PDA

View Full Version : Hair change in your 30s?

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I just recently cut a little over a foot of hair off. I had been growing it out for a couple of years and my hair is generally pretty healthy, grows fairly fast, and puts up with whatever I care to do with it. I have, however, managed to freak myself out a couple of times thinking about my age. I'm concerned now that I'm in my 30s (31) my hair growth might slow down, or the resiliency of my hair may diminish. Did anyone here ever notice a change in their hair at this age? If not, have you noticed a change at any age? I'm determined never to have my hair this short again, but I'm a little sad to think that it might not grow to my desired length as fast as it has in the past.

Tail Feathers
November 11th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I certainly have not noticed any negative changes...
my hair actually has improved, a lot !

maybe after menopause some women lose a little thickness ?? not sure,
my mom did not...

i think the more aware you are of what keeps it healthy, and the better you
treat it, the less likely you are to have nasty surprises . . .

gonzobird
November 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I've thought about this as well. I'm 34 and besides a few sprinkled shiny hairs, my hair is the same if not better than 10 years ago. ( not coloring ior using heat anymore.) Here's a theory. Life happens, stress, poor diets, lack of sleep and excersise(not to mention heat, coloring).... all probably starts to creep and catch up with you in your late 20s/30's; then your hair shows those things.... slow growth, lack of shine, breakage.

I drink boatloads of filtered water, eat obnoxious amounts of organic greens, yoga, take food grade vitamins.... I could go on and on. I feel and look like I'm 20. Good genes yes.... but the key is really taking care of yourself. ( and be happy; )

Vrindi
November 11th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm 32. In the last year, I've done my first chin-up and climbed 5.11 routes. I also ran my first 5 miles without stopping ever, and I reached TB length with healthy hair. Age is much less about the number and so, SO much more about how well you take care of yourself. If your overall health is excellent, then your hair and skin will be also. Eat really well, lots of fruits and veggies and avoid over-processed stuff as much as possible, and drink tons of water. My hair is healthier than ever, and if you were to tell my 15-year-old self that I'd ever have flawless, baby-butt skin, I wouldn't have believed you. But I do now!

LauraLongLocks
November 11th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm going to be 37 next month, and my hair is better than ever. I have always paid close attention to what I put in my body, and began exercising at age 32. This is the PRIME of my life!

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I'm only 25 but I have noticed that my hair isn't as thick as it used to be. The pictures below are from when I was 19, now its quite thin in comparison

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7b3cc7f4.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps82da6e57.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/Jennielee_88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps98f9004d.jpg

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 12:44 PM
wow they are some big pictures. sorry I tried to edit my post and resize them but it wont let me!

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
These responses are making me feel a little better. I brought this up to my mother over the phone and I swear I could *hear* her eyes rolling over the phone. I thought it was a valid concern.

jacqueline101
November 11th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I have noticed some hair changes it seems to thin a little but not a lot. I seem to notice my hair thinning but no one else does. I've been able to work on my person as far as decluttering goes, walking daily, and keeping on my diet.

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
My hair doesn't seem any thinner at 24 than it was in my teens. Similarly, my mother's hair got thicker and curlier as she got older. Now that she's in her 50s, her hair is legit wavy/curly, but when she was in her early 30s, it was more straight/wavy. I think having kids can also change it.

Eden Iris
November 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I had some thinning in my late 20s, but in retrospect it was probably due to stress. My hair at 45 is actually in better shape than it was in my 30s because of 1) regular henna use; 2) finally grown out my post-partum sheds; and 3) I'm getting some coarser hairs in among the superfines -- some of them are silver, but some are just a different texture. You just never know what you'll get. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy worrying about it.

Madora
November 11th, 2013, 02:14 PM
My hair was always extremely thick until about 12 years ago. Then I started losing thickness due to a combination of anemia and auto immune issues. Age probably factored in also but I still have a fairly thick head of hair..and it is still growing..some strands at knee, much to my amazement.

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I had some thinning in my late 20s, but in retrospect it was probably due to stress. My hair at 45 is actually in better shape than it was in my 30s because of 1) regular henna use; 2) finally grown out my post-partum sheds; and 3) I'm getting some coarser hairs in among the superfines -- some of them are silver, but some are just a different texture. You just never know what you'll get. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy worrying about it.

Interesting. How did henna put your hair in better shape? I heard it was drying!

Eden Iris
November 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
goldcopperbrown, good quality henna has never dried my hair out. It can feel a bit dry for the first few days, but I leave it alone and it recovers after the first wash. It has improved my hair by making each strand thicker and stronger, so I get less breakage. Henna also made my scalp less flaky and, possibly by weighing down my hair a bit, has reduced my frizz factor in a big way. It's probably the single best thing I've ever done for my hair.

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Is the color permanent? I've heard several people talking about it, but I don't know if I want to permanently change the color of my hair.

Eden Iris
November 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
There are a few threads in the herbal care section about successfully removing henna, so check those out if you're interested, but I would advise that if you are leery of a permanent color change, it's probably not for you.

Aaand we are so off topic. Sorry!

goldcopperbrown
November 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
goldcopperbrown, good quality henna has never dried my hair out. It can feel a bit dry for the first few days, but I leave it alone and it recovers after the first wash. It has improved my hair by making each strand thicker and stronger, so I get less breakage. Henna also made my scalp less flaky and, possibly by weighing down my hair a bit, has reduced my frizz factor in a big way. It's probably the single best thing I've ever done for my hair.

Interesting! Which henna did you get? I heard that you can't use henna on hair that has already been dyed with conventional dye- is that true?

Eden Iris
November 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Interesting! Which henna did you get? I heard that you can't use henna on hair that has already been dyed with conventional dye- is that true?

This (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56615) is a fantastic intro to henna. You can use it over dye; details are in the article. I buy mine online from Henna Sooq (http://www.hennasooq.com/).

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I'm 56 and I have no hair issues.
I don't think you need to worry--you are probably just noticing your hair more now that you are on LHC. Your hair can change with pregnancy (thicker during, shedding afterwards back to normal is what usually happens); your hair color can change (blondes usually keep getting darker, though not always); but you don't need to worry about hair thinning and that kind of thing usually until menopause (unless you have a really lousy diet, or get sick) and I once heard that 50% of women thin at menopause--which means 50% do not.
Anyway, worrying isn't going to change anything. Keep being on LHC and you will keep having great hair.