PDA

View Full Version : How do/did you decide on your goal length?

LauraLongLocks
November 14th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I hadn't really thought of a length goal until I joined LHC and it asked in my profile setup what my length goal was. I only knew I had long hair, and wanted it longer, but no idea how long. So far, I am fairly certain that once I make it to waist, I won't ever want it shorter. In learning to style my hair, I am finding that just another inch or two would make it so much easier, and that I want to grow out all my layers (braid shredders). So, what factors have you considered when deciding how long to grow your hair?

Squiggy
November 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I want to get back to hip, where I was for years before cutting it all off! Then I want to grow out my layers! I may move on to TBL or classic, but I'm not sure.

makeminea99
November 14th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I'd say I agree with most of your reasons. Part of it for me was happening upon Torrin Paige's Youtube channel, I'd been toying with getting my hair cut shorter again as I'd become stuck in a rut with it, only ever wearing a ponytail, type of thing. I think the first video of hers I saw was a nautilus bun, and I followed her directions on my own hair while watching and - hey presto! It worked! So I watched more . . . then thought, 'ooh, my hair's a bit short for that one, but maybe in a few months I'll try again'. Of course, it was also she who pointed me in the direction of LHC! :)
I think my initial goal may have been tailbone, but I've been wondering lately how classic might look. I'm already in unchartered territory!
Ooh, I'm rambling. I think I answered your questions. Kind of!

monsoonstorm
November 14th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I thought the same thing myself when I went back to do my profile.

To be honest, I still don't know. I will probably maintain somewhere around BSL (where I am now) until I've grown out the last of my salon dye. I want to be rid of the damage. Now I've switched to henna it's fairly obvious where that demarcation lies! It's going to take quite a while. Once the damage is gone and I've finally figured what my hair likes I can start thinking about goal length.

endlessly
November 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I would love to continue to grow it out as long as I can as long as it stays in good health and is still (relatively) easy to maintain. My goal currently is classic length, but i have to agree that I never gave it much thought before LHC. I never even really realized just how long it was getting until I caught it on everything and people continuously asked me about it!

endlessly
November 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'd say I agree with most of your reasons. Part of it for me was happening upon Torrin Paige's Youtube channel, I'd been toying with getting my hair cut shorter again as I'd become stuck in a rut with it, only ever wearing a ponytail, type of thing. I think the first video of hers I saw was a nautilus bun, and I followed her directions on my own hair while watching and - hey presto! It worked! So I watched more . . . then thought, 'ooh, my hair's a bit short for that one, but maybe in a few months I'll try again'. Of course, it was also she who pointed me in the direction of LHC! :)
I think my initial goal may have been tailbone, but I've been wondering lately how classic might look. I'm already in unchartered territory!
Ooh, I'm rambling. I think I answered your questions. Kind of!

Torrin Paige is the only reason I started styling my long hair, so I owe a huge credit to her, too!

Tail Feathers
November 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
i knew forever that i wanted at least mid-thigh length hair . . .
my great grandmother had it, and also a friend of mine when i was a child...

i did not begin to understand that Maybe i can have it, too
until i -by chance- found Torrin Paige and LHC and also a lady
from the Middle East gave me some healthy hair tips . . .

anyway,
i suppose i would like mine to be at least mid-thigh

(of course, i do not know what my terminal length is, though . . .
now i'm between tailbone and classic...)

Madora
November 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
This scene from Shirley Temple's THE LITTLE PRINCESS made the biggest impression on me years ago:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/LittlePrincesscropRGandAnitaL.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/LittlePrincesscropRGandAnitaL.jpg.html)

Of course Anita Louise is wearing a wig...but I couldn't take my eyes away from such glorious hair. In 6 months, mine should be at knee..I hope!

Rio040113
November 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
My mind changes as I grow, I have a sort of goal but in reality I'll just keep on growing until I'm happy, it'll be interesting to see where that is exactly :) I originally wanted to get back to waist, as I'd chopped back from there, then I fancied hip, it seemed so exotic and long but now I'm on the way to BCL and my hair still feels short to me :lol:

vindo
November 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM
When I started growing out from a long bob, I did not have a goal. But wheneverI reached a milestone I liked it so much I decided to grow longer. It was exiting new territory to me because I never had it very long. While growing I decided I like my hair better really long.
Now it is not new to me anymore, but I still prefer my hair long.

Ambystoma
November 14th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Wow Madora - that picture is really pretty!

I decided on somewhere between tailbone and classic by looking at pictures of other people and seeing what appealed to me most. I'm still not quite sure of my exact goal length but I'll stay at tailbone for a while when I get there to thicken the ends and then see if I want to go longer - I can always cut back to TBL anyway :)

askan
November 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I knew a girl with hiplength, very beautiful and healthy hair, and I made a bet with her that some day I would grow my hair longer than hers!
That was maybe 5 years ago and I've done a lot of stupid things with my hair since then, but it would be cool in a couple of years if I actually would reach her length.. I aim for waist rather than hiplength, but I'm much taller than her :P

Amapola
November 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
When I joined LHC I chose a goal that seemed really far-fetched at the time. I based it on watching videos of people brushing their knee-length hair, and being concerned I could not do it well, so my stated goal (45" as I recall) is about fingertip length on me. I thought, well, if it's the same length as my arms, I should be able to brush and braid it and so on. I thought I would not be able to work with it, were it longer than that.

Like with anything, the more you learn about it, the more you change your mind. I'm still sticking with fingertip, but I'll just have to see when I get there. If my hair is a burden, I'll cut it back to where I like it. So far, to my astonishment, the longer it has gotten the easier it is to deal with, for some odd reason. So at this point I will strive to reach fingertip length, and once I get there, I'll consider my options and possibly change my mind.

~honeyflower~
November 14th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I make decisions based on what looks good on me. Last year, I had my big chop to collarbone and I started taking pictures ever since. The lengths I like thus far are posted in my album so I can look back on them without the worry about them getting deleted. I know I want somewhere between WL and CL so, I will compare until I like what I see :D

goldcopperbrown
November 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Well I liked the idea of growing mine ALMOST to my butt. I didn't know how many inches that was, so I took out a tape measure and got 33". I guess I've always just liked hair that length, especially because I was close to it in 8th grade before I acted like a dunce and cut all my hair off over a boy.

sparrowswing
November 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM
When I joined LHC, my hair was pretty close to TBL. At that point I wasn't really wanting to cut my hair, just learn some better ways to take care of it, because I'd never had hair that long before. At the time, I kept seeing gorgeous photos on here of classic length hair. I saw some very pretty classic hair at a convention shortly after, and that was when I decided to make that my official goal. But I chose it, not just because I loved the look of it, but because it was a mid-term, realistic, achievable goal.

Of course, a couple of months before I hit that goal, I decided I wanted to keep growing to knee. Again I kept seeing photos around the site and watching videos of gorgeous hair and wondering how my hair would look at that length. Since I was already in the "just keep growing" mindset, I figured why not? It's a longer-term goal, but still realistic and achievable, though I've decided I'll be happy with my length even if I hit terminal tomorrow.

