PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying question!

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I am a serial cone head. When I clarify with BS followed by ACV rinse, i
does that get all the build up off you think? Or should I do multiple rounds over a week or two?

sarahthegemini
November 8th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Why use baking soda? Just use an actual clarifying shampoo. Just do it once and see how your hair is after, repeat if necessary.

Firefox7275
November 8th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Baking soda is alkaline so very harsh on hair and is arguably better suited to removing sebum or butter build up since it may be able to saponify them. Clarifying shampoos are formulated to remove silicone build up.

patienceneeded
November 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I would just buy a clarifying shampoo and use it. Why not? It's not going to be harsher than the BS.

Brands you could try - Suave Daily Clarifying (cheap), Neutrogena Anti-Residue (less cheap).

neko_kawaii
November 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Why bakingsoda? Because I've yet to find a clarifying shampoo that didn't stink of perfumes to high heaven! As for if BS removes silicone build up, no idea.

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I've used baking soda bc I thought it was a natural alternative?

What are your thoughts on joico chelating shampoo? I heard it's the business and I just joined a gym with a pool so I may be dealing with mineral build up soon...

vanillabones
November 8th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I've never tried the baking soda and probably never will. I have the suave, neutrogena (my sister has it), and v05 clarifying shampoos. The v05 vanilla tea one smells sooo good. I like to clarify every week or every 2 weeks. I'm hopelessly addicted to cones too and this routine works just fine. :)

Anje
November 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I'm curious -- where's this idea that sodium bicarbonate is natural come from? (For the record, I don't think there's a natural vs harmful dichotomy, which some people seem to believe.)

Ambystoma
November 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM
What are your thoughts on joico chelating shampoo? I heard it's the business and I just joined a gym with a pool so I may be dealing with mineral build up soon...

It's my holy grail product - the one thing I'd never be without! Just follow it up with a nice moisture treatment since it's a sulphate shampoo with protein, I usually do an SMT afterwards. I really don't think BS clarifies at all, it's good for getting your scalp clean but it's not exactly gentle.

snakes&stuff
November 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I use Miss Jessie's shampoo every week or two (depending on how dry the air is) and I have no problems with buildup, and I use A LOT of cones :P

florenonite
November 9th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I'm curious -- where's this idea that sodium bicarbonate is natural come from? (For the record, I don't think there's a natural vs harmful dichotomy, which some people seem to believe.)

I think it's because its use is similar to a lot of the reasons people don't want to use traditional products (don't want to buy into the beauty industry, don't want to throw lots of plastic bottles out because they're not recycled in their area, sensitive to ingredients so choosing to use the bare minimum, etc.). Oh, and according to Wikipedia it *is* naturally occurring, though I doubt what you get at the supermarket was mined.

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I love the vo5 vanilla mint tea set for clarifying. It does a great job and the scent is wonderful.

jeanniet
November 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM
The Joico chelating shampoo is very good, although I only use it maybe two or three times a year (well water). It will remove ALL the buildup on your hair. My husband swims 3-4 times a week and has for years. He was using a swimmer's shampoo and his hair was like straw. Now he just COs with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and then uses a bit of coconut oil after. He hasn't had to chelate in months, and his hair feels just fine. I think the porosity of his hair has improved so it's not taking on as much of the pool chemicals.