PDA

View Full Version : Bad cut

wrh452
November 9th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Ugh, so my hair was really damaged on the ends so I decided to get a few inches taken off. I also asked him to even out the layers because I moved my part and it was laying funny. What I came out with was a very hard uneven length with many straglers, layers that were 2 inches shorter on one side of my part than the other, and the layers not blended to the length. I got the layers looking a little better but they will have to grow out a bit, but I can't fix the length by myself. I went from BSL to APL and now it looks like I might need another inch taken off to even it out.

I would have rather had damaged ends.

Of the Fae
November 9th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Oh that sounds bad :(
But maybe it is less horrible than it seems? Do you have a pic? Sometimes a haircut feels like the end of the world, but after a while may seem more manageable. Annnnd if it's very very bad than it will grow out soon :)
Good luck growing it out, I'm sure it has been good to cut the damage out!

wrh452
November 9th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I don't have a picture, but my husband says that he can't see it from far away, but I know he is being nice and doesn't really know anything about hair anyways. I'm hoping my mom can help me at least even out the end today. I can trim my layers by myself but I just had him do it because my new place has carpet in front of the bathroom mirror unlike my last place that had a huge tile bathroom. I guess I will just have to get creative in the kitchen with a mirror sometime lol

Night_Kitten
November 9th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry you had such a bad experience :( I hope it grows out quickly...

If you have a carpet in the room with the good mirror, try taking an old newspaper and lay out pages in the place you'll be standing / sitting and a bit around, so that all the cut hair will fall on the newspaper and can be easily cleaned afterwords :)
You could use a piece of cloth or some other material instead of the newspapers if you prefer, I just find old newspapers quicker and more comfortable to use as you can just wrap the cuttings in them and throw away...

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry your hair cut turned out bad. Did you talk to the owner or another hair dresser to tell them your delimma. If not I'd ask them if they'd redo your hair. If they can't or won't I'd try to see if a friend or family member could help you.

AmyBeth
November 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I know what I would do in your situation, and I also know there aren't many people who would/could. I'd put it up and keep it up until it is long enough to trim myself, and never, ever let anyone else touch my hair with a pair of scissors again! It's so unfair, but it will grow out quickly not that most, if not all of the damage is gone.

goldenlady
November 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
and that is why I self-trim. I always find hairdressers do what they like no matter what you tell them.. I always ended up with super short layers on my fine hair making it look like a grown out mullet! I sympathise completely!

Crumpet
November 9th, 2013, 11:36 AM
and that is why I self-trim. I always find hairdressers do what they like no matter what you tell them.. I always ended up with super short layers on my fine hair making it look like a grown out mullet! I sympathise completely!

Ha! Yes, this is kind of what I'm dealing with now...a waist-length mullet. Sometimes the layers look better than other times. I agree that you should put your hair up and forget about it for a bit. Slowly take off the ends and even it out. At your length it will happen fairly quickly. In the meantime, HUGS

MeowScat
November 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry you don't like your new cut. We've all been there.

Wear it up and don't look at the length for a few months. And hey...benign neglect is a great thing!

LauraLongLocks
November 9th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry you got a bad cut. I had a big whack at a beauty school once. I only wanted an inch off, but got about 3 inches hacked off all at once. Six months growth in a blink. The "supervisor/teacher" was trying to help the stylist, because she didn't know what she was doing. In the end, I lost 3 inches, but back then I didn't really care about how long my hair was, as long as it was past APL, so it wasn't too traumatic for me. The supervisor was relieved that I wasn't too upset by it. I agree with the others. Wear it up and don't get another trim until you can do it yourself. I'm getting closer to deciding to do my own, since I'm at MBL now. I guess it's long enough I can do it, but I'm afraid! I hope you'll not have the fear of doing it yourself that I have.

dulce
November 9th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Check out the creaclip-see demos on utube.It does many kinds of cuts and works for short and long hair.

wrh452
November 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM
The problem was that is was the manager of the store who is also my friend. I would rather it not get any worse having them try to fix it. I will definitely look up those videos though and see if there is a way to even the bottom on my own, but that sounds hard.

Liz_park
November 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM

@wrh452: I saw your post and my heart goes out to you! I have had an extremely similar experience! :(

Goldenlady is right on the money with the self-trimming. Do NOT go back to the salon. In fact, I recommend never going to a salon again. It is honestly a waste of money and 9 times out of 10 they cut off way too much or give you a disaster haircut which makes you feel terrible about your hair for months.

I recommend looking up Feye's self-trim method, invest in a sharp pair of scissors, self-trimming from now on, and slowly trim away the layers until you have the hair you love again. I was nervous to cut my own hair at first, but TRUST me, you will give yourself a much better haircut than any stylist ever will.

Always be your own best friend...and your own hair stylist ;)

sourgrl
November 9th, 2013, 07:50 PM
My last layered cut resulted in that mullet look. Thankfully my wavy hair was able to hide it to the untrained eye. I agree with what others have said. Work with what you have while it grows out and learn how to self trim so your next cut is sure to be exactly what you want. :flowers:

wrh452
November 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I'm actually a licensed cosmetologist, but haven't been working in the field for quite some time. I just have to figure out how to do everything backwards. :confused: