PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn, tangled section of hair

ludwig20
November 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
This has been going on for a while (or at least since I started to carefully observe) but a section of my hair near the top of my head is always stubborn, prone to tangles, and flat.

Does anyone else have this? It's quite frustrating, especially when trying to wash or comb that part.

I don't think it's a build up issue since I clarify every now and then. I don't CO-wash anymore -- I'm back to shampooing & conditioning. I don't even use products aside from a bit of coconut oil on my ends. And I try to be gentle on this section since it's not as highly dense as other parts of my hair.

Any suggestions would be helpful at this point. :(

florenonite
November 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
It sounds like it might be rubbing against something, like your pillow or the headrest in the car. Do you wear it down a lot or to bed? If so, the solution would be to either get a satin/silk pillowcase or sleep cap or, if your hair is long enough, braid it before bed and wear it up during the day.

sourgrl
November 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
My 4 year old has a section of hair that does this. He has long hair, half curly, half wavy, and this one spot that practically mats up. Satin/silk pillow cases don't work. Sleep caps aren't an option. Oiling, leave in conditioner. Nothing helps. Twice a day I battle this one section of hair. I often wonder if it's because he has two different types of hair on his head. I don't know if cutting his hair would make a difference. So, the battle continues :justy:

ludwig20
November 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks florenonite (lovely Smiths avatar by the way!). My silk pillow case hasn't really worked in regards to this section.

@sourgrl - My hair use to be curly as a child. I wonder if this is more common among a certain hair type?

sourgrl
November 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
It may be possible it has to do with type. His does this in a place where the wave meets the tight curls. The thing is it only happens in this one spot of his head, despite the line where the wavy and curly hair meet goes around his head from left to right. His hair is such a mix of types and he has so much of it it's hard to tell. Maybe it is more because he has a couple different types on his head? What baffles me is it is just one section of hair. Wish I could find a way to prevent it. Half of my time detangling his hair is spent on this one spot...

Hopefully someone on the boards can offer some insight.

maskedrose
November 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I have a section behind my right ear that is like this, and has been as long as I can remember. It's coarse, frizzy, and prone to splits and breakage. I treat it very gently and try to keep it more moisturized than the rest of my hair, but it's frustrating.

Naiadryade
November 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
You might want to try oiling the tangly section in addition to your ends.

For most of my life the undermost layer of my hair on the right hand side in the back would tangle up faster and more badly than the rest of my hair. It's a bit finer and curlier there than most of the rest of my hair. Since I started oiling my hair with olive oil daily, and using a little extra on the under-layer, it hasn't been a problem. Tangles in general are no longer a big thing I deal with, and especially considering how matted this one section used to get, it's a huge difference. Of course, wearing my hair bunned or braided when doing things that really promote tangles (and most recently loose in a satin sleep cap to sleep) helps a great deal with this as well.

florenonite
November 10th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Thanks florenonite (lovely Smiths avatar by the way!).

Thank you! :D

ludwig20
November 15th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I have a section behind my right ear that is like this, and has been as long as I can remember. It's coarse, frizzy, and prone to splits and breakage. I treat it very gently and try to keep it more moisturized than the rest of my hair, but it's frustrating.

Same - it tends to be coarse and frizzy. I try to be gentle with this section, too, but there have been times where I'm impatient and comb vigorously.

ludwig20
November 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM
You might want to try oiling the tangly section in addition to your ends.

For most of my life the undermost layer of my hair on the right hand side in the back would tangle up faster and more badly than the rest of my hair. It's a bit finer and curlier there than most of the rest of my hair. Since I started oiling my hair with olive oil daily, and using a little extra on the under-layer, it hasn't been a problem. Tangles in general are no longer a big thing I deal with, and especially considering how matted this one section used to get, it's a huge difference. Of course, wearing my hair bunned or braided when doing things that really promote tangles (and most recently loose in a satin sleep cap to sleep) helps a great deal with this as well.

Honestly, coconut oiling has helped a lot, but this section has been very resistant. I'll try to remain consistent and see if it improves in the long-term. *crosses fingers*

Naiadryade
November 15th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Honestly, I think with detangling, if a certain oil doesn't work it's not going to improve in the longer term. I'd try a different oil. (http://web.archive.org/web/20111221210032/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66) They each have different properties (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AojS7E2gXDbndDhPNWZ3NXRkbjFpNjY5ZlZyUzVUR Xc#gid=3), which react differently with each person's hair... for me, coconut is definitely not the best at detangling, especially if it's not very hot out. (Great as a pre-poo treatment though!) Have you tried extra virgin olive oil? Sweet almond? How about oils that coat the hair but don't penetrate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971), like jojoba or grapeseed?

sourgrl
November 15th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Ludwig, do you use cones? I'm wondering if cones might make a difference...

ludwig20
November 16th, 2013, 11:17 PM
No, I don't use cones. I did try a Pantene conditioner months ago but I didn't notice a difference.

I could try EVOO or grapeseed since I have those in my kitchen. I'm not sure how to go about it though since my problem is very close to my scalp. The ends are easier to seal, but what about near the roots? I'll try it next time I wash my hair - I'll just use a very tiny amount to avoid oily roots.

Long_hair_bear
November 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I have the same issue and nothing has helped. Its the hair around my earlobe line. I braid my hair before bed, use cones and coconut oil, etc. Its frustrating, I know.

minxe
November 17th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I'd do a thorough s&d focused on that one particular section of hair since you said it's prone to tangling. Maybe you have a few super split hairs that are causing a lot of the tangles? :confused:

ludwig20
November 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM
@long_hair_bear: I hope we soon find a solution!

@minxe: Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you! : )