PDA

View Full Version : What to use when tying a braid?

sabrinaclrke
November 8th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I'm sure this has been asked many of times, but I haven't been able to find it :p

Since hair ties can damage hair, what else can I use to tie my braid?

I really haven't the slightest clue! :shrug:

Thanks ! :bow:

YamaMaya
November 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I found some satin scrunchies on Amazon that do the trick quite nicely, but I may need to buy more as I lost all but one :(

Madora
November 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I'm sure this has been asked many of times, but I haven't been able to find it :p

Since hair ties can damage hair, what else can I use to tie my braid?

I really haven't the slightest clue! :shrug:

Thanks ! :bow:

Hair ties don't damage hair. It is HOW you use them that causes the damage..i.e. just ripping them off, using them to hold ponytails all the time.

I've been using tiny hair ties for more than 40 years and haven't had any damage yet.

I will say that not all hair ties are created equal. Some are better quality than others.

sabrinaclrke
November 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Ooh, I forgot about scrunchies, thanks! :o

And that's very true, but I always feel I tie them too tight, otherwise they tend to slip.

melusine963
November 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I use a little clear elastic (it's made of silicone, I think). These do tend to grab my hair, so I only use them on the very ends of braids where any possible damage will be trimmed off before long.

Long_hair_bear
November 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I use ribbon elastics.... they're soft and great for ends. :)

vanillabones
November 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM
If I use 'cloth' stretchy elastics (little girl size) they slip out of my hair. I have the little plastic/silicones end hair ties and I have little rubber ones too. I like these little rubber ones they slide right out of my hair while the plastic ones have to be cut out or very carefully removed and I still get a hair or two pulled out when removing them.

Long_hair_bear I'd love to know where you find these ribbon elastics :) do you make them yourself? They will probably slide right out of my hair but it'd be nice for base work for a sock bun or something.

Foxylocks
November 8th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I second the fact that hair ties do not damage hair. Unless you tear them out of your braid so roughly that you hear hairs snap, they won't cause any damage.

young&reckless
November 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
You can find ribbon ties at most places now, like walgreens and target. Or you can buy stretchy elastic at a craft store. If you cut it about 7in long, you have the right size.

0xalis
November 8th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I tend to use a satin scrunchie [which just loves to fall right out after a while]
but last night I decided to use this kind of hair tie to do my sleep double braids:
http://data2.whicdn.com/images/68812625/thumb.jpg
and it held very well! As long as you are gentle putting it on and taking it off, you shouldn't get any damage ♥

MeowScat
November 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Braid a Piranda or long thin scarf into your hair past where your hair ends.

I use small terry cloth covered elastics. They're kinda slippery, though.

Phlegmatic
November 9th, 2013, 02:18 AM
I just use a normal metal-free black ponytail holder usually. However, I occasionally use the small rubbery elastics which I think may be the cause of some of my splits. I have seen some pictures of ladies with beautiful hair securing their ends with mini Flexi-8s though, which do not seem to damage hair too much, so that is also an option!