PDA

View Full Version : Rose Hip Oil vs Rose Water?

CurlyCap
November 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

I want to branch out into some new oils and products, and I can't figure out rose hip oil vs rose water.

What are their typical uses?
Are they interchangeable?
Pros and cons?
Preferences of members?

Any guidance appreciated!

In2wishin
November 13th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I want to branch out into some new oils and products, and I can't figure out rose hip oil vs rose water.

What are their typical uses?
Are they interchangeable?
Pros and cons?
Preferences of members?

Any guidance appreciated!

I can't answer all of you questions but one I can answer is that, no, they are not interchangeable. Rosewater is a hydrosol and is the by-product of the extraction-by-distillation of rose essential oil from the flower petals. It retains some of the scent components of the petals and is used mainly for flavoring and sometimes for a mild scent. Rose hip oil (more accurately, rose hip seed oil) is an oil extracted from the seeds of the wild rose. It is high in beta carotene, omega 6, and omega 3 and so is good on damaged skin. Typically, it will have a very mild, slightly nutty scent.

I like using rose hip seed oil around my eyes. I do substitute rosewater for distilled water in my cold cream.

Sillage
November 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM
In2wishin is right--- they are totally totally different! Rose hip seed oil is pretty heavy but my skin and hair don't really like it that much. It's not bad but I definitely prefer watermelon seed oil, rice bran oil, and unrefined avocado oil (all of which you can get a Garden of Wisdom ;D). Rose water is great as a refreshing toner or a spray for the hair. I have a mister bottle of rosewater that I like to spritz on after I've been cooking or whenever I need a scented pick me up. I don't find that it really does anything for my hair other than make it smell good tho.