PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have hair that is thinner on one side of their head?

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I know this might sound stupid but the hair on one side of my head is thinner than the other side lol. I first noticed it when I was about 8 and I was getting my hair cut, and the hairdresser noticed it. I'm not worried about excessive shedding because it's always been like that! Does anyone else have this? Oh and I have a centre parting :)

Kwantslonghair
November 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yes. My hair is thinner on the right side

Crumpet
November 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Yup, mine is thinner on the right side. I usually part on the left for this reason.

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 01:03 PM
My hair is thinner on the right too

blue_eyes
November 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
My hair is thinner on the right as well! By the way Jennielee88, your hair looks gorgeous! You've got my dream hair lol, I'm about 2 years away :P

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM
My hair is thinner on the right as well! By the way Jennielee88, your hair looks gorgeous! You've got my dream hair lol, I'm about 2 years away :P

Aw thankyou. It probably isn't your dream hair if you took a closer look at it! Some of it has snapped off and it's gone kind of dull because it's had the life bleached out of it.. I used to have gorgeous dark glossy hair, I wish I'd never messed about with it -_-

Almendra
November 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
My hair is thinner in the right side too. I don't like this assymetry :(

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Everyone's hair seems to be thinner on the right... I wonder why

makeminea99
November 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM
My hair is thinner on the left! Although it seems to have evened up a little over the past year, as I've been trying to make the effort to change my parting every day, when I can get my hair to co-operate! :)

knhess
November 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM
My hair is slightly thinner on the side I sleep on the most. I've been trying to alternate sides now because of that!

BlazingHeart
November 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM
It's more unusual to have even hair distribution than to have one side thicker than the other. I'm thinner on the left, which was the side I almost always slept on until I messed up my left shoulder.

whitedove
November 12th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I have a theory with thinner sides. Both me and my mum are thinner on our dominant hand sides and I think its just that we brush a little more and possibly harder on our dominant side. Also reading others posts about sleeping on dominant side, this could also contribute. Wonder if this is worth doing a poll? would be kinda interesting to see results.

Taenarian
November 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Yes, another with thinner hair on the right side. Very definitely I go to sleep on my left side, so not sure what's going on with that.

wrh452
November 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
When I used to do hair, I would notice some people have thinner hair on one side than the other and I asked them all what side they sleep on. It was always the thinner side.

I has one lady come in and hers was so bad that is was all broken on one side and and in really terrible condition. She must have been a wild sleeper!

I also had a friend whose hair grew drastically faster on one side than the other. That side would always be half an inch longer one month later when i went to trim it.

Pamala513
November 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I don't sleep On any one side, but I am left handed and my hair has always been thinnest on the left side.

Amapola
November 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM
My hair is thinner on the right side, but I am an equal opportunity sleeper, sleeping on either side, and I am ambidextrous. So that would throw the curve off a study! :)

starlamelissa
November 12th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I sleep face down, or on my back, depending. My hair is thinner on my right side, it grows a bit slower on that side too, even my bangs.

But it really isn't noticeable to anyone but me and the gal who cuts my hair.

Dianadarlene
November 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM
My hair is not thinner on one side.. however, especially in the back, it grows much faster on one side than the other. The girl who trims my hair says that it is a male-dominated trait..but sometimes girls get it. but to make it even in the back, she has to cut an extra inch off of the 'fast' growing side. :rolleyes:

0xalis
November 13th, 2013, 12:35 AM
My hair is thinner on one side, but I'm not really sure which one and I don't feel like fiddling with it. It's not noticeable though, so I don't care.

Libbylou
November 13th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Mine is thinner on the right also. I am right handed, but sleep on my left side. I also have a cowlick on the right side of my bangs.

sagremus
November 13th, 2013, 01:53 AM
I am thinner on my left side. I am ambidextrous. I sleep on either side and on my back but favor sleeping on my right side.

Nanna
November 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I have thinner hair on my right side, too, and I'm right-handed. I thought it might be from sleeping on it, but I'm not so sure anymore, because I don't really favor the right side, and the thinning is really noticeable. It also grows slower and seems to be weirdly fluffy and funny. The left side behaves itself, mostly.

Actually, I've been wondering if it couldn't be linked to right- or left-handedness after all, in that I use my right hand more, so technically my left brain gets used more, and more use = better bloodflow on that side. That could theoretically affect the growth, though mostly the blood would be inside the skull and not in the scalp.

Magalo
November 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM
My hair is noticeably thinner on the right side. I use to have a very deep side part with heavy "emo" bangs most of my teenage years, and the "thin" (opposite side of the bangs) is my thin side today. I now have straight bangs with a center part, so I was frustrated to discover my hair is still much thinner on this side. I probably still have breakage/short hairs on my temple from where my bangs started, so maybe it'll get thicker with time. :shrug:

For the sake of statistics, I sleep on both my right side, left side and on my back, but my right side feels the more comfortable, so I probably sleep a bit more on it.

