PDA

View Full Version : 3 year anniversary - Lots of pictures!

alyanna
November 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Hello all you beautiful LHCers!
I've been meaning to post this update for a couple of months now and finally, I managed to upload some pictures. I started lurking on LHC in September 2010, at which point my hair was in a short, layered bob with lots of highlights.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7472&d=1384346989

My hair was in good condition but did seem very thin to me. I really had no idea what my ponytail circumference was or what my natural texture had become after having children and years of hairloss issues and highlighting. A few months later though, it had gotten longer and seemed fuller. And I was happy to find that I was a ii.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7457&d=1384343815

By summer 2011, I thought I need to cut off the worst of the highlights and try to even out my hemline. I had started off with a shag and had tons of layers. Here is what my hair looked like straightened:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7470&d=1384346787

I was happy doing a few trims in order to get a thicker hemline. By January 2012, my hair was in its best condition ever. It was shiny, I had plump curls and my circumference was about 2.7" if not a bit more. On good days, I seemed to be very close to a coveted 3" mark:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7471&d=1384346833

Here is my hair a few months later, in May of 2012, when I FINALLY reached APL. It is oiled and with braid waves:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7465&d=1384346081

My ends were looking see-through at APL, but I was confident that the thickness would travel down, which it did. This is what my hair looked like by August 2012:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7463&d=1384345030

The summer of 2012 we moved to a new country on a new continent. My hair was doing great and growing really fast. It was shiny and full. I had not trimmed since the summer of 2011. So in December 2012 I thought it was time for one, it had been a year and a half of no trims! This is my blunt hemline in January 2013:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7461&d=1384344531

At this point, things started going downhill. Already, you can see from the above picture that although my hemline is blunt and the highlights are almost gone, my hair is somehow duller and drier. I also started shedding A LOT. I would say the shedding started becoming noticeable in February 2013. In April, I went to the doctor and found out that my iron levels and my vitamin D levels were very low. I started taking supplements. My hair was still growing quite fast, but it was shedding a ton. It was get drier, tanglier and frizzier every day. My ponytail was down to just over 2". This is my hair in June of 2013:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7458&d=1384344126

In August 2013, I decided to henna. I thought my thin strands could use plumping. I took a bunch of pictures but then lost them. This is my latest shot taken a few days ago, November 2013:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7460&d=1384344143

I'm just about BSL. In this shot, my hair is hennaed and I had used a silicone shampoo and oiled. So my hair does look shinier and less full. I've come to realize that during my year of heavy shedding, I had been using a protein shampoo regularly that is sulfate and silicone free and a cone free conditioner too. I think that all the shedding may have been breakage due to protein overload. I am remedying that now. I can also add that the supplements seem to be working as my ponytail circumference is back up to about 2.7+ inches.

Overall, I am really happy with my progress. I've made length gains and thanks to LHC, I have the knowledge needed to face the hair problems that I do encounter. Thank you all so much!

Magalo
November 13th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Lot of pictures? It's not working for me! :p

alyanna
November 13th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Grrrrrrr!
I've posted 9 pictures!!!
How come I can see them? I've changed my Album privacy settings. Can you guys seem them now?

CurlyMopTop
November 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
You've made wonderful progress! Keep up the great growing. :D

Squiggy
November 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Great growth! You hair looks lovely, and I'm glad you are seeing improvements in its condition/ figured out your deficiencies.

Coolcombination
November 13th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Yes I can see all 9, you live and you learn don't we

pixiestar
November 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Great progress, beautiful hair :blossom:

BowTie
November 13th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Wow, a wonderful progress. Your hair is beautiful :) Keep on growing! :D

alyanna
November 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Thank you all for the replies and the compliments!

