PDA

View Full Version : The Multiple Texture Thread

TrapperCreekD
November 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM
(Did a search and didn't find a similar thread)

I've noticed that a lot of us here, in addition to having indecisive hair, have been blessed with multiple textures, myself included. It can refuse to tamed, or look quite nice if ever decides to behave. :taz: I have a section or two above my nape and under/behind my ears that is wurlier/curlier than the rest of my hair and will turn into a weird frizzy mess if it gets combed it too much. So, I'm curious, where does your hair get wavier/wurlier/curlier?

ExpectoPatronum
November 10th, 2013, 01:33 PM
This is the thread for me.

The textures of my hair span from 1b/c alllllll the way to 3a. I can't really choose a texture because no single texture really 'dominates' my hair. They're pretty equal in representation across my hair and it's really frustrating because no matter what I do, my hair just looks like a mess. I'm following the curly girl method in order to cater to my waves and in hopes of making my more straight pieces wavy. But so far, no luck :( My curls look nice though.

furnival
November 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Me too! 1a/2c here, straight as a ruler in front of my ears, a straggly 1b canopy sitting upon 2c ringlets underneath. There are pictures in my 'hair' album.
I've always wished for curly hair- it was straight when I was a kid, then spent fifteen years in dreadlocks, so when I finally grew it out of a buzz cut and found wurls I was over the moon. I'm sure they appeared just because I wished for them, but I obviously didn't wish hard enough as the hair on the front half of my head is stick-straight and thin, so when I wear it up (99% of the time) I appear to have very thin, straight hair. Oh well, keep wishing... :p

florenonite
November 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I've got ringlets around my hairline at the front, most of the canopy at the sides can be coaxed into 2a waves, and the back is just straight. It's more of an issue when my hair's short and the ringlets insist on curling; longer and they get weighed down easily enough and I can just pretend my hair's straight.

ExpectoPatronum
November 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Me too! 1a/2c here, straight as a ruler in front of my ears, a straggly 1b canopy sitting upon 2c ringlets underneath. There are pictures in my 'hair' album.
I've always wished for curly hair- it was straight when I was a kid, then spent fifteen years in dreadlocks, so when I finally grew it out of a buzz cut and found wurls I was over the moon. I'm sure they appeared just because I wished for them, but I obviously didn't wish hard enough as the hair on the front half of my head is stick-straight and thin, so when I wear it up (99% of the time) I appear to have very thin, straight hair. Oh well, keep wishing... :p

I had straight hair when I was a kid too. 1a/1b straight. Maybe the rest of our hair hasn't gotten the message to transition to wavy-curly yet? ;)

I actually wished for curly hair too...And now that I have it I'm constantly annoyed by it. I guess the saying is true. You want what you can't have?

sourgrl
November 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
This would be my son! He has my wavy hair on his crown and his father's tight curly hair underneath. I've just recently discovered trying to separate the sections as I comb helps tremendously. I'm still working on figuring out the best way to care for his hair but I certainly treat it with cg methods.

TrapperCreekD
November 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
It's fascinating how different everyone's head of hair is! I haven't tried the CO part of the CG method yet, but I like my hair better now I'm only using or finger combing instead turning myself into a poofball by running ripping a ball tipped brush through it.

I haven't had my hair properly typed - just guessing from the descriptions - but I noticed I've gotten a little curlier after using M&T a couple times.

DarkCurls
November 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I think lots of people (most of them?) have several textures. :) This is a really interesting subject to me.