HumanBean
November 13th, 2013, 09:18 PM
My hair volume is thinner on the right. I am right handed and sleep on my left.

*BrunetteBeauty
November 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I noticed a couple weeks ago that when I had bangs about a year ago, I would part them to one side. The stylist told me that I had to "train" my bangs to go to that one side so I needed to pull on my hair and guide it in the direction I wanted it to go. That resulted in some hair loss. It's not major but I notice it. I think it is starting to grow back a tad but maybe I'll try some things to help it along the way. Anywho...I think this has made that one side "thinner".

kysgrl
November 14th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Yes! Thinner on the right.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 14th, 2013, 01:28 AM
mine is thicker on the right side and I sleep quite a bit on my right side.

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM
My hair is thinner on the right. I part to the left to make it look like I am going for that style :) It also has more broken of babyhairs in the hairline on that side.
OP JennieLee your hair is fascinating! I have never seen such long bleached hair. It's hard not to stare at it.

ErinLeigh
November 14th, 2013, 02:18 AM
If we are discussing handedness to determine if it factors in, I'm one of those lefties who does everything right handed except to eat and write.

furnival
November 14th, 2013, 02:47 AM
It's more unusual to have even hair distribution than to have one side thicker than the other.
This. I see so many threads where people are puzzled because their hairline is asymmetrical, or their hair grows faster/is thinner on one side as though perfect symmetry is the norm. Perfect symmetry is pretty much an entirely human construct: look closely at any natural shape or pattern that appears to be symmetrical and you'll see that it is subtly different on each side.

We could read more into this and suggest that the natural asymmetry of our bodies is yet another target for the beauty industry to shine its damning spotlight upon, providing images of impossibly symmetrical beauty for us to compare ourselves unfavourably against and deeming the norm abnormal, or maybe it's just that we have grown so used to instances of perfect symmetry in our man-made world that we expect to find it in ourselves.

pandabarrier
May 26th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Reviving older thread.
My left side is thinner, and I sleep mostly on my left. But I have more hair on my left nape, so when I divide the hair for braids, I have to compensate the difference for a even braid that I can finish.

Cherriezzzzz
May 26th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I have a theory with thinner sides. Both me and my mum are thinner on our dominant hand sides and I think its just that we brush a little more and possibly harder on our dominant side. Also reading others posts about sleeping on dominant side, this could also contribute. Wonder if this is worth doing a poll? would be kinda interesting to see results.

Right side thicker and I'm right handed... ;)

Cherriezzzzz
May 26th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Reviving older thread.
My left side is thinner, and I sleep mostly on my left. But I have more hair on my left nape, so when I divide the hair for braids, I have to compensate the difference for a even braid that I can finish.

I sleep on my left and am thinner on my left... I have to compensate for my daughter's braids that way also! Ha! My daughter's thicker on her right side like me too, but she's left handed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 26th, 2017, 08:26 PM
My sides are just thin in general lol i cant really tell which one it thinner than the other.

lithostoic
May 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
My right side is thinner than my left. Possibly from my aggressive nuzzling into the pillow at night. I need a silk/satin cap.

littlestarface
May 26th, 2017, 09:33 PM
My right side is thinner than my left and my left side has more volume too and you can see it too, as the roots on the left side puff up but on the right side everything is thin and flat. Everything on my right side is uglier than my left?! What the heck!!!!!

diddiedaisy
May 27th, 2017, 12:16 AM
My left side is thinner but it only shows on the length. I sleep on my right side though so I dunno!!!

Alun
May 27th, 2017, 02:00 AM
Right side thinner. I've always assumed it was because of being attacked in the street by a random weirdo. Sounds like it may be because I sleep on that side?

littlestarface
May 27th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Right side thinner. I've always assumed it was because of being attacked in the street by a random weirdo. Sounds like it may be because I sleep on that side?

I don't think so, I sleep on my left side alot and right too alot and I wear a silk cap I think its just how our hair grows. Look at other things on yourself very closely in a mirror and examine yourself like your jaw or eyelids, I bet you can see some difference between both of them I know I can loool.

Crystawni
May 27th, 2017, 02:28 AM
Mine's always been thinner (almost by half) on my right side. Having twin plaits (braids) as a young girl wasn't for me, as the right one was always a pencil-thin oddity that made me look like my hair was divided wrong in the back. And this was before I had control of brushing/grooming, so don't think it's a hand-dominance thing, and I sleep whichever way. I'm a righty who uses both hands, but am right-eyed and right-eared from birth (partially blind and deaf), and part my hair over the right eye so I can see as well as put my hair behind my hearing ear, cowlicks, thinness and all.

