PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles from Thor: The Dark World

Eliska
November 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
So I went to see the new Thor movie over the weekend, and kept getting distracted by the GORGEOUS braids in the dark elves' hair.

This is the best picture I've been able to find of Malekith's hair, but throughout the film I noticed that it seemed like each dark elf had a different braid pattern...which is AWESOME.

The tail of the braid, which you can't see in this (ridiculously oversized, sorry) image, looked like a basic fishtail to me in the film.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2880/p12718320405.jpg

Gingi
November 11th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Saw this show, loved it! And I kept checking out the braids too, lol! I think my favorite was the big dude that ended up being Kursed by Malekith. Beautiful!

WinterTree
November 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I saw Thor this weekend too and had the same thoughts about the braids. The one looked like a fish tail but I thought it had an additional edge on both sides lining the basic fishtail. Like a fishtail inside a fishtail. Not quite sure how to describe it. But it looked awesome!!

Ahl
November 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
There are some reasonable shots of Malekith's hair at http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/73534080.html

hypersensitive
November 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
It's like fishtails are a hallmark of elves or something, no matter what world they're from (Marvel, LOTR)

redtuss
November 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
<------ Major nerdcake/Marvel enthusiast.

Malekith's braid was two fishtails put together! :) It was very dense as you could see, this due to it being two braids with, I suppose, pins that held them together.

To no-one's surprise I was also amazed with the dark elves' beautiful hair! I brought the subject up with my fellow movie-goers as well (but it didn't quite hit home; saw it with bald, nerdy guys)..

It really got me thinking; the dark elves are supposed to be so darn evil and tough yeah? But they must have been either packed in front of a mirror, busy with getting their hair straight and flawless or braiding each others hair somewhere along the road!!!
Like before battle, instead of bellowing, drinking and slamming their shields, they focus on making each other looking fierce, baby! - "like I'm gonna knock 'em dead with my intricate braidstyles, here, I learned this one from Otto, turn around and let me practice it on you so it will be peeeeeerfect for the next fight!"

I. LOVE. IT.

It just raises so many questions! Like, they really skilled braiders - are they treasured? Do they get a raise? Do they take turns to be on hair-duty? Who does Malekith's hair - is there a "First Braider"? Or was it in Algrim the Strong's job title, is that why they are so close?

In one scene, Malekith has what looks like a 5-strand-braid instead of the fishtails (at least it looked like that to me, when they were in Asgard, I could be wrong though); did he braid his hair on his way there? Did he get bored when flying these great distances in his v-ship?
Was the decision to go back to the fishtails based on superstition - he did get his ass whooped; did he blame the new style?

Hehehehe, sorry, I can't help myself. I love this movie. I love all the hair and the beards and yummy men - and it didn't hurt that the story was AWESOME as well! I particulary love Loki/Tom Hiddleston, he did an amazing performance, Loki is an interesting character and Tom is a very attractive bloke on top of that.. Eccleston rocked as Malekith as well; fancy seeing Nine trying to destroy the Universe instead of saving it!! ;)

Gingi
November 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
LOL!! LOVEEEDDD your post redtuss! :-).
I'm also a member of Loki's Army....I think he's hotter than Thor! Brains over brawn!

mariakatija
November 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I saw it too! And I was fangirling over all the characters' hair!

vanillabones
November 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I went and saw this yesterday and I too was distracted by looking at all the hair in all the characters xD lots of long hair and the Dark Elf braids are gorgeous. I enjoy the shoulder lengths on Thor and Loki as well :eyebrows:

redtuss
November 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
LOL!! LOVEEEDDD your post redtuss! :-).
I'm also a member of Loki's Army....I think he's hotter than Thor! Brains over brawn!

I agree so hard, Thor may be a great-looking guy but he does not have the "oomph" Loki has! ;) That guy has me swooning!

I went and saw this yesterday and I too was distracted by looking at all the hair in all the characters xD lots of long hair and the Dark Elf braids are gorgeous. I enjoy the shoulder lengths on Thor and Loki as well :eyebrows:

Yeah, it suited them very well, it was nice to see some length on the guys as well! :) Of course, I went completely ballistic when I first saw Loki's prison-hair in the trailer - I was soooo excited it was almost embarrassing!

