PDA

View Full Version : sleep cap issues

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 02:10 AM
I just got a sleep cap last week to protect hair at night. I have noticed it is making my head sweat at night which makes my hair have all these crazy dents in it. I cannot style my hair into anything that passes for public viewing when thus happens. Even misting doesn't remove these dents and crinkles...need a full wash to correct it. Hope this makes sense.
Does anyone have an issue with their head sweat with these caps or is it just me? IF you do have this issue is there any suggestions on how to wear it or what to do to minimize this head sweating from happening? I am on a medication and that may have something to do with this night sweat but even so, its worse with the cap. I have just ordered satin pillowcases but I really want the cap to be an option as I have a cat who ends up on my hair in the middle of the night and I have actually caught her "chewing" on my hair before! gah! I swear she once took a little chunk of hair out. :rolleyes:

Bagginslover
November 14th, 2013, 04:35 AM
How are you putting your hair inside it? I get dents if I bun (though I don't sweat, its just the heat), but if I just coil the hair instead, I get a nice curve to my ends, and it looks like I spent ages styling it ;)
Usually I just bun in the day though, so dents don't show.

Nini
November 14th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Ditch the sleep cap and lock the cat out of the bedroom:)

duchess67
November 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
After reading about sleep caps in this forum, went and bought one yesterday. Last night slept with it on after braiding my hair, didn't sweat at all, it was quite comfortable! And my hair looked so much better this morning when I took out the braids.

Valkyriejae
November 14th, 2013, 06:11 AM
What material is your cap made of? (I'm assuming satin weave, but is it polyester satin?) Silk is more expensive, but it also wicks moisture better, so sweating should be less of an issue. Ditto for cotton-sateen (though that isn't quite as soft on your hair as satin...)

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I find it quite comfortable but have to figure something out. Cant lock the cat out because i work 12hr shifts so i would never have kitty time if she didnt get to sleep me. She one of those super attached anxious creatures and needs to be pressed up on me at all times. lol
I have tried a few ways..bun, coiled in hand, cap added then let it fall loose into the cap, tiny claw clip, and simply hanging upsidedown then putting cap on. My hair is now only SL so its hard to get waves in my style. Braids would be nice but too may short layers. Maybe crown braids would help?

Bagginslover, how do you coil your hair? Do you clip it or pin it to hold it? And is it high or low? My dents are mostly in the temples and roots. THe temple hair is very fine with broken pieces from the keratin. Maybe just gaining length and turning up the ac will help.
I will alternate with cap and pillowcase but cap is necessity if cat is sleeping near pillow instead on on my feet or side.

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM
What material is your cap made of? (I'm assuming satin weave, but is it polyester satin?) Silk is more expensive, but it also wicks moisture better, so sweating should be less of an issue. Ditto for cotton-sateen (though that isn't quite as soft on your hair as satin...)

that is a very good question. I will check. I bought it on amazon, it said satin sleep cap but i didn't think about blends. It is very light and was only $5 so may be poor quality.
Whats an average cost for a nice one?

I feel like a pioneer when I wear it. Luckily bf is amused by it so at least I don't feel awkward when I wear it. Ever since I bought it I do feel a difference in frizz and health. Its amazing how cotton really messes up the hair. I never would have thought about before joining here.

Regarding oils, do you wear the cap when oiling? I don't want to ruin it but I do like to oil hair a few times a week. Drier oils don't get into the cap but coconut oil would for sure.

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Never tried one without hair braided first. Of course that may not be useful to everyone as some might not like braid waves (or braid straightening, which is what happens to me)

ladyfey
November 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Non-silk sleepcaps have never worked for me, they have even caused breakage around the hairline. I eventually got a silk one from blensblends (bad vegan of me) and I love it. Super comfortable and much less tangling at night, I put my hair in it loose.

AmyBeth
November 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
As much as I like my hair, my cats will always come first!:inlove:. If you ditch the sleep cap and sleep on a satin pillowcase and then either braid or bun your hair, then the cat may not be able to get at it?

