PDA

View Full Version : Sticky heavy roots\scalp? Just started co-washing help:)

lole18
November 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I used to shampoo my hair with an SLS free shampoo 2 timesa week i recently switched to shampooing once and co-washing 1-2 times a week i tried 2 silicone free conditioners but my hair is still REALLY sticky and heavy (scalp and first 2-4 inches of my hair) i have fine very THIN DRYYY wavy\curly damaged hair and normal scalp it isn't that oily.. I don't want to get back to shampooing twice a week i feel like my hair is starting to get more moisturized :( what can i do to help with this problem? It's really disgusting how sticky and heavy it feels! Would co-washing more help with it? Or should i co-wash less? Or maybe just use the onditioner on the entire length without touching the scalp maybe that's what's making it sticky and heavy? Or should i use ACV for a couple of hours before co-washing? I don't know what to do! Help me :)

lole18
November 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM
please help i feel dirty lol :(

ExpectoPatronum
November 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM
What conditioner are you using? Does it contain protein? Protein in conditioners makes my hair feel icky. You also might have to COwash more often. If I'm shampooing, I can wash every other day. If I'm COwashing, I have to do it every day or else my scalp and roots get too icky for my conditioner to properly clean.

DweamGoiL
November 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I tried CG for about a month and I had the same problem. You could try shampooing with an SLS free shampoo once a week and CO washing the other time. You need to make sure your conditioner is really light. I have fine hair also and I usually don't apply conditioner to my scalp, but once I detangle my length, I make sure to detangle from the roots so what is on the comb gets to the crown. This way my hair doesn't get weighed down, but it gets the moisture it needs.

McFearless
November 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Try applying the conditioner to your roots 15 minutes prior to your shower. Then hop in, pour a little water over your head for lather and massage the conditioner into your scalp, applying more to the length. Finish up your shower and then rinse. If your hair still feels sticky and heavy I'd look for another product.

lole18
November 13th, 2013, 02:18 AM
I still didn't get what to do some people are telling me to co-wash more and some are telling me to co-wash less! Which should I do? I used tresemme naturals silicone free conditioner and suave apple silicone free conditioner both gave me the same result and no neither of them has proteins :)

donnalouise
November 13th, 2013, 02:35 AM
I tried co-washing and had disastrous results. I much prefer stretching my washes as long as possible and using a low/no sulphate shampoo in very tiny quantities. Instead of solely co-washing, if it doesn't work for you, you could try using less and less shampoo each time, perhaps dilute your shampoo with water. Eventually you may find yourself transitioning into co-washing. For me, it just didn't work well and i need the shampoo to make my hair look and feel it's best, but i only wash once every 5 days at the moment and only with a tiny blob of shampoo, but i doubt i'll ever put conditioner on my scalp again - for me it's conditioner strictly on the lengths of my hair only.

Zebra Fish
November 13th, 2013, 02:52 AM
I never had problems with greasy scalp/hair untill I tried CO-wash. I gave it a go for 2 moths, and then just got back to shampoo once a week and my scalp is more "dirty" (from dust and other stuff thet gets cought in hair) than actaly greasy (with CO I had to wash every 3-4 days coz I was sooooo greasy). I'm using sulphate free shampoo and diluiting it before apply, while coating my lenghts in conditioner (ears down more or less) - adn my scalp and hair are happy :)

I'd say give it a try, as far as I've read you need some time to adjust to it, but even if it makes wonders for others be prepared to accept that maybe your scalp doenst like conditioner.

sarahthegemini
November 13th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I used to shampoo my hair with an SLS free shampoo 2 timesa week i recently switched to shampooing once and co-washing 1-2 times a week i tried 2 silicone free conditioners but my hair is still REALLY sticky and heavy (scalp and first 2-4 inches of my hair) i have fine very THIN DRYYY wavy\curly damaged hair and normal scalp it isn't that oily.. I don't want to get back to shampooing twice a week i feel like my hair is starting to get more moisturized :( what can i do to help with this problem? It's really disgusting how sticky and heavy it feels! Would co-washing more help with it? Or should i co-wash less? Or maybe just use the onditioner on the entire length without touching the scalp maybe that's what's making it sticky and heavy? Or should i use ACV for a couple of hours before co-washing? I don't know what to do! Help me :)

It sounds like you're not co-washing properly or you are using conditioners that aren't suitable for washing. So doing it more or less won't help, it'll just mean you have those same results either more frequently or less frequently. What is your actual method for co-washing?

I think ACV is used after washing to smooth the cuticle, so I can't imagine using it prior to washing would have any benefit. I don't understand what you mean in the bolded part - if you don't use conditioner on the scalp, then that isn't co-washing.

If you explain what your co-washing steps are, we could help with more specifics :)

Firefox7275
November 14th, 2013, 02:51 AM

Conditioner only washing doesn't work for everyone with fine hair, others find their sebum production takes time to adjust so need to wash more frequently initially. Technique and product selection are critical. You would need to do more than simply avoid silicones, at the minimum your wash product should be rich in emulsifiers (cationic surfactants and/ or fatty alcohols), light on oils butters and waxes including cetyl esters. Many cannot use protein at the root area either. Tresemme Naturals is too rich/ heavy for some to use as a co-wash and feel clean.

Technique wise check out YouTube. Personally I use WAY more product (Inecto conditioner) that any tutorial I have seen, massage until I work up a light lather, rinse with more massage until my hair is literally 'squeaky' clean (not stripped squeaky like shampoo but way more rinsing than when conditioning). I also wash with my head upside down so I can easily get to the scalp, I used to do the 'soak' step with co-washing but dropped that once my technique improved.

niky45
November 14th, 2013, 06:35 AM
... for me it seems that you aren't doing it right.

I mean... is your hair as clean as if you used shampoo when you finish CO-wash? it should feel a little more moisturised, but squeaky clean. if it doesn't, then you aren't doing it right.

btw, for a couple long posts with tips, look HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116881&page=3&p=2561127&viewfull=1#post2561127) (and scroll down a little for the second one!)

and btw, my hair seems to prefer a conditioner with amodimethicone (that is supposed to not build up...), than one without any cones. (although I tried the cone-free just once... and also, I'm not sure about the effects of the rest of ingredients.)

can't give you any brand names, since I'm in Spain, and here I can't find any of the brands that most people use.

oh, and about the ACV. it is GREAT as a leave-in rinse... for AFTER the wash. It would be useless if you do it BEFORE.

Crabbyco
November 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Just adding to what Foxfire said. With co-washing it's about technic, product and trial/error. What works for one people may not work for you. I'm a fine hair wavy and I've gotten it to work for me. I use Natures Gate conditioners and dilute them with water to make it very runny. I step into the shower and wet hair, apply conditioner to top of head concentrating on scalp then flip head down and apply to nape and back of head, again making sure scalp is most important. Then massage into scalp and run fingers through length. I let it sit on my head while I do other shower stuff. Then rinse, rinse, rinse massaging scalp with pads of my fingers.
When I first started CO I used two conditioners, one that was more cleansing then a moisturizing in a two step wash. I don't feel I need that any more. I also add a little citric acid to my conditioner that makes more cleansing.