PDA

View Full Version : cocoa butter to be used like coconut oil in hair?

naopll10
November 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hey LHC ladies:), I have been using coconut oil and cocoa butter together at the same time just to what it did:) it made it a lot more shiny and smooth:) I notice even if I don't go on LHC for a while I still have gotten good hair habits from here and I now just do them as they have become my way of life:) just want to see everyone else's thoughts on cocoa butter:)

ExpectoPatronum
November 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I absolutely adore cocoa butter for my skin. I haven't tried it for my hair though. I'm currently using a shea butter conditioner (It's like the second or third ingredient) and it's making my hair super soft.

Kaelee
November 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Never tried it myself, but a lot of people use Shea butter in their hair. I haven't tried it yet, but I use it on my skin. My face loves it!

Sillage
November 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I love love love the way premium coco butter smells but because it breaks me out, I don't use it on my skin or hair.

Nebulae
November 11th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a good combo, probably smells really yummy :) I have some mango butter that I bought to use on my skin, I think I will try it on my hair as well! I think I read that it was similar to shea and cocoa. Anyone tried it? My skin loves it :D And it smells divine!

chelles2kids
November 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a great combo to me!!
I LOVE cocoa butter for both hair & skin so I could see how mixing it with coconut oil might make it easier to use since it's so super hard otherwise.

What ratio do you use when you mix the two? 50/50?

I've also heard that you can take straight cocoa butter & soften it in a double boiler & then whip it with a hand mixer or a stand mixer & make a cocoa butter like whip & it's supposed to be easier to use that way since whipping air into it makes it a lighter, mousse like consistency. I haven't tried it yet because I've been out but just bought some more today so I might give it a try.:wink:

AmyBeth
November 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I've tried shea butter on my hair, and it was way too heavy for my fine hair. So I started using it on my skin and I think it is close to divinity:inlove:. But I've read that cocoa butter has one of the highest antioxidant contents of any seed butter, so I just ordered some on Amazon. It hasn't shown up yet, but I want to try it on my hair and skin.

CurlyCap
November 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yep!

I use cocoa butter more like shea butter. Take a small amount and melt it in my hands before applying to my hair. My hair likes it as a coater rather than something that sinks in.

I've found that cocoa butter also plays nice with other oils and butters, so I frequently use it as a base in mixes.

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I mix cocoa butter with other things.
My friend has super fine hair (she's like a Nordic blond type) and she has been using a teensy bit of cocoa butter melted in her palm on the ends of her hair and is very happy with the result. she actually started doing this by accident, I suggested coconut oil and she thought I said cocoa butter, but it's been working so great that she doesn't want to change. And her hair is growing (though she doesn't keep it up or anything).

GoddesJourney
November 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I use it on my skin sometimes, but I wipe my hands through my hair from time to time when I'm finished rubbing it in. I have thick hairs, so it seems to coat well. I also live in Florida so it's not as difficult to work with. I just press it to my skin for a second or two and it softens just enough, like the outer layer just barely melts (I have it in stick form). Haven't tried mango butter but I bet it smells amazing. :)

naopll10
February 25th, 2014, 05:14 AM
I just stuck random amounts in:) anyway I love this site:)