PDA

View Full Version : This is not good.

Kittee
September 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Ok I knew I was thinning down from my meds earlier this year and my weight yo/yo thing going on, again from the meds...but I had no idea.

I'm thinking about cutting to that faint line I have marked here, just to get a decent hemline back and a thicker braid tassel.

Thoughts? Is it as bad as I think it is? OR am I having a hair "anorexia" moment?

Spidermom- I'm so sorry. I know I said I would go a year without trimming. :confused:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/Ugh.jpg

Nes
September 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Honestly? I think your hemline looks fine. You probably see it as being much worse than it actually is.

From a strangers point of view, I would be more than happy if my hair looked like yours.

If you are really unhappy with it though, observe the 2 week rule and then think about it again.

Nes x

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I can understand your desire to cut as I would probably feel the same if it were my hair. I prefer a thicker hemline myself. However, as I look at it I would start with about a quarter of what you are wanting to trim and go no further than half of what you want to trim. You would be surprised what a big difference that would make. And the thing is, you can always cut more if it doesn't satisfy you. (Speaking as someone who has a past of cutting too much hair at a time, I'm learning to take much less and I find I'm actually happier.)

lawyermom
September 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think it looks bad at all! If that were my head, I'd do as Silver & Gold suggested; I'd cut half as much as you're indicating in your pic.

camara
September 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe you could trim an inch, see whether you like it or not, follow the two-weeks rule once more and then trim more (or not)? I wouldn´t trim as much as you indicated in your pic, because it really isn´t that bad, in my opinion. Though, if you were used to thicker hair, I can see why this must be disturbing. Just remember the two weeks rule and don´t rush anything!

florenonite
September 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I don't think it's as bad as you apparently do, but ultimately it's your hair and you have to be happier with it, so if you'll be happier with it shorter and thicker rather than longer and thinner (though by no means too thin!) then I agree with those who have said to use the two-week rule and then cut if you still want to. However, if you think you can be persuaded to believe that it still looks lovely, then I will endeavour to persuade you right now: your hair is beautiful, and isn't as thin as you think it is at the ends.

Kittee
September 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks all. I'm just having a hard time accepting how thin (to me) It has gotten. To me in that photo it looks like a rats nest. =( My type of hair...not straight but not 100% curly is so very annoying to style. I find myself wearing it up all the time now and I sometimes get frustrated at how "matronly" that makes me appear.

anna1850
September 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I think it looks fine although if you want to make it thicker though then you can trim, but I think if you cut about 1/3-1/2 of what you've marked it would look reasonably thick. There's a fair amount below the line that still looks thickish.

Although you could always leave it for the moment and then wait for the thickness to catch up before trimming. I know at the moment I'm not really planning on trimming until I get to classic unless it gets super thin and then just letting it get thicker and maintaining.

Bottom line, it's totally up to you. I'm not really trimming just because I hate getting my hair cut and I know I'd be thinking 'If I hadn't trimmed my hair would be this long now' instead of enjoying my current length, but if taper really bothers you more than length then a trim might be good because if you're not enjoying it because you're thinking 'Oh, but the ends are so thin,' then that's not good either.

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think it looks bad at all! If that were my head, I'd do as Silver & Gold suggested; I'd cut half as much as you're indicating in your pic.

I second this advice if fairytale ends are not what you want. I was basically in exactly the same position as you, except not from medication, and i did cut....i cut ALOT off. I'm happy with my decision but i had struggled for a long time with it, plus i had the added reason of removing the damage i had from chemical colouring. But, it can be quite an emotional thing so not something i'd advise making a quick decision on.....just keep your hair up and tucked away s you are not looking at it for a while and consider other options like a trimming schedule etc first, then if you do still want to after a few weeks do it in phases with a break between each phase. That'll stop you from maybe taking more off than you really want, and give you time to adjust to the smaller length losses in between.

I would also look into options to encourage growth and to try to keep the hair you have....lots of threads on it but briefly....scalp massage/brushing, scalp oilings, herbs, supplements etc.

Good luck, i do know how horrible this is to deal with :flower:

ETA i actually really like how your ends form those beautiful delicate curls....if mine had done that i might not even have cut.

renarok
September 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
You have so much body in your hair that if you trim off 2 inches it will shrink up 3 or 4 inches. I think that is all you really need to thicken up your hemline.

Periwinkle
September 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
First off, your hair is gorgeous! Thinned or not, I'd still love to have your hair. It is a little bit thinner at the ends, but that's life, and it doesn't look half bad!

If I were you, I'd probably trim the veeerrrrry last inch or so, where there's only a little bit of hair anyway because of your V-shaped hemline. That way, you'd still get the feeling of 'doing something' (which is always important!) but you won't have lost a lot in terms of length.

I wouldn't advise cutting all that in one go, just in case you change your mind. You could always try cutting 1/3 or 1/2 of that, then leaving it for a while to see if you still want to cut the rest or if you're happy with that. It can be hard to imagine how hair will look sometimes, especially since if you cut it bluntly and not in a V, you ends may look very different anyway.

xrosiex
September 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think your hair is lovely. Maybe a small trim would help thicken it alittle. But you need to do what makes you happy.

ChatoyantLocks
September 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I personally *like* fairytale ends, so if it was my hair, I wouldn't cut it. However, even if you don't like that kind of ends, I think the bar you marked for cutting it at is way too high up. I think if you took off less than half that, it would still have a dramatic effect.

Shanarana
September 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I can understand what your going through as far as the thinness at the bottom. I did end up taking a small amount off my ends (about an inch) and made a huge difference for me.