DweamGoiL
November 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I used to have the same issue with an expensive hand-made, but closed satin cap, so years ago, I started using this one from Sally's:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/sleep-cap/SBS-261629,es,pd.html?cm_vc=CROSSSELL

Crumpet
November 14th, 2013, 08:18 PM
How are you putting your hair inside it? I get dents if I bun (though I don't sweat, its just the heat), but if I just coil the hair instead, I get a nice curve to my ends, and it looks like I spent ages styling it ;)
Usually I just bun in the day though, so dents don't show.

This is exactly my experience too. I got the sleep cap to protect my hair, but now I am super in love with it because it makes my hair look amazing the next day and I can wear my hair 'down' in it, which I love.

Maybe try a different sleep cap? Mine has never made me sweat or leave dents!

swearnsue
November 14th, 2013, 08:27 PM
My cat makes my head hot so I leave a small fan on all night. Not directed right at me, off a bit, but it's enough to circulate the air and makes sleeping much more comfortable. Been doing this for years.

I recommend a sleep cap and a silk pillowcase (and the cat too of course) and a small quiet fan.

PraiseCheeses
November 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I just got a sleep cap last week to protect hair at night. I have noticed it is making my head sweat at night which makes my hair have all these crazy dents in it. I cannot style my hair into anything that passes for public viewing when thus happens. Even misting doesn't remove these dents and crinkles...need a full wash to correct it. Hope this makes sense.
Does anyone have an issue with their head sweat with these caps or is it just me? IF you do have this issue is there any suggestions on how to wear it or what to do to minimize this head sweating from happening? I am on a medication and that may have something to do with this night sweat but even so, its worse with the cap. I have just ordered satin pillowcases but I really want the cap to be an option as I have a cat who ends up on my hair in the middle of the night and I have actually caught her "chewing" on my hair before! gah! I swear she once took a little chunk of hair out. :rolleyes:

:agree: I'm making a sleep cap for the same reason! My cat tromps around my head as close as she can get to my scalp and always gets her paws caught in my hair at the nape of my neck, especially if it's in a bun.

This. Satin is a weave, not a fiber. Polyester satin won't breathe the same way silk satin will. The difference, in my experience, has been well worth the price difference.

As much as I like my hair, my cats will always come first!:inlove:. If you ditch the sleep cap and sleep on a satin pillowcase and then either braid or bun your hair, then the cat may not be able to get at it?

This too. :) I love my purring beret, especially in the winter. Besides, she makes a good heat pack for an overnight coconut oil treatment. :D

Bagginslover
November 15th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Bagginslover, how do you coil your hair? Do you clip it or pin it to hold it? And is it high or low? My dents are mostly in the temples and roots. THe temple hair is very fine with broken pieces from the keratin. Maybe just gaining length and turning up the ac will help.
I will alternate with cap and pillowcase but cap is necessity if cat is sleeping near pillow instead on on my feet or side.

I put the cap on over the top of my head, with my hair hanging loose down my back, then I grab the hair as if to mahe a ponytail, but instead wrap the hair under and around my hand, tucking each coil inside the previous ones. I thenflip the coil sideways and upwards, so its on the back of my head, and holding it in place with one had, pull the cap over it with the other. As soon as I let go, it falls back down into the excess at the back of the cap on my neck, and stays there all night. I sleep on my back, so it gets nice and warm, and sets the hair nicely.

I try to have the elastic of my cap further down on my forehead rather than obn my hairline to protect the baby hairs here, maybe try that?

AmyBeth
November 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
:agree: I'm making a sleep cap for the same reason! My cat tromps around my head as close as she can get to my scalp and always gets her paws caught in my hair at the nape of my neck, especially if it's in a bun.

This. Satin is a weave, not a fiber. Polyester satin won't breathe the same way silk satin will. The difference, in my experience, has been well worth the price difference.

This too. :) I love my purring beret, especially in the winter. Besides, she makes a good heat pack for an overnight coconut oil treatment. :D

They are such handy little creatures, aren't they. I use mine as one of those vibrating massagers. They will curl up on the body part that aches and start purring. If I lie on my stomach, they will come and start kneading the knots out of my back (as long as they have had a recent nail trim!). They make lovely little decorative pillows scattered around couches and chairs.:)