PDA

View Full Version : I think I made a bad mistake!

RitaCeleste
November 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I did an oil treatment on my hair, loads of conditioner still didn't get out. I picked up a moisture renewal conditioner and shampooed. My hair felt dreadful when I rinsed. It was like straw. I conditioned and it was I guess alright but still seems really rough. Someone gave me a bottle of this strengthing shampoo for breaking hair because they were allergic to it. I used it. No, my hair is tough as nails, its not breaking. It seemed to make my hair feel harder and stiffer, so I rinsed it and used my regular conditioner. My hair was soaking up oil like crazy, and after throwing every other I had at it, I did a coconut oil soak. But when my regular condtioner failed to get all the oil out, I shampooed. When I rinsed, my hair felt like straw. I assume that maybe that free super conditioner might have had protein of some sort in it and it just dried my hair up. Or is my hair just aweful under the cones all the time and I don't know it because I keep using the conditioner? If its just too much protein, I can wait it out and oil it to death. Any opinions or advice?

Magalo
November 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Sounds like protein overload!

Hootenanny
November 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Definitely sounds like too much protein. I'd do a protein-free clarifying shampoo (just to be sure), and then lay off the protein for a good long while. No coconut oil either, as it tends to reduce protein loss, and you want to lose protein right now! Try moisturizing as much as you can with protein-free conditioners. Good luck! :)

RitaCeleste
November 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM
yeah, I tried oiling it just a little to make it feel better and it hasn't soaked in yet. I hope it soaks in and I don't have to wash it again soon. I so should have just thrown that conditioner away.

with sunflower oil, its the lightest thing I have.

Hootenanny
November 11th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Sorry, should have said this before: I'd do an SMT using a protein-free condish. The honey and aloe should help. I've been in the same boat, and I know how upsetting over-proteining can be! But it WILL get better! :)

kganihanova
November 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM
It was probably the protein. Too much can do terrible things........

Liz_park
November 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I would recommend Joico's Clarifying Shampoo. I have had a similar problem, stiff straw-like hair, and the clarifying shampoo (followed by a nice conditioner) made it feel like new hair. You may have mineral build-up as well as too much protein and the Joico Clarifying shampoo helps so much! I mention that brand specifically because that's the one that has made the most difference for me. Some other clarifying shampoos I've tried don't remove mineral build up and just dry your hair further.

Roscata
November 12th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I agree with Liz_park Joico Kpak shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Joico-K-PAK-Clarifying-Shampoo/dp/B001E6EME4/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1366243001&sr=1-1&keywords=joico+k-pak+clarifying+chelating+shampoo) is very good at removing build up mineral and topical. I want to reiterate that this shampoo is THE one to use, because it clarifies AND chelates. If your build up is mineral and you use a random clarifying shampoo, don't be surprised when nothing changes, because it wont help. I would also recommend doing an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) (using a protein-free conditioner) after using that shampoo. Good luck! :)

tigereye
November 12th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Another suggestion if its protein overload: Try clarifying (and possibly chelating), then dump a bunch of cone-free condish, or an SMT with cone-free condish on it. The reason I suggest it, even if you use cones a lot, is that in my experience, cones can sometimes effectively "lock" out the moisture you likely desperately need in times like these, especially if you're using a ton at one time, and may or may not lock the protein in at the same time, when in reality you want to get rid of it.

It's just a suggestion - you could go back to regular cones again after a short while.

florenonite
November 12th, 2013, 02:39 AM
I agree with Liz_park Joico Kpak shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Joico-K-PAK-Clarifying-Shampoo/dp/B001E6EME4/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1366243001&sr=1-1&keywords=joico+k-pak+clarifying+chelating+shampoo) is very good at removing build up mineral and topical. I want to reiterate that this shampoo is THE one to use, because it clarifies AND chelates. If your build up is mineral and you use a random clarifying shampoo, don't be surprised when nothing changes, because it wont help. I would also recommend doing an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) (using a protein-free conditioner) after using that shampoo. Good luck! :)

Or if, like me, you don't want to spend £9 on a bottle of shampoo, Herbal Essences Fresh Balance also clarifies and chelates; it contains SLS and SLES, but also citric acid and Tetrasodium EDTA.