PDA

View Full Version : When do you make the decision to cut, and cut LOTS of length?

Celticfreefall
November 8th, 2013, 02:29 AM
I'm having kind of a rough go of it right now. My hair is a MESS.. tons of breakage, and it's extremely frizzy. I basically can't leave it down at all the way it is (minus spending hours straightening or curling, and I don't like to use heat), it just looks awful. So, I'm really at an impasse. I've already taken three inches off, and those inches were threadbare and very wispy, bringing my hair to a just at waist length. My ends are still frizzy and terrible, and I have a ton of breakage at my nape. Should I just break down and go for a bob and start from scratch, or should I wait and grow it out and do a massive trim? I've spent years growing my hair out long, but due to stress and a few bad hairstyles (I had an allergic reaction to dye, and a stylist decided to comb from the roots down when coloring doing massive damage) over the past year my hair has taken a beating. I have no idea what to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Flor
November 8th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Got pictures? Hard to judge how bad things are without seeing it. That said, if you're sure it's the dye job damage, you've tried various pampering methods and you still can't enjoy your hair, then sure, cut it and start fresh. Maybe don't dye it anymore though?

Also, with 2c hair type, might be worth it giving Curly Girl a try for a few weeks, instead of straightening and curling? Maybe your frizz is just a messed up wave pattern?

bunzfan
November 8th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Got pictures? Hard to judge how bad things are without seeing it. That said, if you're sure it's the dye job damage, you've tried various pampering methods and you still can't enjoy your hair, then sure, cut it and start fresh. Maybe don't dye it anymore though?

Also, with 2c hair type, might be worth it giving Curly Girl a try for a few weeks, instead of straightening and curling? Maybe your frizz is just a messed up wave pattern?

Yes it may not be as bad as you think, if we could see we could give better advise . I have loads of new growth around shoulder length and beyond and i'm just growing next year and maintaining the year after maybe you could maintain to get rid of some of the breakage. Also quit the heat if you can i get tons of splits and white dots if i even think of using the straightening irons.

Celticfreefall
November 8th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I guess I worded that a bit funny. I actually don't use any heat, unless it's a wedding or a very special occasion (three or four times a year maybe). I don't blow dry; anything really. Just meant to say that the only time my hair looks good down is when those methods are used. I've also only colored my hair three times in the past four years, finding out my allergy on the last one sucked! Never again. I use a Mason Pearson comb and brush, and finger comb my hair before touching it at all. Coconut oil is my current weapon of choice, and I shampoo once a week and use conditioner instead when necessary as a wash. I vinegar rinse too, because my water here is really hard. Bad photos because it's early morning here, but here you can see from the front (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo2.jpg) and from the back (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo3.jpg) as well.

bunzfan
November 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I guess I worded that a bit funny. I actually don't use any heat, unless it's a wedding or a very special occasion (three or four times a year maybe). I don't blow dry; anything really. Just meant to say that the only time my hair looks good down is when those methods are used. I've also only colored my hair three times in the past four years, finding out my allergy on the last one sucked! Never again. I use a Mason Pearson comb and brush, and finger comb my hair before touching it at all. Coconut oil is my current weapon of choice, and I shampoo once a week and use conditioner instead when necessary as a wash. I vinegar rinse too, because my water here is really hard. Bad photos because it's early morning here, but here you can see from the front (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo2.jpg) and from the back (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo3.jpg) as well.

I am wondering from your pictures if that is just your hair type and maybe you are much curlier than you think?? sounds like you are doing the right things . Have you tried co washing and leaving it to dry without brushing or combing those with curlier hair do this with great success when younger my hair was really curly almost ringlets and would do the same thing if i dared brush it.

Lyv
November 8th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I think if there is a lot of damage/splits I would cut it so it doesn't travel up the hair shaft. I don't think you can repair damage you can just moisturize and mask it with product. Is your hair brushed out in the pictures? If it is that may be what is making it look more frizzy.

Hootenanny
November 8th, 2013, 08:34 AM
As others have said, I think the brushing is the problem. Curly hair really doesn't do well with it. Try using a wide-toothed comb (or just finger combing) in the shower, when your hair is soaked with conditioner. Then rinse lightly (leaving a little conditioner in) and don't comb or brush again. Let your hair air-dry, and see what happens. You might be surprised by how curly you are! :)

patienceneeded
November 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
It's difficult to know from a picture if the fuzziness is caused by damage or if it's simply curly hair that has been brushed out. I would give the curly girl method a go for a few weeks and see what happens. CO wash and put your brushes away! Using a BB may be your worst enemy...your hair looks like my friend's curly hair after she brushed with a BB.

