PDA

View Full Version : Funny stuff that happen to you?

Bun15
November 10th, 2013, 11:25 PM
So, ironically I have the opposite "problem" of what I've seen people here have.
The family wants me to grow my hair out as long as I can.
See, I have an old fashioned, religious, hispanic/latino family (triple fatality haha) So of course short hair on a girl is a big fat nono. I cut my hair in a short Rihanna type of cut a year in a half ago. Since then, I let my hair my grow out (much to the relief of the family) and now whenever I even mention the idea of chopping my hair off... well, let's just say it's not taken with a warm welcome.
Recently, I've been musing on getting a huge chop to get rid of layers to have my hair all one length (which my mother approves of). However, I told my mother this and she vehemently disregards anything to do with get my hair cut off because "it will be too short" (lol) and I already have it at a old-fashioned-traditional-female-role approved length.
So instead, my wonderful mother proposed that we cut each layer as it grows out and eventually get the hair all one length. TBH, I'm not a fan of this method as it takes forever and my hair grows slow enough as it is. But my mother insisted as she (and my father) like seeing me with long hair, she even offered to be the one to cut my layers off and trim my hemline.
So I took her offer, and here I am now with three layers left to go, rounded hemline and smiling at the perks of belonging to an old school type family :cool:
Tell me your experiences?

Of the Fae
November 11th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Haha, me it's the opposite! But for different reasons.
My mother encouraged me to cut it because my hair was difficult to maintain (very tangle prone!). I always wanted pretty long hair.
How do you feel about being so encouraged to have it long? Do you really want short hair, secretly? Or are you very happy to have your hair long?

DweamGoiL
November 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't call this story funny, but it is in line with the topic :)

When I was a child, I had long hair down to my butt. My grandmother, who was also Latin, religious, and very much old school, the woman was born in 1898...hello! She was the one that encouraged my hair to grow and took care of it until I was about 8 years old. I really don't recall too much about it except running away every time it was detangling time...ouch! My mom, on the other hand always wanted to rebel and had a pixie forever. Well, technically that's not true. She had a beehive from the late 60's into the 70's and then the pixie, but you get the gist. Once my grandmother was incapacitated, my mom took me out and had my hair cut into a pixie before the first day of school. I got so sick about being asked if I was a boy and frankly, because the change was so drastic, I did feel quite traumatized.

As an adult, my oldest daughter had hair very different than mine and I didn't know how to care for it so I always kept it fairly short (about bob length). Once she hit adulthood and after so much misinformation about her hair and bad relaxers, etc., and as an adult, as I also was growing out my own hair, I encouraged her to go natural. At first, she could not bear the though of not having chemical relaxers in her hair, but here we are about 6 years later, and she is all natural and her hair is healthy and shiny. Now, she has chosen to keep it fairly short because she feels it's hard for her to care for it if it gets too long.

With my youngest daughter, she is 9 now. She has the cutest curl/wave to her hair. Right now, her hair is about mid-back length, but when you stretch it out it's about hip length. I care for her hair naturally and I have never let anyone do anything to it besides blow dry it every once in a while. I have been CO washing it for her for years and her hair is mostly kept in a braid until she learns to care for it herself. She's had it blown out maybe 3 times ever and it's usually when she goes to her father's family's house. They cannot fathom not chemically processing your hair and why would anyone want to have it wild and curly? *gasp* Besides all the negative energy from that side of her family, I am proud to say I have taught her to love her hair. I oil it for her, and treat it well. We do moisture treatments together on lazy weekends. If she ever asks me to cut it short, I will allow her to do it because it's her hair, but I want her to feel empowered to make her own decisions about something so personal and I want her to learn that it's OK to be her own person.

Angelicblaze
November 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hi, are you meaning share our experiences with our family? Or funny long hair stories? I don't really have a funny story so I'll share my family history.

My family members all love long hair basically, my mom wears a pixie but likes long hair if it is taken care of and used to have it down to her hips when I was young. One time when I was a kid and my hair was to my waist she called me into the room to see crystal gayle on tv I was mesmerized by how long and pretty it was. My dad and brothers like long hair, the longer the better. My one brother will shake his head when he notices one of his female family members chopped their hair and always wants my mom to grow hers out. My mom has a pixie and prefers it now, though she used to have long hippie hair and very long permed hair when I was growing up. My sister would be the best one of all of us to grow her hair long, it's very thick and straight so it looks great long she had it to about waist last year then cut it to a bob which she prefers now. So I'll be the last one in my immediate family to grow long hair. My daughter is carrying on the long hair desire, she has hair to her mid-back she is 7 and her hair is red with beautiful type 2b/2c waves.

ETA: I wanted to add that the same brother that shakes his head disapprovingly when someone chops when he was a toddler used to always fall asleep to wrapping his fingers around a clump of my moms hip length hair. When my mom was working and it was time for my brother's nap my sister who had waist length hair would go in and lean her head over the crib so he could wrap his fingers in her hair then she would wait there until he fell asleep lol. This was over 20 years ago, but it's a funny memory. So he has had a love for long hair from the beginning.

Bun15
November 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Haha, me it's the opposite! But for different reasons.
My mother encouraged me to cut it because my hair was difficult to maintain (very tangle prone!). I always wanted pretty long hair.
How do you feel about being so encouraged to have it long? Do you really want short hair, secretly? Or are you very happy to have your hair long?
I used to want it short. But I've always wanted really long hair, so I feel kinda lucky that I'm encouraged to not cut my hair off and keep it healthy. Though sometimes I can't help but roll my eyes when they go on about how a woman should be feminine, blah blah blah (which I don't disagree with to be honest, but sometime it just seems ridiculous)

Of the Fae
November 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Ah I can imagine :) Personally I think a women should do whatever she wants with her hair, feminine or not. Free choice. But it's nice to get encouragement to keep it growing, it may prevent you from cutting out of frustration when it takes too long to brush for example (which is what I did, and I still regret it!).
When I was young I sucked at keeping my hair tidy, so detangling was very painful! In the end I wore it short for most of my life, but in the end I wish I had just learned to do more updo's and braids.