PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale ends - what are they like?

florenonite
November 12th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I know what they look like and I know how they happen, but what I'm wondering is this: What are they like to live with?

When I watch YouTube hairstyle videos done by people with FTE, they always look so much easier to bun and braid than my hair is, but I've never really dealt with FTE before so I don't know if that's really the case, or if FTE can have the same problems with shorter hairs escaping as I do with my layers.

I'm just curious as to whether or not they're really easier to handle than blunt cuts or layers, or if they just look that way to the untrained observer.

XcaliburGirl
November 12th, 2013, 04:57 AM
I think they definitely helped when I had them. The difference between FTE and layers is that FTE are very gradual. Since hair strands tend to cling together, with layers you get a whole lock of hair too short to go around the bun again (for eaxmple). With FTE, the longer hairs keep the shorter hairs somewhat in line.

melusine963
November 12th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Fairytail ends are definitely much easier to tuck neatly into updos. Blunt ends tend to stick out much more.

Bagginslover
November 12th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Though I don't have FTE, I dohave layers cut using the 'forehead ponytail' method, which gives layers that run into each others, rather than steps, so mimicks FTE to some degree ;)

About 6 months ago, I cut off 3 inches to thicken my hem line, and get rid of some of my layers-BIG MISTAKE!!! I couldn't tuck my ends into buns anymore, my braid tassels were chunky and very difficult to braid to the ends, it just felt horrible. So after a few months of trying to deal, I just cut the layers back in! Couldn't be happier with them now.

I probably won't cut them again, but instead allow them to fairytail properly with S+D sessions instead of all over trims.

Madora
November 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
My hair usually been blunt cut for years and I never had any trouble with tucking in ends, etc.

Now that my hair has fairytailed I find that the only change is that I do more "hair borrowing" (for lack of a better term) when braiding down to the very ends. (My hair is about an inch past my fingertips).

"Hair borrowing" is simply adding a tiny bit of hair from each side to the center section" once you've passed a certain length in the braid. My hair is thinner about the last foot or so, so the "hair borrowing" helps me braid all the way to the end, without a lot of hairs sticking out.

I wouldn't recommend having layers because you're always fighting with stray bits when you bun or braid. That would drive me nuts as I like a neat look to my hairstyles.

florenonite
November 12th, 2013, 10:10 AM
These responses are making me consider letting my ends fairytale so that there's a nice gradual reduction in thickness for my buns. Though I don't know if that's going to happen before I reach my goal, as with yearly cuts in the past my ends have never fairytaled and I'll reach my goal around 16 months after my last cut. I hope they do, just so I can try it out for myself.

Kaelee
November 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I can't wait for my hair to fairytale. I hope it doesn't look odd, I don't care for it on all hair types, so I don't know what it will look like.

Jennielee88
November 12th, 2013, 12:41 PM
How does hair Fairytale?

Valkyriejae
November 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I just cut my hair to a blunt from fairy tale ends, and it's become SUCH a pain to bun >< I can never get the ends to tuck under properly and stay there (my hair is also much softer and slipperier now, so that's not helping either...)
On the other hand, I prefer how my hair braids now - I use to have way more wispies sticking out the sides of my braid near the end, whereas now it all just stays together.

Madora
November 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
How does hair Fairytale?

For me it was plain benign neglect...and very small trims to the ends once in a while. Took about 3 years.

Madora
November 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I just cut my hair to a blunt from fairy tale ends, and it's become SUCH a pain to bun >< I can never get the ends to tuck under properly and stay there (my hair is also much softer and slipperier now, so that's not helping either...)
On the other hand, I prefer how my hair braids now - I use to have way more wispies sticking out the sides of my braid near the end, whereas now it all just stays together.

The way to bun easily with blunt hair (when not braiding) is to not try and go all the way to the ends. Instead, bun down until you have about 2-1/2 inches left of hair, then take the remaining hair, twist it gently once, then tuck it under the bun edge and pin with hairpins.