Of the Fae
November 8th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I chopped it and I really regret it! Don't do it unless you are really sick of the look of long hair.
You can always go for a trim and try a different brush or comb! Switch conditioner or try a different look!

heidi w.
November 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I cut my hair when it snarled into a big knot, and the hair was in an updo I couldn't get out.
I would decide to cut it off if I can't physically take care of it or some medical problem.
Otherwise I'd keep it long. But I already cut my hair off and I'm older, and it's been nearly a year and my hair hasn't grown at all.
heidi w.

spidermom
November 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I agree about brushing; it brings out the worst in 2C hair.

But if it's really damage, cutting is the best plan. You can do it slowly with regular trimming or quickly; it's up to you. Both methods work.

LauraLongLocks
November 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM
It looks like curly hair that has been brushed. My 13 year old daughter has curly/wavy hair and always loved to use the brush instead of the comb, but her hair always looked frizzy when she did it that way. She finally let me comb, condition, and scrunch it while it was drying and wow, she had no idea her hair could be so beautiful. It really is pretty, as long as she doesn't brush it. I think yours might be similar.

Jenny31557
November 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I also suggest you try the curly girl method before even thinking of cutting. See if you can encourage any curls or waves first and then decide if you still want to cut it. Don't give up on it just yet! ;)

Angelicblaze
November 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't do a bob if it were me, it might end up really disheartening for you and make you feel worse. Whenever I get a bob I always regret it. I had it at APL and cut it to a bob this summer to blend in the new growth from having a baby and I regretted it.

So to answer your question if my hair was as long as yours and I felt the same way that there was no option than to cut, I would fight the bob as much as possible and instead choose a length that would be a compromise maybe BSL, I'm going by your inches since I can't see the length, though I know with the curlier types it springs up.

So I am really posting to say this, whatever you do, don't get a bob. Maybe after cutting it back to the compromise length if you do decided that,it might become easier to manage. Also, it's not too late to start again with hair health, I have dyed ends (well up to my ears) and it looks bad but I refuse to give into the temptation to dye again. Post pictures or sticky notes of your goals (healthy hair, no more dyes! etc.) on your mirror to help when you feel the temptation to chop off or dye.

allycat
November 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Don't cut until you try the curly girl method! I'd be willing to bet cash money that you have very, very curly hair all brushed out into frizz.

jeanniet
November 8th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I also agree that you probably have a curlier hair type than 2c--3a at the least, and maybe 3b. I thought my hair was 2c, maybe 3a in spots, and when I started doing Curly Girl discovered that it's really 3a/b. I would definitely look into the CG method--even if you don't follow it exactly, some of the techniques may be helpful to you. Don't comb dry and for sure don't brush. The only time I brush now is if I want a good scalp massage and then right before a wash. You may be amazed to see how your hair looks and feels after a few weeks.

torrilin
November 8th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Should I just break down and go for a bob and start from scratch, or should I wait and grow it out and do a massive trim?

Basically, the only time I'd get my hair cut short (on me anything above APL) is if I actively want short hair, and have wanted it for a while (say 2-3 months). It does happen occasionally where this urge sticks around. It's not a big deal. If I'm in that kind of headspace, I get it chopped. It *will* grow back. It's not a big deal apart from the amount of whining I'll do when I get tired of short hair and can't braid.

But it sounds like that isn't something you actively want. And well, for me (and I think a lot of the rest of us) it's a lot easier to stuff long hair into an updo and forget about it than to deal with short hair.

antler_tines
November 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Oh I'm so curious now to see what would happen if you did do the curly girl method, your hair does look curlier than you put on your profile!

Celticfreefall
November 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will give the curly girl method a try. I never really went out of my way to get my hair typed, so it is possible that I have curlier hair than I think I do. I'm very guilty of brushing it out so that I can put it up, mainly because if they wind blows after air drying it naturally it turns into a giant mess after looking semi-decent. I get very discouraged. I'll have to get some good products for curls, and no cones right?

AmyBeth
November 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM
No way would I cut it! It needs some TLC of some kind, but it is still so beautiful. Lots of potential, there. Good luck, and I hope you will keep us updated.

