PDA

View Full Version : Luxury hair care thread!

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Alright ladies and gents--
i've been lurking here long enough to understand you can truly pamper hair without spending an arm and a leg (SMT moisture treatment, I'm looking at you :)) but what about those with an urge to splurge?

What are your favourite high end products?

If you had excess money to spend on any luxury brand, etc, what would it be?

And what is your opinion on them vs drugstore brands/homemade things?

personally I'm a Kerastase fiend :inlove: -- I know they're super coney but my hair loves cones and being so fine and fragile I never seem to have an issue with build up.

i alternate between the Kerastase Nutritive and Resistance ranges,
every couple of washes put on Ciment Thermique and lightly apply heat (the only time I ever apply heat to my hair is to activate the ciment thermique) in between washes ill use the Chroma Riche gentle sls free cleanser (it's 1/4 cleanser and 3/4 conditioner, my hair loves it if it's not too dirty otherwise it just ends up greasier)

I admittedly put some manuka honey into their masques for the added softness it gives me.
and their Initialiste scalp serum have me tons of baby hairs and stronger growth however I'm currently experimenting with more natural and hopefully cheaper alternatives that will give me the same result.

I've used garner fructis and cheaper brands before but have never gotten results as good as I get from Kerastase.

anyone else agree/disagree? Share your experiences! :rockerdud

xx

sourgrl
November 8th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Bumble and Bumble. Love the shine I get with it, not surprising with all it's cones. If I was still heat styling my hair I'd use their line exclusively. Nothing worked as well as bumble when I was heat styling my hair. Unfortually the cones weigh down my hair and the glycerin in it causes major poof that can only be tamed with heat.

I'll splurge on the hair and skin care stuff if it works for me. It's an investment of sorts. If I take good care of my skin and hair now it will look better for it 10-20 years from now. And since I'm not a label shopping kind of girl when it comes to clothes and other things any excessive cost spent on my hair is often over looked by the spouse. That said, I love finding a cheap and simple way of pampering my hair. Like $10 for a jar of coconut oil that will last me at least a year.

Any one try AG cosmetics line? I've been wanting to try their fast food line..

vanillabones
November 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Pantene Ice Shine is my hair's dirty little secret... I haven't used it in like a year though I have way too many bottles of conditioners to use up :guns:
All through my teens I used expensive hair products and I thought the more you spent the better quality you get. I was completely wrong and would never even dream of buying salon products again. A v05 conditioner, sls free shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and a variety of cone and non cone conditioners is more than I need and I probably spend less on all of that than I did on a pair of expensive s&c. One of the best things I learned here is to not let the media/society brain wash you about your hair.

YamaMaya
November 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Burts Bees isn't "high end" per se, but it is quite expensive, and the one thing I miss about the states is the wide range of products. Here in the UK they only sell their stuff in Holland and Barrett (aka overpriced health nut store) and it's not much beyond the lip balm (though I do love the lip balm and it is what inroduced me to the brand :) )

jeanniet
November 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I can't think of any high-end salon products I've particularly liked. I do like Curl Junkie products; those are about $20 a bottle, which I wouldn't exactly call luxury items, but not on the lower end of the price spectrum. But go figure, I just found out that VO5 Strawberries and Cream is an excellent leave in for my hair. In fact, it's worked so well I can get great curls without any other products. This is a big surprise, because I've used VO5 to CO wash in the past and it hasn't worked that well.

Kwantslonghair
November 8th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I have cheap hair. I have bought so many magic potion hair products. Expensive ones. I always go back to the cheap dollar bottles of suave shampoo and dove conditioner. This girl is done with the hocus pocus promises. My wallet will like that.

Temme
November 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think salon brand products are that much better. They're probably a bit better, but I still think they're over-priced. One thing about name brand products though is that you know they will be (fairly) good quality, whereas with an unknown brand it may be great or it may be a bad product. I try not to buy things that I feel are very overpriced if I could get the same thing for less, and I think there are a lot of conditioners you can get at the drug store that are just as good as salon products, so I stay away from the expensive stuff. I buy GVP Conditioning Balm at Sally's, which is a knock-off of Biolage Conditioning Balm and a whole lot cheaper.

bunnylake
November 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I've used salon and drug store products and so far I don't think one is any better than the other.

starlamelissa
November 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Aren't we in a recession?

ravenreed
November 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
The only thing I splurge on is oils. Pure argon and camellia can be quite pricey. Otherwise, my hair prefers Suave and so does my pocketbook.

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
If there are truly non salon products that can give me salon product quality results.. I am yet to find them. :(

Other than my beloved coconut oil of course!

vanillabones
November 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Haha recession... go to the mall and count the Mercedes/Cadillacs. I can't even find a parking space. :disgust:

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM
The only thing I splurge on is oils. Pure argon and camellia can be quite pricey. Otherwise, my hair prefers Suave and so does my pocketbook.

I get my camellia oil straight from japan from a very lovely ebay seller for $20. His kid even sends me an origami animal that he folded in the package. :) however I've found camellia oil absorbs into my skin with great ease but doesn't work as well on my ends. :/

Anje
November 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I have cheap hair. I have bought so many magic potion hair products. Expensive ones. I always go back to the cheap dollar bottles of suave shampoo and dove conditioner. This girl is done with the hocus pocus promises. My wallet will like that.
I'm the same. I've had more trouble with my hair and scalp using the supposedly better products. But if my hair's a cheapskate, who am I to complain?

Madora
November 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I've been using the George Michal Salon's Pink Creme Shampoo since 1982. Costly $21.00 for 16 oz..but I dilute it. Terrific stuff! That's my only luxury. I use as little product as possible on my hair.

Crumpet
November 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I would love to spurge at a George Michael long hair salon someday. It would be interesting to go to a salon that knows how to take care of my hair. I've been happy to say goodbye to other salons...usually its Helga's House of Pain with my fine hair at those places...shivers!

As far as product goes, there are no high-end products that I want. I looked at some today out of curiosity and wasn't tempted.

Madora
November 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Crumpet;2560057]I would love to spurge at a George Michael long hair salon someday. It would be interesting to go to a salon that knows how to take care of my hair.QUOTE]

I hope you have that pleasure, Crumpet! It is an unforgetable experience!

shola-faye
November 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
The Moroccan oil line :-)

Hootenanny
November 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I've been using the George Michal Salon's Pink Creme Shampoo since 1982. Costly $21.00 for 16 oz..but I dilute it. Terrific stuff! That's my only luxury. I use as little product as possible on my hair.

Madora, where can one purchase this shampoo? I've looked online and I can't find anything. Does it have to be purchased at a salon?

Kelli Kat
November 8th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I don't like salon products at all. I use organic products that I buy at Sprouts. So there really isn't anything I would get that I don't already get.

Pamala513
November 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I read a lot of members use suave, vo5 ect. Are tey really old for your hair vs organics! I also heard Pantene will coat your scalp with something making hair fall out, any truth to these things based in te experience here?

vanillabones
November 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I read a lot of members use suave, vo5 ect. Are tey really old for your hair vs organics! I also heard Pantene will coat your scalp with something making hair fall out, any truth to these things based in te experience here?

Pantene has never harmed my hair. I have never used their shampoos though and probably won't. I have used 2 bottles of Pantene Ice Shine in my process of growing out my hair and I love it. I'm going to buy it again once I'm out of conditioner. I also don't use it on my scalp. Conditioner on my scalp = greasy and extra shedding. I tried to condition only wash with v05 for a week once and it was a nightmare my hair shed heavily.

jeanniet
November 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM
It's really better to shop by ingredients anyway, rather than label or price. That's actually why I bought that particular VO5 in the first place, because I was looking for something with plenty of fatty alcohols.

sarahthegemini
November 8th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Tbh the only 'luxury' hair item I have is my wooden fine-ish tooth comb which cost about Ł17 on sale.

Buddaphlyy
November 8th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I am a major fan of the now discontinued Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat. It was the best deep conditioner ever. Worked great as a leave-in too. The Diamond Oil line was supposed to replace it, but there is no comparison. I also got a sample of Caudelie Divine oil hat I used in my hair and it was indeed divine. Smelled good, smoothed through my hair nicely, and gave me incredible shine. But at $49 for 3.4 oz, it's majorly out of my budget right now. I really want to try Kerastase and Joico products in the future.

I don't think salon brands are any better or worse than drugstore or natural products. I use what I like and can afford. I think if one has the money to use salon brands exclusively and it's working for their hair, then go for it.

BrightEyes
November 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I love Pureology Hydrate shampoo and conditioner, as well as the Hydracure Masque in the same line. I also like Aveda's Damage Remedy line. I always get wonderful results using these products. I do highlight and color my hair, so I have to deal with some damage and dryness. I feel like these products really meet my hair's moisture and protein needs.

