PDA

View Full Version : Greasy hair after coconut oil soaks.

sagremus
November 7th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I soak my hair in coconut oil for 12 hours at least once a week (trying to get in the habit of twice). I wrap it in a silk scarf and then wash with a sulfate shampoo and soak in silicone deep conditioner and rinse. I use a small amount of serum, pin up the hair in my crown area (or else it doesn't dry) and then wrap in a t-shirt.

I can never get my hair entirely "clean" the first time. The oil especially seems to be retained in the hair on my crown area/back of head.

I'm wondering if I need to use less oil (fine hair), or wash my hair twice? I'm trying to avoid washing my hair multiple times as that seems to decrease the benefits of using the coconut oil.

HintOfMint
November 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I've read that a (cone-free) conditioner actually removes coconut oil better than shampoo, so if you're open to CO, that's a possibility. However, considering how it made my hair shed like crazy, I can't recommend CO.

Frankly, after my heavy oilings, I'll shampoo twice in one sitting--the first will be scalp and as far down my hair as I can go, and the second will be some scalp and mostly ends. My hair isn't worse for it, and I still have found a difference when I oil beforehand and when I don't.

ositarosita
November 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=HintOfMint;2559449]I've read that a (cone-free) conditioner actually removes coconut oil better than shampoo, so if you're open to CO, that's a possibility. However, considering how it made my hair shed like crazy, I can't recommend CO.

I have found ANY conditioner will get my oil out ( I do heavy oiling with a castor oil mix) ... I wet my hair (luke warm water) then attack my hair with my herbal essences flavour of the week .. let it marinate while I do what else I have to do .. rinse my hair and 80-90% of the oil is gone .. then I shampoo just to make sure it's gone do a quick rinse off condition and that's it ... my hair is never oily or greasy afterwards.

Firefox7275
November 8th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Conditioner only washing shifts excess oil far better than shampoo for me, I usually wash twice then use products totally free of oils or silicones, any small coconut oil residue is plenty to coat my hair. I deep condition on a completely separate occasion. I also don't oil right up to my roots unless its pre dying, is your hair really porous enough to need the crown area oiling?

Johannah
November 8th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I also use CO for removing oils. I never could get it out with shampoo, even if I did wash it three times. CO works perfect.

patienceneeded
November 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Like the others have said, conditioner will get the oil out a lot better.

I avoid oils and conditioner on my scalp like the plague - they make me shed like crazy. I heavily oil the length every week or two. To wash it out I use conditioner on the length and let it soak in/massage the length then rinse. Next I shampoo the scalp and rinse, and then condition the length again. I let the conditioner sit and soak for a minute or so, then rinse. Generally this works.

~honeyflower~
November 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have the same problem getting coconut oil out even with conditioner. I found that 2-3 drops of coconut oil on the length before showers works well. The key, is to apply one drop at a time so it doesn't have oily spots. Then use your BBB and brush to evenly coat the hair. Wait 30 minutes from when you oiled. You can use it daily as well, again, 2-3 drops is all you will need.

Just remember, less is more.

Phlegmatic
November 9th, 2013, 02:39 AM
After oiling the night before, I usually lightly shampoo down the length of my hair then glob on a mass of conditioner. This appears to remove all of the coconut oil for me, but your mileage may vary. Good luck!

florenonite
November 9th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Are the silicone condish and serum the extent of your normal hair conditioning? If so, you may be overconditioning by doing those after the oil. Have you tried just shampooing or CO-washing after the coconut oil soak?

GreenBloodyShoe
November 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I do heavy oilings with hazelnut oil every other day or every three days and I have the same problem. I find that rinsing the hair in just warm water for a couple of minutes and then massaging it with shampoo and letting it sit for a few minutes really helps to remove excess oil. I usually shampoo twice with a shampoo bar and skip using a rinse out conditioner. You may also be using too much oil for your hair type. Coconut is a light oil and shouldn't leave your hair greasy. I have ultra thick past shoulder hair and I use about 2-4 tablespoons for my hair. If you have fine, thin or short hair, maybe just a tablespoon or two should do.