Pamala513
November 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I think it looks curls that are brushed as well . My hair an look like that if I brush it too much. Have you tried finger scrunching when it is wet and letting it dry that way so you have squiggles? I Think you should try everything possible before resorting to cutting it.
How about steam conditioning? That can do wonders for moisture.

allycat
November 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I keep checking to see if we're going to get a follow-up pic!

Isilme
November 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM
In addition to treating it like curly hair you could have an inch removed every month or a little less. But I would really recommend S&D, do it whenever you get the chance. You don't have to sit for hours but five minutes here, five minutes there. It will make a difference!

nobeltonya
November 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Your texture looks a lot like mine.. do you oil at all? Coconut oil seems to calm down my frizzies a lot. It may just be the texture of your hair.. not necessarily damage unless you see obvious signs of breakage. Wash daily? It's the only thing I can do.. I also use cones, and only comb wet. Wet bunning or braiding helps. I cut off like 6" 2 months ago, but I was experimenting and I let my husband comb my hair.... :O He ripped out a huge knot.. :/ Otherwise I wouldn't have cut it. :disco:

queenieheather
November 9th, 2013, 02:08 PM
My hair would look the same if I let dry with no product and then brushed it. And I have almost no damage and rare splits. I am pretty sure I'm a 3a, but sometimes 3b in the summer. All the suggestions about the curly girl method are great. I have noticed a huge improvement with frizz since doing the CG method. Right now I am currently detangling with kinky curly knot today, using the coconut shea moisture as a leave it(like a finger full), spraying on my homemade spray gel(1tsp gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water plus 1/2 cup aloe vera), then plopping for awhile if I wear it down. Check out a youtube plopping video. The key is scrunch in your products on dripping wet hair and then DON'T TOUCH until it is dry. It took me awhile experimenting to figure out the amounts of product/plop time, but my hair is pretty fine. Oh and I also highly suggest the shea moisture masques put on dry hair for a few hours. Sooo soft after

Dandelion6
November 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I agree with everyone about the texture/brushing. I'm a wavy and I like to damp bun or braid after washing. It just styles so much better that way than letting it air dry down then putting it up. When I take it down later it behaves better as well. The only time I brush is right before a wash because I love a good scalp massage. One other thing...you might need a tad more condish.

Celticfreefall
November 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Here is my hair mostly dry today, (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo.jpg) awkward never ended photo there. Unfortunately, it doesn't really look that much better after having let it air dry properly, etc. I might have messed things up by finger combing it while putting in product though. I need to do a little more research on the curly girl method. Can you pat or squeeze dry into a towel? My hair soaks up gobs of water, and it takes hours to dry when completely wet. I'm still considering chopping it right now, to be honest. The ends feel just nasty, and I'm not sure they're worth saving.

juliaxena
November 9th, 2013, 11:04 PM
In my humble opinion it looks tons better.

LauraLongLocks
November 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM
It looks a lot less frizzy, but I can't reach out and touch it from here, and I can't examine your ends. You say they "feel just nasty." Are they split? You said you have tons of breakage. Is it breakage that may have resulted from same-style stress and/or ponytail holders? What kinds of products are you using? Do you use a coney conditioner? Cones might give you the slip and tame your hair a bit, and hide some of the damage. Are you open to the possibility of cassia and/or henna to improve your hair's texture and strength?

Quahatundightu
November 9th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Hmm your hair looks like it is at least wurly. Have you clarified and then moisturised? You can use apple cider vinegar to clarify. A Snowymoon treatment would work really well for moiturising - aloe vera with cone free conditioner and honey. If your hair takes too long to dry you can squeeze it with an old t-shirt before airdrying. The photo you just posted looks much better, well done. I suggest you hide the brush for now, keep doing some moisturising treatments and experiment with curly girl. It looks like your hair may be of the type that gets weighed down easily so Conditioner Only may leave too much build up. I also find regular small trims (microtrims) make a huge difference to my hair. Good luck!