SThr
November 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM
When I first found this place and tried to make an account, a year ago, my hair was waist length. I decided I wanted to have longer hair so I could put it up in buns a little more easily, I was aiming for hip length. Now I'm just about tailbone length (I think?) and I want mid thigh length hair, for no real season other than to have it. I think the most frustrating part is trying to grow out my bangs at the same time, they reach to the tip of my nose now.

trolleypup
November 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM
When I joined I was already past classic...when the question came up for the profile, I answered floor-length for lack of a better answer. After I spent years at my join length of 53" I added '*' to the 77in since it was past what I though was terminal. I haven't taken the '*' off now I am growing again...and I don't think I would cut if I made it to 77".

mariakatija
November 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Before I joined I wanted TBL hair because I thought that that was the longest I wanted... but now I really want at least classic. I'm thinking mid-thigh.

Ashflower89
November 14th, 2013, 07:44 PM
The longest my hairs' ever been is about BSL in middle school. I haven't seen that length since then though, and would be thrilled to see it again. But I decided to just take the next milestone step from my "current record" and go for waist.

wrh452
November 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I just want to get my hair back to waist like it was before I cut it in high school. But I have been debating going to tailbone because that is what I had when I was little. We will see. I just don't want to ever sit on it.

PraiseCheeses
November 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM
My goal length is a balance between something strikingly long (at least tailbone), the ability to do certain styles (coronet braid, helix bun, log roll), something flattering to my body, and being able to maintain a decent hemline. So I'm not sure yet. :) I know I want to grow to at least tailbone, but I'll probably need more length to do the aforementioned styles to my satisfaction. I'm really hoping for mid- or lower thigh before I get to terminal. We'll see.

0xalis
November 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM
At first I wanted my hair to get back to waist, where it was in the 5th grade before I cut it.
Then I met a girl with beautiful TBL hair [for the longest time I thought it was hip length, lol! Thanks to LHC I realized i was wrong on that one.] and since then I haven't shaken my want for that hair! I kept telling myself it was impossible, that my terminal was probably waist, but then I decided: SCREW THAT! I'm gonna aim for my goal, even if it is unrealistic. I'm going to try anyway.

Schipperchow
November 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I have liked the look of TBL Hair since I was a child but hadn't thought of growing to that length or classic until I stumbled upon the now defunct Long Hair Care Site (I think that's the correct name!)

ositarosita
November 14th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I'd had my hair waist length+ for most of my life then went to college and chopped it all off .... kept it short for years .. but once I met my DH I just stopped cutting it. I wanted to look how I feel which is a mermaid lol .. my original goal was waist, that turned to hip .. then my DH chimed in and now I'm going for tailbone .. it's only about 20" away lol

Tini'sNewHair
November 14th, 2013, 09:45 PM
When i first joined LHC, I just wanted long hair, so maybe waist but once i read about different lengths and learned better ways to care for my hair, straight away i wished to have classic hair OR longer if possible. I had long hair as a child and a little bit in my teenage years... after experimenting with all sorts on my hair i have happily decided that long healthy hair is the right thing for me so here i am, verry excited to be at waist in the next 6 months :D

Gingi
November 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM
My older cousin had glorious hip length hair when we were teenagers. I've never forgotten how beautiful it was. When I got divorced, I cut my hair because I'd only kept it long for HIM. Now it's been three years, and I'm ready to have long hair for me.

Alun
November 14th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I usually say TBL, because then even idiots who didn't know where there own waist was would say I had waist length hair (LOL!) and because I think that would look good.

As it is, my hair barely reaches my real waist, only a few hairs are that long, and it doesn't seem to be growing any more, so it looks like I will never reach my goal :(

Quahatundightu
November 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM
When I joined with APL hair I wanted finger tip or mid thigh length :D I still think it is a great length, but I will be constrained by how long my hair will grow, and whether or not it will look good. I think I will try going to classic, but will probably cut back to TB for thicker ends at some point. I am between TB and classic now.

HintOfMint
November 15th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I wasn't too concerned about whether or not I could take care of it at classic length as I had decided on my new goal when it was already just above tailbone. My decision was solidified when I recalled a lovely fling with an unconventional man (with unconventional hair of his own) who loved my long hair. However, there were other factors in finally deciding upon classic.
1. Was I ready for an unusual length that may draw criticism from strangers and friends alike?
2. Can classic length hair still have a nice, thick, relatively undamaged hemline?
3. Will classic be an awkward length on me?
4. Will it be that much harder to find a hairdresser who's willing to only cut what I ask, and not assume that "at that length, what's an extra inch or five?" I love the one I have but I'm moving so I'm afraid I'm going to have to find a new one.
5. Can I still have layers at that length?
6. Will I have to change my clothing style?

I know these were weird questions to ask myself but I take my looks/style seriously. Recently, I've been trying to break away from basing my own pleasure in my looks from the rewards others may give me for them.

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I picked mine because it's something I've always wanted to try.

katniss
November 15th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I love old paintings of medieval women with ridiculously long hair! The long haired woman is such a beautiful female icon, and classic length captures that for me. A bit too long to be common, yet short enough to not sit on. I figured out it was a "thing" on lhc, of course.

Stray_mind
November 15th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I picked mine, because i allways imagine myself with beautiful, healthy, LONG hair :) And short hair doesn't really suit me that well...

katelinn
November 15th, 2013, 04:28 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB9jTRWjS6lEL6qNcL2Gkb7PaFUQRZg lUDbQcyuFE4v4BBeA3fWhen I was 9 I watched Little Womem as a cartoon-film at a birthday party, I almost cried when Jo cut her hair. I fell in love with her hair instantly.

Agnes Hannah
November 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
When I first joined LHC I plumped for waist, I've never had hair longer than BSL before, and waist is such a milestone! the beginning of really long! Now though, hip or TB might be achievable as hip is 30" and TB is 32", I'm petite. The goalposts move all the time. The beautiful pictures on this site are such inspiration.

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
In 2011 (Easter) I went to visit an elderly aunt and looked at lots of photos of my relatives in the 1920's and 1930's with their natural long ringlet curls, average was mid back length. My hair was in garbage condition and I was so depressed with it that I had started flat ironing again, after years of natural hair--I decided, I want to be natural and I want to have brastrap length natural hair like I used to as a child.

I guess I decided on bra strap because it was the longest I personally had ever been. I hit bra strap stretched this year, after 18 months but it will take a while to be bra strap visually, probably around waist?

That's my goal, because I'm sure I can achieve it.

But I sure do spend a lot of time in the knee length thread, admiring.

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I wasn't too concerned about whether or not I could take care of it at classic length as I had decided on my new goal when it was already just above tailbone. My decision was solidified when I recalled a lovely fling with an unconventional man (with unconventional hair of his own) who loved my long hair. However, there were other factors in finally deciding upon classic.
1. Was I ready for an unusual length that may draw criticism from strangers and friends alike?
2. Can classic length hair still have a nice, thick, relatively undamaged hemline?
3. Will classic be an awkward length on me?
4. Will it be that much harder to find a hairdresser who's willing to only cut what I ask, and not assume that "at that length, what's an extra inch or five?" I love the one I have but I'm moving so I'm afraid I'm going to have to find a new one.
5. Can I still have layers at that length?
6. Will I have to change my clothing style?

I know these were weird questions to ask myself but I take my looks/style seriously. Recently, I've been trying to break away from basing my own pleasure in my looks from the rewards others may give me for them.