My hair's behavior over the past year is actually still a mystery. So much has happened since the summer of 2012, that the breakage, shedding, dullness and general brittle condition can be due to any number of things. I am trying to deal with each as best I can:

1) I moved to a new continent -- I have adjusted well though and this year is a lot less stressful in that regard.
2) I was preparing for my comprehensive exams for a PhD -- I completed those in August 2013 and I am now working on my thesis at a nice, more relaxing pace.
3) I started taking the pill in December 2012, three weeks later I noticed my hair's texture worsened, but I did not want to deal with the possibility that it could be the pill -- I quit the pill in August 2013, so any pill-related shedding will hopefully subside by the end of the year.
4) Prior to the Pill I had been on the IUD since 2009. I had VERY heavy bleeding which I ignored -- We are now using only barrier methods.
5) I attempted vegetarianism for the second time around November 2012. I started noticing that the shedding was abnormal in February -- I am now back on my previous diet since April or May of 2013. That is also when I was tested and started supplementing for iron and vitamin D deficiencies.
6) In 2012, I was using EXCLUSIVELY Biotene H24 shampoo, which is protein-rich, silicone- and sulfate-free + Tresemme Naturals conditioner, also silicone-free. I actually like the fullness I get from this combination, but I think it may have lead to breakage, as well as a lot of mechanical damage from excessive tangling and detangling.

I am still trying to figure out the best balance for this last point. My high is low-porosity, fine and thin (well the low end of average to be accurate). I just reintroduced silicones -- Dove 2 in 1 and I am liking the shine, softness and ease of detangling. I still don't know how to use cones without leading to damage though. Perhaps clarify a couple of times a month? My hair seems to like rotating products. It also tends to rebel against prolonged use of any one routine.

Suggestions and comments are welcome. Sorry for being so long-winded.

Crumpet
November 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM
My worst-ever hair occurred when I moved to a new country/continent. The weather, water, and hair products were different from my norm. I had never lived with hard water before and didn't realize the impact it was having on my hair. It sounds like things are improving for you and your hair looks gorgeous (even in the drier pictures!).

earthybee
November 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Very nice growth and hair! Congratulations on your milestones very pretty. :)

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Your hair has progressed and looks great. Happy anniversary.

alyanna
November 14th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Thank you all for your kind compliments. I actually never expected to make it to BSL. I've had so many problems with hair loss and patchy scalp over the years. But I guess that doesn't preclude growing long. Growing thick on the other hand, is another issue!

alyanna
November 14th, 2013, 06:11 AM
My worst-ever hair occurred when I moved to a new country/continent. The weather, water, and hair products were different from my norm. I had never lived with hard water before and didn't realize the impact it was having on my hair. It sounds like things are improving for you and your hair looks gorgeous (even in the drier pictures!).

Sounds like my case, actually! You know all the points listed above may have had nothing to do with the shedding and it could've all just been stress. Who knows? I do find that my hair reacts aggressively to changes in diet, sleep, etc. I need to eat well ie. not just a clean diet but an adequate number of calories and I need to sleep enough and relaaaaax. That's the best prescription for good hair ;)

duchess67
November 14th, 2013, 06:38 AM
You hair looks lovely, nice curls. Happy Growing!

lapushka
November 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Overall, I am really happy with my progress. I've made length gains and thanks to LHC, I have the knowledge needed to face the hair problems that I do encounter. Thank you all so much!

That is *so* nice to hear! :) I'm glad you're happy with your progress. It looks amazing!

alyanna
November 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
That is *so* nice to hear! :) I'm glad you're happy with your progress. It looks amazing!

Awww thanks lapushka! It means a lot coming from you. I know I've benefitted a lot from your advice and it sounds like your hair is pretty amazing :)

RubyTuesday
November 14th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I LOVE posts with pictures! Just spent a happy five minutes examining yours :)

Your hair looks ace. Good job!

hanne jensen
November 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Happy anniversary! You have very pretty hair. Congrats on your growth.

alyanna
November 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I LOVE posts with pictures! Just spent a happy five minutes examining yours :)

Your hair looks ace. Good job!

I love posts with pictures too! I spent quite a long time organizing, resizing and uploading my photos so I'm glad they're appreciated :)