PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my hair care routine?

BowTie
November 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
What do you think about my routine? Is there anything else I should do?

My routine:
I wash my hair twice a week. Either on Sunday night or Monday night and Friday morning.
I use Virgin Coconut Oil Shampoo and conditioner by Dr.Organic - this product sls free.
Before washing I brush well with BBB. Then oil my ends with coconut oil. I leave it between an hour- overnight.
Before wetting it I put some conditioner in the ends. Wait around 10 minutes. Then rinse. Shampoo the scalp and rinse. Then I add a little bit of conditioner in the ends and a bit of shampoo on my scalp. I rinse well. In the end Inrinse with cold water.

After washing I gently squueze my wet hair with towel. I don't wear towel over my head. I air dry it.

I only finger comb it (if necessary) when it's wet. I comb it when it's about 90%-100% dry. I'm currently using plastic comb but I soon will have a wide tooth wooden comb. I don't use any styling products or heat styling.

I wear my hair up or half-up daily. I do dutch braids, french braids, crown braids, peacock twist, french twist, gibson tuck. I use hair sticks, jaw clips, side combs, barrettes and bobby pins. I sleep either my hair down or loosely braided.

Sorry, this was pretty long but I hope someone can help me and tell me if I need to do something else or change something.

vanillabones
November 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Your routine sounds better than mine! I've been lazy on oiling and forgot how well it works! I wash my hair every other day and am trying to stretch that... oh and I'm addicted to cones.

Maybe you could do a few more strokes with the BBB after you oil / before washing so it gets all over the length?

Madora
November 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM

My routine:
I wash my hair twice a week. Either on Sunday night or Monday night and Friday morning.
I use Virgin Coconut Oil Shampoo and conditioner by Dr.Organic - this product sls free.
Before washing I brush well with BBB. Then oil my ends with coconut oil. I leave it between an hour- overnight.
Before wetting it I put some conditioner in the ends. Wait around 10 minutes. Then rinse. Shampoo the scalp and rinse. Then I add a little bit of conditioner in the ends and a bit of shampoo on my scalp. I rinse well. In the end Inrinse with cold water.

After washing I gently squueze my wet hair with towel. I don't wear towel over my head. I air dry it.

I only finger comb it (if necessary) when it's wet. I comb it when it's about 90%-100% dry. I'm currently using plastic comb but I soon will have a wide tooth wooden comb. I don't use any styling products or heat styling.

I wear my hair up or half-up daily. I do dutch braids, french braids, crown braids, peacock twist, french twist, gibson tuck. I use hair sticks, jaw clips, side combs, barrettes and bobby pins. I sleep either my hair down or loosely braided.

Sorry, this was pretty long but I hope someone can help me and tell me if I need to do something else or change something.

I would suggest that unless you reside in a high air pollution neighborhood...or have a job that is dirty...that you keep the shampooing down to a minimum of once a week. If you can stretch your washes even further, all the better. Frequent shampooing removes the natural oil from your hair and if you're not careful, can lead to more hair loss from the handling to get rid of the shampoo/rinsing.

I'd recommend daily brushing...in the morning..when you get up. Why morning? Because that is when your hair follicles benefit most from the brushing (head down, if you can do it).

If daily brushing isn't your thing, then be sure to give it a good combing out every day so you don't have fallen hair getting tangled with your other hair.

To avoid tangling, braid your hair at night..or wear it up...or put it in a sleep cap. That way, the hair is protected and you don't have to be spending additional time in the morning dealing with tangled hair (also means less mechanical damage).

Be sure that your hairstyles are not placed in the same spot day after day...and avoid ponytail holders. Happy growing!

r00ski
November 8th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I agree with keeping shampooing up to a minimum. Also perhaps oil the ends a little bit throughout the week if you keep it up!

bunzfan
November 8th, 2013, 03:44 AM
I would suggest that unless you reside in a high air pollution neighborhood...or have a job that is dirty...that you keep the shampooing down to a minimum of once a week. If you can stretch your washes even further, all the better. Frequent shampooing removes the natural oil from your hair and if you're not careful, can lead to more hair loss from the handling to get rid of the shampoo/rinsing.

I'd recommend daily brushing...in the morning..when you get up. Why morning? Because that is when your hair follicles benefit most from the brushing (head down, if you can do it).

