PDA

View Full Version : I am becoming a HUGE fan of updo's.

ProverbsGirl
November 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
When I first joined this site..I had a lot to learn..and still do!. lol when I first started following and then later got to join..I didn't understand all of the buns and updos. I kept thinking if I get it that long I'm going to want it down all the time.
However..since my hair is slowly starting to inch down past my shoulders and now past apl. It gets tangled very easily and I have been stretching washes.
I finally just this week decided to do something (bun, updo, braid, something) every day for a week and see if it helped. OMGosh! I love how knot free it is at the end of the day when I take it down..instead of a huge bunch of knots! Plus it is up out of the way and looks nice all day.
Now..I need a bun/updo for every day of the week! Time to dive into the bun threads!
My current fav is the sock bun and yesterday was a braided side bun! eep!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the wonderful people on here who share such amazing hair advice! I might actually make it to hip this time. :)

nobeltonya
November 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM
While I generally prefer to leave mine loose as much as possible, updos are a huge savior for me and my hair sometimes.. when I'm at home lately, I'm putting it up in some sort of bun: lazy wrap, nautilus, bee-butt, topknot [love those! :D].. or if it's windy outside, or super hot or cold.. yay for all the nifty updos! The longer your hair gets, the more possibilities there are! :D :disco:

Marbid
November 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Yup. Right now, buns are such a big part of my hair routine that I am having a hard time letting my hair down because it messes up with my hair routine. I seem unable to find a time to let my hair down. hooray for buns being soo good for your hair. very nice.

livelycurls
November 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to make an updo

Madora
November 7th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Yes, updos are of great help in achieving healthy hair lengths, plus, as you've found, great for vanquishing the horrid tangles that happen when you leave your hair down. So versatile too! You'll have lots of fun experimenting with buns and braids as your hair grows longer and as you've seen, there's plenty of inspiration here!

vindo
November 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Until waist length I always wore my hair down, because I just did not know what to do with it. Updos have given me so much more variety! :)
And while I still wear my hair down often nowadays, I wear a variety of updos during the week, also many of the more "modern" braided styles.

Phlegmatic
November 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I try to do up-dos as often as I can, but as I'm not particularly skilled at braiding the back of my head yet, I'm usually left with a lazy bun or a strange attempt at a crown braid. The day before I wash my hair (I do so once or twice a week), my roots usually look a bit dingy, so I try to conceal them with a topknot or lace-braiding. Unfortunately, I don't have enough length to do hair taping yet, but I am very excited to be able to do that in the future!

carrielynn
November 21st, 2013, 01:00 PM
I definitely agree! Today was a wash day for me (2-3x a week) and while I'm excited with how well my waves are behaving with my hair down, looking at all the photos on this site makes me want to keep practicing updos (though all I have are hair ties and pencils to work with for now)! :)

Cheyne
November 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hair sticks! I love them! I only joined a month ago and one of the first posts I read was about hair sticks. I thought, "There's no way those will hold my hair while working." So I tried them and what a surprize! I was using hinged clips that gave me a headache after a few hours, but the hair sticks are comfortable all day.

Nekomanta
November 21st, 2013, 01:49 PM
I love to making updos on my hair, and on LHC i found a lot of updos i've never seen and heard about before, for example the vortex bun that is really easy but it looks really nice. Now I'm changing my hair updo few times every day because I want to learn and practise new ones :) and I want to have long hair as never before, really.
I thought that is really weird to growing hair and to wearing it in a updo, now I'm waiting to have longer hairs for more updos!

alishaxmarie
November 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM
Hair sticks! I love them! I only joined a month ago and one of the first posts I read was about hair sticks. I thought, "There's no way those will hold my hair while working." So I tried them and what a surprize! I was using hinged clips that gave me a headache after a few hours, but the hair sticks are comfortable all day.

I second this! :D I've tried the cinnabun but don't see a point of using sticks or other toys to secure that since it stays on its own. I can also do the lazy wrap bun and the disc bun but my hair seems too short for a nautilus or an infinity/figure 8 bun.

Does anyone have suggestions for updos?

Madora
November 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
Perhaps this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You might also visit Torrin Paige's site on You Tube for very instructive hair tutorials.

askan
November 21st, 2013, 02:31 PM
Aw, I wish I was super skilled or really did look good in all updos. What I usually did before was back combing my bangs (spray a little!) and pin them back to create a bump, let a few strands loose at the temples and make a messy bun held by elastics in the back.
Anyway, I trial and error! I have named one "the Armadillo" (single french braid - it's mostly french and not so much braid as my hair is pretty short). I also did "the Rooster Tail" yesterday when I tucked the tiny end of my frenchbraid up and the ends stuck up in a perfectly ridiculous little tail.

heidi w.
November 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
I was hoping to see pictures, but there don't seem to be any.
heidi w.

jacqueline101
November 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I agree with you my hair style knowledge was very little and as I learned I tried new things. I love to try new things. I'm still limited as to what my skills are. I'm still trying to learn new things.

meteor
November 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
That's so true for me too! :) I think the biggest change to my routine since joining the LHC has been wearing hair up almost all the time, and it's definitely the best solution for keeping tangles at bay. I feel like updos give me the opportunity to experience short hair off my neck and back, and doing updos also saves so much time and effort for many other activities.
But I have to admit that my BF and friends complain that I never show off my hair, saying "what's the point of having long hair, if it's always up?"