PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think..

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM
"I'll wear my hair down today!" :cool:

"It's so pretty.." :happydance:

and then after an hour or so you think "Or maybe a protective updo would be better, don't want to damage it..." :rolleyes:

Pretty much wear my hair down twice a month maybe, for maybe 2 hours max before I start to worry and put it up.

Is this the common behavior of an LHCer?

The total irony is now that I'm looking after it it's the best it's ever looked down. :p

But alas, it's a oiled bun life for me. :o

Sillage
November 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
LOL when I first started growing my hair I was all about wearing it long-- now I prefer it up! I've gotten into updos big time and have spent a lot of money on hair toys and bun decorations. If I could have my hair styled in a maru mage everyday I would do it. I don't even like to wear my hair down any more except for sleeping.

DweamGoiL
November 10th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I guess I am the opposite. I grew my hair to TBL about 10 years ago. Then, I used to wear it up all the time and only wore it down on special occasions. Now, I want to enjoy my hair as much as possible. The first time I cut it was because it became a lot of work for me and I had an infant who was my priority, not the hair. I like to wear my hair down mostly now. I wear it in an updo when it's near wash time, and I routinely do shield it from the elements, but other than that, it's down my back where it makes me happy.

Valkyriejae
November 10th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I used to wear my hair down all the time - either loose or in a plain ol' ponytail if I needed it out of the way. Then I got to hip and noticed my ends were horrible, so I'm swapping over to having it up pretty much 24/7. I find it's much less of hassle now - when it's up it doesn't get damaged, doesn't get tangled, doesn't get in the way all the time, and doesn't attract unwanted attention (like people trying to convince me to cut or donate it.) Also, I'm learning all sorts of fun updos which give me a lot more variety than long&loose.
If I had a formal event to wear it down for I would because it is super nice loose, but I really don't go out to fancy things and I can't think of any other time I would want to not have it up...

Crumpet
November 10th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I feel guilty when my hair is down for a few hours (only a few hours in the past 4 months or more when I haven't been drying it). I think I'll slowly chill out about it. I do like it down. I think I look prettier that way and I love the way it looks and feels. But for now I'm trying to protect it and I love buns for work/running errands/general stuff.

ShieldMayden
November 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Depends on where I am that day. If I'm at home all day I don't wind wearing it down as sometimes I find it tiring to always have it up. But if I'm outdoors and it's windy or the like I'll feel guilty as it'll get tangled and damaged.

VJG
November 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Usually, I think "I'm going to protect my hair today!" and a little while later get sick of having it up and let it down (or, it starts to fall down because I'm hopeless). :oops: My hair basically stays down or single braided most all of the time so I just hope for the best.

Dianadarlene
November 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I am fairly new to using protective styles, I used to wear my hair down every. Single. Day. I still dispise ponytails, but since being a creeper on lhc for awhile, and envying all the beautiful longhairs, I figured updos are probably going to be my only chance at achieving the long hair I have always wanted.. I have found lots of cute bun inspiration.. but I still have a hard time not letting my hair down all the time like it's used to.. it takes lots of willpower! And I'm sure when it's nice and long, and I want to show it off, it will be even harder!

neko_kawaii
November 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
A slightly different version:

"It's so pretty.."
"I'll wear my hair down today!"

and then after an hour or so I think "Dang it, it is forming mats already. Up with you, I don't want to spend half an hour detangling."

0xalis
November 11th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I started growing my hair so it'd look good down... now I get paranoid wearing it down even if I'm just at home. Ironically my hair is down right now :o

Andeee
November 11th, 2013, 12:28 AM
My job is way too hectic to wear my hair down and I just look too hippie-ish if I do. I only wear it down when going to a party or if I have a gig. I usually do a side ponytail, I think it looks fancier than a normal ponytail.

Flor
November 11th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Nope, the opposite here. If I'm having a good hair day and going out, I'll wear it down. If it's getting too greasy and I need it out of the way, then I'll put it up.

Mine's at this funny length now though, where it gets everywhere. So if I'm walking outside, I twist it and pull it over the shoulder that doesn't have handbag strap on it. Sometimes tuck it into a scarf. I still enjoy it being loose though!

DragonFlyPie
November 11th, 2013, 12:40 AM
My hair is tailbone length now & I wear it down constantly. I sleep with it loose as well. I take advantage of every opportunity to have my hair loose. :)

I only keep it in a bun for work (laboratory) or if i'm doing a lot of cleaning, etc around the house and it's starting to get in my way. I've never noticed any ill effects from it at all. I barely have splits. On close inspection my hair looks healthy & super shiny, and feels soft & silky.

