PDA

View Full Version : co wash with honey

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I could not figure out what forum this belonged in so mods please move if it is wrong.
I have been pre pooing with coconut oil most times and co wash to remove it. I like the effect but I find hair gets a little limp. I wanted more body and cleansing last night but did not have a lot of time to do a proper cowash so I added honey to my conditioner. It was so moisturizing but also extremely cleansing. There was no oil residue and my roots and hair had a lot of body. I was very surprised but how effective adding the honey was for washing. I swear I had gotten the idea somewhere on this board that honey was cleansing so I really want to thank LHC for planting that idea in my head.
After the wash I put some sesame oil on my ends and hair was soft, shiny and manageable. Nice feeling. I have been having to use ceramides this last week to get that effect! It was nice to to not have to use my ceramide shampoo as it is loaded with cones and sulfates.

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 02:03 AM
I forgot to add I used V05 Moisturizing conditioner mixed with their coconut one, then after the wash followed up with a tiny bit of knock off Biolage Hydrating conditioner. The 2nd conditioner wasnt needed so not sure why I bothered. Im goinf to try this again without. No cones were used in this wash but hair had that coney slip to it.
Has anyone had issues with honey long term? I may do this type of wash one a week.

Firefox7275
November 14th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Komaza Care have ceramides without silicones or sulphates in some of their Matani and Moja products. L'Oreal Full Restore 5 conditioner has ceramides with only a water soluble silicone so should not build up.

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I will check my conditioner. I have the Loreal 5 with ceramides in the black bottle. Thanks for the Komaza tip.

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2013, 07:14 AM
HOney is really great, however be aware that its a humectant, so your results won't be as nice on very dry days. then it make moisture actually LEAVE your hair, unfortunately.
But when the dewpoint is right, there is nothing better.

Treble Bolt
November 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
what if you use vinegar after honey. Haven't used honey myself (it's sticky enough on my toast!), but won't vinegar get rid of the stickiness that it could leave behind? Plus I DO know that you have to be careful WHERE the honey comes from. There is getting to be more and more of a problem where foreign exporters of honey are using corn syrup and High Fructose corn Syrup in the honey to make it go farther and thus make more revenue. Buy your honey local, that's the only sure fire way to know you are getting real honey.
I vehemently recommend NOT to use corn syrup or HFCS on your hair (or any part of your body for that matter). Just because its natural doesn't mean its good for you (cyanide is natural). My husband and I once found a metal barrel at our local scrap yard that had its lid on, we opened it up (because we are ever so curious people) and there was a black, pasty-like goo lining the barrel. It RANK with a stink that is completely unique (i can't describe it). We found out it was a barrel that contained High Fructose Corn Syrup. I never much though about that stuff until that day (it's just a sugar that's pretty much unavoidable in American foods/beverages) but since then, I do what I can to stay away from it, because I don't want to consume what was in the barrel.....Completely off subject, but yeah, use real honey.....

kitschy
November 14th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I put a drop of honey and oil as a leave in/sealer. I haven't yet added it to my CO wash, but I think I will try it out.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:07 PM
HOney is really great, however be aware that its a humectant, so your results won't be as nice on very dry days. then it make moisture actually LEAVE your hair, unfortunately.
But when the dewpoint is right, there is nothing better.
You mean when it is dry outside it can pull moisture? hmmmm I live in Florida so it's not a huge issue but it is winter so is less humid. That is something to think about. Maybe its working great now just due to current weather? I wonder if it will frizz in summer also if I do this. I Hope not because I have seen huge results in the damaged parts just doing this routine twice now. It seems the bend ends have straightened back out mostly.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
what if you use vinegar after honey. Haven't used honey myself (it's sticky enough on my toast!), but won't vinegar get rid of the stickiness that it could leave behind? Plus I DO know that you have to be careful WHERE the honey comes from. There is getting to be more and more of a problem where foreign exporters of honey are using corn syrup and High Fructose corn Syrup in the honey to make it go farther and thus make more revenue. Buy your honey local, that's the only sure fire way to know you are getting real honey.
I vehemently recommend NOT to use corn syrup or HFCS on your hair (or any part of your body for that matter). Just because its natural doesn't mean its good for you (cyanide is natural). My husband and I once found a metal barrel at our local scrap yard that had its lid on, we opened it up (because we are ever so curious people) and there was a black, pasty-like goo lining the barrel. It RANK with a stink that is completely unique (i can't describe it). We found out it was a barrel that contained High Fructose Corn Syrup. I never much though about that stuff until that day (it's just a sugar that's pretty much unavoidable in American foods/beverages) but since then, I do what I can to stay away from it, because I don't want to consume what was in the barrel.....Completely off subject, but yeah, use real honey.....

Hmmm, I have raw organic honey and a bottle of cheap honey that says 100% pure honey. I have been saving the organic for face and using the cheaper one for hair since it is a giant bottle and I hate wasting. Maybe I should usa the organic instead on my hair anyway. I hope and pray my cheap honey isn't fake but the chances are really high I suppose since I just read a study where they investigated store bought honey and most of it was fake. I wish the label would be accurate. I think it is wrong to sell honey that is corn syrup. I mean at least be honest about it and call it "artificial honey" like they do with artificial vanilla.
This really bothers me. I will try the organic raw one tomorrow and see if I notice any difference. Another reason I didn't use the raw honey aside from cost was it is so creamy that i will have to melt it down. It is almost a vaseline consistancy.

Question, is it bad to leave the honey in the shower? Should I be moving it to a cool dark place for storage? The raw seems to be tightly sealed up but maybe its getting bacteria being stored in my shower? Perhaps I should only take a bit at a time into shower instead of whole jar?
Off to google.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM
oh, and I use vinegar usually ever other wash or at least weekly. Depends when I remember. So one I used it for one honey wash and the other one I haven't. Result seemed the same but I use white vinegar just in case because I suspect my water is semi hard. As far as stickyness there has been zero, but that may chance when I switch to raw.

ErinLeigh
November 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I put a drop of honey and oil as a leave in/sealer. I haven't yet added it to my CO wash, but I think I will try it out.

I don't know why but it completely changed my co wash. I am on day 2 post washand not a bit of greasy roots which is rare for me, yet hair is far from dry. Its soft and and feels exactly the same from root to tip. I have never been able to have nice day 2 hair before. Roots greasy/ends dry typically. This is a nice surprise!

I am a little sad about realizing the cheaper honey may not be great option, but it is working. I know in the honey lightening thread a lot use cheap honey, but I would hate to be putting corn syrup on my head. I will post results with raw for sure and advise if there is a difference.

Do you use regular or organic/raw for your oil/honey seal?
I've been pre pooing with coconut but tend to use dryer oils (sesame, grapeseed)for the seal, and occassionaly a drop of olive to mix it up.
May I ask what oil you are using as well? Your hair is very pretty.

askan
November 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm using honey sometimes when I co wash, but I only ever mixed it with the conditioner I use for the ends, not the one I use for washing my scalp. Might try it out next time!

CaityBear
November 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I've been meaning to try adding honey when I clean my hair but I keep forgetting. I should definitely try it soon.