I would trim off a little first and you may be surprised at how much that little bit can make a big difference.

Telle
September 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I have looked at your blog and can see the different in your hair from then until now. It looks like a small trim wouldn't hurt. I would start off 1/2 to 1 inch and go to someone you trust. I went in for a trim in july and lost 4 inches. You can always go shorter if you are not happy with a inch.

Kittee
September 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. I think tonight I will have my hubby trim a bit off. I'll post new shots in the morning.

I thought I was going to enjoy fairy tail ends but now I'm not so sure. I have a lot of new growth around my crown and nap, I'm hoping that means that my hairloss isn't permanent.

WURW
September 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I love fairy ends and think it looks beautiful. You have gotten some great advice, now follow your heart but if you decide to cut make it much less like Silver and Gold suggested.

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. I think tonight I will have my hubby trim a bit off. I'll post new shots in the morning.

I thought I was going to enjoy fairy tail ends but now I'm not so sure. I have a lot of new growth around my crown and nap, I'm hoping that means that my hairloss isn't permanent.

I'm glad you are only going to trim a little. Fairytale ends really do have their benefits, and i do miss the way they made buns so easy, and i could braid my hair and not need to tie it off.
But hair WILL grow back, you said yourself it already is....and when you feel it getting thicker (not that yours looks thin anyway) it feels amazing.....when i measured my ponytail circumference and had the comments from not just my sisters but even my dad who never notices anything, not even me walking in with a big ring through my lip, it feels amazing.....you'll get there hun :grouphug:

a12345
September 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Your hair is really pretty - lovely color and great waves, too! We have the same hair type and I think your hair might actually be a little dry. Its hard to tell from a photo, of course, so forgive me if I'm mistaken! When my hair is really nicely moisturized, I know it definitely looks thicker, so maybe it would also work with your hair and you would feel more confident about the thickness.

Kittee
September 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Ya'll are going to have a good laugh at me.

I got in the shower tonight, armed with a new shampoo bar (Nettle) and a new conditioner. (Herbal Essence Long lengths or whatever. Figured I would give it a shot with some cones to cure my dryness) and as I was washing my hair when I suddenly realized it is now long enough to ahem...go into my "crack."

I decided at that moment not to trim after all and keep going.

Long hair Gods/Goddess be praised because if my hubby had not have asked me not to have it cut today (at a Salon) I would have. So I'm sitting with it up now in a bun, happily damp and moisturized. I'm hoping tomorrow it looks better. :)

Thanks all for your support.

spidermom
September 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm glad you are happy with your hair again.

As you probably noticed, I never proceeded with my idea of partnering up with a nontrimmer in a thread to compare growth over time. So no apology necessary.

I would not have recommended that you trim off as much as you indicated early in this thread. I would say one inch and no more, at least at first. I also support your choice to trim not at all.

LadyLongLocks
September 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe do a rounded hemline trim to keep more length. Seems to be the natural pattern of your hair.

truepeacenik
September 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM
yay "fanny floss."

Wait 'til it reaches around front.
If you do decide to trim down the line, simply making your V a U would probably make the rest seem more "solid."

FrannyG
September 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I love those moments when we see the beauty in our hair after we've lost our ability to be objective.

Your hair is lovely, and I'm happy to hear that you're happy with it again. :blossom:

Jemoiselle
September 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with the consensus, in that trimming 1/2 of what you've labeled as thin would make a huge difference, if you truly are unhappy. Personally, I think your hair is lovely too but I realize there have been plenty of times in my life where I've gone through the same thing, feeling bad about something while everyone else tells me it's fine. My weight, namely. A couple of summers ago, I got really passionate about yoga and started to completely change my body shape. The people in my family kept telling me I was worrying them with how much weight I was losing from a frame that they thought didn't need it at all. Anyways, from a health standpoint I was well within the normal healthy range, and while everyone else was busy calling me anorexic I got into the best shape of my life going from 170 to 107 in about 1.5 years. Then I got preggers, LOL!! Now I'm back somewhere in the middle of those two figures hehe. Anyways, it's all about YOU my dear, and what makes your heart sing =) As I learned, at night, you're the one who has to feel content inside.

Jemoiselle

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I am also aiming for thick, blunt ends and for a larger braid tassel. I think you shouldn't do anything too drastic tough. You can still have a go in the one year with no trims and then have a period of regular trims thicken up and make your ends more even. You have to think if you prefer lenght, thicker ends, or whatever, before you do anything. I prefer, always, lenght, so if I were you I would keep growing while having periodic trims to even out and prevent further thinning.

If you're really wanting thicker ends NOW, just do a small trim. A very little trim can make a huge diference :)

I wish you the best luck! Keep us updated!

Kittee
September 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/Ugh2.jpg

Ok this was taken this morning. I think the ends look a little better, but I'm still hating my hair cleavage.

Has anyone successfully battled this beast?

invisiblebabe
September 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/Ugh2.jpg

Ok this was taken this morning. I think the ends look a little better, but I'm still hating my hair cleavage.

The texture, thickness, and color look much better in this picture than they do in the first!

I guess sometimes we all have bad hair days, lol. I have wavy hair too, so I can relate to having hair that is bipolar ;)

Forlorn Reverie
September 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM

I think your hair looks beautiful. The ends look much better in the more recent picture!

Now for a stupid newbie question: What is hair cleavage?

Kittee
September 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM
There are no stupid questions Forlorn. :)

Its my scalp peaking up at the top there, my natural part.
Thank you all for the kind words.:crush:

Forlorn Reverie
September 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Kittee :)