Great considerations.

I definitely want a nice, thick hemline, no matter the length. And yes, finding a hairdresser... it's sort of a treat for myself, to go to the salon and get away for a half hour to have my hair micro-trimmed. I don't want to give that up entirely.

I love that so many people have been inspired by movies. Just think, we get to do it in real life, not with a wig, and not with an artist's pencil. :)

JessicaAnn
November 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Before my most recent chop (10/02/13) I was just past waist length with no layers except some grown out bangs. Right now I'm about halfway between shoulder and APL, with layers up to my ears going all over the place. My goal is to get to BSL with some long layers. My hair is really thick and wavy and I find that tends to be the magic length where it is long enough to weight itself down so I don't have to worry too much about shaping or styling it if I don't want (and looks really cute in a bouncy pony), but it is still manageable enough that even my impatient self can do something with it if the mood strikes me. I will probably start creeping toward waist again after APL, but I intend to keep my long layers and general shape so I can still work with it.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I wanted waist when I joined but after cutting back to SL due to damage I have reset my goal to BSL. I am now 40 and just feel BSL is something realistic I can do in a decent time frame. I could easily be content at that length since for me that is really long.

When I was very little my mom had the most gorgeous classic length hair that I admires greatly but yet never set a goal to grow it myself. She had cut it by the time I was 5 and very few people I knew had long hair so I never thought to grow or set a hair goal. I came into age up during 80s when everyone was feathered , layered , permed, teased and had bangs hair sprayed into a giant pouf of a brick wall on top of their heads. Pretty hard to grow hair when you are destroying it daily so mine remained in the CB length along with everyone else's and that's what I became used to ...even once it was time to outgrow the mullet :)

I feel a little sad to think I will never get to be young with long flowing hair. It's something I never had but secretly wanted. I have been cutting Away damage from hair mistakes my whole life and hating my hair. I'm regretful of the fact I could have been enjoying my hair all these years.

I really wish I would have found this board years ago and set a goal length.
I guess I will have to be happy with middle age with my dream hair :)

Wow that was long post but I feel strongly about wishing I had enjoyed really long hair at some point In my life.

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I wanted waist when I joined but after cutting back to SL due to damage I have reset my goal to BSL. I am now 40 and just feel BSL is something realistic I can do in a decent time frame. I could easily be content at that length since for me that is really long.

When I was very little my mom had the most gorgeous classic length hair that I admires greatly but yet never set a goal to grow it myself. She had cut it by the time I was 5 and very few people I knew had long hair so I never thought to grow or set a hair goal. I came into age up during 80s when everyone was feathered , layered , permed, teased and had bangs hair sprayed into a giant pouf of a brick wall on top of their heads. Pretty hard to grow hair when you are destroying it daily so mine remained in the CB length along with everyone else's and that's what I became used to ...even once it was time to outgrow the mullet :)

I feel a little sad to think I will never get to be young with long flowing hair. It's something I never had but secretly wanted. I have been cutting Away damage from hair mistakes my whole life and hating my hair. I'm regretful of the fact I could have been enjoying my hair all these years.

Wow that was long post but I feel strongly about wishing I had enjoyed really long hair at some point In my life.

I'm going to be 37 next month, but I still think I can have flowing long hair of whatever length I wish, at any age. It's not too late to grow it out, even at 40. There are many over 40 on this forum with longer hair than me. They are such an inspiration. You are as young as you feel, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

GeoJ
November 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM
When I first started growing my hair long, I don't remember having specific goals, but I had been inspired mostly by Princess Leia. I loved it when I could start doing her hairstyles! After I found the LHC, I maintained at classic length for a while (and thickened my hemline). Then I got a sudden itch to try for knee, and I think it was inspired by photos I saw here.

I was very happy to have reached knee, and now I want to get back to knee. (I lost so much hair from health problems that I only had a few stringy bits left hanging from my shoulders down, and my length started shortening as I lost more hair. It became terrible to work with (detangling & styling), so I cut back to BSL and held there until recovery). Now it's nearing tailbone length, so I still have a long way to go!

Madora
November 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'm going to be 37 next month, but I still think I can have flowing long hair of whatever length I wish, at any age. It's not too late to grow it out, even at 40. There are many over 40 on this forum with longer hair than me. They are such an inspiration. You are as young as you feel, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

^^^^ To the max!

martyna_22
November 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM
At first my goal was only BSL. At that time it seemed so long.. No wonder, I was at chin. I'd only been longer than heavily layered, ratty APL when I was 8. So I started growing.. I got to BSL in the nick of time. My next goal was waist, which I reached less than a month ago. But a week ago I decided to cut my straight-across hemline into a v-ish one. Myself. When I first saw the results, I cried.. and then everybody told me it's really nice! It's growing on me, too. So I'm half an inch shy of waist, aiming for at least hip, or TBL. My inspiration was LHC, obviously!

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Agree but BSL will take at least 2.5 years I am guessing so I am going to be thrilled to get to that! That will feel very long to me. Just want somethkng long while still in early 40s hence why I said I will have to have my dream hair in middle age. I consider 40s middle age no matter how young I may feel.

how long it did it take you to grow to current length and what was you starting point when you became conscience of wanting it grow? I am no good on calculating and predicting when I can be at a certain length .

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=LauraLongLocks;2565933]I'm going to be 37 next month, but I still think I can have flowing long hair of whatever length I wish, at any age. It's not too late to grow it out, even at 40. There are many over 40 on this forum with longer hair than me. They are such an inspiration. You are as young as you feel, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)[/

i think my post was misunderstood . I meant although I am growing now and think BSL is something I can get to in a reasonable time, hence it being a goal for me , I will always wish I had long hair when I was younger. I hated my hair my whole life and it would have been nice to be able to have not stressed so much about it in the past when I could have enjoyed it with proper care. I fought with short layers so many times when I could have been having fun!
Never felt 40s was to old for it. Just disappointed I waited so long to get the long hair journey just started.

Honestly it really hard even setting BSL + goal as its so hard to visualize myself with long hair when it's been approx the same SL/APL almost BSL but then ruin it routine my whole life.

I almost need to see it. Perhaps a photoshop pic or something to keep the goal insight. Just really interested in trying it once in my life but will always be wistful I didn't do it sooner.

rose313
November 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I decided on tailbone because it's my favorite length to look at on others, so I figured it would look the best on me as well. I don't think I'll grow it longer than tailbone because I don't want to sit on it and get it stuck on things, and get it pulled. I'm at waist now and am not annoyed with it yet.

TrapperCreekD
November 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I was already waist length when joined and didn't have a super specific goal, just wanted it to be a few inches longer. I was confused about waist length, thinking it was waist band instead of natural waist, but once I sorted out the markers, I realized my goal was hip. With my shrinkage, I'll probably need at least tailbone length to get hip! :p Waist to TBL is my favorite length - I probably won't grow any longer (assuming I don't hit terminal), I don't need to add to the damage by accidentally sitting on it, but I may change my mind when I get there!

Crumpet
November 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I picked waist, but I really meant hip (I was confused :o) because my hair had been at that length before and I loved it. I suspect I may wish to grow longer though...I'll probably want to stop growing if it doesn't look as healthy anymore or if it becomes harder to care for. I'm at a length where it gets easier and easier to do updos so that's great encouragement!

