PDA

View Full Version : I'm hopeless with hairtoys!

BowTie
November 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
My hair has broken two hair sticks from Claire's. Well, I can still use them but it'd be nicer if my hair didn't do that.
Barrettes are dangerous as sometimes I accidentally lock it in the wrong way...:rolleyes:
Big jaw clips are probably the safest option for me. My hair doesn't break them and they don't break my hair:p

bunzfan
November 7th, 2013, 07:24 AM
First off the sticks in claires are plastic as are claws that's why they brake easily you need a nice flexi 8 which wont brake http://www.flexi8.com/ and when long enough a wood hair fork you could wear ficcares easily enough in a French twist my enabling for the day is done :p

livelycurls
November 7th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I love flexi8's

Applegirl84
November 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I'm still getting the hang of my Ficcarre, but my flexi8 is really easy to use. My layers make hair sticks tricky sometimes, but a disc bun holds extremely well.

heidi w.
November 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM
You pushed too hard, that's why it broke.
I have a house filled with hair toys, and I've shown lots of people how to decorate their hair. You need lessons. This is easy. Watch what your fingers do when, and note especially the thumb.
heidi w.

Anje
November 7th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Mine's eaten a few plastic sticks, too. A lot of those were just stress fractures, too -- they tended to give me a few months of good use, and then the material just couldn't take the stress anymore and would snap, sometimes in the middle of the day without any warning or handling.

To a point, making sure that your updos don't put a lot of torque or pressure to curve on a stick can help, and it's usually a good idea to make sure updos aren't quite that tight anyway. But plastics are often weak and limited-lifespan.

Put them on your hair's Kill List, paint an appropriate symbol for each one your hair takes out on the back of your brush like you're a fighter pilot, and try try again.

browneyedsusan
November 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM
*snip*
Put them on your hair's Kill List, paint an appropriate symbol for each one your hair takes out on the back of your brush like you're a fighter pilot, and try try again.

Brilliant!
I'm all over it!

Spindle
November 7th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Maybe you could have a go with antler? Mine is really solid compared to sticks :)

DweamGoiL
November 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I have a bone to pick with the EVIL temptress who discovered these Flexi-8 things. I just ordered 4 of them. Ouch, my wallet is hurtin'!

BowTie
November 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I love sticks though. They hold my pretty thick and slippery hair very well. Just need to buy hetter ones..:D

Johannah
November 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I broke so many sticks, pfoew. And then I bought I ketylo. Problem solved.

niky45
November 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
what about metal sticks? like, those hair swords, or stainless steel chopsticks?

... I LOVE steel, because no matter what, it will last....

freesia
November 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
The first stick that I broke (because of a way too tight bun) was a wooden one, which I liked so much that I could not throw it away...
It snapped right in the middle, and finally I fixed it with some strong glue. The tiny glue bubble hides in my buns, so it's as good as before.
Now I'm extra careful with the tightness of the up-dos I try, and I have this hair stick to remind me :o

Long_hair_bear
November 7th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I love sticks though. They hold my pretty thick and slippery hair very well. Just need to buy hetter ones..:D

Try Eaduard Hairsticks on Etsy.... budget friendly and waterproof :)

caren
November 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Try Eaduard Hairsticks on Etsy.... budget friendly and waterproof :)

Seconded. The acrylic is really, really strong, besides the fact that they are just gorgeous.