I do get some of them at a discount with my stylist license. They are pretty pricey even then, but they last a long time. I would probably still get them without a discount. Yep, I love them that much :crush:

Anje
November 8th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Well, I don't do very well with protein or silicone in my products, so most fancy brands are automatically eliminated. I don't care for Pantene for that reason, but if your hair likes silicones, it's decent stuff.

jacqueline101
November 8th, 2013, 05:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. I tried the hair plus shampoo and conditioner. I got no growth but spend 30 dollars for the set. Ive used dove shampoo set and mane n tail. I liked them just as well as vo5 and I buy mine for .69 cents at my local store. I'm done with the promises of wonderful hair if I rub or smear this product on my head.

battles
November 8th, 2013, 05:14 PM
;) So much for a luxury haircare thread.

AmyBeth
November 8th, 2013, 05:36 PM
We just don't buy it, literally or figuratively. I have tried Kerastase and I liked it. I've tried Pantene and I liked it. I've tried coconut oil and ACV from the grocery store and I liked them. Everyone has to pick and choose products that work for them, regardless of price. I would not buy an expensive brand just because it is more expensive, when an inexpensive brand works just as well.

Foxylocks
November 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I don't think salon products are worth it. For me, Suave, Pantene, Herbal Essences, etc, works just as well if not better than salon products. I'll always be using the cheap brands.

Neptune
November 8th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Ojon's Restorative Hair Serum! Pricey, but I love how soft it makes my hair, and there seems to be less damage when I use it consistently (every night, on the ends).

Heh, and I shouldn't admit this (especially in a recession!!) but I will... :o

My other super guilty hair splurge is LongLocks hairsticks. I've bought two sets, one made with vintage Swarovski sun crystals, and the other with Emerald gemstones. They're gooorgeous, and very luxurious hehe. I love wearing the emeralds in my hair!! :happydance:

prettyinpink
November 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I'm cheap. What I consider to be high end is tresemme naturals. (which is amazing, by the way) But honestly, I think spending more than $5 on a product is just silly. Expensive dosent necessarily mean better

Crumpet
November 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Crumpet;2560057]I would love to spurge at a George Michael long hair salon someday. It would be interesting to go to a salon that knows how to take care of my hair.QUOTE]

I hope you have that pleasure, Crumpet! It is an unforgetable experience!

I'm going to give it a go one of these days for sure! I'm glad to hear its worth it from someone I trust!

SunlightShines
November 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I love Sally's Biotera Color Care Shampoo. I don't dye my hair, but I don't think it really matters. My hair feels so great after using it. And it is one of the few shampoos that don't irritate my scalp.

gonzobird
November 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Rahua shampoo and conditioner, Lulu Organics, Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic shampoo; and the luxe line, Yarok, John Masters Organics everything, Label M Organic lemongrass, JustNaturals shampoos, conditioners, the detangler, Hamadi,....

I've bought Phillip Kinsley elasticizer, that was probably the most expensive "high end" thing, and it helped when my hair was a bit damaged....

Theres plenty of other "high end" chemical laden coney things that I don't care how "high end" they are, I think high end is something that works and isn't harmful to your body.

Madora
November 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Madora, where can one purchase this shampoo? I've looked online and I can't find anything. Does it have to be purchased at a salon?

I'm only familiar with ENCHANTRESS, a GM affiliated salon in Ohio:

http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

I've purchased products from them on line and have been pleased with their service. The original GM salon on Madison Avenue, NYC only sells by snail mail. I don't know if the GM salon in Beverly Hills, CA sells via email or not

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Rahua shampoo and conditioner, Lulu Organics, Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic shampoo; and the luxe line, Yarok, John Masters Organics everything, Label M Organic lemongrass, JustNaturals shampoos, conditioners, the detangler, Hamadi,....

I've bought Phillip Kinsley elasticizer, that was probably the most expensive "high end" thing, and it helped when my hair was a bit damaged....

Theres plenty of other "high end" chemical laden coney things that I don't care how "high end" they are, I think high end is something that works and isn't harmful to your body.

I've heard great things about the elasticizer from PK, as well as the rest of his range though haven't tried it..

CurlyCap
November 8th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I buy things I don't "need".

Technically, I guess I could get away with a cheap co-wash and olive oil.

Instead, my bathroom has every type of oil I could conceive of wanting, and I browsed today for a rosewater.

So I guess my luxury is buying things just because I want them or want to try them...not necessarily because they are expensive.

However, I am learning that I need to be veeeeeeery careful with hairtoys. OMG, talk about the urge to splurge!

jeanniet
November 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I am a major fan of the now discontinued Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat. It was the best deep conditioner ever. Worked great as a leave-in too. The Diamond Oil line was supposed to replace it, but there is no comparison. I also got a sample of Caudelie Divine oil hat I used in my hair and it was indeed divine. Smelled good, smoothed through my hair nicely, and gave me incredible shine. But at $49 for 3.4 oz, it's majorly out of my budget right now. I really want to try Kerastase and Joico products in the future.

I don't think salon brands are any better or worse than drugstore or natural products. I use what I like and can afford. I think if one has the money to use salon brands exclusively and it's working for their hair, then go for it.

I do have the Joico chelating shampoo and like it very much, so that's one salon product I do like. I only use it 2-3 times a year, though, so a bottle goes a long way. I don't consider that an extravagance at all because we have well water and sometimes I really do need a good chelating.

HintOfMint
November 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I remember how much I enjoyed Redken shampoos and conditioners and I've been considering indulging myself again.

I do however allow myself one regular indulgence with my holy grail leave-in, Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme which runs about 20 dollars. It's a bit steep for a leave-in but it's the best I've ever tried, at least in the non-winter months. Now that the weather has gotten cold and dry, I'm thinking of switching to Aveda's anti-humectant pomade, which I also tried years ago and really liked.

Another indulgence is Toadstool's deep conditioners. They come in so many different scents and they're just divine. I particularly adore Blue Lilac. With shipping, it comes to close to 20 dollars, so it's not something I like to purchase too often.

Sillage
November 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I like Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray which isn't that high end at $25 a bottle but I believe it's the most expensive hair product I own. I do have Caudalie Divine Oil but it is way way too heavy for my hair (makes a nice body oil tho). In the past I've used Living Proof shampoos and conditioners, Phytojojoba shampoo, and Ojon shampoo, conditioner, and Damage Reverse Serum but haven't found them to be that great. Oh and I have Oscar Blandi Jasmine Protein Mist which is ok... mostly I just use it for the smell.

Any one try AG cosmetics line? I've been wanting to try their fast food line..

Yes, I have their Fast Food leave in and I don't like it all. I was really disappointed because it sounded like it was going to be awesome but wasn't.

curlsgalore
November 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM

I'm not Madora, but maybe here (http://madoralonghair.com/products-page/shampoo)?

curlsgalore
November 9th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I can't think of any high-end salon products I've particularly liked. I do like Curl Junkie products; those are about $20 a bottle, which I wouldn't exactly call luxury items, but not on the lower end of the price spectrum. But go figure, I just found out that VO5 Strawberries and Cream is an excellent leave in for my hair. In fact, it's worked so well I can get great curls without any other products. This is a big surprise, because I've used VO5 to CO wash in the past and it hasn't worked that well.

I will have to try this. When using only conditoner as a leave-in/styler I've only had success with Tresseme Naturals but I will pick up some of the VO5 strawberries and cream today :). Otherwise, I use gel, lots of it. I use mostly inexpensive products for my hair but do have a few favorites that may be considered "high end/luxury". Really, I can get about the same results with either. My favorites are kinky curly curling custard, Darcy's botanicals pumpkin seed conditioner, curl junkie conditioners, devacurl no-Poo and curly hair solutions treatment shampoo (plus coconut oil). These products do last me a long time so that's why I don't mind paying more for them. Everything else I can buy locally; LA Looks sports gel, VO5 conditioners, Suave, Tresseme, sallys volumax gel and more.

lapushka
November 9th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I think if I could splurge, I'd be hooked on "Jessicurl" products. Too sad they're so expensive, and I mean about 15 dollars a bottle.

curlsgalore
November 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I think if I could splurge, I'd be hooked on "Jessicurl" products. Too sad they're so expensive, and I mean about 15 dollars a bottle.

