than waist

I dont want an antique lace tablecloth on my head. I want hair I can be less precious about. I dont feel guilty about my hair, on the contrary, I feel pretty virtuous about the changes I've made and I'm happier with my hair all the time.

Agree to all. I enjoy being able to have fun with my hair. I like wearing it down, combing it, touching it, not fretting about it. I think that is what has changed me the most. i have taken all the great advice and made it fit with my lifestyle and my personality and tastes. Just like everyone else around here, we find what works for US.

Pocahontash
November 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Touche! I like the way you think.

kganihanova
November 16th, 2013, 11:58 AM

This though. I couldn't wear ponytails for a long time due to thinness and now I wear them whenever I can just because :D it feels amazing to be able to let go and do that. I can live with breakage/splits if I get to wear a style that actually looks good on me now!