PDA

View Full Version : Best unconventional hair treatments/conditioners thread

r00ski
November 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM
..Does such a thread exist?

I'd like to get together a list of things other than conditioners and oils that is beneficial to hair and how to best use them.

Examples being..

Honey (added to conditioners/treatments)
Coconut milk (as a hair masque?)
Apple Cider Vinegar (as a rinse)
Catnip (as a strengthening soak)

Anyone else have anything? We could all have hair treats sitting around in our pantries right now that would have otherwise gone unnoticed!

Unite and inform.. and grow grow grow!:joy:

askan
November 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I used eggs for a long time! Two eggs and a splash of apple cider vinegar, blend and rub into the scalp instead of shampoo. Conditioner should be used as usual afterwards. It worked well on my bleached hair.

kmcg
November 11th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I love the DIY approach. I make my own 'shampoo' with castile soap, homemade coconut milk, molasses and ground oatmeal and conditioning rinses from apple cider vinegar, teas, aloe and oil. Sometimes I do variations of a banana hair mask with cocoa powder, molasses, milk and other fruit like apricots or strawberries. It is messy but my hair is phenomenal afterwards. I've also tried egg, beer and molasses each by itself as a hair mask. Quinoa rinse water and soap nuts liquid have made good add ins for my 'shampoo.'
Check around the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare board for threads like this. There may not be a 'master list' of foods for hair but here is a LHC list of links to recipes and such (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115830).