PDA

View Full Version : Maintain or grow

ZenaZoo
November 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I can't come to a decision
i have about 2.5-3 inches until my final layer is gone.
My hair is just past hip.

Now do I cut off my last few ends which are a bit thin and full of white dots. No splits.
Back to the start of hip
Or do I grow that 2.5-3 inches to bcl then cut back to solid hip from bcl

orvagain grow til my last layer is bcl then cut the excess

im stuck and getting bored with my last few whispy ends.

Ive ve been maintaining hip for about 3-4 months now and getting tired since I'm so close!!!

what do you think?

rose313
November 15th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I personally would trim since I strongly prefer blunt ends on me, but if they don't annoy you that much I don't blame you if you just leave them.

Crumpet
November 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
If they have white dots, I would trim them. They're going to break off and self-trim anyway. You might as well start fresh. It will probably feel like your hair is growing faster since you won't be dealing with as much breakage.

bunzfan
November 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Are the dots from scissors that aren't sharp enough i had this too and that was the culprit i believe i'm in a similar dilemma as yourself i've decided to S & D for a year and then trim back for a blunt hem in the summer . depends what you want more length or nice ends if you wear it up mostly grow it as much as you can bear it before trimming back how far away are you from BCL?? if you are close i would say trim off the damaged bits and keep going :D

Madora
November 15th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Definitely trim at least half an inch to get rid of those white dots.

Johannah
November 15th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I'd trim because of the white dots.

ZenaZoo
November 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hi there. The white dots are just all over. I bought sone new scissors a few months ago but no difference. I think it may just be old damage and from where I tie my hair off from braiding
I'm currently that 2.5-3 inch off bcl.
I'm not I verly fussed. Just bored and it's that.....last......tiny.....bit to wait that bugs me.
Hmmm

KellieMai
November 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Why not trim half your growth each month. (around 1/4 of an inch a month or 1/2 an inch every 2 months if that's easier, assuming you grow the average 1/2 inch per month) that way you still gain length but get rid of the layers quicker

sourgrl
November 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I'd be concerned the white dots would develop into splits, leading to the need of a bigger trim later. I'd trim enough to be rid of the dots.

Lyv
November 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I'd trim off the white dots at least and then trim gradually to get rid of the layers.

AmyBeth
November 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Why not trim half your growth each month. (around 1/4 of an inch a month or 1/2 an inch every 2 months if that's easier, assuming you grow the average 1/2 inch per month) that way you still gain length but get rid of the layers quicker

This is what I would do. You might want to look into catnip treatments, I think it might be ideal for you to maintain the damaged bits as you trim them off, and to help prevent the damage from traveling up the hair shaft.

Madora
November 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Ktani's catnip article:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111221163407/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Isilme
November 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
White dots are damage and damage breeds more damage. Get rid of that last layer once and for all! :)

nobeltonya
November 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I would probably cut off the thin stuff back to hip, so it's healthier. Especially if it's only a few inches. Then you can keep growing and dust or microtrim when necessary. :) :disco:

Leafy
November 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'd have 2 options if I was in your situation, depending if you want to go to a salon or do this yourself. I've had white dots too at the end of my hair and I didn't get them trimmed- my hair just got worse, breaking off and making my hair look a mess. It was terrible.

Go to a hair dresser as they'll have professional equipment (scissors, clippers, etc), that shouldn't cause more hair damage, obviously.
Just make sure you explain to them very clearly what you want, what your goals are - even show them by holding your hair exactly how much you want off, to prevent the hairdresser just estimating, especially if you have a different definition of 'an inch' than they do. They should be able to tell if they bother to analyse your hair properly, but make sure you let them know of the white dot damage so you can discuss together a solution you can both agree to that will help your hair's health the most.

If you want to sort your hair out yourself, then make sure you invest in proper hairdressing scissors, and if you have already been doing this, make sure you're not just going for the cheap kind that are probably being branded as 'good quality', etc. My scissors for my hairdressing training are so sharp that they cut through hair like melted butter, I love them.
You'll need to look at your hair and choose a good amount to cut off whilst getting rid of your damage, because if you don't get rid of them, it'll get worse and pretty ugly. And make sure you can cut your own hair, of course. xD

I would suggest in future that you keep up a trim every 4-10 weeks to get rid of any split ends. You don't need to cut off an inch each time - just enough to get rid of any damage. So dusting / microtrimming will be a good idea, but I do not recommend just neglecting your hair by not cutting it at all - a tiny cut when it really needs it is better than not at all. Neglecting your hair doesn't look good and you can tell if you know what to look for.

Good luck! :)

lapushka
November 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
If your ends are full of white dots, I'd trim those off. It's a lot of breakage waiting to happen if you don't. But I got from chin to hip with hair full of white dots, so... who am I to judge or make a decision for you? I say do whatever feels comfortable to you.