If daily brushing isn't your thing, then be sure to give it a good combing out every day so you don't have fallen hair getting tangled with your other hair.

To avoid tangling, braid your hair at night..or wear it up...or put it in a sleep cap. That way, the hair is protected and you don't have to be spending additional time in the morning dealing with tangled hair (also means less mechanical damage).

Be sure that your hairstyles are not placed in the same spot day after day...and avoid ponytail holders. Happy growing!

I think Madora is right about cutting back on the shampooing i used to shampoo twice a week and i've had a horrible scalp for years and since i managed to stretch it to once a week no more flakes and my hair is so much softer and the ends nicer this could also be because i dilute my shampoo now i did use dry shampoo to help the transitioning phase as typically day 3 was always a oil slick!! now i'm going one extra day before washing so i can just just do it once a fortnight to see if it benefits my scalp more. If it feels really dirty try the dry shampoo.

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 04:45 AM
I've tried to do once a week but it's so difficult. I might try again later but currently my hair and scalp are happy with twice a week.

Lyv
November 8th, 2013, 05:23 AM
If you want to try shampooing less at some point maybe you could replace one with a co-wash. I started doing that and now I just clarify once every other week and co-wash the rest of the time.

sarahthegemini
November 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM

I'm confused, why are you shampooing twice in one sitting?

lapushka
November 8th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Some people just do. I'm one of them who has her hair shampood twice (by sudsing it up twice).

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 06:12 AM
I wash my hair twice in one sitting because it keeos my scalp cleaner for longer. The second time I use very little shampoo. My scalp seems to like it as it doesn't itch or flake.

I've tried co-washing but it made my hair flat. Maybe I had a wrong conditioner so I have to read co-wash thread and see if I can find a conditioner I like and my hair/scalp likes.

niky45
November 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
.... IMHO, if your hair is happy, you're doing it alright, so there's no need for any changes. And if it's not that happy... you should tell us what happens to it so we can further help.

btw, CO-wash is a must-try. be sure to get a good conditioner, though. cone-free would be ideal, but perhaps your hair likes cones... so try both. And if it makes your hair flat, it could be you're not rinsing it good enough (it should feel as clean as after shampoo, but as moisturized as after conditioner), or perhaps you could finger-comb your hair a bit more so you can get some more volume...

I would also suggest TRYING a protein treatment, and a deep moisture treatment. just to see if your hair likes them.

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
.... IMHO, if your hair is happy, you're doing it alright, so there's no need for any changes. And if it's not that happy... you should tell us what happens to it so we can further help.

btw, CO-wash is a must-try. be sure to get a good conditioner, though. cone-free would be ideal, but perhaps your hair likes cones... so try both. And if it makes your hair flat, it could be you're not rinsing it good enough (it should feel as clean as after shampoo, but as moisturized as after conditioner), or perhaps you could finger-comb your hair a bit more so you can get some more volume...

I would also suggest TRYING a protein treatment, and a deep moisture treatment. just to see if your hair likes them.

I'm definitely going to try co-washing. Maybe sometimes I could keep conditioner in my hair wrapped under the shower cap for 30 minutes-1 hour for extra moisture :)

Madora
November 8th, 2013, 08:11 AM

George Michael, the "Czar of Long Hair" recommended two shampooings also. The first shampoo is to remove the surface dirt from the hair and scalp.

The second shampooing was for massaging the shampoo into the scalp only..in small circular movements..in the head down position.

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 08:27 AM
George Michael, the "Czar of Long Hair" recommended two shampooings also. The first shampoo is to remove the surface dirt from the hair and scalp.

The second shampooing was for massaging the shampoo into the scalp only..in small circular movements..in the head down position.

I always wash my hair head down. I think it's easier to reach your scalp then.

patienceneeded
November 8th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Good advice here, but remember...we're all different! If you and your hair are happy, then keep doing what you're doing. If you want to try something new, make small changes and give it 2 weeks (or so) before making another change. This will make it easier to know what is working and what does not work for you.

I personally cannot stretch beyond 3 days of washing, nor do I really want to. I also can't wash my hair upside down without the most horrendous tangles ever. CO washing makes my hair fall out. However, there are many people here who swear by these methods and have wonderful successes. There is no "one method works for all," just lots of really great stuff to try.

Write down what works and what does not. It will make it easier to settle on a routine you like and can stick with.