I've been waiting for this movie a long time.. Now I've got my heart set on Winter Soldier (2014 I think it's due) and Avengers 2 for 2015. There must be a Thor 3 (or do I mean a Loki 4?) and I so hope for a Loki-film as well. He deserves it, and his fangirls does as well..

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I was prepped to go in fan-girling all over Chris Eccleston anyway. I think this may be the first time I've ever geeked out about his hair.

redtuss
November 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM
This is the best picture I've been able to find of Malekith's hair, but throughout the film I noticed that it seemed like each dark elf had a different braid pattern...which is AWESOME.

About this!

Maybe it is a way of differentiating what "rank" they are? Like infantry has one sorts of braid, the gunners have another? I mostly noticed the two-braids-turning-into-three-loose-fishtails but there must have been more - OP got the impression each elf had an unique one so there must have been more :) Sadly, I can't remember if Algrim had the same style as Malekith or not..

Oh, one of the guys I saw it with had the suggestion that maybe the machines they were hybernating in created the braids, of course I thought my idea was a lot more fun but I see his point.

If you recall the scene where the Aether awakens Malekith and his crew there were rows and floors of hybernating elves. It reminded me about the Borg Cube in the Star Trek-universe; in that ship every Borg has a "docking station" where it rests and recharges before returning to duty and duty is to serve "the Hive". The elves are depicted as quite uniformous, they have their masks and are quite de-personalised, I feel like they have adapted the "Hive-mind"-idea into it.
Every elf was in their own station and maybe if the braids were created in those the purpose could have been to not only keep the hair out of the way in battle (they are soldiers, can't keep getting hair in your face!) but also to serve as a signal to what role they played/who they are?

As a note to this similarity - did you guys also notice that one of the norns/healers (Eir) was played by the same actress who played the Borg Queen in "Star Trek First Contact"? Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. ;)

Edit: Big 'ol geek over here..!!

ashke50
December 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM
redtuss, your post about the elves braiding their hair before battle was fantastic, I loved it! Similar questions about the dwarves in the Hobbit of course...

Kaelee
December 1st, 2013, 04:25 PM
OK, so...I really want to know why his hair is wrapped with cling film. :bigeyes:

Kaya
December 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
OK, so...I really want to know why his hair is wrapped with cling film. :bigeyes:

I'm going to venture a guess that it's for the purpose of protection? I've seen quite a few vlogs and set photos from the Hobbit movies where the Elves are walking around with what looks like pantyhose/nylons on their lengths. I'd suspect it's to keep their fair elven, stick-straight hair smooth and tangle-free. Probably cuts down on the amount of work required from the hairstylists. Spirits forbid the Elves have less than perfect hair!! :lol: So perhaps Malekith has a similar hair situation where they wanted to prevent as much frizzing and general unruliness as possible.

BTW, loved this movie! And the hair! You know you're a long-hair when you go see a movie for the first time and immediately zero in on the characters with the most interesting hair styles! Though to be honest, I go see these Thor/Avengers movies purely for Loki! :inlove:

redtuss
December 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
I think that braiding and prepping each other before battle would be a good strategy to build the team spirit and boost morale.. ;)

Kaya - I am so with you on the last part. Soooooo with you.
(can't wait for the DVD to get released. 3 times at the movies is what I can afford, now I have to wait so I can see it at home..)

Hiddleston does an outstanding performance.

Kaya
December 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
I think that braiding and prepping each other before battle would be a good strategy to build the team spirit and boost morale.. ;)

Kaya - I am so with you on the last part. Soooooo with you.
(can't wait for the DVD to get released. 3 times at the movies is what I can afford, now I have to wait so I can see it at home..)

Hiddleston does an outstanding performance.

Me neither! :) I can't wait for it to come out, though I'll go for the Blu-ray, just so I can keep the whole collection in line. Sadly, I've only seen it once. (Have to save my monies for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug!) But I will be all over watching it repeatedly once I own it.

Tom Hiddleston is simply phenomenal as Loki. Seriously, the best 'villain' portrayal I've seen. He gives such character depth, it's heart-wrenching. To say nothing of his very dapper good looks! :gabigrin: