PDA

View Full Version : Growing out curly/wavy layers

carrielynn
November 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
It's been about 9 months since my last haircut (I've micro-trimmed since then), and my layers are starting to bug me. Part of me wants to stick it out and see if things will get better with another inch or two, but part of me wants to get rid of at least the bottom layer. I'm just past APL, goal is mid-back. I'm mostly a wavy, but the last few inches (of that longest layer) become tight corkscrews (so I consider myself a 2c). Any other wavies/curlies growing out layers? What would you do?

DweamGoiL
November 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I have fine wavy 2a-2b hair at mid-back length and I love my long layers. I like the movement it adds to my hair. I had it all one length about 2 months ago and it was just so heavy. Every time it was in a pony tail, it would give me a headache. The layers took the bulkiness away and made my hair bouncy. Yes, sometimes certain hairstyles are a bit more challenging because the hair is not all one length, but I have learned to compensate for that with practice.

florenonite
November 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM
I know how you feel. My hair's at BSL, with layers going up to collarbone. I loved them when I got them put in SL, still do love them when I wear my hair down, but they are SUCH a pain for updos. In my case, I'm sticking it out because, well, having overall shorter hair isn't gonuing to make updos easier.

If your issue is that you don't like how your hair looks loose, maybe wearing it up for a few months would help? Layers do limit the number of styles you can do, but generally-speaking updos (and braids!) are still doable. For instance, I could do a split bun at BSL without layers; now I can't, but I can do a disc bun instead.

Coolcombination
November 11th, 2013, 05:48 AM
My layers go from chin to my ends at waist. I want to grow them longer so their start at long apl

starry
November 11th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I'm going to micro trim the bottom layer once it reaches bsl. Then catch up the rest, it seems too hard to trim the top layers by myself, plus I'm growing out dye aswell, will get it all even and virgin around waist, then carry on.