PDA

View Full Version : The thrill is gone - considering a chop

PinkyCat
November 11th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I have been so absolutely stone bored with my hair lately. Which is probably why I went blonde.
I reached my goal of TB over the summer and now....it seems like there's nothing to look forward to. :(
I remember being so excited as I would pass milestones - now...blah. And I'm feeling sort of...matronly?

Maybe I should start anew with a nice chop to APL to renew my excitement of the journey. I'm getting sick of chasing my roots every two weeks anyway.

What do you think? Anyone done this & loved it? Please share!

*UPDATE*
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I've decided to cut to BSL. My DH helped me position my CreaClip last night - and off it went! Honestly - it felt instantly WONDERFUL!
I LOVE IT!!
The ends are SO thick - I feel like I've never seen it like this before! It's still long enough to do a bunch of buns & still use my sticks. Now Ive decided to play with semi-permanent natural colors - there's no harm in that as I transition back to black, right?

Again thanks for all the ideas and talking me out of going shorter. I'll post pics if my phone will let me!

Idjit
November 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I was bored and cut to chin from almost waist this summer. I thought about it for a month or so before the cut but I still really regret it. Now I'm just waiting for it to grow back out. Long hair is so much easier...

Gingi
November 11th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I had long hair (about MBL) about three years ago. And as much as I loved it, looking back, I so wish I had tried alternate hair styles, just waited a little longer, or SOMETHING before cutting it. It's a personal decision, but you'd have a long time to regret it when (if) you decide to grow it back.
BUT maybe you won't regret it :). You could always cut it just a little shorter, but still long enough to put up if you want to...Good Luck!

bunzfan
November 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I say noooo as a curly think of the length shrinkage at APL and when i'm feeling bored i try and go back and try an updo or braid i couldn't really do at a shorter length. If you really want it shorter and you want to wear it down what about waist length?? it would be nice and blunt cutting back from such a long length.

DweamGoiL
November 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
When I had my youngest daughter, I went from TBL to above the shoulders. The hair had become work and it was heavy all the time. At that time, I really enjoyed having much shorter hair and it was nice just being able to enjoy it straight on a regular basis, which being a wavy, I could not do at all at TBL. Eventually, I found myself unconsciously growing out again, more due to lazyness than anything else, but my point is if you are so frustrated at this point, maybe a change is good. You can always grow it back later on if you are so inclined.

florenonite
November 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
If you want to cut so you can grow it out again and look forward to milestones, what about cutting around six inches off? Then you get to grow it out for a year, and if you regret it you only have a year of growing.

I joined LHC six years ago at shoulder length and since then I've grown to waist, cut to a bob, grown to waist, cut to shoulder, and am back at BSL. Prior to LHC my hair was in a similar cycle of grow, cut, grow. EVERY time I've cut I've enjoyed it for a while, then been impatient for it to grow again and missed the length. EVERY TIME. Look back at your own cutting history. Do you always cut and regret it? Or do you cut, enjoy it short, then enjoy growing? If it's the former, then maybe cut some off, but not too much. If it's the latter, then I'd say go ahead (after following the two-week rule, of course).

gonzobird
November 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I always regret it. That's just me. Learn some cool braids:)

mariakatija
November 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I think you could get maybe 4 inches cut off. Then after 2 months, you could cut more if you really want to. But don't go for a huge chop. I did once and I regretted it after a week. Perhaps you could try a short hair wig? Or maybe you could consider growing your hair to classic! That way you have another milestone to look forward to!

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm with "more milestones to go."

I do remember being bored and frustrated at TB. Classic fixed that, even though I did several bad self trims to attempt to even up my hemline.

Learn new styles, get a very different hair toy ( I got ficcares. I wasn't a clip wearer, I and really liked them for a while.), just ignore your hair for a while.

Maybe dye back to your color to. Not deal with roots. Or call it ombré.

lapushka
November 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
If you cut out of frustration, 9 times out of 10: regret. So I'd go a few milestones back, then see how you feel about your length. You can *always* go shorter, just do it in steps and moderation!