Celticfreefall
November 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Laura, the ends feel kind of crunchy in certain places? The hair (mostly new growth) at the top of my head is smooth and almost silky feeling, while the ends are rough feeling. I had a hairdresser snag and pull out/break off an enormous knot in the back of my head, underneath the hair there, making that area a good four inches shorter than the rest of my hair. That area in particular is really ratty looking, and won't lay down or curl nicely like the rest of my hair. I'm sure some of the damage around my ears is due to me pushing the hair back there due to long growing out bangs while styling too. I'm using Garnier Fructise anti-frizz serum as well as a GF leave in conditioner, and then coconut oil as well. The conditioner I'm using is coney, and it has helped since I switched to the type I'm using currently, but it didn't really help the ends of my hair. Just the new growth. I'm not sure I'd want to henna my hair, mostly due to the danger of dying my tub etc. because I'm a renter and I don't have anyone to help me apply it.

florenonite
November 10th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Here is my hair mostly dry today, (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo.jpg) awkward never ended photo there. Unfortunately, it doesn't really look that much better after having let it air dry properly, etc. I might have messed things up by finger combing it while putting in product though. I need to do a little more research on the curly girl method. Can you pat or squeeze dry into a towel? My hair soaks up gobs of water, and it takes hours to dry when completely wet. I'm still considering chopping it right now, to be honest. The ends feel just nasty, and I'm not sure they're worth saving.

IMO it looks loads better. Have you tried plopping? That's quite popular amongst curly longhairs for getting some of the water out and shaping the curls.

Crunchy ends sound like you need to clarify (regular build-up, especially from cones) or chelate (mineral build-up from hard water). If you don't already have a favourite shampoo for removing build-up, I'd recommend getting one with both clarifying and chelating ingredients; SLS is most common for clarifying, while something containing EDTA or citric acid is good for chelating. The reason I suggest this is because IME it's hard to tell the difference; if you have hard water and use cones the problem could be from either. A lot of conditioners also contain EDTA; when I was a lifeguard I used to alternate shampooing with CO washing with an EDTA-containing conditioner to remove pool water. ACV does *not* clarify, though it can have mild chelating benefits (more as a maintenance rinse than as a way to remove build-up, though).

If clarifying/chelating doesn't help your ends, then it may be time to remove them. However, you could try trimming just a small amount off the bottom; many people find that when they do that it makes their hair feel a lot better, even when the damage travels further up, because they've got rid of the worst of it.

Angelicblaze
November 10th, 2013, 05:36 AM

Hi, I am curious if it's possible the short hairs you are seeing is actually new growth? That your hair is growing in thicker? It looks very thick closer to the scalp. If you did cut it, I think you could cut it to bsl and it might make a big difference in how it feels to you without losing alot of length, that's if you did decide to cut. I wouldn't go too extreme with cutting if you can fight it, just in case you really regret it.

Also, I wouldn't do anything else as far new products just in case they backfire on you. Just use a conditioner you're used to and only comb it through with a large comb then leave it alone for a while, no brushing or small braids or anything like that for a few days. Maybe try bunning it with conditioner for a few nights. I don't know what things you already do, but have you tried putting conditioner or oil (that you have used before) on it dry then bunning it at night? It might make your hair look "foofy" but it will help bring moisture back in. The way you said it soaks up water makes me wonder if it's really dried out. Maybe try doing the conditioner/oil bun at night for a few nights and see if that helps with the moisture. Please don't add anything new right now just in case it ends up being totally wrong for you.

allycat
November 10th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I also think it looks a lot better! Think of it as a work in progress - it doesn't look to me like you must cut if you don't want to. I think it just needs some regular micro-trimming and some moisturizing.

lapushka
November 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Bad photos because it's early morning here, but here you can see from the front (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo2.jpg) and from the back (http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/cabbitt611/Random/photo3.jpg) as well.

That looks like you brutally massacred your natural wave pattern. I'd try going curly girl for a few weeks, at least (no brushing when dry)!!! That second picture you posted looks a lot better already.

Aingeal
November 10th, 2013, 06:22 AM
That looks like you brutally massacred your natural wave pattern. I'd try going curly girl for a few weeks, at least (no brushing when dry)!!! That second picture you posted looks a lot better already.

Totally agree! I think you would benefit greatly from trying curly girl.

ravenheather
November 10th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I agree with everyone else. Curly girl for a while and if ends are really bothering you microtrim and maintain at a length that's comfortable for you. I don't think you need to cut. I would quit dying altogether though if it were my hair.

ErinLeigh
November 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I just with thru this with my BSL hair.
I compromised and cut to somewhere between SL and CBL.
I will maintain for a few more cuts and then regrow.

I actually just started a thread about this funnily enough as I had the exact same question.
My advise would be go SL or CB length. Its less dusting than growing out a bob. You can still wear hair up. And it will be at APL in 6 months if you regret it.

