PDA

View Full Version : Removing Shed Hairs

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hello. I have always had major tangle problems with my baby fine hair. I think it makes it worse to have hairs mixed in that aren't even attached to the head anymore. However, I don't like to do a lot of brushing, and I cannot comb at all without breaking hairs. So how do you all get those old hairs out without damaging your hair? Do you finger comb?

LauraLongLocks
November 12th, 2013, 07:06 AM
It sounds like your hair doesn't have enough "slip" if you can't comb without breaking. Are you using products with cones in the length? How about using oils on your length? Try a wider tooth, or a finer tooth comb, depending on which you have been using. Be very careful when you encounter tangles. Try to comb them without ripping through them so the hair doesn't break.

I comb when putting my hair into an updo, and reserve brushing for once a day, at night, just a few strokes to help get the oils to the ends of my hair. I like the feel of my BBB on my head, but if I'm too vigorous, or too many strokes, I lose a lot more hair.

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I think I have tried everything over the years. It helps to clarify a lot. I do use oils. I use cones on and off. Some conditioners without cones work just as well. I just have a type of hair that can't be combed without breaking. If I take a section of hair, comb through it very carefully, think I have all the tangles out, and go to comb through it again, it is tangled again.

Lunearia
November 12th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I usually gather all my hair and hold it like a ponytail on my shoulder, take a firm grip around it on one hand and either run my fingers through it with the other or just slightly "stroke" it to get the loose hairs out. I do this right after combing (which is when I'm putting my hair up) or when taking my hair down. This works for me, and I hope it helps you too. :)

Madora
November 12th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I think I have tried everything over the years. It helps to clarify a lot. I do use oils. I use cones on and off. Some conditioners without cones work just as well. I just have a type of hair that can't be combed without breaking. If I take a section of hair, comb through it very carefully, think I have all the tangles out, and go to comb through it again, it is tangled again.

How you detangle makes all the difference when it comes to dealing with tangles. A wide tooth comb is best because it does the wide spaced tines do a better job of separating the individual hairs as you comb through them.

However, the actual combing process is everything. For best results, make a center part (dividing the hair into 2 parts). Band one side with a scrunchie so that it out of the way while you're working on the other side of your hair. Then take a small section of hair (2" or so). Start from the bottom of the strands and comb down SLOWLY. Move up another 2 inches and comb down to the end. Continue thusly until you reach the scalp. Then take another 2 inch section and repeat. You might want to clip the sections that you have combed out so they do not get mixed in with the uncombed sections.

If you find a tangle/mat/snarl, do NOT try to untangle the thing with your comb! Use your fingers to untangle the snarl.

Unsnarling a knot/tangle/snarl is a lot easier if you hold the hair in a horizontal position, then work the knot from both sides to loosen it. If you work on the knot while it is in a vertical position, you're only tightening the knot, making it worse.

And of course, never, ever, be in a hurry (or mad) when detangling.

Best tip for avoid major tangling: wear it up.

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 09:12 AM
That is a good idea. I will try it, although it is generally impossible to run my fingers through my hair.

I usually gather all my hair and hold it like a ponytail on my shoulder, take a firm grip around it on one hand and either run my fingers through it with the other or just slightly "stroke" it to get the loose hairs out. I do this right after combing (which is when I'm putting my hair up) or when taking my hair down. This works for me, and I hope it helps you too. :)

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM
My hair is up at all times during the day, and braided at night. The only time it is down is when it is drying.

I appreciate your suggestions, but I really think you would have to have baby fine hair to understand what I am dealing with.:o

How you detangle makes all the difference when it comes to dealing with tangles. A wide tooth comb is best because it does the wide spaced tines do a better job of separating the individual hairs as you comb through them.

However, the actual combing process is everything. For best results, make a center part (dividing the hair into 2 parts). Band one side with a scrunchie so that it out of the way while you're working on the other side of your hair. Then take a small section of hair (2" or so). Start from the bottom of the strands and comb down SLOWLY. Move up another 2 inches and comb down to the end. Continue thusly until you reach the scalp. Then take another 2 inch section and repeat. You might want to clip the sections that you have combed out so they do not get mixed in with the uncombed sections.

If you find a tangle/mat/snarl, do NOT try to untangle the thing with your comb! Use your fingers to untangle the snarl.

Unsnarling a knot/tangle/snarl is a lot easier if you hold the hair in a horizontal position, then work the knot from both sides to loosen it. If you work on the knot while it is in a vertical position, you're only tightening the knot, making it worse.

And of course, never, ever, be in a hurry (or mad) when detangling.

Best tip for avoid major tangling: wear it up.

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I have the same problem, I avoid combing because my hair breaks. Then when I do comb it looks like I'm shedding loooaaads because the shed hairs have been gathering up with nowhere to go! Check out my last thread that I started... If you can get hold of lee stafford hair growth treatment it makes hair really soft and tangle free so a lot easier to comb

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Well, my hair is always very soft, but certainly not tangle free!

Flor
November 12th, 2013, 12:24 PM
What about cold water vinegar/lemon rinses? Tried it? Do you S&D? Mine used to tangle a lot more before I started S&D regularly. Bent and broken hair ends tend to knot a lot. Oil applied to semi-dry ends helps a lot too.

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I see you have the same hair type as I do. Not really a very common type as far as I can tell. Anyway, I do not do S&D. I actually don't seem to have splits. I do have a few white dots. It just hasn't seemed worth the effort.

I tried a vinegar rinse once, but can't see going to the trouble when I can just use a clarifying shampoo.