I don't know where you're located but you can buy Jessicurl products from aveyou.com. They ship fast and almost always have a 15% off coupon ("FIVE" was working for a long time). Shipping is $5 for under a $50 order and $1 for over $50. This is for the US but I believe they ship international as well (of course shipping will be more).

sourgrl
November 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Thank you for your input on AG, Sillage :0)

VJG
November 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
This year, I've begun getting my hair trimmed at Aveda every three months, and I love how my hair feels for the days after. I know many folk here really hate Aveda and letting others trim their hair, though. :shrug:

AmyBeth
November 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
If I could splurge, I'd really like to try the Morrocco Method products. I find that I am drawn to the more natural products, and the more I go natural, the better my hair. Morrocco Method products are all natural, organic, and vegan (crucial for me). But they are also insanely expensive! So I prowl the hair care aisles at the natural food stores. I've already tried shampoo bars which are very affordable, but didn't work so well for me.:(

Morphidae
November 9th, 2013, 12:08 PM

I have to agree... Oils are pretty much expensive in my area, even coconut oil is around 8 for 14 oz of it. And a small 1 Oz bottle of Neem or Lavender oil is around 20. So I only allow myself to splurge in my favorite oils and my hair loves it.

lapushka
November 9th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know where you're located but you can buy Jessicurl products from aveyou.com. They ship fast and almost always have a 15% off coupon ("FIVE" was working for a long time). Shipping is $5 for under a $50 order and $1 for over $50. This is for the US but I believe they ship international as well (of course shipping will be more).

Thanks for telling me, but it's still *way* too expensive for me, even then. Thanks anyway! :flower:

TheHowlingWolf
November 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I LOVE the smell of Oribe products! I've only used a shampoo and it was nothing special tbh. Their products have sulfates/cones in them so I don't want to use them...plus they're really expensive for the amount you get.

Wildcat Diva
November 9th, 2013, 03:59 PM

You've sold a wavy girl. I'm going to give it a try. Can't hurt, right?

jeanniet
November 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I will have to try this. When using only conditoner as a leave-in/styler I've only had success with Tresseme Naturals but I will pick up some of the VO5 strawberries and cream today :). Otherwise, I use gel, lots of it. I use mostly inexpensive products for my hair but do have a few favorites that may be considered "high end/luxury". Really, I can get about the same results with either. My favorites are kinky curly curling custard, Darcy's botanicals pumpkin seed conditioner, curl junkie conditioners, devacurl no-Poo and curly hair solutions treatment shampoo (plus coconut oil). These products do last me a long time so that's why I don't mind paying more for them. Everything else I can buy locally; LA Looks sports gel, VO5 conditioners, Suave, Tresseme, sallys volumax gel and more.

You've sold a wavy girl. I'm going to give it a try. Can't hurt, right?

Bear in mind I've only tried the VO5 once, so I'll have to see if I can duplicate the results. I did use quite a lot, too--I'd say a good 3 tablespoons for SL hair (but iii). I washed last night and tried using Darcy's as a leave in with not nearly as good results, although to be fair I was somewhat skimpy with the Darcy's. It's too expensive to use gobs of it! I do love it as a conditioner/detangler, though.

ETA: At a buck a bottle, it's about the cheapest of my experiments, so it's not going to set you back much to try it out.

curlsgalore
November 9th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you jeanniet. It's worth a try.

Lyv
November 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM
On one hand I'm super cheap w/ shampoo/conditioner and use Vo5 and Tresemme Naturals but on the other hand I love Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse dry oil which is like $50 for 100ml and Orofluido Elixir which is about half the price of the dry oil for the same amount. They aren't something I use frequently because of the price but they're nice to have on a day of pampering :o

r00ski
November 9th, 2013, 06:52 PM

On one hand I'm super cheap w/ shampoo/conditioner and use Vo5 and Tresemme Naturals but on the other hand I love Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse dry oil which is like $50 for 100ml and Orofluido Elixir which is about half the price of the dry oil for the same amount. They aren't something I use frequently because of the price but they're nice to have on a day of pampering :o

What is 'dry oil' ??

Lyv
November 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM
What is 'dry oil' ??

It's a really light oil that moisturizes but it doesn't leave that really greasy feeling. If you were to put it on your skin it would feel more satiny and soft than slick and oily.

Hootenanny
November 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Thank you Madora and curlsgalore for your answers! :)

Sillage
November 9th, 2013, 08:37 PM
It's a really light oil that moisturizes but it doesn't leave that really greasy feeling. If you were to put it on your skin it would feel more satiny and soft than slick and oily.

A lot of times dry oils will contain things like Isoamyl Cocoate or Ethylhexyl Palmitate to help contribute to that soft, fast absorbing, non greasy feeling. Caudalie's Divine Oil is a good example. It's formulated with mostly grape and sesame seed oils and then the Isoamyl Cocoate and Ethylhexyl Palmitate for the right skin feel.

gonzobird
November 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Just had to pipe in I used some of my Leonor Greyl loot tonight.:)

Maktub
November 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
If I had any amount of money to spend frivolously on my hair ... I'd love to experience a "all natural" hair spa of some sort with deep treatments from natural plants and oils (does that exist ?), very high quality hair scissors to trimm, a patient person to s & d the back of my head, year round of all the most healthy foods I can find and scalp massages anytime I want etc. to relax... all those things are sort of "for hair" right ? :D

gonzobird
November 9th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Maktub..... john masters organics salons. Not even hairspray is allowed
;)

gonzobird
November 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM
There's just one I think.... in New York.

chen bao jun
November 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
To me, its a luxury to use pure oils and butters, as someone above stated.
I'd rather use some pure argan oil than a treatment that is marketed as 'high end' but has very little of the real deal in it.
vo5 conditioners work better to clean my hair and it looks better than any high end shampoo I ever tried, but people's hair is different.

meteor
November 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I have tried many Kerastase products and they just don't work for me (even though I love cones).
I liked what Pureology shampoo did for my hair, but I found out that it's super-concentrated, which is not what I want for my hair.

MoroccanOil line is OK, especially the "deep treatment argan oil", but I prefer pure argan oil and camellia oil.

My favourite "luxury" products are various essential oils and sea kelp bioferment, but a little goes a very long way, so they are quite affordable in the long run.

monsoonstorm
November 10th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I used to have kerastase treatments at my salon, however, I have a feeling they are what contributed to my protein overload. Can't be sure, but I just remember thinking one day after the treatment that my hair felt crunchier than normal, it certainly didn't feel "treated". It was actually that treatment that brought me to this site. I started trying to find out what the heck had happened to my hair, I coloured it but never really used heat. It had gone from the usual frizz that comes with not realising that you're curly and should lay off the brush, to a crunchy tangly mess. I haven't had one of their treatments since.

I'll stick to oil.

Cheyne
November 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I'm using As I Am Coconut CoWash right now. I like the product, it gets my scalp clean but doesn't dry the ends. I bought it online for $8. for 16 oz., so not exactly high end :o. I spend my money on pure Argan oil. A little goes a long way. I use it for my hair and skin.

Tail Feathers
November 10th, 2013, 04:24 PM
my only luxury items are two mehandi horn combs-
they were worth every penny, though.

swearnsue
November 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
My favorite conditioner is Yes to Carrots, a large bottle was about $8. Pure argan oil, $25, rosewater spritz about $9 a bottle. I'm tempted to try the George Michael pink shampoo that Madora uses. Her hair looks so good and she's been using that shampoo since the 80's so it's gotta be good stuff.

It would be nice to have one shampoo instead of 7!

earthybee
November 10th, 2013, 06:14 PM
My favorite deep conditioner is macadamia natural oil deep repair mask it works wonders.

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Is a bone comb and other exotic hair tools considered hair luxury?

I mean 'bone' anything just sounds luxurious :bigeyes: and if I got one I'd feel like a goddess using it

are they superior to plastic? slash good for fine fragile hair?

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Also been considering buying the salon kerastase treatments to do myself at home ($50 a go at a salon vs $200 for a packet of 15 vials) primarily the protein ones because I've heard models swear by it for strengthening and repairing hair. The softening ones I've found (like aqua oleum) are just super cones that coat your hair for a few days giving it baby softness but goes away relatively quickly. Coconut oil and honey in my masques gives me better softness tbh!

Sillage
November 10th, 2013, 07:16 PM
They aren't that expensive so I wouldn't consider them a luxury, but I would consider something like a Mason Pearson brush a luxury since it's over $100.

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 07:20 PM
mm.. Mason Pearson. always have my little guy in my handbag.

GrowingGlory
November 10th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I loved my bone comb. It was luxurious and practical.

Blond On Blond
November 10th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Alterna, Ojon, and Phyto products. Not really luxury, I save that for my skin care and makeup ;) but still on the expensive side. As with many other (either high- or lower-end) brands, some products worked great, some not so great.

clioariane
November 11th, 2013, 02:20 AM
I also love Kérastase and am currently using the Nutritive line which gives me great results.

sourgrl
November 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I love that horn and wood combs can look luxurious but cost practically nothing. I agree a mason pearson would be a luxury buy.

