PDA

View Full Version : Can non heat curling methods become damaging?

ProverbsGirl
November 10th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I have sworn off heat except for a few special occasions.I'm 99% heat free.
Since then I have recently been experimenting with heatless curling options. Mainly rag curlers. I do them one to two times a week. Put them in after washing, sleep on them, take them down, style and go. I wear it down for a day or so and then it is in a bun/protective style the time between washes.
I do not use a lot of products and I am super careful of breakage.

Can this be damaging in the long run?
Is there a safer option for heatless curls?
Thoughts?

Coolcombination
November 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Hmmm repetitive strain in one place will damage hair over time.... As long as your careful it should be fine

KittyBird
November 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I think the insane tangles I get after doing heatless curls, would definitely be very damaging in the long run. The curls look nice for most of the day, and then I end up with horrible, matted tangles. Almost impossible to detangle without getting some breakage, even when slattered in coney conditioner. That's why I don't curl my hair very often.

It sounds like you're very careful though, so I suppose it won't damage your hair much. :)

ProverbsGirl
November 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Ok. thanks ladies. i was thinking the same, but wanted to check.
My husband is a big fan of curly hair and has been bummed since i stopped using heat products. lol i'm like it curly some of the time as well. :)

Madora
November 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I did rag curls once...never again. Just a pure hassle to deal with as far as combing was concerned.

I found that the tangling problem was a little less onerous if I used more hair when rolling up the rags...but still, the outcome wasn't what I had hoped.

Sock curls were a bit better...but the curls looked very droopy and didn't stay for any length of time.

I have used foam curlers (the largest available) and have been happy with the results..but again, had to be darn careful when detangling. I usually moistened my hair a bit before tackling the detangling.

ositarosita
November 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I was never the biggest fan of rag curls because of what the rags are made and the constant friction on my pillow ... but have you tried bantu knots???

Naiadryade
November 10th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I like bantu knots. Held with soft scrunchies! Pictures of the curls from them are in my albums...

Do you get tangles after your heatless curls like others are describing? I think that's the biggest risk of damage. If you don't, you should be good to go. To be extra safe, switch up where on your head you make the curls each time to lessen repetitive stress in the same places.

And then, post pictures of them for us all to see. :popcorn:

Sharysa
November 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM
What texture is your natural hair? I find that a lot of people with straight hair who try to curl it get the tangle issue more frequently than those with wavy/curly hair--maybe it's because straight hair naturally separates easily, instead of clumping together like actual wavy/curly hair.

Although we do have more damage in general because curly hair tangles a lot, and there's nothing you can do about it aside from detangle it gently. I use my fingers to get rid of the worst tangles, and other people use wide toothed combs.

My hair is borderline wavy, and it takes to braid-waves really well. Any braid is good, but Dutch/French braids give the best waves for me. You might want to try braids.

LaurelSpring
November 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Have you tried Caruso steam rollers? I have used them on and off for years. They do have heat, but I don't think they would be very damaging if you want to use them now an then. Others here use them also. My hair feels nice when I use them, not all dry and crackly feeling like when I use heat.

vanillabones
November 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm afraid of this. I'm going to try bandana waves and I have soft rollers but don't really know how to use them. When my hair is past waist I REALLY want it curly/wavy all the time. It adds volume and looks better in updos and down or half-up. I would want to do heat free curls every night so I can wake up curly every day but 1 my hair HATES to hold a curl and refuses 2 it tangles something nasty that I'm not used to / know how to handle. I only use a comb anyway.
Braid waves don't work for me and my sock buns don't do much either. I'm thinking mixing some water and AVG in a little squirt bottle to use to hold the curls as an alternative to hairspray?