PDA

View Full Version : End of the world hairdo?

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ok, i do my best to avoid reality, but sometimes i fail and something depressing slips in....this thing on thursday (10th sept) about a machine being switched on that'll cause a black hole and...i don't even know what it'll do....but anyway, my usual response to anticipating a crisis is to make sure my hair looks nice and that i accessorise well.....so i'm going to henna this week, but not sure what to do with my hair....if i knew for certain this black hole thing was going to happen i'd flat iron, can't be worse in terms of damage than getting sucked into a black hole anyway, but i don't actually own any. So i'm sort of wondering how to wear my hair now.....

Are any of you planning end of the world hairdo's?

HairyCarrie
September 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM
LOL over your post

:rollin:

BTW: the "other" LHC (Large Hadron Collider)
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/08/27/large-hadron-collider-rap-is-a-hit/

Beatnik Guy
September 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
LOL. Patrick Moore said that the probability of the other-LHC causing a black hole was the same as a UFO landing on the Loch Ness Monster's head next week, so you are wise to be prepared ChloeDharma.

It might just find a particle called the Higgs Boson (aka 'god particle') though, which'd be prettty cool. :cool:

mellie
September 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
What an awesome post! ChloeDharma, you crack me up!:rollin:

I think that if the world is ending, I'd like to make sure my hair was in a fun, yet kick-butt anime style and I had my roller skates on - so I'd look like some kind of awesome, ready to take on anything, wheeled superhero!

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM
LOL. Patrick Moore said that the probability of the other-LHC causing a black hole was the same as a UFO landing on the Loch Ness Monster's head next week, so you are wise to be prepared ChloeDharma.

It might just find a particle called the Higgs Boson (aka 'god particle') though, which'd be prettty cool. :cool:

Ah, ok, that's reassuring....i still don't quite get the point though, but the other image i had in my head was like on buffy, when that demi-god gloria was looking for a key who was dawn buffy's sister (who has stunning hair!) to open some portal thing and she got some of dawns blood and managed to open it and these demon monster things were coming through so buffy (also with amazing hair in that episode) had to jump into it to close it because they realised they both have the same blood.....but anyway, so that was another thing i thought of.....and if you are going to be rescued by emergency services you really need to look your best i think.
I know it sounds like i'm joking....but when i was having to escape from the 12th floor of a burning building (where i last lived) my main thought was checking myself out in reflective surfaces and swishing my hair about as i ran thinking "if i have to go thank god i look this good!" just pure luck i had spent ages on my makeup and just smoothed out my hair with a BBB when the alarm went.

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM
What an awesome post! ChloeDharma, you crack me up!:rollin:

I think that if the world is ending, I'd like to make sure my hair was in a fun, yet kick-butt anime style and I had my roller skates on - so I'd look like some kind of awesome, ready to take on anything, wheeled superhero!

Lol thanks hun xxx

That image sounds fab! I'm thinking tight hipsters and a tie front navel revealing top

epiphanee
September 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'd just put my childhood blankie over my head.

longhairedfairy
September 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I swear I thought you were serious at first! LMAO!

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Well, I know what I would be doing if it were the end of the world . . . and my hair doesn't enter into it.

Well, maybe a little bit . . . but mostly it involves someone saying, "Who's your daddy?"

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I swear I thought you were serious at first! LMAO!

No really, i was.....i'm a bit reassured by beatnik's post, but still going to make sure i have my face on, hair nice and a decent outfit on on thursday just in case

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Well, I know what I would be doing if it were the end of the world . . . and my hair doesn't enter into it.

Well, maybe a little bit . . . but mostly it involves someone saying, "Who's your daddy?"

OMG darlin i love you! I actually was wondering who i could play horizontal aerobics with and messaged someone on MSN but didn't think i should bring it up here :p

mellie
September 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
So naughty! You girls! :p

So, what exactly is happening on Thursday? Sorry, I must have missed the memo...

ChloeDharma
September 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM

So, what exactly is happening on Thursday? Sorry, I must have missed the memo...

That machine thing is being switched on.....i don't really know what it does.....but some people are being all "the end is nigh!" about it.

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM

That machine thing is being switched on.....i don't really know what it does.....but some people are being all "the end is nigh!" about it.

Here is exactly what it does:

LHC Rap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM)

longhairedfairy
September 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'll have to put that down in my calendar! Fix hair for Thursday...

Beatnik Guy
September 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
The Large Hadron Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider) is being switched on. Actually, it'll not be fully operational for several weeks though.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well, if this were to happen (which after reading Beatnik Guy's first post, I can see is a possibility :p), I would wear my hair down. That's the way I like it best. :agree:

And yes, I'd be having some fun. :)

mellie
September 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Haha, thanks Silver & Gold! Cute video! Although I was confused a little bit about the use of "LHC"!

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
OMG darlin i love you! I actually was wondering who i could play horizontal aerobics with and messaged someone on MSN but didn't think i should bring it up here :p

Hey, I'm just keepin' it real.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Haha, thanks Silver & Gold! Cute video! Although I was confused a little bit about the use of "LHC"!
LHC is also an acronym for Large Hadron Collider. :)

Hue
September 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Laughing. Out. Loud.

ChloeDharma, what a riot of a thread. If the end of the world were nigh, I'd be trying to hide in my hair, I think. Kind of like the 2nd grade spelling exams, when I didn't want anyone else to read my answers. But with less likelihood of getting the dipthongs right.

So, long, loose, and heavy on the braid waves.

SHELIAANN1969
September 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
That video was rockin!!

I will be wearing my hair in its usual way, a tight bun, as I will be working.

If there is a big boom and the aliens arrive (in their purple helicopters) I will look at them severely and say "there will be no easy going for me" and I will be kickin and screaming the whole time.