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I'm on the "cut it shorter, but not that short" boat. You could maybe try for some looooong layers for something different. And if you didn't like them growing them out could be your new hair project.

jacqueline101
November 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
If you're wanting to cut I'd at least wait the two week rule. I found that if I do something out of spite the out come isn't good. If you still want to cut at the end of the two weeks cut a little if that isn't doing it cut a little more. Cut a little at a time until you get it where you want it.

Of the Fae
November 11th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Even two week rule didn't save me from regretting my cut from BSL to pixie..I've done this multiple times and it sucks every time!
You could cut back maybe a few layers but as more people have said, a cut out of frustration is usually guilt afterwards!
But... if you're really really really sure don't let people tell you otherwise- I know this sounds contradictory but really someone else can only give advice not make the decision!

Saldana
November 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I'm casting my voice with the majority - I went from TBL to a shoulder-length bob, then bleached the life out of my hair. I was tired of coloring it, tired of putting my hair up, bored.....I regretted it almost immediately. Now I'm determinedly growing again, and just as determinedly NOT coloring.

Maybe if you really want it different, cut it back to waist length? Or try a new updo, or two, or three. One thing I used to do was a 'faux-bob'. I'd ponytail my hair and twist it upwards like a peacock twist or a French twist. Then I'd clip it near the top of my head with a Ficcarre or a large barrette, taking the 'left over' hair, split it, and let it hang down on either side of the barrette. It ended up looking very much like a brushed back pageboy or a shoulder length bob - gave me the illusion of shorter hair without cutting! :)

Madora
November 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I've had very short (for me) hair..from below waist to just scrapping shoulders. I didn't want to cut..far from it..but pain in my arm made it a necessity.

While I will admit having short hair makes shampooing so much easier, styling short hair was very short on options...b o r i n g!!! And so I started growing again.

It sounds to me that you're tired of having long hair (nothing wrong with that, although I fail to see how long hair would make you feel "matronly!

Be that as it may, if you want shorter hair, go for it...but I'd stay with bra strap length, if I were in your shoes..and stay away from layers. It is a lot easier dealing with hair that is all one length.

Yozhik
November 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM
If you are really frustrated, why not do a cut?
I also sympathize with the desire to make some drastic change. I thought about a chop and ffls for what seems like a year before I did it.

While I was glad that I finally reached far beyond my goal to BCL-stretched, I'm also very glad I cut it. Even with cutting 7 inches and ffls in, though, some of my friends didn't even see a difference then, so just be aware that a "drastic" LHC cut may not necessarily translate to the outside world. :silly:

Also something to consider: are you liking your blond and planning to keep it? If so, you'll still be dying the roots every two weeks, but if you want to grow it out, obviously it will be a lot faster with shorter hair. :flower:

TL;DR: If you've made due consideration and are set on it, why not just do it?

AmyBeth
November 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I cut from hip to shoulder after waiting and considering it for 6 months, and I still regretted it the moment it was done. But it was kind of fun spending the next few years experimenting with different cuts, layers, bangs, etc. It does grow back, though it seems to take forever.

vindo
November 11th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I never had the desire to chop, but trying a new hairstyle everyday certainly makes me enjoy my long hair more.

I mean the more modern, braided, tucked, pinned updos rather than LHC Buns all day every day. I usually collect ideas on Pinterest by searching "braided hairdos" etc.

swearnsue
November 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I know what you mean about being bored even though my hair is barely at BSL. And I know what you mean about matronly, I think. Having my hair up in a bun of some sort, no fringe or face layers to soften the lines, it gives me a severe look.

What I have been doing is learning some braids that give me some fullness around my face and I just tried an SMT and now I'm happy with my hair again. But for the first time in two years I considered cutting and I am soooo glad I didn't.

Some other ideas: Cassia and/or henna, parandi braids, braid when your hair is damp to get some braid waves, buy a new shampoo or conditioner and of course there are always hair toys.