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Erin Leigh, there are people on this board who have not only waist length, but much longer, after 40 years old.
Wait and see what happens after you get the healthiest hair of your life. You can't be young again, but you CAN get your dream hair. and LHC helps you to stop hating your hair. You've only been on about a month, I can tell you that in six months your hair will be very different and just wait for a year!

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=LauraLongLocks;2565933]I'm going to be 37 next month, but I still think I can have flowing long hair of whatever length I wish, at any age. It's not too late to grow it out, even at 40. There are many over 40 on this forum with longer hair than me. They are such an inspiration. You are as young as you feel, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)[/

i think my post was misunderstood . I meant although I am growing now and think BSL is something I can get to in a reasonable time, hence it being a goal for me , I will always wish I had long hair when I was younger. I hated my hair my whole life and it would have been nice to be able to have not stressed so much about it in the past when I could have enjoyed it with proper care. I fought with short layers so many times when I could have been having fun!
Never felt 40s was to old for it. Just disappointed I waited so long to get the long hair journey just started.

Honestly it really hard even setting BSL + goal as its so hard to visualize myself with long hair when it's been approx the same SL/APL almost BSL but then ruin it routine my whole life.

I almost need to see it. Perhaps a photoshop pic or something to keep the goal insight. Just really interested in trying it once in my life but will always be wistful I didn't do it sooner.

I understand what you are saying better now. I, too, never had the long hair of my dreams when I was younger. I have been figuring 1 centimeter or almost 1/2 inch a month, and have been pleasantly surprised when my growth has been faster than that. I had a pixie cut in May 2008. Now I am at MBL. I actually kept it short at a pixie, and then a bob for a while before deciding to let it grow. At age 37, I'm still pretty hot, if I don't say so myself, ha ha! So, I'm a late bloomer. Good things come to those who wait, right?

norsbaby85
November 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM
It was two years ago when I was between SL and APL hair when I decided I officially wanted to grow it to BSL and since I achieved that last spring I am looking at going to waist but it has been a process since I am trying to grow out old hair dye and trying to get my hemline thicker so i have been mainly maintaining at BSL. So frustrating, but will be worth it!

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I understand what you are saying better now. I, too, never had the long hair of my dreams when I was younger. I have been figuring 1 centimeter or almost 1/2 inch a month, and have been pleasantly surprised when my growth has been faster than that. I had a pixie cut in May 2008. Now I am at MBL. I actually kept it short at a pixie, and then a bob for a while before deciding to let it grow. At age 37, I'm still pretty hot, if I don't say so myself, ha ha! So, I'm a late bloomer. Good things come to those who wait, right?[/QUOTE]

HA I need to learn that. I really hope so. I am notoriously impatient hence all the frustrated cuts that may have been able to be babied. I'm so glad for you that you made it. I just calculated BSL will be in 13 months if I dont cut, probably one year with microtrims. That's exciting now that I have a timeline to go with the goal. Late bloomer it is!
It's really cool to hear your story of how you made it here. Thank you for sharing. It doesn't seem like an unrealistic goal anymore. My secret goal is waist so who knows....
If I keep applying what I am learning I guess it is all possible. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 07:19 AM
It was two years ago when I was between SL and APL hair when I decided I officially wanted to grow it to BSL and since I achieved that last spring I am looking at going to waist but it has been a process since I am trying to grow out old hair dye and trying to get my hemline thicker so i have been mainly maintaining at BSL. So frustrating, but will be worth it!

You will do it! And who knows, some of these dyed "ombres" look amazing so maybe you can grow and microtrim and do both! Trim the dye AND get to your goal.
Is it harder maintaining when you want longer hair or are you just super patient?

ceruleansky
November 16th, 2013, 07:34 AM
When I first joined I was just wanting to grow quickly back to my former lengths of waist/hip. I thought I'd set my goal at classic, but having spent some time here I have reconsidered that and now really want to grow my hair to knee length.

LauraLongLocks
November 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM
HA I need to learn that. I really hope so. I am notoriously impatient hence all the frustrated cuts that may have been able to be babied. I'm so glad for you that you made it. I just calculated BSL will be in 13 months if I dont cut, probably one year with microtrims. That's exciting now that I have a timeline to go with the goal. Late bloomer it is!
It's really cool to hear your story of how you made it here. Thank you for sharing. It doesn't seem like an unrealistic goal anymore. My secret goal is waist so who knows....
If I keep applying what I am learning I guess it is all possible. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Oh, I'm not at my goal length yet. I'm here, learning as I grow. I know I definitely don't want to ever be shorter than waist, once I reach waist. Likely, I'm headed for knee length or beyond, because I really want to know if I can grow it that far, and still have a thick, beautiful hemline. Once I reach waist, I am considering a pause to grow out the last of my layers (about 3"), but might decide to only trim half of my growth each month so I can keep growing, instead of a full-stop.

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Great considerations.

I definitely want a nice, thick hemline, no matter the length. And yes, finding a hairdresser... it's sort of a treat for myself, to go to the salon and get away for a half hour to have my hair micro-trimmed. I don't want to give that up entirely.

I love that so many people have been inspired by movies. Just think, we get to do it in real life, not with a wig, and not with an artist's pencil. :)

Thanks! And, YES someone understands my love for getting my hair done! I get so sad when someone says self-trimming is the only option when you want to keep long hair. I feel like, "I think I could find that unicorn hairstylist who will respect my wishes, no problem!" Discouraged but still hopeful, if that makes any sense.

nobeltonya
November 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I hadn't even thought about a long term length goal until probably the last year or so.. when I first started growing, I'd always set small [not the generally accepted] goals, like the middle of my upper arm, elbow, etc. And I didn't even realize I was at waist when I reached it.. but once I hit TB in April 2012, I started wanting to reach Classic. Then, as I got closer to Classic, I figured on fingertips. And I'm still setting my sights on it. I shall attain it! Eventually... it seems to have stalled again. :/ :disco:

LauraLongLocks
November 16th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks! And, YES someone understands my love for getting my hair done! I get so sad when someone says self-trimming is the only option when you want to keep long hair. I feel like, "I think I could find that unicorn hairstylist who will respect my wishes, no problem!" Discouraged but still hopeful, if that makes any sense.

I totally think good hair stylists are out there. When you find one you like that treats your hair like the fine antique lace that it is, that's the one to keep. I actually had one a few months back that did an excellent job and treated my hair very nicely. I just wish I knew her name so I could request her again! I should go back to that salon and see if I can find her for my next trim, and if she's not there, I won't get my trim. Another stylist at that same salon ripped through my tangles (that she caused when she washed my hair) and used a brush on it with those little ripping nubs, when it was WET! EEEkkk! At least she didn't take off too much hair. She merely treated it like it was baling twine.

And with my large family, sometimes getting out to the store by myself, or stopping for a half hour to be pampered at the salon is the highlight of my week.

The more I'm around all these other long-hairs, the longer I want my hair to be. When I imagine super long hair, it's at least hip to TBL. And I think that *could* be where I want to stop, but then, I want to know if I could have an awesome, thick hemline at knee or beyond.

norsbaby85
November 17th, 2013, 05:17 AM
You will do it! And who knows, some of these dyed "ombres" look amazing so maybe you can grow and microtrim and do both! Trim the dye AND get to your goal.
Is it harder maintaining when you want longer hair or are you just super patient?