I will say this. I wanted to keep the length so badly But now that its fine I am actually loving the shorter hair.
It still has a good inch or 2 that need to go but you can tell from looking at it.
My hair now drys and styles so quickly. I no longer have knots and breakage. It actually makes me look younger. And it feels so much lighter and softer. I also take comfort in knowing I can grow it back quickly of I choose to. That what was kept me from pixie or bob. The fear of the 1-2 year growth time.

Honestly I would rather have healthy easy to care for hair than long, complicated, damaged hair that I fight with every day.
Also if you are always wearing it up right now why not go SL/CBL. No one will know if you continue to wear it up....yet you have the freedom to wear it down and have it soft and bouncy again if you wanted.

I do not regret chopping mine this week. I did it in 2 cuts so it wasn't a shock.
The first cut was ok but i was still having issues with breakage. I decided what the hell. A few more inches will only help. And it did more than I can explain.

Right now I am using ceramides and cones to keep the little bit of damage left sealed together and it's working at this length. When that is cut off I will re Evaulate my hair care routine.

Right this minute you could be loving your hair. So why not?

JMHO

Silverbrumby
November 10th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I had a similar routine and had terrible build up on my end making them feel awful. I'd try a daily clarifying shampoo at least once followed by a good moistrising condition like Garnier. I found the Garnier anti frizz and
The coConut oil make my hair feel funky. A good clarify them moisture based cond plus baby oil on the length really helped.

Laura, the ends feel kind of crunchy in certain places? The hair (mostly new growth) at the top of my head is smooth and almost silky feeling, while the ends are rough feeling. I had a hairdresser snag and pull out/break off an enormous knot in the back of my head, underneath the hair there, making that area a good four inches shorter than the rest of my hair. That area in particular is really ratty looking, and won't lay down or curl nicely like the rest of my hair. I'm sure some of the damage around my ears is due to me pushing the hair back there due to long growing out bangs while styling too. I'm using Garnier Fructise anti-frizz serum as well as a GF leave in conditioner, and then coconut oil as well. The conditioner I'm using is coney, and it has helped since I switched to the type I'm using currently, but it didn't really help the ends of my hair. Just the new growth. I'm not sure I'd want to henna my hair, mostly due to the danger of dying my tub etc. because I'm a renter and I don't have anyone to help me apply it.

Silverbrumby
November 10th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Oh and Garnier leave in conditioner.

ErinLeigh
November 10th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Just saw the pics. I missed that earlier. Def try curly girl as it does seem you have wavy to curly hair.
Try coconut oil as prepoo, but maybe also try a lighter drier oil like sesame or grapeseed on the "frizz" ? That's what I've been doing and it has helped immensely.

I think of your ends are as crunchy as you say, and you are sure its damage and not just a need to clarify ... I would cut some to prevent the damage from climbing up. It doesn't have to be drastic. As short as you are comfortable with.

Also if you continue to color consider coconut oil under the color. I really liked my results with that.
Good vibrant color, lot less damage.

I think you are really going to have to examine hair and decide what is really going on first.
Is it damage, brushed out waves just frizzing, or product buildup. Getting the answer will help you make the decision that is best for you.

Good luck !

LauraLongLocks
November 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM
It sounds like you've gotten some good advice from everyone here. My hair type is so different, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have noticed with my 13 yr old with curls/waves that her hair looks like a train wreck if she brushes it or rips through the tangles. Her ends can become awful if she allows a lot of mechanical damage to happen. So, I would try the clarifying then SMT. I would also try a daily CO routine with non-coney conditioner on the canopy and a coney conditioner on the length (after the clarify and SMT). Coconut oil on the length every night before bed, and jojoba or some other liquid oil on the length and at the nape after every CO. Also, wearing a satin or silk slumber cap to bed, and keeping hair up during the day in a style that doesn't require a ponytail holder near the broken/damaged parts. If, after the clarify, SMT, and a week of CO washing and keeping your hair up, your hair isn't feeling any better, trim another inch and see how it is. Then baby it along for another week or two. If it still isn't feeling tolerable to you, then trim another inch or so. Wait another two to four weeks. See how it is, trim another half inch to an inch and go from there. Once it is at a tolerable point to you, measure your hair and trim the growth, or most of the growth, every month to maintain your current length until all the damaged part is grown out and cut off. Good luck. Do as little cutting as is necessary to get it to where you can stand it, and keep babying it along. Eventually, it'll pay off. In the meantime, keep it up so you it's protected and you don't have to see all the damage.