LauraLongLocks
November 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Do you have bangs or fringe of some sort? Maybe all you need to feel less matronly is something to soften your look and frame your face. I absolutely LOVE my blunt cut bangs. I was worried when I first cut them that I wouldn't like them, but for the last two and a half years, I have maintained them happily. Trying new styles has made having long hair a lot of fun, too.

Crumpet
November 11th, 2013, 08:37 PM
An ex used to call my buns my 'spinster buns'. So, yes, I know what you mean about them being matronly. A few other people have suggested fun ways of altering your hair in less drastic ways. Give those a go before the total plunge...unless you're the sort who makes impulse decisions and doesn't regret them. I *know* I would regret cutting my hair so when I get bord I learn ways around it...but if you're different then have fun!

LaurelSpring
November 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have regretted every cut! I also got to TB and got that same bored sort of I want to update my look to something more stylish feeling....at least twice now! What I did was put in layers which made my hair look too thin which made me cut more.. cycle. I did it again just last month and I was finally getting close to TB again. I don't know what it is about that length. It is a real plateau for me. As I said before...regret. So now I am starting back from between bsl and waist- ish. Shorter hair is boring. Here is my new inspiration video. I wish I had watched it before the last chop. No layers in the back but just enough layers in the front to make it stylish. Check out some of her other videos. If you are like me it may help change your mind before it is too late! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMI

jeanniet
November 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I cut from past hip to just SL this past summer, although I did it over several months. I love it. If I want to put it up, I just do a quick twist with a claw clip. It's much lighter and cooler, and way curlier. I can wash it at night and it's dry the next morning. I don't regret the inability to do different styles because I never had the time to do more than a few basic styles anyway. But I've never been one to regret making changes to my hair, so it wasn't that big of a deal. If I get bored with it, then I'll grow it back out. So I think if you've been mulling this over for a while, you should go for it, just do it in increments. You won't know if you'll be happy with an in-between length if you chop it all in one go.

Lyv
November 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I'd wait a couple of weeks and if you still want it shorter just do a small cut. You can always go shorter if it isn't enough and there will be less chance of regret that way.

McFearless
November 12th, 2013, 01:36 AM
You could cut it between waist-hip, get layers and bangs. When you get bored again you can then go shorter and change your hemline. Then shorter and shorter if the urge comes back. That way you'll have many options for cuts when you desire change.

Before changing length you could try playing with colour. Manic Panic dyes, henna, indigo, etc.

XcaliburGirl
November 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I've happily chopped to APL and went back to growing several times. I've only really regretted it when I went shorter than about collarbone length. It really depends on whether you like all the lengths in between. If you want to still do buns occasionally, don't chop shorter than APL or whatever length you know you can bun your hair.

Angelicblaze
November 12th, 2013, 06:42 AM
An ex used to call my buns my 'spinster buns'.

Is this part of the reason this person is an ex?

To the OP, I become bored very easily so I can understand, though you have gone much farther than I have. The longest I've ever been was in between waist and hip. Every time I cut it I regret it. Though I get bored easily I tend to regret the new change regardless of what it is until I get used to it, if you're not the type to regret what you do then go for it.

martyna_22
November 12th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I think getting layers/changing hemline might help. I wouldn't go for a big chop, though.

Stray_mind
November 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Everytime i get a big chop i regret it, so i promised myself that i'll never cut my hair short again. I'd do small trims gradually. It'll be easier to know when to stop cutting.

PinkyCat
November 12th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :flower:

I've decided to cut to BSL. My DH helped me position my CreaClip last night - and off it went! Honestly - it felt instantly WONDERFUL!
I LOVE IT!!
The ends are SO thick - I feel like I've never seen it like this before! It's still long enough to do a bunch of buns & still use my sticks. Now Ive decided to play with semi-permanent natural colors - there's no harm in that as I transition back to black, right?