I do have super puffy hair in my pics, which probably makes it look awful to some. But I'm one of those with really wavy hair that just goes poof & won't look sleek or shiny from a distance, unless I manipulate it (like finger combing) till it's straight.

spirals
November 11th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I don't really wear mine up to protect it so much as to keep it out of the way. When I do wear it down I don't think about it until I have to detangle it that night. If I do put it up on a down day, it's because it's getting in the way or I'm overheated, not for fear of damage.

askan
November 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM
For some reason I always get asked: "Did you cut your hair?" when I wear it down. NOOO I didn't, what do you mean, it's short?? I didn't cut it because I wanted to anyway. Shut up. :P

I should keep it up everyday for a year and then BAM, let it down so it'll be obvious I didn't make a big chop (which I didn't!! But I had longer hair a few years ago and I don't know if that's what people remember).

jacqueline101
November 11th, 2013, 05:14 AM
In my pre lhc days I wore it down my hair was bsl to mbl and it was always in the way. I've found wearing it up was the best. There are times when I wear it down to see if it's gained length and to admire it. I do miss the feel of it on my back at times.

Nae
November 11th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Lol, I am convinced that my hair looks better to me if I am groggy in the morning. I will wake up, look in the mirror and decide it is looking pretty good only to reassess after my coffee and decide to grab a hairstick and put it up because it looks bad.

shutterpillar
November 11th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Normally what happens is that I will decide to wear it down and then it will get in my way when I am loading the dishwasher, get caught under my purse strap, stuck in a seat belt, tangled in the wind, or come dangerously close to the burners on the stove. Sure all those cause damage which is a reason to wear it up, but mostly I end up putting it in a bun or braid because of the annoyance factor!

It seems like the only time I wear it down lately is for special occasions (date nights, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) or while it is drying.

höpönasu
November 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
I usually wear my hair down for the day I washed it IF it feels good. Sometimes it seems to be still a bit oily - or heavily oiled! - so I won't wear it down. I can't wait until I'm at waist, I was at tail bone when I was 5 year old~ish. Can't remember how it feels to have a long hair! I'm going to wear it down more than now, I just don't like my length now. Feels so short. Stupid length!

Cheyne
November 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
True confession time here...I don't like wearing my hair down. My hair is very heavy and feels like I'm wearing a fur pelt on my back. It makes me feel very warm, so I wear it up even on my days off. The colder weather in fall/winter will allow me to wear it down if DH and I are going out, otherwise it's up and out of the way. I estimate I wear my hair down 6 times a year out of the house-heck it's even up in the house unless it's drying after a wash. :rolleyes:

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Being super thick mine gets in my way even when its short. So I've always had it pulled back or up except for special occasions.
I love having it long enough so that it looks pretty when its up.
I plan when I will wear it out-- a lot of Sundays for church when the weather is right, date nights (my husband likes it out), weddings and fancy occasions--I plan this partly though because I want to make sure its curly then, not braided so much that its straightened out, like I often have it, because its easier to put up then (and because the curls, cute as they are, really get in the way, plus attract people to touch them)

Angelicblaze
November 11th, 2013, 08:03 AM
My hair isn't as long as yours now, but when it was earlier this past summer, I wore it down mostly. I am the opposite I suppose. I wear it up when it's short because the way it waves bugs me unless I use a flat iron. Then when it's long the waves make more sense and can be down completely natural and looks nice. My hair is pretty resilient, (not that yours isn't) so I don't usually worry to much about it.

Though there is one thing that I hate happens when it's long. A strand of hair will get caught in my engagement ring several times a day so I have to carefully remove it, though that can be fixed if I am able to convince my husband to buy a new ring for me. Hehe :)

Johannah
November 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM
This happens to me so much, lol.

torrilin
November 11th, 2013, 11:25 AM
My partner loves my hair down. I don't. He (very occasionally) gets it down as a treat. But most of the time, even if I were in the right sort of mood, there's at least one good reason to wear it up.

Actually, this came up this weekend. Saturday was my birthday, and I thought about celebrating my advanced age and decrepitude with loose hair. The wind was gusting up around 30-40mph tho, so I'm really just as happy I didn't. Hair in between waist and tailbone for length can cause amazing trouble when it's loose and there's that much wind. Heck, the wind was blowing hard enough to pick my braid up easily.

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
My hair isn't as long as yours now, but when it was earlier this past summer, I wore it down mostly. I am the opposite I suppose. I wear it up when it's short because the way it waves bugs me unless I use a flat iron. Then when it's long the waves make more sense and can be down completely natural and looks nice. My hair is pretty resilient, (not that yours isn't) so I don't usually worry to much about it.

This is pretty much my issue right now. My hair is about your length right now with a couple of unfortunately short layers that really mess up the wave pattern. When it was to my waist this summer/early fall I wore it down all the time because the weigh made it fall in a really pretty way. But right now it has to be heat styled within an inch of its life to look good down. But once it gets a little longer it will be down a lot more.

JessicaAnn
November 11th, 2013, 11:39 AM

This is pretty much my issue right now. My hair is about your length right now with a couple of unfortunately short layers that really mess up the wave pattern. When it was to my waist this summer/early fall I wore it down all the time because the weigh made it fall in a really pretty way. But right now it has to be heat styled within an inch of its life to look good down. But once it gets a little longer it will be down a lot more.

