PDA

View Full Version : Best Moisturizing Shampoo/Tips for Dry Scalp

Tehillim408
November 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I was just told by a hairstylist that I have a dry scalp. And all this time I thought it was dandruff! What shampoo do you recommend for this problem? I suppose an oil treatment would help too!

lapushka
November 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I was just told by a hairstylist that I have a dry scalp. And all this time I thought it was dandruff! What shampoo do you recommend for this problem? I suppose an oil treatment would help too!

Shampoos aren't meant to be moisturizing, even though some of them might be marketed as such. I'd try using a plain old, regular shampoo, and then apply your conditioner to the scalp as well as the lengths - or you could use a 2 in 1. Or try CO washing!

HintOfMint
November 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I've done well with coconut oil massaged into my scalp before I shampoo. It definitely helps with the dry flakes.

Firefox7275
November 14th, 2013, 02:22 AM

What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp complaint? A hairdresser is NOT qualified to tell you that you have xerosis. Dandruff is not a proper medical term either, it's a colloquialism used to denote any one of a number of flaky scalp conditions. Most dandruff shampoos treat seborrhoeic dermatitis since it is the most common issue.

Shampoo is not moisturising (add or increase water), they are cleansing products, anything with anionic surfactants or neutral to alkaline pH is likely to strip and damage the skin barrier (keeps water in, keeps irritant chemicals and microbes out).

Oils are not classed as moisturising either since they are anhydrous (water free): many natural oils contain fatty acids that can worsen SD (stearic, palmitic, oleic), or that disrupt the skin's barrier function or act as penetration enhancers (oleic acid). However if you truly do have xerosis you may benefit from a balance of the lipids found in healthy skin: cholesterol, ceramides, stearic and palmitic acids.

Consider reviewing your diet making it as anti inflammatory, nutrient dense and hydrating as possible.