Ezusthold
May 27th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Right side thinner here too :):)
I never had really long hair, but when I had it long enough to have piggy tails (is this the right word? Like pony tail, just 2 of them on the side instead one in the middle:), so my right piggy was always waaay thinner than the left one.
I'm right handed, and was sleeping on my stomach in the past, sleeping on sides (both) currently.
What I also recognized that my face also a little bit different sidewise, eg my lips are a little bit plummer on left side. Maybe I just having better circulation on left side, or something similar.

lapushka
May 27th, 2017, 05:24 AM
My left side is thinner, and I sleep on the left, all the time. I still firmly believe it has nothing to do with it, though. Just the way the follicles have been distributed is my guess on that.

Frankenstein
May 27th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Mine is thinner on the right side and it grows slower on that side as well.

Andthetalltrees
May 27th, 2017, 02:14 PM
My younger sister has remarkably less hair on one side of her head(can't remember which one), So much so that when she has two French braids for Gymnastics training one is about 1/3rd the amount even parted evenly down the middle. For me I've never noticed it was thinner on one side

esfand
May 27th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I don't know about hair on my head but my armpit hair and body hair are thinner on the left side, and my right side is hairier. I am also mostly left handed/ambidexterous.

Estrid
May 27th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I have thinner hair on the right side. I always slept on my left side as a kid and 80 % of the time I do now as well, so that's not the cause :p

nekosan
May 27th, 2017, 04:32 PM
When i was in third grade with waist-length hair, i realized that the hair on the right-hand side of my head was noticeably shorter than on the left, and figured it was probably because i was always playing with locks of hair on the right-hand side. I decided i had two choices: never play with my hair, or make an effort to play with hair on both sides of my head equally. I choose the latter. =) It did work, my hemline went from a slant to a more U-shape.

Nowadays my hair just tapers all the way down. I don't think that one side is really longer or thicker than the other.

ninjarambohd
May 29th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Don't mean to bump up this thread again but I read through it and it fits me perfectly. When we are younger we don't notice things. This is true in my case. I never paid attention to my hair before until I became older. Then I started noticing that my left side is thinner than the right. I panicked. But my mom showes me a picture of when I was much younger around 6 or 7 years of age and I noticed it has been like this since then and I posted some picture to prove it. Though sometimes it doesn't show other times it does. Example if I take a picture with the camera facing me it looks like I've got the perfect hairline other times it clearly shows. This ia true for a lot of people actually. Don't know many ladies but people like Jake Gylenhall for example his left is thinner than his right. Anyways here are some pictures:

https://s18.postimg.org/4ofl03de1/20170529_125036.jpg

https://s22.postimg.org/bekw7dwxd/20170529_125115.jpg

Picture taken with camera facing me:

https://s23.postimg.org/riqoim56j/20170529_125153.jpg

Me as a child:

https://s11.postimg.org/iu6acxwkj/20170529_125228.jpg

OhSuzi
May 30th, 2017, 09:46 AM
my left side has less hair - makes for uneven bunches and its less curly than the right side - I just go for a massive side part & flip it all to the right and as my hair get longer tuck the left side behind my ear / pull the left side over towards my right shoulder - sort of Jerry hall / veronica lake style - you gotta work with what you got!

going gray
May 30th, 2017, 10:03 AM
My hair is much thinner on my right side, but then I've lost over 1/3 of my total volume through the years. I'm very, very grateful for the thick hair I had!

Alun
May 30th, 2017, 11:47 PM
I don't think so, I sleep on my left side alot and right too alot and I wear a silk cap I think its just how our hair grows. Look at other things on yourself very closely in a mirror and examine yourself like your jaw or eyelids, I bet you can see some difference between both of them I know I can loool.

Perhaps there was some underlying difference between the two sides. I know in the attack I lost some hair from around the temple on the right side, but the difference is more than that, over a greater area.

It is around 30 years since I was attacked. The guy looked crazy, like he had the proverbial 100 yard stare. The police were worse than useless. No bloody help atall. I'm talking about the London Metropolitan Police. More useful for lost tourists than any actual crime.

littlestarface
May 31st, 2017, 01:23 AM
Perhaps there was some underlying difference between the two sides. I know in the attack I lost some hair from around the temple on the right side, but the difference is more than that, over a greater area.

It is around 30 years since I was attacked. The guy looked crazy, like he had the proverbial 100 yard stare. The police were worse than useless. No bloody help atall. I'm talking about the London Metropolitan Police. More useful for lost tourists than any actual crime.

Goodness! thank god you came it out of it alive. sorry about the cops tho even here they are bloody useless at times. heck even when I was in london and was lost some cop or something was just making jokes about it. :( lol.

AmberLouise89
May 31st, 2017, 12:48 PM
My hair is a lot thinner on my right side than my left, I don't think it has anything to do with how I sleep though because I almost always sleep on my left side.