I would say its harder to maintain, but at the same time I dont want straggly looking ends either so I have to make patience. I was just doing micro-trims at first, been doing that since last january, but the last few months I have been doing 1/2'-1" trims because when I dyed my hair last april it trashed my ends. But I may hold off on any trimming til New Years just to see how my ends old up.

vikavegan_fr
November 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I kind of always liked long hair, but mine were never long. Sometimes I was browising through pics in the internet of long hair for inspiration, and to me, the most appealing length seemed to be between waist and tailbone. That's how I imagine my goal today.

XcaliburGirl
November 17th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I originally picked waist because I knew I wanted my hair long enough to make a good reliable bun. At the time, I didn't realize that I could do that at APL, since I had always kept my hair in a ponytail at that length before.

I know from past experience that classic is too long for my tastes. (Aesthetically, I like it. It it just annoys me practically.)

I still like waist because it's long enough to be longer than average. Plus I feel like it's definitely within reach in the next 12 months. I may decide to keep it closer to hip or tailbone, but for now waist is the goal.

Soltimus
November 17th, 2013, 07:46 AM
When I came here I didn't really know how far I was going to take it. My plan was to grow my hair out until I lost my patience with it, ha ha. It's kind of a little experiment with my patience, this hair growing ;-) Anyway, I think I decided that TBL might be where I'd stop, but now I'm eyeing the idea of classic. I'm at waist now and growing steady. Maybe I'll stop at TBL and maintain to grow out my layers (I've REALLY started to hate them! It looks awful with all those strands of hair poking out of my plaits!).

YamaMaya
November 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I decided to start growing out my hair out 5 years ago, but it's been a slow journey so far, as I had to go through a stage where I was trimming at least once every other month to get rid of bleach damage I couldn't stand having. From this I developed some bad scissor habits and it was an extremely slow growing process once the bleach was gone. I also dyed my hair black several times, not realizing I was sabotaging my own efforts to grow, it was 2 years before I even got below shoulder length, and another 3 to reach my current length. When I joined LHC I decided on classic as that was the length I had as a child but poor hair cair and a mother who didn't really know how to care for long hair left it tatty and damaged. It had to be cut off and I've never had it longer than BSL since. I want to get back long hair so I can do all the styles I dream of having.

Karolin
November 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM
hiiiii im from sweden well half swedish half greek and i live in greece thanks for become a member , my leigh of my hair is 18cm the longest and shorter im trying for a long time to grow it longer , but difficult , hope for some good advice from all of you , please help me . i started biotin 1000mg a day and coconut oil. thanks and waiting for a lot of help

blue_eyes
November 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I decided on waist length because I always find that length of hair most attractive whenever I see it around. I also think I'd get annoyed with it if it was any longer.

HintOfMint
November 17th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I totally think good hair stylists are out there. When you find one you like that treats your hair like the fine antique lace that it is, that's the one to keep. I actually had one a few months back that did an excellent job and treated my hair very nicely. I just wish I knew her name so I could request her again! I should go back to that salon and see if I can find her for my next trim, and if she's not there, I won't get my trim. Another stylist at that same salon ripped through my tangles (that she caused when she washed my hair) and used a brush on it with those little ripping nubs, when it was WET! EEEkkk! At least she didn't take off too much hair. She merely treated it like it was baling twine.

And with my large family, sometimes getting out to the store by myself, or stopping for a half hour to be pampered at the salon is the highlight of my week.

The more I'm around all these other long-hairs, the longer I want my hair to be. When I imagine super long hair, it's at least hip to TBL. And I think that *could* be where I want to stop, but then, I want to know if I could have an awesome, thick hemline at knee or beyond.

Oh I know they're out there and I've had the pleasure of having two of them, one in NY, the other in California. Unfortunately, I'm moving soon, so I'm probably going to have to find a new one if I can't schedule a NY visit when my trim is due. And I'm NOT going all the way to NY just for a haircut.

Also, my NY stylist has been with me for 3+ years as I grew my hair out, but I'm really not sure how he's going to handle inches once my hair gets "too long" in his eyes. Maybe it's my imagination but, I feel as though stylists can be understanding of growing hair long to a certain point, whether it's BSL or TBL. But once it's past that length, they don't see the big deal in taking off another inch or two, not thinking that it's half a year's growth gone and you still have growing goals in mind. In fact, I think they assume you're maintaining length at that point.

I don't know. I'd like to think that if I ask for half an inch, he'll do that. But I'm starting to get unsure.

Earelia
November 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I used to be really impulsive when I was younger and in school and not all that confident so I would always be dying and cutting my hair. After combing out dreadlocks a few years ago I decided that I wanted long hair. I thought waist length was pretty long and was my goal but now that I'm just about there it doesn't seem long at all. I think I'll keep growing until it becomes a pain to take care of. My main reason why I wanted long hair was so I can have long dreadlocks. Now I find that I'm enjoying long silky hair so much that I don't think I'll be getting them back for a while if I even decide to do it again.

Tota
November 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I just always imagined the best possible version of me would have a TBL hair with a deep V or U hemline. I have no idea why :)

Leafy
November 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Since I was little, I wanted to have long hair like Rapunzel. I guess this is sort of why I want to have floor length hair. :)
I also rarely see people with long her - like really long hair that's probably waist length or longer and with no hair extensions.
When I do see someone with hair waist length or longer, I'm just amazed and somewhat jealous. xD

SouthernSweetie
November 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
The longest my hair has ever been as an adult has been APL. I'm about an inch and a half from that right now, and my short term goal is BSL. I've never had hair that long, and I feel like I would really love it. I've always wanted long hair, but until recently(when I found this forum), I didn't know how to take care of it in order to grow it as long as I wanted. To be honest, I really want waist length because I find that length very attractive. It will take me a very long time to grow my hair out to that point, but I'm willing to wait. Hopefully in a few years I will have it as long as I want!!
:)

dreamingstar
November 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
For most of my childhood my hair was at chin length to just above shoulder length. The first time I really saw long hair as beautiful and possibly acceptable was after watching Lord of the Rings. Silly, I know, but as a kid really long hair was a totally new concept to me. For years I didn't know how to take care of my hair, tried dyeing it neon red (it looked good, but never again!), and then went to a pixie. It took coming across LHC one day in desperation to really spur me on to try and take care of my hair. I've grown slowly into caring for my hair, and I'm so excited to see how far I can grow it! Neither my mother or my grandmother kept really long hair, or took great care of it when they did have waist-length. My goal is classic, but if it goes to knee I'll not complain!

TheVegan6
November 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
My goal is 6 inches less than terminal, because that is where I think my ends will look best with the maximum length. I won't go far past floor if I get there( Optimistic much?), but I don't know. I will just let it grow as long as it wants. My short-term goal is to be back at classic, because I just want to be back there, it was such a nice length! I am at BCL now, because I trimmed back from classic about a month ago(?), and now I am microtrimming to get better ends. I had a growth spurt from hip to BCL, and then I trimmed, and then it happened again(!!!!), and I am happy, so I will just let it grow.:magic:

ETA:
My first goal before LHC, though, was hip length(I thought it was waist at the time, silly me) because I thought it would be long when it reached that point.

