PDA

View Full Version : Hair Goal-Yes or no?

Glaceon588
November 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a pretty new member here on LHC,but I have been reading the forums for a couple of months,and I love everything about it,including all of you AMAZING LHC-ers! :D

So,I wanted to ask all of your opinions on my hair goal;I'm aiming for classic and I'm currently about 2-3 inches past waist.This is a bit of a dilemma for me,and here's why (I'll repeat some of my info from the couple of posts I've written before)----> I'm fifteen,I live in India (where it is QUITE hot and humid :p),and I'm extremely petite at 4'10". I also happen to be extremely thin at (are you prepared for this?) 67 pounds,though I am not anorexic or anything of the sort :) Now,I know I should grow for myself and what makes me feel beautiful,but I'd like a second opinion.Some questions:

1.Would hair that long 'swamp' me/make me shorter?
2.Would hair any longer than what I have now look bad?
3.Do you think it would be too much too handle with the climate I'm in?

I'm sorry I can't post any pics,since I would prefer to get some parental permission first,but I'll definitely try to help if any of you have questions! :D Thanks so much,and sorry for the REALLY long post!

Madora
November 11th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Welcome to LHC, Glaceon588.

#1 I don't mean to be disrespectful, but since you are extremely petite very long hair might draw attention to your petite size. HOWEVER, I see nothing wrong in growing your hair longer if that's what YOU want. Go for it!

#2 The only way hair any longer would look bad was if it was in bad condition (splits everywhere, raggedly looking).

#3 You'd really need to learn how to keep your hair up in that type of climate. This means learning a variety of braids or buns..any protective style to keep your hair off your neck. The more styles you learn, the less the temptation to cut because you're bored with your hair.

You'll probably have to wash it more frequently and I don't know if this is something you would want to do.

Also, you'd have to deal with it at night...in that hot, humid situation....something that would give me pause since I hate heat and humidity.

Bottom line: do what is comfortable for you!

DweamGoiL
November 11th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I second Madora's opinion. If at any time while you are growing it, you feel that it's too much work or cumbersome because of the heat, simply cut it back to where it is now. You seem comfortable with this length so if it works, stick with it! I do feel that if you are curious about classic length, you should at least try it, and if it's not for you, then you can always scale back a bit.

Johannah
November 11th, 2013, 08:48 AM
One way to find out! :o

If it's healthy, it'll look great!

Nothing is impossible. You just need to find out what works and what doesn't and guess what, LHC is the best place to learn all of that!

prettyinpink
November 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Grow it out! I dont think it would make you look shorter. Besides, being petite is a good thing.

Glaceon588
November 11th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Welcome to LHC, Glaceon588.

#1 I don't mean to be disrespectful, but since you are extremely petite very long hair might draw attention to your petite size. HOWEVER, I see nothing wrong in growing your hair longer if that's what YOU want. Go for it!

#2 The only way hair any longer would look bad was if it was in bad condition (splits everywhere, raggedly looking).

#3 You'd really need to learn how to keep your hair up in that type of climate. This means learning a variety of braids or buns..any protective style to keep your hair off your neck. The more styles you learn, the less the temptation to cut because you're bored with your hair.

You'll probably have to wash it more frequently and I don't know if this is something you would want to do.

Also, you'd have to deal with it at night...in that hot, humid situation....something that would give me pause since I hate heat and humidity.

Bottom line: do what is comfortable for you!

Thank you Madora! You definitely weren't disrespectful to me :) I neglected to mention that my hair is in very good condition right now,and I do clip or tie my hair up pretty much all the time unless it's drying.I do hope to learn some of the gorgeous updos I've seen in the forums,but its going to take some effort! :D Thanks for the advice!

I second Madora's opinion. If at any time while you are growing it, you feel that it's too much work or cumbersome because of the heat, simply cut it back to where it is now. You seem comfortable with this length so if it works, stick with it! I do feel that if you are curious about classic length, you should at least try it, and if it's not for you, then you can always scale back a bit.

I haven't found it to be too much work....yet ;D This length is pretty comfortable,but I want to experiment with even longer since,as you stated,I can always cut back! Thanks for your help :)

One way to find out! :o

If it's healthy, it'll look great!

Nothing is impossible. You just need to find out what works and what doesn't and guess what, LHC is the best place to learn all of that!

Awesome answers! There really is only one way to find out,isn't there? ;D Can't wait to hit that Classic! Thank you!

Grow it out! I dont think it would make you look shorter. Besides, being petite is a good thing.

Thanks so much! I guess there really are some good things about being petite,now that I think about it! :p

NuclearApple
November 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
here i am another short :) 5 feet!
I'm growing classic too and currently at bcl+,who said very long hair don't suit short people?I receive a lot of compliments when mine is down!I'm sure you will too,indian girls have beautiful thick hair.
about the climate...summer in my country is pretty humid too and i wear it up to keep it clean and out of the way,as madora said the more styles you learn the more you enjoy your hair!
i hope i've helped too :)

Madora
November 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Glaceon588, here's a video by Torrin Paige on You Tube. Her channel has loads of wonderful hairstyles you can try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvWpHufrANk

Another neat video is by Lillith Moon...the two strand rope crown braid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Happy experimenting...and for the sake of your tresses, always detangle gently with a wide tooth comb before you start!

ravenheather
November 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I agree grow it as long as it makes you happy. When and if it becomes a burden then trim.

Tail Feathers
November 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM
i think very long hair on a petite frame is beautiful right out of fairy tales !

if it is any help . . . i passed most of this past summer in the middle east
(with 45° Celcius +++ heat) and well, my hair has never been healthier.

only protect it as it grows, updos and oil...but.... India is full of know-how...
with some of the Most Beautiful Women and the Most Beautiful Manes in the
whole wide world coming from there....

i imagine you will be beautiful

i say, at least try it !
:blossom:

Of the Fae
November 11th, 2013, 09:50 AM
What Tail Feathers says!

Depends on the condition. As you've stated it is in good condition, I'd say try it and see how much length you feel is right for you :)

Many buns and braidstyles can help prevent this, although it does feel warm. As you already have waist length hair I think it 'won't matter that much

I'm also very petite, and although I think long hair looks amazing on bigger woman, it is also very beautiful if you are small. It will fall around your body so it looks different on everyone :)

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I'm just under five foot tall and until just recently had hair down past my waist. I loved it, but it was a lot of hair to carry around. I would say as long as you love your hair and are happy with it, keep it at whatever length you like. Right now my hair is just below shoulders and people tell me it looks great, but I dislike this length and can't wait until it get closer to BSL ("Bra-Strap by Summer" is my current motto).

torrilin
November 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
To my mind, long hair is a choice. If you decide you'd rather go shorter, a cut is pretty easy. And really, it *will* grow back. It may not be as fast as you might like, but with good habits, it's not a huge deal. And since good habits involve a lot of not doing stuff rather than doing special stuff, good habits aren't all that hard.

Most of the time, other people won't really see your updo or braid as "long" hair. It won't swamp your frame or hide your face unless you choose to wear hair styles that don't really suit you. And well, we all have cringe worthy hair mistakes in our past, but mercifully it's fairly hard to achieve terrifyingly trendy hair when your hair is long. Also, most updos are pretty easy. So learning to do one or two that are comfortable for daily wear and that look nice is not hard. Hard comes if you want to have lots of variety in your day to day look and you want the variety to be noticeable even if the people around you aren't all that long hair attuned.

Jennielee88
November 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I don't think it would drown you unless it was very thick... in which case you can always go for a style that thins it out a little whilst keeping the length

Sharysa
November 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Yay, another short Asian! (Although I'm more Pacific Islander since I'm Filipino-American. :D)

I'm five feet tall and 100 pounds. Right now I'm almost at my basic goal (waist-length), but if I want to grow longer, I have a maximum goal of classic-length as well. So far my hair is very thick and wavy, but the only person who has a problem with my long hair is my mother. She said it makes me look like an old woman. *sigh*

I found out that it's not necessarily the length that overwhelms or swamps smaller people--it's really severe or blunt cuts, especially with thick and dark hair like a lot of Asians have.

Having layers or a U/V-shape to the end of your hair will take a lot of weight off it, both visually and physically. Since I'm lazy, I personally let my hair just grow out naturally into fairy-tale ends, so it's not blunt but it's not layered either. It definitely helps avoid overwhelming my frame.

AmyBeth
November 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I have seen classic length hair on "little people" and I think it looks just as beautiful on them as on those of us who are "regular" size. I think you have an advantage with your height because you will get to classic sooner than if you were 6 feet tall. And if you don't like it, you can cut it off again. Be happy with your choice.:blossom:

vindo
November 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM

NOOO. I never understood that logic...its bull imo :o You are the height that you are, I don't see how hair should give that much of an illusion. And who cares really? Being short is not a bad thing :)
Same with weight, long hair looks good no matter if thin, heavy or in between.

Yes, I am actually on LHC to loathe the very long hair here, which I secretly hate and wish everyone would go for a big trim....:p just kidding of course.
We love long hair here, so while others may dislike it because it is not their taste, everyone here will encourage you.

If you really want long hair you will not mind the handling either ;-). It won't be insanely difficult I'm sure.

Classic length is great. I personally like it very much in every way. It looks very nice and flowy, it was not very hard to take care of at all in my opinion, you can create many beautiful updos that work best with very long hair.

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Petite women are delicate and lovely. I don't think your hair would drown you or make you look 'more' petite (not that that would be a bad thing).
Go ahead and grow your hair and don't over think it. If you don't like, you can always cut it off. But i bet it will be beautiful.
I'm 5 ft 3 which is not as short as you (and I'm certainly not as thin) but I intend to grow my hair as long as I can.
My grandmother was a superpetite and she had very long AND very thick hair and it looked just great.

Glaceon588
November 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Can I just say THANK YOU!!! I never expected to get so many responses :o I'd love to thank everyone individually,but I can't right now,so thanks to everyone! It's great knowing there are other 'fun sized' people like me with gorgeous long locks :) If anyone here has seen/heard of the anime Toradora,I'm aiming for hair like Taiga's (the main protagonist) except in black instead of blond :p With support like this,I definitely think I can make it! Thanks again to everyone! (I think I just realized how extremely thanking/thankful I am haha :p)

Agnes Hannah
November 12th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Hello another petite here, I am 4'10 and 114lbs about 8stone 2. My hair is almost BSL, and I'm 47 so have grey roots and all the issues with fine hair typing etc. My goal is waist, but tailbone would be good. I want long hair always have, so regardless to age, height, fineness issues etc, I am going to go for it. I think you sound lovely, and whatever you decide, it is your decision and must come from you. I hope you decide to keep your hair long, but that is my opinion. Height doesn't matter. Good luck and enjoy your petiteness and hair