Again thanks for all the ideas and talking me out of going shorter. I'll post pics if my phone will let me!

spidermom
November 12th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'm with you! I've been feeling so dowdy with my protective buns day after day, plus no matter how carefully I care for my hair, it breaks and splits so easily. My stylist explained that it's because I have a lot of flat strands, which are weaker than round strands. Every odd twist or bend to the hair indicates a place where the cuticle has been disrupted, and that's where it will break or split. I have thousands.

Anyway I felt it would be a shock to cut shorter all at once, so last week I had my hemline changed from a shallow U at tailbone to a sharp V with layers, the shortest part at waist, longest at tailbone. It feels better already, lighter and less snarly. I'm absolutely certain that I want to have the same shape with the longest part at waist, maybe even mid back. I'm not even going to think about the styles I like to do at tailbone. I'm ready to embrace shorter, lighter hair and different styles, like wearing it down more often.

TimeForMe
November 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Good for you! I think BSL to mid back is a good compromise. You can still put it up, and it's fairly easy to either go shorter or grow longer again if you get tired of it.

Crumpet
November 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Is this part of the reason this person is an ex?

To the OP, I become bored very easily so I can understand, though you have gone much farther than I have. The longest I've ever been was in between waist and hip. Every time I cut it I regret it. Though I get bored easily I tend to regret the new change regardless of what it is until I get used to it, if you're not the type to regret what you do then go for it.

Ha! Yes, he was actually lovely but these sorts of comments and his other habits weren't a good fit for me. :crazyq:

OP: glad you love your new cut! BSL is still long and allows updos. You can always go shorter or longer quite easily from there. Congrats!

Hootenanny
November 12th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Pictures pleeeeease! :flower:

Tlb2012
November 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I have been so absolutely stone bored with my hair lately. Which is probably why I went blonde.
I reached my goal of TB over the summer and now....it seems like there's nothing to look forward to. :(
I remember being so excited as I would pass milestones - now...blah. And I'm feeling sort of...matronly?

Maybe I should start anew with a nice chop to APL to renew my excitement of the journey. I'm getting sick of chasing my roots every two weeks anyway.

What do you think? Anyone done this & loved it? Please share!

*UPDATE*
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I LOVE IT!!

Have you gone back to the black color yet? Usually after I go blonde I get tired of it quick and go really dark too!

PinkyCat
November 12th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Not yet. I just did my roots on Saturday so I'm going to wait a couple weeks until my roots show up again. Did you jump right in to the permanent dye or did you do semi or demi first?

Tlb2012
November 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Not yet. I just did my roots on Saturday so I'm going to wait a couple weeks until my roots show up again. Did you jump right in to the permanent dye or did you do semi or demi first?

I usually jump right in and use a permanent color in a warm or neutral shade since ash tones can make for a green result.

spirals
November 13th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Funny that just as I'm reading this, a relevant scene in Little Women comes up: Jo has cut her hair and sold it so that Marmee may travel to see Father, and Jo has admitted to Beth that she is crying about her hair rather than the situation.

Islandgrrl
November 13th, 2013, 03:21 AM
I might be in e minority here, but I think your hair should make you happy, and that you shouldn't feel like you are a slave to your hair. If you think that cutting it will make you happy, then go for it. It's hair. It grows. I've personally gone from knee to nearly bald and there were things to love at both lengths. The only reason I regretted my big chop at all was the growing out process and all the awkward stages between nearly bald and, say, BSL. I actually loved having short hair. I just love having long hair more.

TimeForMe
November 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I think your hair should make you happy, and that you shouldn't feel like you are a slave to your hair

This. In a perfect world, I'd be able to have my hair shorter or longer at will, because there are nice things about both. The only thing that gives me pause about cuts is that "shorter" is quick, "longer" takes forever.

Long_hair_bear
November 13th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Every time I have cut my hair, I regretted it. No more cuts for me (trims yes, cuts no!)! However, I'm with the other posters: Do what makes YOU happy! Don't be a slave to your hair!