PDA

View Full Version : When could you manage a figure 8/infinity?

Periwinkle
September 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It seems like most people, especially thickies, can't get their hair to hold in a figure 8 until it's about waist or longer, but mine held when my hair was above BSL and I have a 5.5" pony circumference, so I don't have thin hair!

So - when could you manage a figure 8 or an infinity?

Oddly enough, even though I have about an inch to spare when I make figure 8s, I can't do an infinity at all. Is it normal to have a difference between the two?

Miss Murphy
September 7th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I'm a bit below BSL, and I can't manage a figure 8 to save my life. Or a plain cinnamon bun. Or an orchid bun... :cry:

AJoifulNoise
September 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
At about 4.5-5" and 28-29" long. But, here's the thing: I could do it for a month and then I couldn't do it. Then I could do it again for a while.... Then not again. For me, it was a style that only worked at certain lengths.

Eboshi
September 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
My hair circumference is about 3.5" in diameter and I was able to do a passable figure-8 at mid-back length. Oddly enough, I couldn't do an infinity well until about hip-length. That was probably more due to lack of coordination than anything else. ;)

FrannyG
September 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
My circumference is 2.75 inches and I can do an infinity or a figure 8 at about 23 inches or so.

ETA: For some reason, I could make my infinity look good before I could get the figure 8 to look good. I think it's all about the fingering, because in theory there's no reason why if you can do one, you can't do the other. All I can say is try different placement areas and just practise.

1nuitblanche
September 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
My circumference is about 3.5" and I could do an infinity and a figure 8 both at BSL (so, around 26"). I never tried before then though, and I have a lot of shorter layers that... make these updos a little more... interesting, but also that make my taper exaggerated in the length, so it's like most of my circumference is thinner than that.

happymommy
September 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I still can't at 3 inch circumference and 26.25 inches length. Le sigh.

midnighttrain
September 7th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I can do an infinity now, but it's my first time trying. Haven't tried a figure 8 yet. ~4.25" circumference 36" length.

Yeesha
September 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I can't do it at the moment (but hoping for the future - I really like the Infinity...^^).
Circumference: ~4.7" (12 cm)
Length: ~28" (72 cm).

But I think this is because my ends arr thin in comparison to the rest of my hair, therefore the second loop looks ... creepy...^^.
With thicker ends I might be able to do it.

Eden Iris
September 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
A figure eight was one of the first styles I was able to do with hair around 21-22" . I've only recently been able to get an infinity to work (I think I'm around 26 or 27" now).

MadHatter
September 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I was able to manage a figure 8 at waist, but it was uncomfortably tight. Now that I'm back to a bit above waist, it's even tighter, so I won't be wearing one until I get past waist again.

SweetPea88
September 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm at waist and I can only sometimes do them. It's getting harder now that my ends are thickening up though. :shrug: My pony circumference is about 3.5-3.75 I think.

Finoriel
September 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
For me it was somewhere around hip length if I recall it right. The 8 I could form before, that was not the issue. But it did not last more than a few seconds. My hair would just slip out of the bun. I need enough length to wind some hair around the base of the bun, then it suddenly holds like glued. I guess a blunt cut made it extra hard.

Euphony
September 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
My circumference currently is 4.25", I could do a figure 8 last September fairly tight at a 4.5" circumference and 30", it would fall out and was a tad tight for about a month - then poof it began to hold like glue.

pinkprincess
September 9th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I've never tried an infinity, but I've been able to do a secure figure 8 for a few months and my hair's just below bsl and 2.5" circumference.

heidihug
September 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm an idiot, so I didn't figure out how to do a figure eight until about two months ago. Der. I probably would have been able to do it at about waist, though, as my hair is pretty fine and thin. And I still can't get an infinity to work, it looks weird and not like the picture examples.

RoseRedDead
September 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I managed my first infinity bun at a little past BSL. Granted, I can only make the two loops and then I have very little extra hair to wrap around, but it is well secured and long enough. It makes me happy, because I think the infinity bun looks awesome in my hair.

Tabitha
September 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I managed a figure 8 one fine day about 6 months ago, proudly took some photos, and have never managed again since! granted I have had a trim since then, which blunted my hemline a bit but I don't think it made THAT much difference so I am bemused as to why this is the case.

As for an infinity, nope can't do one :(

Astarte_1980
October 18th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I have still not tried it.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 18th, 2010, 04:39 AM
It's a dream for me :( I cannot even do the half-up version!

Fiordiligi
October 18th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I am about 22 inches, and the low end of ii, and I can do very small versions of these buns. They do look a little weird though, because the top loop - the bit you pull down or across - is so much thicker than the rest of the bun. As well as being on the thin and fine side,my hair seems to be pretty bendy in comparison with other people - I mean it likes being put into updos and generally stays well. I have little problem with buns even with much shorter hair than this.

jojo
October 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
oh i remember the joy of doing my first number 8 and i was 26" long and I had 4" thickness, now im 4.5" thick and 29" and i cant do them as well!

torrilin
October 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hair is currently BSL, with a very blunt hemline. I can do both figure 8 buns and infinity buns but... so far only with a Goody Modern updo pin/hairfork. The figure 8 version is a bit easier, due to how I twist and wrap my hair. I probably would need waist length hair to do it with regular hair pins or with hair sticks. The other tricky bit is a figure 8 or infinity needs the hair to be relatively loosely twisted... if I am as snugged up as I need for a stable cinnabun, it's much too snug, and it's impossible to manipulate the bun.

I can do a cinnabun starting a bit above APL, tho with my hair that short, the bun needs to be pretty high on my head. A low cinnabun can't really happen until my hair is a lot longer.

Currently have my hair in a lazy 8 bun atm... I'm playing around with how asymmetrical I can make it to get something more flattering for my very round face.

Henrietta
October 21st, 2010, 03:44 AM
It wasn't long ago for me, so I was at BSL still. I cheated of course, I pinned the end with a bobby pin, as I do not have enough hair to wrap it around the bun, but it stayed.