Gingi
November 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Back when I had long hair (approx 3 yrs ago) I NEVER EVER wore it down. In fact, one of the reasons I cut it was because I figured I never wore it down anyway, so it was pointless to have long hair. Dumb, dumb! Now I'd KILL to have long hair again!

martyna_22
November 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I'm excatly like that. I'm at waist at the moment, and at first I was all "when I get to waist, I'm going to wear it down all the time!". Now I'm "isn't this updo putting to much stress on my precious hair? Maybe I should redo it so I protect it even better" and so on :D

Tail Feathers
November 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM
i almost always keep mine up,
but
i really somehow enjoy that so few
actually ever see my hair down...

it becomes somehow very special

Bethany873
November 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I love it down and have to force myself to wear it up (and leave it up). I love the way it feels on my back and feeling it move when I turn my head. Protective styles really are a test of willpower!

TiaKitty
November 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I like it down, especially after I trimmed it recently. But it bugs me, so I put it up. Then, the bun will get to me and that will come down. Then it will get in my way, so up it goes, then it will pull, so back down. Then I'll have to ride in the car with the windows down, so up it will go... This cycle goes on ad infinitum for me!

AmyBeth
November 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM
"I'll wear my hair down today!" :cool:

"It's so pretty.." :happydance:

and then after an hour or so you think "Or maybe a protective updo would be better, don't want to damage it..." :rolleyes:

Pretty much wear my hair down twice a month maybe, for maybe 2 hours max before I start to worry and put it up.

Is this the common behavior of an LHCer?

The total irony is now that I'm looking after it it's the best it's ever looked down. :p

But alas, it's a oiled bun life for me. :o

Oh, yeah.:agree:. Most of the time, my hair is purposely a grease hazard and in a bun or braid and it looks awful to the average bystander. But if I wash it and let it air dry, I have to admit, it's a pretty sight. But it's a pretty sight, BECAUSE it looks ugly most of the time.:rolleyes:

see_turtle
November 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I wear mine down once in a while more lately which I'm trying to stop....I usually regret it if I do though I think I look better with it down. Once it is past waist I will want it down more to show it off!

swearnsue
November 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM
LOL, that is exactly what I go through every morning after wash day!

TheVegan6
November 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I never wear my hair down unless I'm going to a major event. My hair, being coarse and all, is just itchy. It scratches my neck and my face and I hate it!

TheVegan6
November 26th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I also have some cases of my hair bending and poking me. For whatever reason.

endlessly
November 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Every time I wear my hair down, I worry about this same thing! So, protective hairstyles are worn 99.9% of the time and I only let my hair down when I'm air-drying it after a wash - it tends to tangle very easily so I don't trust to wear it down for too long without a huge mess to fix.

dreamingstar
November 26th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I enjoy wearing my hair down, but I love putting it up! Recently, I've purchased several neat hair sticks and have started to really utilize them. My Mom really likes braids on me, but I enjoy coiling it into a bun. My only concern is the constant pull a bun has on hair, and how that might damage it. So I try to give myself a few days a week to wear it down.

Majormiles
November 27th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I know why you mean, I have it up every day because it 'worries me'! I enjoy wearing it down for special occasions though, about twice a month like you. My hair is almost at bsl, so not even long yet!

Majormiles
November 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Sorry, I meant what*

monsoonstorm
November 27th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I used to leave my hair down a lot, but since I've discovered sticks I keep wanting my hair up so that I can wear them! The only problem with sticks is that I need a pocket to keep one handy, whereas I'd always wander around with a claw clip attached to some part if my clothing incase I needed my hair out of the way.

SamEatsBrains
November 27th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I feel terrible about this. I feel like I'll never have nice ends if I don't wear my hair up...but I feel like...what's the point of long hair if I wear it up all the time. I love to wear my hair down, I feel naked if it's not touching my whole back lol. I get bad headaches with it up. Maybe I'll have to wear silk shirts everyday lol ):. Also, I look ugly with my hair up....so I can't even appreciate pretty updos on myself lol.

LauraLongLocks
November 27th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I love having so many updo choices that I don't miss having it down. I'm a busy mom of 11, and have livestock to care for, so my hair would be in the way if it wasn't up. Rarely, if there is no wind, and if the occasion is special enough, I will wear my hair down. I'm planning to wear it down for my special anniversary dinner with my husband on December 17th. I'm thinking a cascade of soft rag curls will be so pretty.

hanne jensen
November 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I'll wear my hair down for a party, but I always have a hair toy in my handbag. 2 hours into the party, up it goes. It gets too hot to have it down.

Mayflower
November 28th, 2013, 04:35 AM
No not at all. I wear it down all the time, unless I have a bad (flat) hair day, then I braid it, ponytail it or make a high bun.
I grew it out to wear it down, I'm 'proud' of it in some way, and I think it makes every outfit just look better. The occasional split ends and knotted hair are part of the deal!