PDA

View Full Version : Are dry shampoo sprays bad for your hair?

Thumper
November 13th, 2013, 05:00 AM
A picked up a couple of the Tresemme sprays. I really like these products. They add volume to my hair and I'm wondering if trading off a shampoo for a spray is better? The thing that concerns me is that I can small the alcohol in them and am wondering if this is going to be damaging over time.

Thanks!!

Arctic
November 13th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I *think* the alcohol in them is meant for the product to dry into a powdery form quickly, and the alcohol will evaporate in seconds. I wouldn't think they damage your hair more than any other thing (everything damages our hair to some extent, that's inevitable). If your scalp can handle them, I don't see any problems. (My own scalp gets irritated from them.) If you do see any problems later on, you can always cut back, or try some of the homemade dry shampoo recipes.

UP Lisa
November 13th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I would worry more about clogging up my hair follicles.

Coolcombination
November 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM
My hair gets slightly drier after I use them, but I use them before every wash to stretch an extra day and have experienced no ill effects. I use batiste

coconutterly88
November 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I'm a long time user of dry various shampoos and haven't experienced any damaging effects thus far - can find some a bit gunky, usually those intended for brunette hair, washes out easily enough, only other issue I've had is something of a skunk stripe if I'm in a rush and don't blend properly, that's about it though!

Thumper
November 13th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Do they do that???

Thumper
November 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I'm a long time user of dry various shampoos and haven't experienced any damaging effects thus far - can find some a bit gunky, usually those intended for brunette hair, washes out easily enough, only other issue I've had is something of a skunk stripe if I'm in a rush and don't blend properly, that's about it though!

I have lightened ash hair, so when my roots grow in i'm finding the spray helps to hide them : )

Bagginslover
November 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Do they do that???

I get a very zitty scalp, and I've never found them to make it worse, if anything its better as I always get the zits the day after I wash, and dry shampoo=less washing ;) .

sarahthegemini
November 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I really don't believe that dry shampoo will block follicles ... If you were applying it regularly and not doing anything to clean your hair, then sure but not under 'normal' circumstances.

ExpectoPatronum
November 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I used to use dry shampoo when trying to stretch washes. It never harmed my hair. I just didn't like the whitish cast if left on my dark hair. :( I did use Tresemme though and I thought it was nice. There was another one I used...I think it was Dove? I don't remember if it was Dove or Tresemme where the bottle would get clogged before I was done using it so that's something to be mindful of.

bradlea
November 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I use dry shampoos a lot, if I didn't I would need to wash every single day because my roots get so greasy. But if I use a dry shampoo, then just using it once lasts me for a few days of non-greasy hair. The only problem I've had with it is that some brands make my hair really tangly which in turn would cause breakage. Batiste actually makes my hair softer and less tangle-prone though. I'm not a fan of their scents, but it's fine. Also the Batiste cans seem to last longer than other ones, even if the other ones are bigger. I definitely recommend it.

I've been thinking of getting the ingredients to mix up some of Nanny Pauline's airing powder, it seems really nice and like it probably smells good.

UP Lisa
November 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Seriously? It's only good for one day for me.

I use dry shampoos a lot, if I didn't I would need to wash every single day because my roots get so greasy. But if I use a dry shampoo, then just using it once lasts me for a few days of non-greasy hair. The only problem I've had with it is that some brands make my hair really tangly which in turn would cause breakage. Batiste actually makes my hair softer and less tangle-prone though. I'm not a fan of their scents, but it's fine. Also the Batiste cans seem to last longer than other ones, even if the other ones are bigger. I definitely recommend it.

I've been thinking of getting the ingredients to mix up some of Nanny Pauline's airing powder, it seems really nice and like it probably smells good.

bradlea
November 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Seriously? It's only good for one day for me.

Yeah I'm not sure why it works haha. I have a really dry scalp so my theory is that it's washing my hair that makes it greasy, if that makes sense. Even COwashing. So my scalp has the instant reaction after being washed of producing a ton of oil, and then doesn't produce as much for the next few days.

ravenreed
November 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have used dry shampoos with great success. I haven't had any problems with them except I never use them two days in a row as I do get some gunky feeling on my scalp if I do.

Mainesongbird
November 13th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I use pssst and only wash my hair once a week. It never damaged my hair, it sometimes made it less tangly on a week where that is an issue. I don't think it would clog anything up more than any other product that you put on your head or the chemicals and products in the air.

Foxylocks
November 13th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Whether or not they would create damage at the roots depends on the ingredients, to me. It sounds like dry shampoos would irritate my sensitive scalp. If a regular shampoo irritates my scalp and it is washed out immediately, then I can only imagine what a chemical-y spray being left on my scalp for twenty four hours would do. For this reason I use a shampoo bar and apply conditioner only to the lengths.
You guys sure have tough scalps!

SouthernSweetie
November 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Idk about the damage part, but Beyond the Zone from Sally's has a Dry Shampoo with lighteners for blonde hair, and one for brunette hair that helps hide roots! I just dyed my hair dark all over, but before that I had blonde and it worked great! It made my blonde look brighter! :)

ravenreed
November 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Actually, my scalp is incredibly finicky and prone to breaking out. I have terribly sensitive skin. I have used Batiste, Pssst, and silk powder all without a problem. I brush as much out as possible when I apply it, and usually wash it out the next day.

Whether or not they would create damage at the roots depends on the ingredients, to me. It sounds like dry shampoos would irritate my sensitive scalp. If a regular shampoo irritates my scalp and it is washed out immediately, then I can only imagine what a chemical-y spray being left on my scalp for twenty four hours would do. For this reason I use a shampoo bar and apply conditioner only to the lengths.
You guys sure have tough scalps!

Lyv
November 13th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I've never had a problem with batiste dry shampoo I don't know what I'd do without it, I'd either have really greasy hair all the time or have to start washing it almost everyday. Some brands like big sexy hair, dove and tresemme make my scalp feel awful though.