PDA

View Full Version : Product help for a complete newb to this!

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I need to find silicone and sulfate free conditioner, and shampoo (I want to go no shampoo, but I need to wash my scalp 2 times a month or its gets soooo itchy) that are not hugely expensive.(I'm thinking nothing more then 10 bucks a bottle...I'm not comfortable spending more then that on this since I dont yet know what my hair needs or what will work.)

But seeing as how I have NO IDEA what to look for i'm lost. The only product I can find that sulfate free has silicone in it.

If theres no reasonably priced condtioners/shampoos that meet that above are there any natural options I can use instead that wont break my budget? I'm a blank slate and have no idea what works for my hair since I have never had healthy unprocessed hair!

The only things i've used in place of shampoo that worked great for me was white vinegar and baking soda, but as for natural conditioners I'm unsure.

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I dont know my hair type, the hair type info under my avatar was for my heavily processed hair, I have no idea my natural hair type anymore as I have not let it grow out long enough without bleaching or dyeing heavily in years.

TenaciousTangle
November 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I swear by Desert Essence coconut shampoo and conditioner. I just love that brand so much. The coconut line makes my hair really silky and tame and there's something in the cream rinse that soaks into my hair and makes it so conditioned and happy (and no, it's not coconut oil! haha. I use a ton of that anyway). They're sulfate, 'cone, and everything-else free and cost about 7-10 dollars depending on where you buy them.

https://www.desertessence.com/store/coconut-shampoo Hey, they have a website!

ETA: I sound like a commercial, don't I? ;) They do have flaws. The shampoo nearly freezes in the winter and it's hard to get out of the bottle.

AspenSong
November 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM
There should be plenty of well priced items you can find! I don't go over that price myself for most of my stuff, so it's doable.
I personally love the Natures Gate line of Shampoos and Conditioners. I LOVE the Awapuhi because it smells like heaven to me, but the Biotin one is nice too and minty smelling. I get those at Sprouts or Whole Foods.

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'm going to look these all up to see about getting them soon :) thanks

Hootenanny
November 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
All of the Shea Moisture lines are sulfate and silicone free. You can find them in any CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc. If you dilute the shampoos, they last forever! :)

biogirl87
November 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Scelesta, I know that L'oreal Eversleek Sulfate-free Intense Smoothing Shampoo and L'oreal Evercreme Sulfate-free Nourishing Shampoo do not have cones in them. Also, in general it is only after your hair grows to below ear length that you start needing to condition it since when the hair is shorter than ear length, the sebum is enough to condition it. Hope this helps a bit.

BlazingHeart
November 7th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Ymmv on not needing conditioner w/ super short hair, I needed it once I had more than 2" of hair.

I think the Trader Joe's everyday spa stuff is sulfate and cone free, and under $4/bottle.

Long_hair_bear
November 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
There should be plenty of well priced items you can find! I don't go over that price myself for most of my stuff, so it's doable.
I personally love the Natures Gate line of Shampoos and Conditioners. I LOVE the Awapuhi because it smells like heaven to me, but the Biotin one is nice too and minty smelling. I get those at Sprouts or Whole Foods.

I second Natures Gate! Lovely stuff!

AspenSong
November 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Scelesta, I know that L'oreal Eversleek Sulfate-free Intense Smoothing Shampoo and L'oreal Evercreme Sulfate-free Nourishing Shampoo do not have cones in them. Also, in general it is only after your hair grows to below ear length that you start needing to condition it since when the hair is shorter than ear length, the sebum is enough to condition it. Hope this helps a bit.

This is one of my "splurge" conditioners! Since it's a bit smaller amount for right at $8-$9 for places here, I only get it when I feel I can afford the extra on top of my usual conditioners - I haven't used the shampoo yet, but the conditioner is Awesome. I love the scents on these too and they seem to stay in my hair better than any other conditioners, so after I use them for the next three days...I sit around and sniff my hair and sigh. lol.

Kelikea
November 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I also have the Desert Essence coconut, and have tried a couple of the Nature's Gate organics. I order them from vitacost or swansons to keep the price down. If you like BS and vinegar, you could always just add a conditioner to that routine, if needed. I think both suave and vO5 have silicone free conditioners for less than $1 for regular size, $1.50 for family size.