I had wavy hair when I was born, but straight hair for most of my childhood until middle school when my hair became curly. At first I had no idea what was happening, so I spent a couple years with brushed-out curls, thinking I still had straight hair that wouldn't lay right. But now I'm a definite curly.
My top layer is curly, probably 3a. My underlayer can go down as low as 1c/2a, and will not curl no matter what I do with it. But I like it better like this than the other way around, so I'm used to it now. However, it makes half-ups feel very annoying -- I feel like I lose half my volume just by putting the top quarter of my hair up.

spirals
November 13th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I have straight bits over the ears, waves throughout, and spirals around my face and at the nape. On a humid day it goes all spirally. On top of that, I have all three textures: fine, medium, and coarse. You'd think the fine strands would get damaged as I try to tame the coarse ones, but most of the splits are in the medium hairs. It does what it wants and I go along for the ride.

bananahanna
November 13th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I'm here too. My hair seems to range from being mostly 1B on one side to having random swirls and a spiral or two on the right side. this may be due to where my part is located but I find it pretty entertaining to see all the types.

nina.
April 22nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
i'm the exact same way! hair is so weird :) i wonder what causes it to suddenly change the way it's been since birth??

molljo
April 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
My hair's been more or less the exact same since I was a toddler. It's basically everything but curly. I've always wanted a spiral, at least. The usual places where people have them are where my hair's the straightest. The very top of my head is about 1c, half of it I turned into bangs, the other half hangs limply and sadly over my waves, which is the piece of hair I hate the most. The waves can be annoying and love to frizz, but that 1c bit always seems to act like a scraggly curtain and I would gladly accept more frizz if I could just get it to wave. Underneath that, my hair's lovely wavy mane.

CremeTron
April 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Mine is 3c from ears down and at the centre front (where the fringe/ bangs) are. The rest is 4a. Took me a very long time to figure this out so you can imagine the "fun" it has been :D:rolleyes:

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Just found this thread. I am also a mix of textures from a few 3c curls I discovered recently, to all the type 4 textures that are available. Discovering the type 3c curls has made me re-think how I look after my hair. Who knows, I may end up discovering new textures :)

TangledUpInBlue
April 13th, 2015, 05:21 AM
I hope people don't mind me resurrecting this thread. My curls change wildly based on how long my hair is. When it is short, it forms spiral curls, but the curls have a huge diameter, so mostly it just looks like it's gone crazy. When it's long, it's probably a 2b. I just cut my hair for the first time using a method that layers the hair, and I'm not quite sure what to do now because I'm a 3b around the face and a 2b in the back, with everything in between in the middle! If anyone has figured out a way to handle the differences, I would be curious to know.

MINAKO
April 13th, 2015, 05:42 AM
Tangledupinblue, did you try wet setting your hair, as in braidwaves, damp bunning or likewise.
I had the. craziest mix of textures on my head too, the advise i can give to even it out is in fact a bit limited, since none of the techniques worked for me personally. I went straight, end of story. :eek:

Hurven
April 13th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Most of my hair is 1C or 2A, but some pieces in the back are 1A, so from the back my hair looks like I've tried to curl my hair but missed a few pieces. Also, since I started growing out my hair dye and taking better care of my hair in general, I've started to get kind of top layer of 3C-curls for some reason. Some of them are even borderline 4A! I don't know how it's happened, but I actually enjoy it. :)

Tinyponies
April 28th, 2019, 09:54 AM
This is after a roots wash with my bf’s lovely shampoo bar. What is my texture even doing, haha :) and you can see my rogue silver that still sticks straight up and out :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/fzzHSev.jpg

This is the closest yet I’ve come to a real proper typing pic, I did touch the front a bit and it’s not quite dry. I like the variety.
https://i.imgur.com/wUt9QDt.jpg

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 03:38 PM
^^ I would call that 2a. 1c/2a maybe. But that latest picture... yeah.

Tinyponies
April 29th, 2019, 08:04 PM
^^ I would call that 2a. 1c/2a maybe. But that latest picture... yeah.

Thanks, Lapushka.

lapushka
April 30th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Lapushka.

Gorgeous mane, Tinyponies! :thumbsup:

Tinyponies
April 30th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Gorgeous mane, Tinyponies! :thumbsup:

Thank you :heart: I’m working on it, can’t believe how much it’s changed in the ~6 months since I joined here. I’ve absorbed a lot of info, now time to see what works for me after coming out of my product free hiatus.