What about cold water vinegar/lemon rinses? Tried it? Do you S&D? Mine used to tangle a lot more before I started S&D regularly. Bent and broken hair ends tend to knot a lot. Oil applied to semi-dry ends helps a lot too.

nobeltonya
November 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I've never been able to fingercomb.. I just grab the whole length in one hand and run it down the length, once over each shoulder.. the sheds seem to come out pretty easily. :disco:

UP Lisa
November 13th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Run what down the length?

I've never been able to fingercomb.. I just grab the whole length in one hand and run it down the length, once over each shoulder.. the sheds seem to come out pretty easily. :disco:

chen bao jun
November 13th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Lots of very fine haired people cannot comb AT ALL. Combing actually cuts their hair off. I do not have this sort of hair myself but I know many people who do because it is common among people of African descent to have baby fine hair, which, added to the ultra curliness is why many appear to not grow hair--it breaks off as faster or faster than it grows.

These are solutions I have seen: try not to create tangles, since they are so hard to get rid of in this hair type. It helps to keep hair braided loosely at night (and in a satin cap) and also, oddly enough to wash hair in braids. yes, it does get clean. Make two loose braids, wash the scalp, and then undo one braid at a time and fingercomb shed hairs out gently while hair is coated with a slippy conditioner. Then rebraid.
Do not ever detangle at other times.

Hope this helps a little, of course, modify it as needed for your hair type, which is somewhat less fragile because you don't have the curls that add to the propensity to break.
I have read people of Scandinavian descent (where ultra baby fine hair is really common) say before that they were helped by using some of the same products and same techniques that help preserve fine African hair, but YMMV.
Dont brush either--but you sound as if you know this. I know my mom's hair brushes right off, its even worse than combing.

kysgrl
November 14th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I have babyfine hair and use a tangle teezer starting at the ends and working my way up. I also found that my hair needs cones or it breaks off, it's like it adds a coat of protection and strength.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your input. I have not tried shampooing while my hair is braided, but it seems like it was suggested to me once before a long time ago. It just might help, since I can have all the tangles out of my hair when I finish showering, and then by the time I get out it is all tangled up again. (I do not rub it with the towel). The only brushing I ever do is very gently with a soft bristled brush. And only when it's dry.

Lots of very fine haired people cannot comb AT ALL. Combing actually cuts their hair off. I do not have this sort of hair myself but I know many people who do because it is common among people of African descent to have baby fine hair, which, added to the ultra curliness is why many appear to not grow hair--it breaks off as faster or faster than it grows.

These are solutions I have seen: try not to create tangles, since they are so hard to get rid of in this hair type. It helps to keep hair braided loosely at night (and in a satin cap) and also, oddly enough to wash hair in braids. yes, it does get clean. Make two loose braids, wash the scalp, and then undo one braid at a time and fingercomb shed hairs out gently while hair is coated with a slippy conditioner. Then rebraid.

Hope this helps a little, of course, modify it as needed for your hair type, which is somewhat less fragile because you don't have the curls that add to the propensity to break.
I have read people of Scandinavian descent (where ultra baby fine hair is really common) say before that they were helped by using some of the same products and same techniques that help preserve fine African hair, but YMMV.
Dont brush either--but you sound as if you know this. I know my mom's hair brushes right off, its even worse than combing.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Thank you for your input. I have not tried shampooing while my hair is braided, but it seems like it was suggested to me once before a long time ago. It just might help, since I can have all the tangles out of my hair when I finish showering, and then by the time I get out it is all tangled up again. (I do not rub it with the towel). The only brushing I ever do is very gently with a soft bristled brush. And only when it's dry.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have a tangle teezer, but can't decide whether it helps or hurts. When I do use it, it seems to be better if I start at the top.

I have babyfine hair and use a tangle teezer starting at the ends and working my way up. I also found that my hair needs cones or it breaks off, it's like it adds a coat of protection and strength.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I have a tangle teezer, but can't decide whether it helps or hurts. When I do use it, it seems to be better if I start at the top.

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Good luck. You have pretty hair by the way. and I know that babyfine hair feels the best, so soft and silky. You have already got a good length and I believe you will grow more.

SpinDance
November 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Shed hairs cause tangles for me as well. I wear my hair up nearly all the time except when it is being washed, drying or when I'm specifically doing something with it. I find that running my hands over the outside of my hair and off the ends help to draw down those loose shed hairs so I can remove them. I don't use a brush, even bbb will break my hair causing more problems long term. Several times a day I'll take my bun down, sort of shake the hair a bit to let things loosen up, run my hands over it to catch loose hairs, then I'll finger comb. Nothing major, just sort of starting at the bottom I'll put one finger through the 'pony'/ends a little bit up from the ends, then gently move it down, catching loose hairs as I go. Then do that over and over, starting farther from the ends and always removing any sheds that come out. When I've worked all the way to the roots I'll do a little gentle scritching/massage, followed by a few times of moving my hands down the lengths to remove sheds. If I do comb I always use a wide tooth comb and use it slowly.

It is actually rare for me to get an actual tangle, where hairs are tied around each other. If I do find one there is nearly always a shed hair and a split end involved. I gently open the tangle and remove the cut end if possible, otherwise I'll just snip off the knot however necessary to get the damaged parts out. If I start to get tangles like this it usually means I need to do some S&D sessions, and possibly to do a clarifying wash. S&D nearly always does the trick, though.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I don't know why I'm getting double posts now. Hopefully I won't this time.

And thanks for the compliment!

kysgrl
November 22nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
I do too sometimes! I start at the top and go to a few inches down and pick it up and put it back in lower to work the tangle out. And then work the ends up.