PDA

View Full Version : what is the purpose of a pre shampoo oil treatment?

susieq998
November 13th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I saw it on this oil product I just got, also has anyone used the biolage exquisite oil before? is it any good?

maborosi
November 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Pre-shampoo oiling can help prevent the hair getting stripped of its natural oils when you shampoo. It's sort of like when people condition then wash their hair with shampoo, then condition again. The pre-shampoo treatment just helps keep some of the oil in the hair.

I have not tried that particular product, but I do like Biolage products in general. They're pretty good as far as salon brands go. :)

~maborosi~

Firefox7275
November 14th, 2013, 02:34 AM
I saw it on this oil product I just got, also has anyone used the biolage exquisite oil before? is it any good?

Depends on your hair properties (especially porosity) and which oil you opt for. The lauric acid in coconut oil is proven to penetrate, reducing porosity, increasing elasticity and reducing structural protein loss when washing. Olive oil can also penetrate, as likely can any other oil rich in lauric or oleic acids (fairly small straight chain molecules). Polyunsaturated oils or largee fatty acids will likely not penetrate.
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc1999/cc050n06/p00327-p00339.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

The Biolage oil is wall to wall silicones - cyclopentasiloxane, dimethiconol - the natural oils are way down the ingredients list below fragrance, I wouldn't waste it as a pre-shampoo.
http://www.beautybay.com/haircare/matrix/biolageexquisiteoil/

Jesabel
November 14th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Regarding the oil, most hair oils/serums sold by hair brands/companies are silicone laden with not all that much oil. As Firefox said, I wouldn't waste it as a pre-shampoo treatment, but rather as a leave in if your hair likes cones. For a pre-shampoo oiling, I'd use straight oil. I used to use EVOO, coconut and avocado, either by themselves or I'd mix them up :)

KittyMeowMeow
November 14th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I use EVCO as a preshampoo treatment for deep moisture. I lightly spray with water (for moisture), then apply EVCO, then a store bag as a plastic cap with a towel on top (for a greenhouse effect and heat to help it penetrate).

Oil rinsing is a popular technique that involves applying an oil (either leaving it in for a while or not), and then rinsing for a while under running water.

Oils can also be used to cleanse, as oil lifts oil and wax, and then is washed away. EVOO is great for both cleansing and moisture.

Regarding the oil, most hair oils/serums sold by hair brands/companies are silicone laden with not all that much oil. As Firefox said, I wouldn't waste it as a pre-shampoo treatment, but rather as a leave in if your hair likes cones. For a pre-shampoo oiling, I'd use straight oil. I used to use EVOO, coconut and avocado, either by themselves or I'd mix them up :)

^ This. The oils are pretty far down on the ingredients list- the first are water and cones.

Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Parfum/Fragrance, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Oil/Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol

Snena
November 14th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but it really helped my hair. I oil my hair with castor oil and put a plastic bag and a warm hat on my head and keep it for two hours before washing my hair. I've started doing it because my hair was really damaged from bleaching and my hair is almost back to normal now.