PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil hair mask

bryana
November 14th, 2013, 06:07 AM
when you use a coconut oil mask on your hair, do you massage it into the scalp and roots too? or do you only put it on the ends of your hair? thank you!!

duchess67
November 14th, 2013, 06:34 AM
I always massage my scalp and ends of hair with oil before washing my hair, whether it's coconut oil or any other oil.

niky45
November 14th, 2013, 06:38 AM
it depends.

If your hair tends to be greasy, most people just avoid any kind of conditioner (including oils) on the scalp.

If your hair is not, then just put it all along.

... you should try both and see what works best for you. Hair is not an exact science, and what works for you may not work for someone else...

AmyBeth
November 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Cocnut oil on the length, castor oil on the roots, preshampoo overnight.

sarahthegemini
November 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I've never put oil on scalp, I don't feel my scalp needs it! But I like oil on my length and ends.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
This is probably silly of me, but because you have to shampoo hair twice after coconut oil treatment, I feel like it defeats the purpose?
I'm just looking for reassurance that it's definitely worth it? Despite shampooing x2 to get it all out

Johannah
November 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM
This is probably silly of me, but because you have to shampoo hair twice after coconut oil treatment, I feel like it defeats the purpose?
I'm just looking for reassurance that it's definitely worth it? Despite shampooing x2 to get it all out

Try CO! I always needed to wash my hair three times to get it all out. Now I need to CO just once!

Johannah
November 14th, 2013, 11:12 AM
And I use coconut oil on my scalp too!

MaryMarx
November 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I've never dared to try coconut oil on my scalp since once when I used it on my face I started to feel all warm, itchy and weird.
I'm allergic to all kind of things so I should have figured. I'll never use it on my skin again, including scalp.
So be careful if you're allergic to stone fruit and pollen.

sourgrl
November 14th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I don't oil my roots, just the length and ends. When I shampoo I wash roots only, rinse, then condition the length which cleans the oil away. Works great.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
@Johannah

Hmmm....I might give it a try, but I'm not sure it would work for me... Even though my hair's very thick my scalp is oily, making my hair greasy quickly. All that hair and oiliness mean I need a good lather to wash it out! I stretch to washing every 2 days (3 days if I'm not going anywhere) I've tried going longer manyyy times, but the oiliness is very much genetic. I also get buildup very easy.

Applegirl84
November 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
When I do a heavy oiling overnight, the next morning I put a ton of conditioner in my hair and cover with a shower cap for 10-30min. When I rinse the coconut oil is gone. I usually still use a bit of diluted sulphate free shampoo on my scalp, but have never had a problem getting the oil out.

I used to do it like you said - harsh sulphate shampoo 2 or 3 times to get it all out, but conditioner dissolves the oil much better and isnt as harsh on my hair either.

bryana
November 14th, 2013, 11:47 AM
thank you for the tips! i'm going to try the conditioner to dissolve the oil ideas too! awesome!

Morrighan
November 14th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Where did you hear that? Or is that what you've experienced? I've never had to shampoo twice to get coconut oil out. In fact, when I was trying WO (with oil too, because my scalp is dry and can't go without it.), any oil would come out with just water. But everyone's hair is different, and I think the type of water you have might be a factor too. Mine is extremely hard, so it's very drying on my already dry skin and hair.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Where did you hear that? Or is that what you've experienced? I've never had to shampoo twice to get coconut oil out. In fact, when I was trying WO (with oil too, because my scalp is dry and can't go without it.), any oil would come out with just water. But everyone's hair is different, and I think the type of water you have might be a factor too. Mine is extremely hard, so it's very drying on my already dry skin and hair.

I think I read it somewhere online. But yes it's also been my experience! One time I only shampooed once and my hair was a bit lank afterwards. I live in an area with hard water :shrug:
I might try what Applegirl84 said, dissolving with conditioner first, the washing once after as normal!

Jolly-Good-Show
November 14th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Actually Applegirl84 do you rinse over your head with just water before applying the conditioner? Or put it straight over?

Applegirl84
November 14th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I put the conditioner on dry (if it's a thinner conditioner) or slightly damp hair (with a spray bottle) if it's a really thick conditioner.

~honeyflower~
November 14th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Just remember that a little goes a long way! Use 2-3 drops for starters.

AmyBeth
November 14th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Before henna, I used to CO and the oil came out just fine. Since henna, I have to use shampoo, but only non sulfate diluted, once. And it is certainly worth it, or I wouldn't do it:p.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
cool thanks

Thumper
November 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Try CO! I always needed to wash my hair three times to get it all out. Now I need to CO just once!

This actually makes allot of sense - I remember when Stephanie was talking about using oil to remove oil over at the BB, for people to clean their oily skin with oil. It's very effective (not that CO is necessarily oil but you kwim).

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM

mine comes right out with conditioner only. If I am in the mood I will CWC but it is not necessary.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I happily use coconut and castor oil on the roots. I am hoping it will make new growth healthier.
I read castor is great for growth so I have been trying to get that into the roots at least once/twice a week. All the oils seem to come out in a cowash fantastically. If I have time I apply the conditioner 10 minutes before shower. Seems to really work it out that way.
I just tried mixing honey with my co wash VO5 conditioner after oiling with my best results to date. Leaves hair with more body for me than a simple oil/cowash. Hope it lasts and isn't a fluke.

CaityBear
November 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
If it's a hair mask before I wash my hair then I definitely put it on my scalp and give myself s good massage even though my hair is generally only the oilier side. And I CO it out. Only takes one go and leaves my hair absolutely amazing. I do think it seems pointless to do if somebody is just going to shampoo repeatedly to get it out.

cranberrymoonz
November 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Oiling the roots shouldn't be a problem for any kind of scalp, except for the ones who suffer from seborroic dermatitis or dandruff. The yeast that causes these feeds from certain fatty acids that can be found in sebum as well as natural oils (most in jojoba). So for these people it would be best not to stretch washes and not to oil the scalp. If you suffer from flaking scalp, find out what causes it because treatments differ a great deal (aka are opposite:P). For non-dandruff dry flaking scalp a few drops of jojoba (or coconut if you like) are great.

For me (normal scalp) it doesn't really matter much if I oil my roots. I find it unnecessary fuss, so I don't. Practising benign neglect:)