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM
My wooden comb from The Body Shop arrived today. Going to try it tonight :)

lapushka
November 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
My wooden comb from The Body Shop arrived today. Going to try it tonight :)

I hope you like it. Looks like you have lots of new stuff to try still. :)

CO-washing definitely is worth a shot, however with my oily scalp... not good. My hair stayed greasy. Plus, we really need to be quick about washing hair, no time to let conditioner sit for 10 to 30 minutes. Instead, my hair gets shampood twice, and it gets conditioner twice as well, which is something I absolutely recommend to everybody, esp. after washing with harsher shampoos (esp. if you're a wavy).

nobeltonya
November 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
If this is what works with your hair, do it. Everyone's hair is different, and while there are certain things that are generally recognized as "bad for your hair," they may work for some. For instance, I am a daily washer.. always have been, and so far I haven't found anything else that works as well. But it hasn't affected my hair at all because I am nearly at Classic (was past Classic recently, almost fingertips). I also wear it down a lot. So you have to experiment and see what works for you. :) :disco:

BowTie
November 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
If this is what works with your hair, do it. Everyone's ha
ir is different, and while there are certain things that are generally recognized as "bad for your hair," they may work for some. For instance, I am a daily washer.. always have been, and so far I haven't found anything else that works as well. But it hasn't affected my hair at all because I am nearly at Classic (was past Classic recently, almost fingertips). I also wear it down a lot. So you have to experiment and see what works for you. :) :disco:

You're right everyone is different and everyone's hair is different =) You have beautiful hair so what you are doing must be working!

Foxylocks
November 8th, 2013, 06:01 PM
IMO, there is never anything "wrong" with someone's routine. If it works for you, it is a great routine. If someone uses sulfates and silicones and bleaches their hair, as long as it works for them, it is good routine. So keep it up if you like it! :)

GreenBloodyShoe
November 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Your routine sounds healthy and is similar to mine except I choose to wash and oil my hair every other day or every third day. My stepmother oils and washes twice a week as well and her hair looks very healthy. My mother used to follow a routine similar to your own and had hip length hair. (It's armpit/bra length now).

BowTie
November 9th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you for your replies. My wooden comb arrived yesterday. I love it! I comb my hair probably twice a day. It feels so gentle.

I feel stupid but what is the protein treatment excactly?

niky45
November 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
CO-washing definitely is worth a shot, however with my oily scalp... not good. My hair stayed greasy. Plus, we really need to be quick about washing hair, no time to let conditioner sit for 10 to 30 minutes.

... not sure about really greasy hair (not sure about how your hair is), but mine is greasier than dryer. and it LOVES CO-wash.

In my little experience, maybe you are not using enough conditioner (it MUST lather a bit... I use a handful for my pixie hair. you need LOTS of conditioner), or maybe you are not rinsing it enough (it should feel moisturized, but when I finish rinsing, I can't feel the conditioner, it's almost as if I had used shampoo).

CO-wash DOES work for removing oils. Even a heavy oiling (like EVOO or coconut). So, greasy hair doesn't have to mean that CO-wash is not for you.

And btw, I DON'T EVER let it more than, say, 5 minutes. I have no time for that, lol. Just pour it in, rub it A LOT, and rinse with A TON of water. You don't really need 30 min for it to work. ;) (but it does require a little more time than shampooing, but maybe 5 more minutes, not half a hour more)

... just trying to make sure that your hair actually doesn't like it, and not anything else

lapushka
November 10th, 2013, 12:13 PM
... not sure about really greasy hair (not sure about how your hair is), but mine is greasier than dryer. and it LOVES CO-wash.

In my little experience, maybe you are not using enough conditioner (it MUST lather a bit... I use a handful for my pixie hair. you need LOTS of conditioner), or maybe you are not rinsing it enough (it should feel moisturized, but when I finish rinsing, I can't feel the conditioner, it's almost as if I had used shampoo).

CO-wash DOES work for removing oils. Even a heavy oiling (like EVOO or coconut). So, greasy hair doesn't have to mean that CO-wash is not for you.