CircesButterfly
January 26th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I have always wanted waist length hair and when I first joined LHC I decided it would be my first goal (and it still is) until I reach that length. I've always admired waist length hair when I see it. So instead of admiring it I decided I was ready to grow my hair out to see if I can at first reach the goal of waist. I have thought about letting grow longer than that but I do keep in mind that waist length is the first goal. It''s too mind boggling for me to think about the possibilities of having longer hair than waist length. First things first is to reach my first goal.

flemeister
January 27th, 2014, 12:02 AM
For me it was a matter of balancing practicality and length. Being the first time I've grown my hair out, waist length seems to be my threshold at the moment. Just want it to be long enough to enjoy the length, do a good variety of braids/buns, without it getting in my way, or being too time consuming to maintain. :)

emilia1992
January 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
For most of my childhood my hair was at chin length to just above shoulder length. The first time I really saw long hair as beautiful and possibly acceptable was after watching Lord of the Rings. Silly, I know, but as a kid really long hair was a totally new concept to me. For years I didn't know how to take care of my hair, tried dyeing it neon red (it looked good, but never again!), and then went to a pixie. It took coming across LHC one day in desperation to really spur me on to try and take care of my hair. I've grown slowly into caring for my hair, and I'm so excited to see how far I can grow it! Neither my mother or my grandmother kept really long hair, or took great care of it when they did have waist-length. My goal is classic, but if it goes to knee I'll not complain!

I don't think that's silly :) (or, if it is, we are silly together) as I first thought about growing my hair really long after watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and seeing Luna Lovegood's hair- that length is probably my ultimate goal.

And as for Lord of the Rings? Arwen's hair is amazing. And don't even get me started on Legolas.

Stray_mind
January 27th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Actually i haven't decided yet. First i was thinking about Waist, then i decided that i want to go longer, to TBL, but now i'm thinking about going beyond that.. I had long hair as a child and it was allways something usual to me. As a teen i had all kinds of lenghts from shoulder to midback but i realized that i feel the best with long hair and i want to go longer than i've ever been this time. Long hair is awesome and you can do so many great and beautiful updos.. I can't wait for my hair to grow long.

Verdandi
January 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I choose Hip because I wanted something that I thought I could truly achieve in a reasonable time span and still be able to consider it long, since I'm not the most patient person ( :rolleyes: ). I'm also worried that I would just get sad if I aimed for longer but never got there and then just cut it back short to forget about the defeat.

When I was a child, my hairdresser told me I wouldn't be able to grow it beyond waist, it was only a rare few who could grow their hair that long and that it was due to genetics. Today, I know that this is probably not the case, but I still don't want to aim for longer and end up disappointed....

RancheroTheBee
January 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I choose Hip because I wanted something that I thought I could truly achieve in a reasonable time span and still be able to consider it long, since I'm not the most patient person ( :rolleyes: ). I'm also worried that I would just get sad if I aimed for longer but never got there and then just cut it back short to forget about the defeat.

When I was a child, my hairdresser told me I wouldn't be able to grow it beyond waist, it was only a rare few who could grow their hair that long and that it was due to genetics. Today, I know that this is probably not the case, but I still don't want to aim for longer and end up disappointed....

There's probably quite a few people whose terminal length is probably around waist. On that note, I know for a fact that the majority of long-haired people I know do things like iron constantly or brush their hair when it's wet and so common knowledge ends up telling everyone that it usually only grows to waist. But with good care, you can probably get to your goal. The only person I've known IRL who got to hip was - you guessed it - wearing a protective style (locs), knows how to balance protein and moisture and uses WO.

I decided on TBL as my ultimate goal because I am pretty sure I'm genetically able to. The only thing I got from my mom was bad skin and her hair (but not the colour, sadly), and she got to TBL. Also, and this will probably sound silly, but when I came back here I saw someone post a length picture of TBL-ish length black hair and went, "Wow. Oh my God." It cemented a) sticking to the colour I've got now and b) gave me something to aim for. :p Wish I could remember who it was...

Verdandi
January 27th, 2014, 12:50 PM
RancheroTheBee, of course there are people who's hair hits terminal at waist (or even earlier), but nowadays I am quite sure it's due to blowfrying, flat ironing and dyeing/perming rater than actual terminal in many cases. The hairdresser that told me I wouldn't be able to grow mine longer used to cut off 2-3 inches of my hair every 8 weeks, so I sort of see why mine never got longer back then... :p

It must feel nice to know that you're genetically able to grow your hair long! :) I've never seen anyone in my family with hair longer than APL (due to horrific perming/bleach damage/modern hairstyles), so growing mine is sort of a test. Me against the unknown genetics!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 27th, 2014, 01:16 PM
My first goal when I joined the LHC was waist length because I had my hair that long as a teenager. But I think my goal is changing now from waist to Classic, because Classic looks so amazing on people here on the LHC and also because my grandmother had classic length hair until she died as an old lady. It would be a way of honouring her in a way to have my hair the same length, silly as it may sound. Plus I am curious to know if I can get my fine hair to grow to that length. And I want to shock everyone who says older women shouldn't have long hair (anything past shoulder length).

And because now that I am almost at waist now, it just feels - so SHORT! Hair dysmorphia strikes again!

Scarlet_Heart
January 27th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I was happy at waist, but I think my goal is hip. For me, personally, there is such a thing as "too long." I think my hair will look best at hip.

LauraLongLocks
January 27th, 2014, 02:31 PM
My first goal when I joined the LHC was waist length because I had my hair that long as a teenager. But I think my goal is changing now from waist to Classic, because Classic looks so amazing on people here on the LHC and also because my grandmother had classic length hair until she died as an old lady. It would be a way of honouring her in a way to have my hair the same length, silly as it may sound. Plus I am curious to know if I can get my fine hair to grow to that length. And I want to shock everyone who says older women shouldn't have long hair (anything past shoulder length).

And because now that I am almost at waist now, it just feels - so SHORT! Hair dysmorphia strikes again!

It doesn't sound silly at all. And I hear you on the hair dysmorphia. I'm the same... my hair felt long until I came to LHC. Now it's short and growing slower than ever.

ashke50
January 27th, 2014, 02:32 PM
At school I had hair around hip, and always wanted to have hair long enough I could sit on it. When I joined LHC I put hip as my goal, because I wanted to get back to where I had been. Having now got there, I put classic as the next goal (the length you can sit on it) but as I am getting closer to that I realised that I didn't have any reason to stop there, so I'm gonna see how far I can grow instead.

Once I've done that (she says, as if getting to terminal is easy!) I'll see how I find it, and maybe cut back to something shorter if it turns out I don't like it.

mariakatija
January 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Before I joined I wanted TBL hair because I thought that that was the longest I wanted... but now I really want at least classic. I'm thinking mid-thigh.

Wow. Now I am going for term. I really love the dedication it takes one to grow out his/her hair. In addition, I've always had bobs but never super long hair.

FireFromWithin
January 27th, 2014, 04:02 PM
My goal is just past TBL or a TBL plait as sitting on it would be annoying for me and it would get caught on too many things much longer than that. But I'll see what happens when I get there. 2 more years, in time for graduation!

vanillabones
January 27th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I picked hip when I joined here because I knew I wanted to grow my hair out to about that length and thought it was the most flattering length on anybody. Now being here and seeing the beautiful long hair I wish I could grow classic and beyond but I doubt that will ever happen with my fine thin hair. My goal is still hip-bcl but if it wants to grow further after I maintain there and enjoy for awhile then I certainly will let it grow to wherever it wants to!

lapushka
January 27th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I had classic length as a young teen, and I'm dying to reach it again, so reach it at least twice in my lifetime.

henné
January 27th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I really kinda didn't. Each time I 'reached my goal length,' I decided it was still too short. But now, when I'm finally almost THERE as to the longest hair I can tolerate and enjoy at the same time - my hair is throwing in the towel and has turned pure velcro. :demon: It's at BCL, btw, and it's gonna have to go.

Neptune
January 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Laura ~ I didn't have a goal length before making my profile either :) When I made it, I thought... "10 more inches, that seems like a lot. Let's go for that." But thanks to LHC, my hair grew 7 inches last year, even after two big trims!! Might be time for a new goal length soon! :happydance:

mzlbcmami
January 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Well, I've always had short hair & have always wanted it long. I get tired of the same thing FAST so I always ended up cutting it or just damaging it from using hair dye and bleach. So this time I'm not using any chemicals on my hair & hope to get to waist length or TBL! :)

cat11
January 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I guess I just saw it on a lot of people on and offline with it that looked really good and it looked like the length I would want. In my area I see people with hip and tailbone length hair pretty often, actually. Today was my first day back at college and there was someone with at least hip length hair in all of my classes. One girl had classic length hair that reached below tailbone in a braid (I talked to her for a while and she said it was classic.) So I guess just from admiring other peoples hair and just that its the visualization I like of my hair :)

FallingDarkness
January 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I hadn't really thought about it until last night when I was making my account here and it asked me.
I really don't want my hair to get unmanageable, and for me there definitely is a thing as "too long". Probably as soon as you can sit on your hair is when it's just too long for my taste. I mean, it's still gorgeous, but... Not for me. :P
I think that waist length seems like at least a good starting goal for me. Waist length hair is just long enough to be considered really long, and to get attention from other people, and if it's kept well then it will be GORGEOUS, but not too long to get in the way of things.

GreaseMonkey
January 27th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I will decide as soon as my hair gets to the terminal length. Let's see what that is!! Hair-growth free-for-all!!

ravenheather
January 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I couldn't decide. So I will let my hair decide, terminal it is.

Eliska
January 27th, 2014, 08:02 PM
The longest I've had my hair before was waist (though with awful ends), and it's the most flattering length on me other than shorter-than-shoulder. My hair definitely looks best when it's longer than mid-back.

I might try for longer once I hit waist, but I think I probably won't. I don't want to be able to sit on my hair, and since I can almost do most of the buns I want to at my current length, I think waist will be long enough for all the styles I'm likely to want to do.

trolleypup
January 27th, 2014, 10:03 PM
It doesn't sound silly at all. And I hear you on the hair dysmorphia. I'm the same... my hair felt long until I came to LHC. Now it's short and growing slower than ever.
The dysmorphia just doesn't go away. I'm running around feeling like it is still thigh length. :rolleyes:

RapunzelKat
January 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I couldn't decide. So I will let my hair decide, terminal it is.

Love this! ^^

My goal is also terminal. Partly I'm curious to see how long it can really get, partly because it's very different from the norm, partly I just want really. long. hair. :cool:

DancingQueen
January 28th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I started growing because of a really bad cut (hairdresser, who thought I meant chin-length, when I asked for shoulder length - it did not look good on me!). I can't remember if I thought hip-length right away. Like you, I just wanted it longer. But at some point, I just decided that hip-length was such a gorgeous length, that I decided that should be my goal. Since then, I am starting to think BSL/mid-back would be nice to reach, as it takes forever to grow! But I always had a dream as a child to reach hip-length. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 28th, 2014, 01:30 AM
The dysmorphia just doesn't go away. I'm running around feeling like it is still thigh length. :rolleyes:

Oh no - am I doomed to forever feel that my hair is too short? Nooooo....

Agnes Hannah
January 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I had classic length as a young teen, and I'm dying to reach it again, so reach it at least twice in my lifetime.
OOh yes please! I've just seen a pic of your hair on another thread, it will be mindblowing at classic

chen bao jun
January 28th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I understand this feeling.
I would love it if my hair would be long enough to sit on, like my grandmother's that everyone admired. However, I set BSL as a goal because I thought it was all my hair would do. It did grow to BSL and now I am hoping I will get to waist--I have the issue that I am a curly, too and it always looks shorter (though I don't have as much shrinkage as many that I know. Right now it's bottom BSL and looks APL, so I think at waist it might look BSL. Still, I would know it was waist and be happy....

AliceRuth
January 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I have made no decision yet. I'm just going to grow it to as long as it will go, if that's an impractical length for me, then I will cut back up to wherever I found it long-but-manageable.

Marbid
January 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hmmm.... I want to grow to my ankles... Because i want it as long as possible without touching the ground... Considering i am just 2 inches shy of 5 feet tall..... I might just make it. I doubt it thou. For now i just want to grow to to right before it begins to tapper. I want a blunt hemline.

Why? Its a dream, because of anime, fantasy, very old paintings..... But the most important reason i just figured it out, but its the hardest to explain.. I crave the flow... I bet long hair like that would swing in a braid, as if i had a tail... Lol. The flow of long hair behind me would be facinating, but i dont really know how it will be untill it gets there..

For now, im just growing untill i am satisfied.

anitacs9101
January 28th, 2014, 06:57 PM
My first goal was waist and the only reason was because it sounded "long" to me :P

When I started growing out from a long bob, I did not have a goal. But wheneverI reached a milestone I liked it so much I decided to grow longer. It was exiting new territory to me because I never had it very long. While growing I decided I like my hair better really long.
Now it is not new to me anymore, but I still prefer my hair long.

Same with me. When I joined LHC my hair was somewhere around APL or BSL, and that was the longest it had ever been! Before that it had never been much longer than shoulder (ugly, grown-out-pixie-mullet shoulder lol). The longer my hair gets the more I like it.

Lostsoule77
January 28th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I never really thought about it much. When I found LHC I was around BCL to TBL, but had to trim since my ends were pretty bad. I still don't have a real goal as far as body length. My goal is to have a CL braid with a decent tail. I had thought that would be at FTL so that was loosely my goal. Now that I'm only about 2 inches away from that I don't think it will be enough. So I'll just keep growing until it is. I would love as little taper as possible as well, but that is going to take years. I'm thinking mid thigh might be what I need for the braid I want (if I can reach it.) Guess I'll have to wait and see. And if that length doesn't bother me much, and I can still take care of it well, I just might try for terminal.

sumidha
January 28th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I think when I can no longer run a brush or comb through it with one stroke detangling will become more of a chore than I want to deal with. Plus I do like to wear it down once in a while, so I don't think I'll ever have truly epic long hair... With all that in mind, my goal is a full, even hemline around fingertip length, without much braid taper.

That should definitely keep me busy for a while, I'm barely at tailbone!

EmmAutumn
January 29th, 2014, 05:45 AM
I was at WL before i bleached and cut it, so i'm trying to undo my mistake of 2 years ago. But after a lot of lurking here i decided waist isn't really that long and i may want more once i get there :p Hip? Tailbone?