RitaCeleste
November 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I just ordered 8oz of pure emu oil for my skin and hair. I got it here http://ginnyscajunstore.net/australian.htm , it was under $30 just barely. I also ordered macidamia nut oil, high oelic sunflower oil, and apricot kernal oil with samples of emu and squalane. I picked up a few things I'd need to make lotion with it too and I was at $74 with shipping from Camden-Grey. I ofcourse tried the squalane on my hair, wow! Its $21 for 7oz. Hmmm. My hair was drinking up all these oils pretty bad, I soaked it in coconut oil and used a ton of pantene to get the oil off it (well most of the oil). This thread makes my "over-spending" look like childs play! Thanks everyone. I needed to know I'm not evil for spendingsome money on myself. I also bought stuff to make my own mineral makeup while I was at it. I spend money, it is a luxury to have the best stuff even if you are all into MYO products. I also have books coming about making hair and skin care products.

Emanuelle
November 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Kinky Curly Knot Today <3 It's too expensive for me to use regularly, but I have to have a bottle in my stash for when I have a tangle-emergency! Best detangler I know :)

vanillabones
November 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I do have to say pureology, alterna, and redken are good salon products but I don't know why you'd want to spend/waste that much money, they are costly!

r00ski
November 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Never heard of alterna, though I know Redken is Kerastase's main competition.. Does Joico K-pak count as luxury I wonder?

vanillabones
November 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Alterna is lighter and smells really good and I used Redken when I was blonde and loved them but would find it unnecessary now.

Sillage
November 11th, 2013, 08:33 PM
R00ski, Alterna does a really nice dry oil mist (http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-kendi-oil-dry-oil-mist-P278004?icid2=Alterna_Must_Haves_Carousel_P278004_ image). $25 for a 4.2 oz bottle so not really high end. I use it as a glossing mist for my canopy and it does a good job. Smells nice too.

Buddaphlyy
November 11th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Never heard of alterna, though I know Redken is Kerastase's main competition.. Does Joico K-pak count as luxury I wonder?

If I have to go to a specialty store and spend more than $1/oz of product, I consider it luxury. Joico is sold at Ulta and salons so I consider it luxury.

hanne jensen
November 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I use Joco KPack poo and conditioner in the summer. I also use their split repair serum. In the fall and winter I use pure argon oil. This past winter I used Nioxin products. Now I use Nioxin once a month.

clioariane
November 15th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I really want to try Alterna's caviar line!

carrielynn
November 15th, 2013, 05:20 AM
I try to stick with cheaper shampoo and conditioner (like Tresemme) so I feel better spending a little more on things like styling products (leave in or gels - I'm a wavy/curly) or oils. Anything over $10 is a luxury for me. :) Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly, a few Deva things have caught my eye but I haven't dipped into it yet.

clioariane
October 28th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Has anyone here tried Oribe? I'm almost out of my Bumble & Bumble and am torn between the Kérastase Nutritive line (tried & tested favorite) or splurging on Oribe's Signature shampoo & conditioner.

PinkyCat
October 28th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I am madly in love with Frederic Fekkai Essential Shea line. That's my iron-clad HG - although the other Fekkai lines are extremely fabulous also. I imagine thats what it smells like in heaven...

lady mechanic
October 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Redkin total control deep moisturizer and redkin extreme anti snap.i just can't live without them!

Chocowalnut
October 28th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I definitely am one to splurge on hair care products. I love Pink Sugar hair perfume.. and from Sally's I love the Hair One line (supposed to be like the Wen) and Hask macadamia oil deep conditioner. And I always gravitate towards expensive salon products like redken, biosilk, chi, bedhead, etc. I love good smelling shampoos/conditioners!

Chiaroscuro
October 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I'm thrilled with most Shu Uemera products I've tried--the Moisture Velvet shampoo ($65) is especially gentle on my hair and the Ultimate Remedy and Moisure Velvet masques are worth the $85 to me. I sometimes like to splurge since I avoid salons. Having said that, I just found by accident a $7.99 shampoo that might be equally as gentle, and SMTs can be great.

Eastbound&Down
October 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I love Biolage when I can afford it. Luckily enough, a little goes a long way and the big bottles last a while but HE and VO5 work just fine :)

minaa
October 29th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I use Nature's Gate herbal shampoo (somewhat reasonable at $5.50 or so a pop on amazon) for my scalp and once-or-so monthly full washes, but splurge on 2chic argan/brazilian keratin conditioner (cleanses the length without drying it out too much). I love oils, including avocado (I picked up refined recently, but read that virgin is best--I might go to Whole Foods and pick that up just for good measure).

Copasetic
October 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
If I had more money to spend on hair products, I would probably buy the entire line of Kinky Curly products. KCCC alone costs around $50 for me. Other than that I am not sure. I haven't even tried very many high end products. I might go to Sephora and pick at random to see what works.

lapushka
October 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM
The only expensive thing I have in my "collection" (yes, we'll call it that ;)) is the Chi Silk Infusion oil. It, for some reason, does not even compete with my IC Fantasia serums. Not one bit. The Chi gets goopier the more you try and finish the bottle (it clings to everything) and you have to clean out the top of the bottle so much.

prettigurl
February 28th, 2015, 07:55 AM
My favorite high end brand is Kerastase. I have the Chroma Riche bain and masque, Oleo Relax Masque and 2 of the ciment thermal leave ins. I also have a pre shampoo treatment and Ultime bain. I love how these products melt into my strands like butter on bread.

Safira
February 28th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I love Frederic Fekkai Protein conditioner, but they dont make it anymore :/ But I have now new HG and it's Redken Diamond Oil. I love this conditioner and it's been my favourite since I bought it. I guess I use expencive conditioners, like Lanza, Joico, Kerastase or so on. And I also use KeraCare SuperReconstructor. My hair loves keratin and I can use SuperReconstruckter twice a week and my hair just enjoys. But on the otherwise, I don't go to bars, I usually don't go out to eat, and don't do anything else beauty things so I guess this is my way to pamper myself.

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Yup, I'm a luxury product buyer. I just bought a $50 Kérastase mousse that I LOVE. I am going to do a post on that product b/c it has done such wonderful things for my fine hair.

I have no problem spending on high-end products.... as long as they work and do a better job than other, less expensive products.

I've used everything... Kérastase, Fekkai, Rene Furterer.... you name it, I've used it. Right now I am using the PHD line by Living Proof. However, if I'm spending money on a product, I have to love it. I was using a $40 rinse out conditioner by Kérastase for a long time then found that a much less expensive conditioner by Biolage did a better job. So I happily switched. I was using a $60-$70 mask by Kérastase that I replaced with a mask that was half the price and did a comparative job.

I haven't tried any homemade products, however I did recently organic products as well as pre-conditioning my hair with coconut oil... neither of which worked for me.

endlessly
February 28th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I think I've tried every drugstore brand on the market as well as quite a few high-end brands, but I just didn't see the results I wanted for my hair. On a spur-of-the-moment trip to Mall of America last year, a friend introduced me to Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics and I immediately fell in love. My first two purchases were a shampoo bar called Godiva and a deep conditioner called Retread. Now, in the past, I'd always had the mindset that "more is better" when it comes to using liquid shampoos and conditioners, but that definitely is not the case for Lush at all. I used to shampoo my entire head - roots all the way down to the ends every. single. day. And, I used to use about a full cup of conditioner because that's the only way I could detangle. Again, not true with Lush. When I first started using my shampoo bar, I couldn't get it to suds up and I ended up using the entire thing in 3 weeks - huge disappointment. The deep conditioner was a lot runnier than my normal deep conditioner and without any of the silicones so forget about trying to detangle in the shower because I couldn't even get my wide-toothed comb through my rat's nest of hair. But, once I stepped out and my hair had dried, it was amazing. No tangles or knots, it was soft, silky, and incredibly shiny - we're talking shampoo commercial hair here people. It was pretty remarkable.

Since my first experience, I've continued to use their products exclusively because they honestly work the best for my hair. I love the fragrance and the way they make me feel - very pampered, so every hair washing is like a trip to the spa. And we're talking real fragrance, not the synthetic stuff either. If it says "jasmine", it smells like fresh-picked jasmine. And while the company is definitely what I would consider to be high-end because of the price tags, I use so much less compared to what I used to with my tried and failed brands, that they've lasted me nearly four times as long. So, in the end, I'm saving myself money by buying high-end because I'm not running through it as fast.

I used to be 100% focused on my hair - washing and conditioning excessively, styling daily, etc. - and I honestly believed I was taking care of it at the time. In the last year, I've taken a very lazy approach to my hair by only washing it when necessary, combing it only to detangle, and rarely styling it in anything else besides braids and my hair has become radically healthier. So, switching to high-end for me helped me to go easy on my hair and since I want my expensive products to last, I have to let them do their job and let my hair do what it's meant to do versus forcing it.

missblueeyes
March 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Oh, if I had the money for it, I'd only use Petritsch products but they're not really includable in my student's budget plan. Petritsch is not super high end like Kérastase but their products are made in Austria and I've never been let down by them. I think I might treat myself to some once my bleached ends are fully grown out and I have a full head of virgin hair to work with.

teddygirl
March 2nd, 2015, 05:25 PM
Ojon <3 I'd almost buy it just for the scent.

rina06
March 2nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
I dabble in and out of using luxury hair care. I've bought serums such as the Moroccan Oil branded argan oil (which lasted me 3 years) and I'm currently using the Muk spa vesrion that is without the cones.

It doesnt necessarily need to be salon products, but I enjoy the feeling of pampering so once in a while I do splurge. I tend to stick with hair styling products and conditioner though, not shampoo.

Soulina
March 2nd, 2015, 10:29 PM
My hair does not like expensive saloon products, and I have tried some ridiculously expensive stuff. But it also would see my hair does not like normal shampoo & conditioner anyway.

But if money would not be issue I would get gallons of rosewater and other nice smelling stuff to put on my hair. Also I would try all kinds of natural shampoo bars sense my hair seems to love them. And silk sleeping hat thingy would also be mine :3

Auni
March 12th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I think I've tried every drugstore brand on the market as well as quite a few high-end brands, but I just didn't see the results I wanted for my hair. On a spur-of-the-moment trip to Mall of America last year, a friend introduced me to Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics and I immediately fell in love. My first two purchases were a shampoo bar called Godiva and a deep conditioner called Retread. Now, in the past, I'd always had the mindset that "more is better" when it comes to using liquid shampoos and conditioners, but that definitely is not the case for Lush at all. I used to shampoo my entire head - roots all the way down to the ends every. single. day. And, I used to use about a full cup of conditioner because that's the only way I could detangle. Again, not true with Lush. When I first started using my shampoo bar, I couldn't get it to suds up and I ended up using the entire thing in 3 weeks - huge disappointment. The deep conditioner was a lot runnier than my normal deep conditioner and without any of the silicones so forget about trying to detangle in the shower because I couldn't even get my wide-toothed comb through my rat's nest of hair. But, once I stepped out and my hair had dried, it was amazing. No tangles or knots, it was soft, silky, and incredibly shiny - we're talking shampoo commercial hair here people. It was pretty remarkable.

Since my first experience, I've continued to use their products exclusively because they honestly work the best for my hair. I love the fragrance and the way they make me feel - very pampered, so every hair washing is like a trip to the spa. And we're talking real fragrance, not the synthetic stuff either. If it says "jasmine", it smells like fresh-picked jasmine. And while the company is definitely what I would consider to be high-end because of the price tags, I use so much less compared to what I used to with my tried and failed brands, that they've lasted me nearly four times as long. So, in the end, I'm saving myself money by buying high-end because I'm not running through it as fast.

I used to be 100% focused on my hair - washing and conditioning excessively, styling daily, etc. - and I honestly believed I was taking care of it at the time. In the last year, I've taken a very lazy approach to my hair by only washing it when necessary, combing it only to detangle, and rarely styling it in anything else besides braids and my hair has become radically healthier. So, switching to high-end for me helped me to go easy on my hair and since I want my expensive products to last, I have to let them do their job and let my hair do what it's meant to do versus forcing it.
Oh LUSH!!! It's probably a good thing the MOA is 3 hours away or else I'd have all their hair products! My first shampoo bar was godiva, just beautiful!! My splurge is Fairly traded honey...D-VINE!! I've wanted to try retread, but am still getting through Happy Happy Joy Joy...MMMM:blossom: I feel like a princess when I use their products, so decadent and pampered!! Have you tried their bath products? My hair is amazing after I wash it in the tub (yup, like a mermaid, because mermaids would SO use lush!!), with a bath bomb, poo bar and condish. The products are pricey and I only use them when I want to feel totally empowered. Otherwise, it's pantene for me daily!

Rosetta
March 12th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor is one of the best products I've ever used - that stuff's miraculous (for my hair at least). :cloud9: But it's so expensive that I can't justify such a splurge these days (unless I come across an ebay bargain or something). I remember I also used to love Redken All Soft conditioner years ago, it was wonderful for my hair too.

It's interesting, as I usually go by ingredients, too, but there just seems to be a magic something in these high end products that works...! ;) (At least in the above mentioned ones.)

And on this topic, today I just managed to find an almost full bottle of Bonacure Oil Miracle finishing treatment in a charity shop for 80 cents (the retail price being around 20 euros)... :D

Doreen
March 12th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I have yet to buy any luxury products for myself but a while ago I got a 1oz sample of the Living Proof No Frizz leave-in and I really liked the way it worked to keep the midsection of my hair tangle-free without weighing it down weirdly. On the other hand, it did not do much for the ends (effects wore off by the end of the day on them) but I guess that's the trade-off of being lightweight. I would use a pea-size or less each time and that small tube lasted a little over a year! Still I don't know if I could ever justify its price to buy it for myself ($36 for 8oz, which isn't outrageously expensive but still not in my budget).

I also got a tub of the Macadamia Natural Oil hair mask as a gift and have been using it once or twice a month. I know so many people love it I don't think it's any better than drugstore! As a matter of fact, I think those $2 packets from Hask have better effects. It is a good product, but I think it is overhyped.

renia22
November 7th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Anyone using luxury hair care these days? I finally got a chance to stop by Nordstrom’s and try the Oribe Texturizing Spray that I’ve heard so much about, and really liked it. Thinking of buying it after I use some other things up. Usually I’m happy with my Herbal Essences or Pantene, but this stuff is lovely..

littlestarface
November 7th, 2018, 05:34 PM
If I had the funds I would go for oribe, ojon,matrix and Kerastase those are like amazing products. I love and use CHI I cant ever find anything better.

nycelle
November 7th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Anyone using luxury hair care these days? I finally got a chance to stop by Nordstrom’s and try the Oribe Texturizing Spray that I’ve heard so much about, and really liked it. Thinking of buying it after I use some other things up. Usually I’m happy with my Herbal Essences or Pantene, but this stuff is lovely..

Oh girl.. you opened up a can of worms for me.
Regarding Oribe- I tried their shampoo and conditioner last year sometime (in the black bottles) and wasn't impressed. But my hair had a ton of bleach damage at the time, and it just wasn't moisturizing enough.
Still, I'm debating getting their Hydration Power Drops. I'm sure I can just use HA in my hair, but half the fun is getting theirs.

I'm gonna enable and say if you liked it, treat yourself.

If I had the funds I would go for oribe, ojon,matrix and Kerastase those are like amazing products. I love and use CHI I cant ever find anything better.

Out of the brands you mentioned, Kerastase deep conditioning mask (in the magenta color jar) is freakin' amazing for color treated hair. I loved that stuff. Their serum was pretty good too. But I don't remember loving their shampoo or conditioner either.

There's still so many brands I want to try.. but just have too much stuff to get through right now.

renia22
November 7th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Oh girl.. you opened up a can of worms for me.
Regarding Oribe- I tried their shampoo and conditioner last year sometime (in the black bottles) and wasn't impressed. But my hair had a ton of bleach damage at the time, and it just wasn't moisturizing enough.
Still, I'm debating getting their Hydration Power Drops. I'm sure I can just use HA in my hair, but half the fun is getting theirs.

I'm gonna enable and say if you liked it, treat yourself.

Out of the brands you mentioned, Kerastase deep conditioning mask (in the magenta color jar) is freakin' amazing for color treated hair. I loved that stuff. Their serum was pretty good too. But I don't remember loving their shampoo or conditioner either.

There's still so many brands I want to try.. but just have too much stuff to get through right now.

Lol, I’m thinking of getting it, it was so good! And it does have a silicone in it, but have you ever tried the Supershine cream, or the light version (in the blue/ purple tube)? It gets rave reviews, I wonder if you would like that one (thinking of your leave in thread : )

Dark40
November 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM
My favorite high end product is Joico K Pak Reconstructor. I also alternate between my high end products and my drugstore products. I love them both. My favorite drugstore products are Pantene Pro-V Fusion Moisture Balance and Beautiful Lengths. I also love Garnier Fructis products as well!

Angelica
November 8th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I have used oribe shampoo and absolutely love it. Everything about it, the bottle, the scent and how it made my hair look and feel. Currently using Grow Gorgeous which I also love.

LittleOgre
November 8th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I try high end products but they dont make my hair feel any different so I dont bother anymore. I do treat myself with a natural treatment and that has made my hair thicker and grow a lot faster. I definitley splurge on skin care though... Thats one thing i dont want to mistreat lol.

Ylva
November 8th, 2018, 12:13 PM
The first thing I thought of when I read 'high end' was Kérastase. I'm really interested in trying the Kérastase Aura Botanica line (https://www.lookfantastic.fi/kerastase-aura-botanica-concentre-essentiel-hair-oil-regime-bundle/11421122.html). It looks like something my hair would like. Has anyone here tried any of those products? It's out of my price range, but a girl can dream. In the end, I'm totally satisfied with my drugstore/natural products as well.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Lol, I’m thinking of getting it, it was so good! And it does have a silicone in it, but have you ever tried the Supershine cream, or the light version (in the blue/ purple tube)? It gets rave reviews, I wonder if you would like that one (thinking of your leave in thread : )

I haven't.
Right now I'm also silicone and protein free for the most part (and experimenting with no oils or butters.)
The Supershine cream has way too much protein from the description on their site. I really wish they showed the complete ingredient list though.. grr...

My go to is Briogeo. I have pretty much everything for that brand except for their volumizing and curl line.

The other product I want to try is the Cleansing Mask with Lemon lo poo by Christophe Robin. But it's gonna be a while until I get around to it.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 12:19 PM
The first thing I thought of when I read 'high end' was Kérastase. I'm really interested in trying the Kérastase Aura Botanica line (https://www.lookfantastic.fi/kerastase-aura-botanica-concentre-essentiel-hair-oil-regime-bundle/11421122.html). It looks like something my hair would like. Has anyone here tried any of those products? It's out of my price range, but a girl can dream. In the end, I'm totally satisfied with my drugstore/natural products as well.

No. When I was using it, I was using their Reflection line since my hair was colored. The hair mask was was awesome
https://www.kerastase-usa.com/collections/reflection

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 12:22 PM
I have used oribe shampoo and absolutely love it. Everything about it, the bottle, the scent and how it made my hair look and feel. Currently using Grow Gorgeous which I also love.
Which one? If it's the black bottle, I can see that. We have very different hair- just not moisturizing enough for me. But like I said, I really want to dry the drops.

I try high end products but they dont make my hair feel any different so I dont bother anymore. I do treat myself with a natural treatment and that has made my hair thicker and grow a lot faster. I definitley splurge on skin care though... Thats one thing i dont want to mistreat lol.

Which brands didn't make a difference?

They don't all work for me either. But some are definitely worth the money.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 01:49 PM
My favorite high end product is Joico K Pak Reconstructor. I also alternate between my high end products and my drugstore products. I love them both. My favorite drugstore products are Pantene Pro-V Fusion Moisture Balance and Beautiful Lengths. I also love Garnier Fructis products as well!

I ca't use their products. Even their K-PAK Intense Hydrator has too much protein for me.

renia22
November 8th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I haven't.
Right now I'm also silicone and protein free for the most part (and experimenting with no oils or butters.)
The Supershine cream has way too much protein from the description on their site. I really wish they showed the complete ingredient list though.. grr...

Oh, I know! And even the trial sizes are very pricey, and I don’t live near any stores that carry his line (only Nordstrom’s, which only has the trail size of the Texturizing Spray in store, which I ended up getting), I’d love to test some products before buying. Way too expensive to blind buy.

Today I did test the Ouai Hair Oil, which was wayyyy too heavy for my hair, even a tiny amount. It smells like gardenia, and they also have a rose one. Apparently they have 4 different scents for their hair products and will release matching perfumes next week, but they didn’t smell as great as I thought. I might, however, drive down to another Sephora and try some of the Tocca Hair Mists. I’ve heard good things about them and love nice smelling hair, but need to test before considering buying something like that too.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Oh, I know! And even the trial sizes are very pricey, and I don’t live near any stores that carry his line (only Nordstrom’s, which only has the trail size of the Texturizing Spray in store, which I ended up getting), I’d love to test some products before buying. Way too expensive to blind buy.

Today I did test the Ouai Hair Oil, which was wayyyy too heavy for my hair, even a tiny amount. It smells like gardenia, and they also have a rose one. Apparently they have 4 different scents for their hair products and will release matching perfumes next week, but they didn’t smell as great as I thought. I might, however, drive down to another Sephora and try some of the Tocca Hair Mists. I’ve heard good things about them and love nice smelling hair, but need to test before considering buying something like that too.

Ouia hair oil was my holy grail before I went silicone free. I was using it even after joining this forum. It's so strange you find it heavy, I found it to the be the lightest serum I've ever tried. I could use it multiple times a day without it weighing my hair down and it was the only thing that controlled my frizz. I still have the full size bottle and a travel size of it, that's how much I love it. I refuse to give them away.. haha

Are you talking about This One (https://theouai.com/products/hair-oil?variant=12951925060&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-ntFYg5Ayx6OOa97DqjuiGEj_VhLXYZJZ2LAeE5rFt9yWSk15eg 8_saAtr0EALw_wcB) or the hair and body oil? the hair and body oil is very heavy.

Dark40
November 8th, 2018, 03:29 PM
I ca't use their products. Even their K-PAK Intense Hydrator has too much protein for me.

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember one you told me you can't use products with protein in it. Some people's hair doesn't need the protein.

renia22
November 8th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Ouia hair oil was my holy grail before I went silicone free. I was using it even after joining this forum. It's so strange you find it heavy, I found it to the be the lightest serum I've ever tried. I could use it multiple times a day without it weighing my hair down and it was the only thing that controlled my frizz. I still have the full size bottle and a travel size of it, that's how much I love it. I refuse to give them away.. haha

Are you talking about This One (https://theouai.com/products/hair-oil?variant=12951925060&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-ntFYg5Ayx6OOa97DqjuiGEj_VhLXYZJZ2LAeE5rFt9yWSk15eg 8_saAtr0EALw_wcB) or the hair and body oil? the hair and body oil is very heavy.

Yes that one, the hair oil only, not the hair and body oil. I hardly used any, only rubbed the residue from my hands lightly over my hair, and my hair is all stringy:(.

My hair doesn’t do well with hair oils in general, it’s lower porosity and even the lighter oil/ serum combos just don’t absorb. I have the same issue with Aveda’s Dry Remedy Oil, which I love the scent of, so I’m using it up as a body oil. Lighter more liquid-y serums seem to be okay on my hair, though (Kristin Ess Weightless Shine Serum; Aveda light Elements Smoothing Fluid..)

Spar
November 8th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I've been using the Chi Argan line. Shampoo, conditioner, and the deep conditioning mask (will be trying the oil soon). I love them. The shampoo is sulfate free, but lathers and cleans very well, but make sure your hair is soaking wet first. It smells great, and you need to use very little product (one pump of shampoo, 1 1/2 pump of conditioner for waist length hair). My hair is shiny, tangle free, soft, and smooth. I do not have to use a leave in conditioner because the conditioner detangles and moisturizes so well. No more dry ends. I can wash everyday without my hair getting dried out. The poo, condish, and mask are about $20 each and I bought them from Ulta (type in Chi Argan). These products do have silicones, oils, and silk protein so you may want to be careful.

I also bought a new round brush. 4 1/4" Olivia Garden ceramic round brush. This brush is AMAZING! It's HUGE but works great for my waist length hair. I've never used a round brush like this before. The handle is comfortable, its lightweight, and hair just GLIDES through the bristles and over the barrel. I can easily do round brush curls without my hair getting stuck and I get insane volume and bounce. It's so gentle on my hair and blowdrying is actually fun and easy now. It's about $27 from Ulta, just type in Olivia Garden Ceramic Hairbrush.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Yes that one, the hair oil only, not the hair and body oil. I hardly used any, only rubbed the residue from my hands lightly over my hair, and my hair is all stringy:(.

My hair doesn’t do well with hair oils in general, it’s lower porosity and even the lighter oil/ serum combos just don’t absorb. I have the same issue with Aveda’s Dry Remedy Oil, which I love the scent of, so I’m using it up as a body oil. Lighter more liquid-y serums seem to be okay on my hair, though (Kristin Ess Weightless Shine Serum; Aveda light Elements Smoothing Fluid..)

wow.. but yeah, if you're low porosity, that makes sense. i'm normal i think with high on my ends and i still can't do too much oil either since i don't use sulfates.

nycelle
November 8th, 2018, 04:30 PM
I've been using the Chi Argan line. Shampoo, conditioner, and the deep conditioning mask (will be trying the oil soon). I love them. The shampoo is sulfate free, but lathers and cleans very well, but make sure your hair is soaking wet first. It smells great, and you need to use very little product (one pump of shampoo, 1 1/2 pump of conditioner for waist length hair). My hair is shiny, tangle free, soft, and smooth. I do not have to use a leave in conditioner because the conditioner detangles and moisturizes so well. No more dry ends. I can wash everyday without my hair getting dried out. The poo, condish, and mask are about $20 each and I bought them from Ulta (type in Chi Argan). These products do have silicones, oils, and silk protein so you may want to be careful.

I also bought a new round brush. 4 1/4" Olivia Garden ceramic round brush. This brush is AMAZING! It's HUGE but works great for my waist length hair. I've never used a round brush like this before. The handle is comfortable, its lightweight, and hair just GLIDES through the bristles and over the barrel. I can easily do round brush curls without my hair getting stuck and I get insane volume and bounce. It's so gentle on my hair and blowdrying is actually fun and easy now. It's about $27 from Ulta, just type in Olivia Garden Ceramic Hairbrush.

yeah, i've heard good things about chi from others here as well. glad you're using products that work for you.

i'm silicone, protein and oil free at the moment. well, i will use protein when i feel my hair needs it, but my hair seems to do better without silicones. and if i go by my last two washes, better without much oil as well.

Doreen
November 8th, 2018, 05:31 PM
I got some large samples of Sachajuan Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Used for 2 washes. I liked the conditioner well enough -- it's not my favorite of all time, but if I had the chance to get another free sample of it, I would. However, the shampoo was quite bad for me and left my hair super greasy. Even when my hair was damp and drying, I could tell my roots were oily and once it was fully dry, it felt like I needed to wash again immediately for how oily it was. I guess that's the point of a moisturizing shampoo! Maybe someone with a VERY dry scalp would enjoy that shampoo. I have a slightly dry scalp, and it was too much for me. It wasn't even sulfate-free.

I also tried the Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair treatment and I enjoyed it. My hair felt smoother and softer. I can't afford to keep it around all the time but I really liked it.

Alissalocks
November 8th, 2018, 07:50 PM
I splurged last year and bought a bottle of Bio Silk.

...I'm pretty sure it's made with angel tears and unicorn plasma, and it smells ahhhhmazing!! :cloud9: I've used it as my go to primary serum and I still have soooo much of it, so although it was costly up front I think it was worth it.

Dark40
November 8th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I splurged last year and bought a bottle of Bio Silk.

...I'm pretty sure it's made with angel tears and unicorn plasma, and it smells ahhhhmazing!! :cloud9: I've used it as my go to primary serum and I still have soooo much of it, so although it was costly up front I think it was worth it.

I used to use Bio Silk too!

It is more on the pricey side, and you're right it is worth it. I love how the serum adds shine to your hair! :)

renia22
November 9th, 2018, 06:57 AM
^Biosilk sounds nice, I’ve never tried it.

Stopped by Sephora last night, and the Tocca hair mists were a bust (alcohol + coconut oil + fragrance), I did not like them at all. Too “perfume-y”, and I did not like how they felt on my hair.

However, another line that I thought of that was super luxurious was the Anna Sui Rose hair care. I don’t think the whole line is available anymore, but this stuff was very nice:

https://image.ibb.co/di6LyV/D5-DE47-F9-2191-4-C7-D-873-B-071-A6-CF3-BD0-D.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Angelica
November 9th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Which one? If it's the black bottle, I can see that. We have very different hair- just not moisturizing enough for me. But like I said, I really want to dry the drops.

Which brands didn't make a difference?

They don't all work for me either. But some are definitely worth the money.

Oribe - the volumizing one in the brown bottle. I also used the dry shampoo black can. I liked the dry shampoo one as well but it got used up too quickly :)

pisinoe
April 16th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Think I’ll be reviving this instead of making a new thread.

My favorite brand thus far is Kérastase and I’m really into their products. I got some new stuff to try from Keune, Wella and L’oréal Professional as well but overall don’t think I’ll be repurchasing the previous products I had by the last two.

I’m also keen to try Sebastian Potion 9 and some Davines products but that will probably take a while as I have enough to use up or I get overwhelmed anyway :)

NicoleLionne
April 17th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Thanks for reviving this thread, pisinoe!

I try to be mindful when spending money on luxury haircare. It can definitely be worth the money at times. Kevin Murphy is one of my absolute favourites. I have been using their shampoos and conditioners for years now. Every time I try something else, eventually I'll get back to Kevin Murphy. So far their shampoos are the only ones without sulphates that really clean my scalp and hair. Everything else (and there have been a lot) leaves me with an itchy scalp and greasy hair. Fortunately I need so little that the bottles last forever, so it's not even that expensive in the end :).

Olaplex 7 has become another staple. I've tried a lot of other coney-oil serums, but the Olaplex one is magic. I don't know why or how, but it seems to be the only thing that can save my extremely damaged front pieces from disintegrating.

NicoleLionne
April 17th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Double post :/

enfys
April 18th, 2021, 02:56 PM
I'm getting really high maintenance with my haircare brands. Philip Kingsley Elasticizer pre treatment most washes, Kerastase Genesis for shampoo or Paul Mitchell for my chelating and clarifying shampoos, L'Oréal Professional for conditioner after washing then Kerastase Genesis scalp serum and 8 Hour serum on the lengths every night and Paul Mitchell skinny serum and detangling spray as needed. The only cheaper product I use is Garnier Hair Food masks. I even only use a Mason Pearson BBB because I was fed up of buying cheap ones and not getting results I expected.

Most annoyingly, these products are all amazing and I don't want to give up the results because my hair really is my only good feature these days.

Eastbound&Down
April 18th, 2021, 04:02 PM
I'm getting really high maintenance with my haircare brands. Philip Kingsley Elasticizer pre treatment most washes, Kerastase Genesis for shampoo or Paul Mitchell for my chelating and clarifying shampoos, L'Oréal Professional for conditioner after washing then Kerastase Genesis scalp serum and 8 Hour serum on the lengths every night and Paul Mitchell skinny serum and detangling spray as needed. The only cheaper product I use is Garnier Hair Food masks. I even only use a Mason Pearson BBB because I was fed up of buying cheap ones and not getting results I expected.

Most annoyingly, these products are all amazing and I don't want to give up the results because my hair really is my only good feature these days.

At least you are getting bang for your buck! I've been tempted to splurge and buy some fancy shampoos and conditioners, but I'm worried I won't like them as much as the Herbal Essence that I've been using for literally decades now.

baanoo
April 18th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Oohh a few times I’ve splurged on some kerastase and it’s always been so lovely.

enfys
April 18th, 2021, 06:22 PM
I took me a long time to take the plunge on things I hadn't tried. I used samples of everything first. Now I feel ready to trust anything from Kerastase, but Philip Kingsley is only good for Elasticizer. I do find the Kerastase shampoo is genuinely very concentrated: I kept a tally and got over 50 uses, from a 250ml bottle so it really is just a teaspoon for perfectly clean hair and scalp! I absolutely recommend samples first especially for the first time buying anything from a brand. Beauty boxes where you can choose the contents are brilliant for that.

Dark40
April 18th, 2021, 07:56 PM
My favorite high ends products are: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor Shampoo and Conditioner, Joico K-Pak Penetrating Conditioner, Biosilk Therapy, Straight Hair Shampoo and Conditioner by Marc Anthony, Long Hair Shampoo and Conditioner also by Marc Anthony, and Matrix Biolage Shampoo and Conditioner for color-treated hair, Giovanni Shampoo and Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner, and any products by Paul Mitchel.

GordonMurphella
April 19th, 2021, 04:15 AM
My favorite high ends products are: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor Shampoo and Conditioner, Joico K-Pak Penetrating Conditioner, Biosilk Therapy, Straight Hair Shampoo and Conditioner by Marc Anthony, Long Hair Shampoo and Conditioner also by Marc Anthony, and Matrix Biolage Shampoo and Conditioner for color-treated hair, Giovanni Shampoo and Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner, and any products by Paul Mitchel.

PBI, but Marc Anthony and Giovanni are drugstore/grocery store at least around here. But I agree, they're very nice.

As high-end as I go anymore is Keracolor Klenditioner, but I haven't bought it since Covid.

Bat
April 19th, 2021, 07:05 AM
so far I like Redkin frizz dismiss and Joico clarifying shampoo, and the moisture recovery range, after I use up most of my stash I might go around hairdressing places and try ransom stuff out

Lesley8
April 19th, 2021, 07:14 AM
I'm really liking my innate life rose elixir my hair looks really shiny and less tangles.

nycelle
April 19th, 2021, 07:28 AM
I love Kerastase.
My fave has been their Chromatique hair mask from their Reflection line. It leaves your hair shiny like no other. It's for color treated hair, but it worked just as well on virgin hair.
Their hair oil (the original one) is also awesome. Oddly though I found I prefer OUAI hair oil which is an HG product for me.

Sephora recently had their Rouge/VIB sale so I took advantage.