And btw, I DON'T EVER let it more than, say, 5 minutes. I have no time for that, lol. Just pour it in, rub it A LOT, and rinse with A TON of water. You don't really need 30 min for it to work. ;) (but it does require a little more time than shampooing, but maybe 5 more minutes, not half a hour more)

... just trying to make sure that your hair actually doesn't like it, and not anything else

Thanks so much for answering! Oh, believe me, I tried to like CO, and it was used tons of different ways (lots, less, more time, less time). I guess I'm just used to the squeaky clean feeling that shampoo gives me. To me, CO-washing just doesn't feel the same, IDK what it is but my hair just doesn't feel clean afterwards.

niky45
November 10th, 2013, 01:55 PM
your hair doesn't HAVE TO like it, but I had to be sure, just in case. Just because mine loves it. And, btw, mine IS squeaky clean after CO-wash... that's why I was trying to make sure you were doing it right.

hmmm... perhaps you can try it one more time? just to be sure? (... I don't want to be annoying, but .... I need to be sure you aren't missing something that good. :D ) ... just make sure it lathers, and then, while rinsing, make sure you rinse it to the point your hair feels as if you had not used conditioner at all. btw, mine has amodimethicone (not as sticky as plain dimethicone, but it's still a silicone), so it's not easy to lift it with water, but keep trying. Oh, and a side note: I CO-washed the other day with a cone-free conditioner, and... I think my hair prefers the coney one. :shrug:

Oh, and my "little secret": finish with an (undiluted) ACV rinse as a leave-in conditioner (don't rinse again with water). You should already know that undiluted ACV has a pH of 5, slightly acid-er(?) than your hair, and it will close the cuticle... and perhaps help further cleaning your hair. Not really sure about that since I haven't CO-washed without the final ACV rinse yet.

(repeating myself so you don't need to read my precious post again: just pour a lot of conditioner, and massage it into your scalp (and length if you do that with shampoo) until it lathers. keep massaging it a while more, like a minute or so. And then just pour water and keep massaging your hair until it feels as clean as after plain shampoo. Then finish with conditioner as usual, OR my secret: ACV as a leave-in. )

I feel stupid but what is the protein treatment excactly?
sorry. totally missed it while writing my last long answer.
look at this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109968

... but be careful: too much protein could lead to straw-like hair...
look also here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116715

... my hair likes it (I mixed some gelatin in one of my last hennas, AND, my conditioner has some protein. And my hair is happy), but keep in mind that, although it FEELS healthier than ever, it has been bleached, and box-dyed (and of course, hennaed), so it may need some more protein than non-bleached hair. I have read a lot of people here saying that just a little protein is too much for their hair.

lapushka
November 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
your hair doesn't HAVE TO like it, but I had to be sure, just in case. Just because mine loves it. And, btw, mine IS squeaky clean after CO-wash... that's why I was trying to make sure you were doing it right.

hmmm... perhaps you can try it one more time? just to be sure? (... I don't want to be annoying, but .... I need to be sure you aren't missing something that good. :D ) ... just make sure it lathers, and then, while rinsing, make sure you rinse it to the point your hair feels as if you had not used conditioner at all. btw, mine has amodimethicone (not as sticky as plain dimethicone, but it's still a silicone), so it's not easy to lift it with water, but keep trying. Oh, and a side note: I CO-washed the other day with a cone-free conditioner, and... I think my hair prefers the coney one. :shrug:

Oh, and my "little secret": finish with an (undiluted) ACV rinse as a leave-in conditioner (don't rinse again with water). You should already know that undiluted ACV has a pH of 5, slightly acid-er(?) than your hair, and it will close the cuticle... and perhaps help further cleaning your hair. Not really sure about that since I haven't CO-washed without the final ACV rinse yet.

(repeating myself so you don't need to read my precious post again: just pour a lot of conditioner, and massage it into your scalp (and length if you do that with shampoo) until it lathers. keep massaging it a while more, like a minute or so. And then just pour water and keep massaging your hair until it feels as clean as after plain shampoo. Then finish with conditioner as usual, OR my secret: ACV as a leave-in. )

Thanks for your efforts and for trying to convince me, but... no. I'm sticking with shampoo. The routine I have now is lovely for my wavy hair, and because I also have a scalp condition (SD), I *need* a harsh cleansing shampoo.

Thanks anyway! :flower:

niky45
November 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Your hair being happy is what really matters, not how you get there. :D If it likes shampoo, then you better use it.

lapushka
November 10th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Your hair being happy is what really matters, not how you get there. :D If it likes shampoo, then you better use it.

Right on! :D :thumbsup: