PDA

View Full Version : One part of my hair is super glossy....but the other part?

sarahthegemini
November 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I did a search on this it and a few articles came up but there didn't appear to be an actual solution, so I figured I'd ask again and see if anyone has since discovered one. The short of it is: My underlayers look glossy and so so healthy, my outerlayer, not so much. It doesn't feel dry and/or frizzy but it does look duller, and frizzy. I of course assume this is due to weathering exposure so it needs to grow out but are there any other methods to combat this? Using a LI doesn't help. Would a pre-wash treatment help?

TIA!

two_wheels
November 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I wonder if it's a 2a thing- mine is the same. If I pin it up whilst wet, it behaves much better. Interested in what others have to say!

lapushka
November 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Nope. I have 2a hair too and my hair is never (hardly ever) frizzy.

My hair's washed with a harsh sulfate shampoo, yes, but the hair is conditioned twice (twice!) after that, then comes a leave-in *and* a serum from the ears down (not just the very tippy tips), then gel follows for styling (Eco Styler/IC Fantasia/LA Looks).

askan
November 14th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I have exactly the same thing. I think my frizz comes from sleeping on cotton pillowcases, weather and always having my hair up in a ponytail and all other kinds of things just my outer layer has had to deal with. I have 1c hair, I think, but while the underlayers almost get a bit curly, the outer layer is more straight.
I notice the frizz kind of calms down one day after washing.

I just got a satin pillowcase and banned myself from ponytailholders and i really hope to be able to grow it out. I sometimes use some gel to just smooth out the frixx, but it would be good to put something more protective on the top layer.

two_wheels
November 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Ooh, lapushka, what leave-in and serum do you use?

bananahanna
November 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Perhaps use a little bit of jojoba oil on the canopy! I have the same thing happen to my hair and doing that makes my hair feel so so soft (too soft I want to keep touching it)

lapushka
November 15th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Ooh, lapushka, what leave-in and serum do you use?

I used to have got2b smooth operator and that's a fantastic (coney) leave-in, but because it became unavailable where I live, I now have Pantene's Naturefusion leave-ins (there are two different ones, have them both).

My serums/oils vary and are all equally nice. I have IC Fantasia serums predominantly (the white one, the olive one and the one for frizzy hair). They are really nice and do *not* get gloopy after time (which is important). I also have the Chi Silk Infusion serum (expensive and wouldn't recommend because it does get gloopy in the bottle after a while). Sometimes it's just plain old (2 drops of) mineral oil.

schnibbles
November 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I have the opposite going on. My underlayers are frizzy, not glossy and misbehave where the top layer isn't like that at all.
weird.

verenikiscoma
November 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Mine does it too. I figured it's the weather as it is always better in the summer when the humidity is not as bad, and i always have my hair in a bun so the under-layers don't have to deal with it so much. I have been experimenting with Kimberlily's defrizz spray and I think I am onto something although I need to learn to use the right amount as I am terribly clumsy with quantities...

Audhumla
November 15th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I'd say from my experience it's very likely to be mechanical damage from updos or just combing/brushing.
If you use a comb or brush on your canopy and/or wear updos frequently then that's probably it.
I find that light oiling (~one drop) with a light oil like sweet almond oil on dry hair on the canopy after washing works to somewhat fix the appearance but you should avoid any hairstyles that have hair ties or clips (or twisting, that can also cause damage if done repeatedly or tightly) in the length of your hair. Try wearing a braid that's fixed at the end with a hair-friendly elastic.

Demi-Plum
November 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Have you tried a shine infuser (enchanter)? It helps to add shine to your hair. Chi has one and so does BioSilk. I've tried both, but I personally prefer Chi's version more. You just rub a small amount into your palms and apply it while your hair is damp. I've noticed that it also makes my hair a bit softer for some reason.

thirstylocks
November 17th, 2013, 12:09 AM
my 2a hair is exactly like this too :(

catasa
November 17th, 2013, 02:24 AM
My 2a-3a hair is also exactly like this... :( My canopy has been much better since switching to silk pillow cases, that makes a big difference, to the point where I now always bring a silk pillowcase along when travelling to avoid even one night on cotton :) It didnīt solve the whole problem though and especially not for the lenghts. I think it is mostly a mechanical damage thing, the top layer is the layer that have to handle the worst of everything "external" after all, and usually gets the most of products/shampoo/hot shower water etc...

I think it is hard to avoid this completely but my hair has generally been much better since starting to use mineral oil as leave-in, that may be something to try (just spread a few drops all over wet palms and stroke over/spread through lengths and a little on top of the canopy). My hair also got much shinier and softer when I stopped using conditioner (yes, strange, I know...), I think that they just built up on me instead of doing any good, maybe due to my hair type, water etc.