LauraLongLocks
January 29th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I was at WL before i bleached and cut it, so i'm trying to undo my mistake of 2 years ago. But after a lot of lurking here i decided waist isn't really that long and i may want more once i get there :p Hip? Tailbone?

That seems to be the case with a lot of us. I'm at waist, and don't feel that mine is that long yet.

MultiCultiCurly
January 29th, 2014, 07:05 PM
At first waist length was the goal for me, but now that my longest layers reach waist, I'm realizing I'm not happy with that length. I want to grow out my layers and have curls that cascade all around, hugging my arms down to my elbows :crush:. So I guess that'd be hip length, no layers? I may want to go longer once I get there, but I'd have to see how the maintenance is....

ETA: Oh, and since I only count my hair length as it is curly, my actual hair length would probably end up having to be around classic I'm thinking (right now it's truly just about bcl, with most of my layers closer to hip).

veryhairyfairy
January 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM
My ultimate goal length is ever-changing. :rolleyes:

Like many LHCers, when I started out lurking on this site, it took me no time at all for my dream length to go from Hip to Classic. I've been steadily thinking about CL for a long time because of one style I want to do: a faux crown braid.

Over the last 6 months or so, however, I've realized that now I just want to see what it does when it's all healthy.
But it will be YEARS before it's even all healthy hair, so I'm being patient and focusing on health above all else for now.

sunrider_bby
January 30th, 2014, 06:31 AM
As my mom always cut my hair short when I was a girl, I got more and more determined on having long hair. I even played putting all my hair bows in a ponytail so it would look like the bows were long hair hahaha.

I grew it to MBL but never reached WL, my goal from when I was a little girl. But at 17 I cut it to a short bob because I got tired of always wearing a ponytail. It grew again and last winter I said ok, now you can go for WL! I was BSL. Then I saw beautiklove and torrinpaige on Youtube and said I WANT THAT! So I supose I'll stop at HL, but after joining LHC, maybe I will let it grow as long as I can.

Zebra Fish
January 30th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I was moving around apl-bsl for a while coz of too big trims. And I wanted mbl. As soon as I started googling about hair I changed that to wl, and once I found LHC (was a long time lurker at first :p ) I want tbl. But first to wl (hopefully by summer) and then maintain it a while there before continue the trip :) I just hope that once I reach WL I will finaly start feeling as a long hair :p

grimsqueaker
January 31st, 2014, 03:47 PM
I don't really have a set goal right now, but I would like to be at least to TBL, because when my hair was at it's longest, it was hip length and TBL will be my new personal best. I'll most likely decide to go for classic length though, because after seeing so much beautiful long hair on here, I don't think that TBL will be enough! :p We'll see what I decide on when I get there!

heartgoesboom
February 1st, 2014, 10:14 PM
I really want classic! I think it's because that was the longest I reached when I was younger. I may try to go past it but I dunno. I like my hair down more than up. I bet it will be so damaged before I can go past my goal. Ahh!

Long_hair_bear
February 1st, 2014, 10:23 PM
I don't really have a goal... I more have milestones. Just hit waist, on my way to hip, tailbone, and beyond!

Islandgrrl
February 1st, 2014, 10:39 PM
I never got to enjoy long hair as a kid, either, ErinLeigh. But I sure can enjoy it now!

I don't know that I really have a goal length. I'm just letting it grow and when I decide im ready to maintain then I will.

CurlyCap
February 2nd, 2014, 12:55 AM
I'm gonna grow until the length becomes irritating. I've been BCL stretched before, but not much longer than that. My current goal is hip length curly, which is probably between classic and thigh length stretched.

Thing is, the women in my family has always had REALLY long hair and traditionally only cut it when they married. So even with BCL hair as a kid, I felt like I had really short hair since all my cousins had classic hair and typically grew to knee length

I don't anticipate any problems, aside from the epic amount of conditioner I'm going to need. I went from a pixie to hip in 3.5 years and I gave myself 10 years to play with my hair's length. I'm also totally find with cutting my hair if I grow it to a certain length and it becomes too much. My hair is for my enjoyment, so I'll do with it what I like.

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 03:16 AM
My goal probably will change as long as I'm on this forum, haha.

monsoonstorm
February 2nd, 2014, 03:50 AM
I don't really have a goal length.

For the minute (next 3 years?) my goal is to get rid of all of the chemical dye in my current length, so I'll be doing small trims whilst trying to keep my hair at least BSL. Oh I also need to grow out the stupid layers CBL I cut into the front a few weeks ago... I was hoping to soften the front of my hair and remove some weight, but the curls took over and all they do is stick out, both when my hair is down and when it is up.

Once that is done I figured I'll just grow it to a length that I'm comfortable with, whatever works best for looks and manageability.

MissBubble
February 2nd, 2014, 03:55 AM
I like long hair but I set my goal at waist for various reasons.
My hair doesnt grow that much and I will need a lot of length because I am tall. It also grows unevenly so it will be difficult to get to tailbone or classic with a nice hemline.
It is also thin and fine so I am not sure how it would look that long.
Finally, I want a length that will not make my everyday life difficult. I mean I dont want to have to think about my hair and be conscious not to get caught on smething and have to wear it up the whole time.

But I think if I reach waist and my hair behaves nicely, I will change my goal!

Trollkona
February 2nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
When I started here on lhc in 2006 I didnt have a goal, I just wanted "really long hair". For most of the time I had waist lenght, but I reached tailbone and that's the goal I have now. I want my "old hair" back ;) Right now it's cut to bsl so I can start over without any damaged hair

Sofialu
February 2nd, 2014, 07:17 AM
I decided on waist length (based on my hair when straightened) because my hair is naturally very wavy, which shortens it and I want to be able to leave it wavy and still have decent length. When it is at waist length then I may grow to hip length, all depends on how manageable it is

Decemberrose
February 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
I decided on waist length because I had long hair all my adult life but nothing longer than BSL. I want to beat my record :) And maybe even go further some day. I think TBL is so beautiful... Cut my hair because of bleach damage so I'm currently at neck length, sigh, so long till past shoulders it seems.

Long hair is fascinating and very feminine. I feel like myself with long hair, so right now it's a big identity loss for me :(
Really adore the styles from Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. I WANT these braids so BAD!! :D

clump
February 2nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
My length is deciding itself. Haha.

A few years ago when I started growing out I thought I wanted waist length. Before I reached wl it still felt too short so I changed my goal to TBL. Now that it's close to that I'm thinking fingertip length maybe...

sunrider_bby
February 5th, 2014, 11:27 PM
When I was a little girl and saw The Return of the Jedi, I was really impressed by this picture:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxQql_EK2qGbD5DQvOMBTfz7imP-ED0o2x5lq0sRnd1UDv1GvCaw

When Han Solo takes her in his arms and turn her around, I fell in love with the way that long hair moved and I decided "one day, when my mom doesn't control how I wear my hair anymore, I will grow it to that length.

Mizumi
February 6th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I decided on classic when I realized tailbone is the longest I see in public. Yes I like to be 'different' :D and also I wanted long braid, but not long enough to sit on it. Plus I assume it will be possible to still keep my super-fine hair nice looking at classic.