PDA

View Full Version : Thought My Stylist was Gonna Attack Me With Scissors...

ProverbsGirl
November 15th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I took my son in to get his hair cut last week. I normally do it, but he wanted a new cut that I couldn't do..so I took him in.
I cut everyone's hair at my house..but sometimes take the kids or myself(in the past before LHC) in for a straightening up/new style.
Anywho, the last time she touched my hair was over a year ago. when I went in, it was up in a sock bun. So she couldn't tell how long it was. She asked me where I had been going. I told her no where, that I was letting it grow..she says. How long has it been. I said, about a year or so I think.
Her eyes bugged out of her head and she informed me that. "I have to have a trim!'
lol
I was like no...I'm good for now.

*In reality though..I am finding a few splits here and there now. I'm holding out for my next goal in a couple months before I trim.
lol Also hoping when I hit the next goal I will be able to do it myself.
But seriously..I thought she was gonna make me take it down to prove that I hadn't been having someone cut it. I left out the fact that I hadn't washed it in 4 days. lol she might have had a panic attack over that one. ;)
OH and she also heaved this huge sigh like I had lost my mind when I told her I was hoping to see hip one day. lol

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Hahaha. It's a money issue. She's seeing the money she has lost by your avoiding trims. You can't blame her, its her bread and butter.
My friend told me a similar story yesterday--she told her long term stylish (who she loves) that she was growing to grow her hair three inches so wouldn't be back for six months and the woman jsut about fainted on the floor. Then when she said (she has recently had a very short haircut) that she wanted it long enough so that she could curl it herself with an iron, itwas "oh, I can curl it for you at this length...'
Dependence is the name of the game.

As for hip length, then you won't need her. Bad, Bad Bad.

~honeyflower~
November 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I don't know about you, but I feel pretty independent when it comes to trims. :D

Ocelan
November 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Yep, last time I went to a hairstylist was at the very end of 2011 for a color and possibly also a trim. Her last words to me were "see you soon". Well, I never went back. I didn't know that yet then, but never did go and never plan to again.

Self trimming is so much less of a hassle because you don't need an appointment and the only bucks you need to shell out for that are for a pair of scissors that will last you a good amount of time. And you can do that in the middle of the night if you feel like it. I do understand sometimes perhaps wanting to go get your ends really evened out after a long time of self-trimming, but other than that just regular trims are fine on your own. Imagine having to pay the price of a haircut for a microtrim every month when trying to thicken up for example. :o

cranberrymoonz
November 15th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Also, most hairdressers won't do microtrims. My shears were just as expensive as my hairdresser used to be, lol. And I have been using them for two years now.

endlessly
November 15th, 2013, 02:11 PM
This is so true! I went into Ulta about 8 months ago to have a trim and I wanted to get rid of my layers from a previously terrible haircut. Even though I expressed that I would be growing my hair longer (it was cut to just about BSL), I received a phone call four weeks later, then again at eight weeks and finally, I received an email notification at twelve...all to tell them, "No, I'm not interested." I know that frequent haircuts are their "bread and butter", but it was downright harassing! I'm constantly being told by friends, coworkers, even strangers that I need to cut or trim my hair constantly...some just don't want to understand that I like my hair long. Plus, don't even get me started on the misconception of "frequent haircuts make your hair longer" b.s...I think we've all heard that before and know it's not true!

AmyBeth
November 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Trying to communicate past the hairdresser's preconceptions can be a challenge. Not cutting your hair anymore just doesn't compute. I also don't get the ""You MUST cut your hair!!'' Exactly why? What possible difference could it make to anyone else what I do with my hair? I love love love trimming or coloring my own hair now , and I'm never going back to a salon.

Amapola
November 15th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Oh LOL - did she try and get you to do layers?! I am amazed how many hair dressers think all problems can be solved with layers! :D I have not had my hair cut by someone else since 2005. For one thing I can't afford it. For another... I do fine on my own, and for crying out loud I have the first half of my head cut in bangs. I manage to trim them every now and again just fine, thank you very much. It's not like it is all that hard. A decent pair of scissors and some patience and there you go. :)

Not that I wish to malign any hair dressers out there who are really good, and capable of listening to what the person wants. Those type are vanishingly rare in my part of the country and would be dearly loved and treasured if they existed. If you don't want your hair done like everyone else around here, you have to do it yourself, there just is no other choice, unfortunately.

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I have been cutting my own hair for quite some time now and love it!

ProverbsGirl
November 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I have trimmed mine in the past and have always done my own bangs. :)
I'm looking forward to ut being long enough to trim myself again.
I'm considering a S&D right now until i push to my next goal. It is so close..and I really do not want to go and a pay to have 1/4 inch which will probably end up being closer to an inch cut off.

Amapola
November 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
ProverbsGirl, do you have any friends who could help? I've got a neighbor who will sometimes trim for me. I try not to ask her very often... like, once every two years or so, and she never minds. She will always do as I ask, and we go over everything with a ruler and so on, so that we all agree on what "1/4 inch" actually means.

Kitten1030
November 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Isn't it funny how shocking it is to people when they hear a more natural approach to hair care? Yet nobody even blinks an eye if you were to spend $100 a month on a cut and color with potentially hazardous hair frying chemicals and heat.

anax
November 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I rent a room within a hairdressers and the lady I share it with always does things for them in return of a free haircut/style. They keep hinting all the time to give me a haircut or highlights etc where i in return would do a free treatment on them. Its so awkward haha feel like I need to do something for free but don't want them touching my hair!!!

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Everytime I ask ANYBODY not on LHC any hair question, they always say, Maybe a trim would help.
It's not because my ends are ragged or uneven, even if I wasn't a curly (that doesn't happen much to us), I have my hair up all the t ime.
It's jsut the received wisdom in our society about hair. when in doubt, cut.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I'm the opposite. I have to beg my stylist to cut mine. She is microtrim only on me.
I was always harassing her to cut more layers, more length.
Now at SL I really regret it and will now take her advice and grow it back out.
Before her however, I never met a stylist who understood what a micro trim was. To them a quarter inch means 4!
I never know if they are stubborn or inept and are taking it shorter to correct some overcut they were hiding.

I am looking forward to my hair growing long enough to SD without a mirror! That makes my insane!
I love my stylist but kinda looking forward to saving $