Ordered Kerastase Chronologiste Shampoo and Mask.
Also ordered Alterna CAVIAR Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture conditioner, and finally decided to give Olaplex 3 a try.

Dark40
April 19th, 2021, 09:05 AM

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear you can't use their products because it has too much protein for you. My hair loves protein but I don't use them that often. If I use products with protein in it...it's only once or twice a month. The rest of the month I use products that will moisturize my hair.

Dark40
April 19th, 2021, 09:09 AM
PBI, but Marc Anthony and Giovanni are drugstore/grocery store at least around here. But I agree, they're very nice.

As high-end as I go anymore is Keracolor Klenditioner, but I haven't bought it since Covid.

I bet Marc Anthony and Giovanni are drugstore/grocery store at least on your end. Well, on my end they are really sold online at www.ultabeauty.com or amazon. Yes, they are very nice.
Hmm, I've never heard of as for high-end Karacolor Klenditioner. Oh, I can understand why you haven't bought it since covid. Hopefully, after covid calms down you can purchase some.

tekla
April 19th, 2021, 09:37 AM
Giovanni is also sold at iherb.com and more importantly, their price point is far below more high end brands such as Joico, Briogeo etc.

I really like Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator (the older formula which had less protein), Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and Sebastian Potion 9, especially the latter two. I'm not sure what Potion 9 does to my hair but I can really feel the difference if I haven't used it. It gives some body to fine hair but it doesn't feel like there's product on hair.

pisinoe
April 19th, 2021, 12:14 PM
I love Kerastase.
My fave has been their Chromatique hair mask from their Reflection line. It leaves your hair shiny like no other. It's for color treated hair, but it worked just as well on virgin hair.
Their hair oil (the original one) is also awesome. Oddly though I found I prefer OUAI hair oil which is an HG product for me.

Sephora recently had their Rouge/VIB sale so I took advantage.

Ordered Kerastase Chronologiste Shampoo and Mask.
Also ordered Alterna CAVIAR Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture conditioner, and finally decided to give Olaplex 3 a try.

I'm definitely trying Chromatique for thick hair in the future! Glad to know you like it. I haven't seen Ouai around here at all.

I only have the Chronologiste mask and it's fabulous. I prefer the Therapiste line but Chronologiste does feel super luxurious :)

nycelle
April 19th, 2021, 01:49 PM
I'm definitely trying Chromatique for thick hair in the future! Glad to know you like it. I haven't seen Ouai around here at all.

I only have the Chronologiste mask and it's fabulous. I prefer the Therapiste line but Chronologiste does feel super luxurious :)

Have you tried Oribe products? I also love their Gold Lust Repair and Restore line, specifically the conditioner (not masque). It left my hair so nice and soft.

Another line I really like is Lorraine Massey's CurlyWorld line. The Sham-Free Hair and Scalp Cleanser, and Terms&Conditions conditioner left my hair looking gorgeous. But even though the webpage is still around, I can't buy it anymore. No idea what happened.

Briogeo is another brand I was hooked on for a year or so. Especially the Don't Despair, Repair Conditioning mask. But I got bored.. haha..

CurlyWorld and Briogeo are more mid-range I think. The prices are around 33-40 USD per product.

One I want to try is Philip B. The Russian Amber Conditioner. It's 170 USD for 6 oz though so it's a big splurge. Not sure when I'll get around to trying it.

pisinoe
April 19th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Have you tried Oribe products? I also love their Gold Lust Repair and Restore line, specifically the conditioner (not masque). It left my hair so nice and soft.

Another line I really like is Lorraine Massey's CurlyWorld line. The Sham-Free Hair and Scalp Cleanser, and Terms&Conditions conditioner left my hair looking gorgeous. But even though the webpage is still around, I can't buy it anymore. No idea what happened.

Briogeo is another brand I was hooked on for a year or so. Especially the Don't Despair, Repair Conditioning mask. But I got bored.. haha..

CurlyWorld and Briogeo are more mid-range I think. The prices are around 33-40 USD per product.

One I want to try is Philip B. The Russian Amber Conditioner. It's 170 USD for 6 oz though so it's a big splurge. Not sure when I'll get around to trying it.

Hmmm I've never seen any of those products here or heard about them before (except Oribe, but just by passing really). I think the most luxurious brands sold around here are L'oréal, Kérastase, Davines, Moroccanoil and Kevin Murphy. Thank you for bringing them up though, I'll have to look them up in the future :)

GordonMurphella
April 20th, 2021, 03:22 AM
I bet Marc Anthony and Giovanni are drugstore/grocery store at least on your end. Well, on my end they are really sold online at www.ultabeauty.com or amazon. Yes, they are very nice.
Hmm, I've never heard of as for high-end Karacolor Klenditioner. Oh, I can understand why you haven't bought it since covid. Hopefully, after covid calms down you can purchase some.

Ulta, drugstore, grocery .. ok, I guess I'm just having trouble understanding you. And vice versa. And if you're looking at Ulta, Keracolor is on there. I'm going to wobble off now ...

Dark40
April 20th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Ulta, drugstore, grocery .. ok, I guess I'm just having trouble understanding you. And vice versa. And if you're looking at Ulta, Keracolor is on there. I'm going to wobble off now ...

Well, you probably don't have Ulta, drugstore, or grocery in your country. Yeah, I guess you are having trouble understanding me. And vice versa. Ok, I will look at Ulta for the Keracolor then. Thank you for letting me know that. Ok, I'm going wobble off now too ...

Dark40
April 20th, 2021, 08:22 PM

Well, you probably don't have Ulta, drugstore, or grocery in your country. Yeah, I guess you are having trouble understanding me. And vice versa. Ok, I will look at Ulta for the Keracolor then. Thank you for letting me know that. Ok, I'm going wobble off now too ...

Dark40
April 20th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Double post sorry.

GordonMurphella
April 21st, 2021, 03:03 AM

Um.... okay. :shrug:

hanne jensen
April 24th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Joico split repair serum is fantastic.

Lesley8
April 24th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Just bought the innate life herbal hair mask

Salice
March 28th, 2023, 04:43 AM
I like to test new products, but I'm a pretty minimalistic person. That's why I don't have any long-time favourites. At the moment, I use some Rahua, Briogeo, Eleven Australia, Olaplex and OUAI. I wash my hair only twice a week, so all the hair products last me almost for too long. If I would buy them more often, I would probably be more frugal. Now I just buy things I hopefully enjoy as long as they last.

Croww
June 26th, 2023, 06:56 AM
Has anyone tried rahua? I’m considering switching to their products, I’m using kerastase extensioniste now and I’m running out.

Lesley8
June 26th, 2023, 07:26 AM
I'm been using Davines melu shampoo and conditioner love it, its really good for tangles. Also using their milk leave in, oil and scalp scrub. I've wanted to try rahua heard good things about it.

floridaorchid
June 26th, 2023, 08:10 AM
I like to test new products, but I'm a pretty minimalistic person. That's why I don't have any long-time favourites. At the moment, I use some Rahua, Briogeo, Eleven Australia, Olaplex and OUAI. I wash my hair only twice a week, so all the hair products last me almost for too long. If I would buy them more often, I would probably be more frugal. Now I just buy things I hopefully enjoy as long as they last.

I use OUAI for my main haircare and briogeo for the scalp scrub and mask.
I think I might switch off of ouai, but I can't decide. I feel like I have more breakage since using them, but my hair feels better.

~MoonChild~
June 26th, 2023, 01:38 PM
I love Davines Naturetech line and their Oi hair oil. Works well for my fine hair

cadaverinna
June 26th, 2023, 02:36 PM
Expensive stuff doesn't really excite me. If I was rich I think the most expensive I'd go would still be Olaplex for care, and the best stylists I could find for colour(I like to cut it myself).

I've found a routine that works 100% for me, so I'm not messing w it for a while.

Greengable
June 26th, 2023, 03:12 PM
I tried Icon and Kerastase and Sebastian but since I left the ailicones and sulfates I have better hair.
I make my own products based on best quality ingredientes, 100% natural plants and virgin oils. I never had good hair and I always fighted with hair loss until five years ago that I stopped purchasing high price products that are not good for me, now I can say I have better hair than ever in my life.

Greengable
June 26th, 2023, 03:15 PM
I also tried Olaplex and makes my scalp itch.

angel-baby
June 27th, 2023, 11:07 PM
My hairdresser used the Davines color line on me yesterday and I was super impressed. We just did a gloss, so idk if she used anything that would be especially damaging, but it was really nice to leave the color bowl not reeking of ammonia. Left the salon with Amika Normcore shampoo and conditioner, which are supposed to be nice and hydrating for fine, wavy hair. I'm excited to try them; I really like the other Amika products I've tried.