PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to do ombre?

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Since I tend not to heat style my hair, I would like to have a more trendy color to make up for the fact that it's so straight and boring (I also don't like wearing it up). But I don't want to color all my hair, since I am really trying to keep it healthy. I love how ombre looks, and I've been able to get a slight lift at the ends with lemon juice and cinnamon, but it's still barely noticeable.

I was wondering how safe it would be to use actual dye for the ends? (a high lift, ammonia-free golden brown). I used to dye my hair all the time, and it only got damaged after I did it repeatedly and bleached it (yuck). My hair lifts REALLY easily even though it's dark- so I wouldn't have to process my hair that long to see a result.

Any recommendations for high lift dyes that won't totally kill my hair? I used Garnier Nutrisse high-lift browns in the past and I liked it, but I've also seen great results with the Revlon Colorsilk blondes (I would only leave it on for long enough to get some lightness- I don't want actual blonding)

Recs? tips? Am I playing with fire?

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Since I tend not to heat style my hair, I would like to have a more trendy color to make up for the fact that it's so straight and boring (I also don't like wearing it up). But I don't want to color all my hair, since I am really trying to keep it healthy. I love how ombre looks, and I've been able to get a slight lift at the ends with lemon juice and cinnamon, but it's still barely noticeable.

I was wondering how safe it would be to use actual dye for the ends? (a high lift, ammonia-free golden brown). I used to dye my hair all the time, and it only got damaged after I did it repeatedly and bleached it (yuck). My hair lifts REALLY easily even though it's dark- so I wouldn't have to process my hair that long to see a result.

Any recommendations for high lift dyes that won't totally kill my hair? I used Garnier Nutrisse high-lift browns in the past and I liked it, but I've also seen great results with the Revlon Colorsilk blondes (I would only leave it on for long enough to get some lightness- I don't want actual blonding)

Recs? tips? Am I playing with fire?

I was ombre for a few years before I went blonde. I used to use plain old fashioned bleach with a 3% developer at first which made it a dirty blondey sort of colour. Then I started to get more and more addicted to blonde and started using a 6% to make it lighter.
These days I wont have bleach near my head. I use Wella Koleston and I do think its a lot less damaging than bleach.
But if you don't want actual blonding and just a little bit of lift, I think bleach with 3% for 30 minutes would be fine and not very damaging. I think a low level developer is much better for ombre because it will look more 'gradual'.
I don't know if you've done it before but its a good idea to apply the bleach to the ends (in pigtails) for 20 minutes and then for the last 10 minutes apply more bleach *above* where you've already applied it. Also helps to make the colour change gradual rather than it being dark and then suddenly light where the bleach has been

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I was ombre for a few years before I went blonde. I used to use plain old fashioned bleach with a 3% developer at first which made it a dirty blondey sort of colour. Then I started to get more and more addicted to blonde and started using a 6% to make it lighter.
These days I wont have bleach near my head. I use Wella Koleston and I do think its a lot less damaging than bleach.
But if you don't want actual blonding and just a little bit of lift, I think bleach with 3% for 30 minutes would be fine and not very damaging. I think a low level developer is much better for ombre because it will look more 'gradual'.
I don't know if you've done it before but its a good idea to apply the bleach to the ends (in pigtails) for 20 minutes and then for the last 10 minutes apply more bleach *above* where you've already applied it. Also helps to make the colour change gradual rather than it being dark and then suddenly light where the bleach has been

How would you make the color change gradual? I agree I'd want a more subtle effect, and I really only want my ends to be light brown/auburn (right now they're more medium/dark brown) so I thought a light brown dye with a higher lift would be a good option- like Revlon Colorsilk for brunettes.

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I started out bleaching just the ends but ended up adding more and more blonde, going further up every time and adding some to my fringe (or bangs if you're from across the pond!) this is what it was like just before I went fully blonde. It was never in bad condition

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf21f953d.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb684627b.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7d140f3c.jpg

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I started out bleaching just the ends but ended up adding more and more blonde, going further up every time and adding some to my fringe (or bangs if you're from across the pond!) this is what it was like just before I went fully blonde. It was never in bad condition

Your hair looks awesome, although I know mine WOULD be in bad condition if I did that. Your hair might be thicker than mine, I'm not sure...but the few times I've used bleach my hair just MELTED OFF like bubble gum. It was scary! lol

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Here's how I used to do it.

1. Divide your hair into pigtails
2. Apply your bleach or colour from the bottom, to a few inches up depending on where you want your colour change to begin
3. Leave for 20 minutes
4. After 20 minutes apply a little more bleach further up your hair nearer to the mid section of your pigtails
5. Leave for 10 minutes

So the first section you applied bleach to (ie. the ends) will be lighter and the second section (ie. further up your pigtails) will be more subtle, resulting in a gradual ombré colour change

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Your hair looks awesome, although I know mine WOULD be in bad condition if I did that. Your hair might be thicker than mine, I'm not sure...but the few times I've used bleach my hair just MELTED OFF like bubble gum. It was scary! lol

Well as a 1b you have a similar hair type to me I guess so I'm pretty confident you'd be safe with only a 3% developer. It's not enough to make your hair blonde, just enough to lighten it up!

Alternatively have you seen the John Frieda 'go blonder' spray?

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Here's how I used to do it.

1. Divide your hair into pigtails
2. Apply your bleach or colour from the bottom, to a few inches up depending on where you want your colour change to begin
3. Leave for 20 minutes
4. After 20 minutes apply a little more bleach further up your hair nearer to the mid section of your pigtails
5. Leave for 10 minutes

So the first section you applied bleach to (ie. the ends) will be lighter and the second section (ie. further up your pigtails) will be more subtle, resulting in a gradual ombré colour change

Ahhh thank you! This makes sense!

alexis917
November 11th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I just used Garnier Nutrisse Ultra in Reflective Blue Black, and love it! My hair doesn't seem to have gotten damaged. It feels softer, honestly.
So, thumbs up for Nutrisse! I have 1c, C, iii hair a little past BSL and needed two boxes.