Unless of course they take me to a really cool alien dance club and I will show them "The Robot" (whereas the REAL robots will look at me like wtf? that dance craze went out eons ago, that is NOT logical)

:cheese:

<She>
September 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
A great thread, ChloeDharma!

In case something happens on thursday, I will have my hair loose and have my make-up on and be a bit dressed up (I will have to go to the dentist anyway:)).

nastasska
September 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
No It can't end on Thursday I have a Flamenco lesson;)

The world was actually supposed to end on 5th May 2000 when the planets aligned for the first time in ages and of course the Mayans will be very put out if it does end on Thursday because they've got it penciled in for December 2012:bs:

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I've been alive almost 53 years and it seems that as long as I can remember there was something or other that was going to cause the end of the world. I actually fretted over it in my younger years, but have reached the point that if and when something cataclysmic happens, I hope that me and my little family are all together in a "cuddle puddle". :cloud9:

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've been alive almost 53 years and it seems that as long as I can remember there was something or other that was going to cause the end of the world. I actually fretted over it in my younger years, but have reached the point that if and when something cataclysmic happens, I hope that me and my little family are all together in a "cuddle puddle". :cloud9:

But what about your hair? :D

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Hee hee . . . apparently the thought of the end of existence so discombobulated her that she forgot about 'the important stuff'. Thank god there are people like you to come back and remind us of what really matters!

dor3girl
September 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I think I would whip up a sensible braid. It worked while I was in labor & the end of the world can't get any worse than childbirth without drugs!

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM

ACK!! How could I have forgotten the most important part!! It will be in a side braid so that all the people and doggies in my cuddle puddle don't get all tangled up in it!! :gabigrin:

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hee hee . . . apparently the thought of the end of existence so discombobulated her that she forgot about 'the important stuff'. Thank god there are people like you to come back and remind us of what really matters!

Exactly. Thank you, Silver & Gold. :bow: Someone has to be the voice of reason. :)

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
ACK!! How could I have forgotten the most important part!! It will be in a side braid so that all the people and doggies in my cuddle puddle don't get all tangled up in it!! :gabigrin:

Now, that's a very sensible hairstyle, Xandergrammy. That's the kind of advice we needed. :)

Lady Godiva
September 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
ChloeDharma, I love your style. :laugh:

That said, I'm more concerned about the asteroid Apophis slated to impact planet Earth (http://www.russiatoday.com/scitech/news/28014) in the year 2036. I hope that by then my ex-bangs finally will have reached the floor and I've documented the fact in photos.

OK, so it might not hit planet Earth, too. :p

Hue
September 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I think I would whip up a sensible braid.

Come to think of it, there is precedent for braids as war weapons. Ka-tchung!

I knock you over with the power of my head. Er, hairs. Hair. My braid of justice!

WritingPrincess
September 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
ChloeDharma, I love your style. :laugh:

That said, I'm more concerned about the asteroid Apophis slated to impact planet Earth (http://www.russiatoday.com/scitech/news/28014) in the year 2036. I hope that by then my ex-bangs finally will have reached the floor and I've documented the fact in photos.

OK, so it might not hit planet Earth, too. :p
:lol: LG, you are a hoot! But then, saying something like that shows that you went native long, long, long ago.

anna1850
September 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Oh well, I guess I can cancel that dentist's appointment I have on Friday...

Actually, I'm really curious to see what they do find when it's switched on. For anyone who doesn't really understand it, the basic idea is they send some tiny particles whizzing round a massive ring undergroud in Switzerland and they smash them into each other at incredibly high speeds and see what happens. It's really fascinating. They might discover a new type of particle.

I heard a comedian (I think it might have been Ed Byrne) talking about it recently saying that when they do use it, nothing could happen or it could create a black hole which would destroy the Earth, which is a pretty large margin of error :)

Lady Godiva
September 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I heard a comedian (I think it might have been Ed Byrne) talking about it recently saying that when they do use it, nothing could happen or it could create a black hole which would destroy the Earth, which is a pretty large margin of error :)
Oh, piffle. That's nothing compared to cutting our hair from long to short, now, dear.

:silly:

renarok
September 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I love this thread. It puts everything into perspective. I think I will have my hair fly free at the end of time.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Oh, piffle. That's nothing compared to cutting our hair from long to short, now, dear.

:silly:

Very well put, Lady Godiva.

Xanthippe
September 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'm excited! I can hardly wait for it to be turned on. :D I like both LHCs. I think I might actually wear my hair down as a celebration of the testing. Or maybe I should do some sort of a crown braid to represent the path of the beams and wear my CERN t-shirt. :silly:

Large Hadron Collider Switch-on Fears Are Completely Unfounded, Report Finds (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080904220342.htm):

A new report provides the most comprehensive evidence available to confirm that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)’s switch-on, due on Wednesday next week, poses no threat to mankind. Nature’s own cosmic rays regularly produce more powerful particle collisions than those planned within the LHC, which will enable nature’s laws to be studied in controlled experiments.
(emphasis added by me)

So don't worry about it, it's already been happening all around us, just not in as controlled an environment as the Large Hadron Collider. Cosmic rays slam into the atmosphere all the time with more energy and we're all still here.

Solange
September 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM

But there happens to be a Loch Ness monster in the Bay of Fundy, and increased UFO sightings in Eastern Canada in the past few years. ;OP

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM

:rollin: I haven't heard that expression "Oh, piffle" since my aunt used to say it when I was little (which was a looooong time ago). Thanks for the giggle. :gabigrin:

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Actually, I'm really curious to see what they do find when it's switched on. For anyone who doesn't really understand it, the basic idea is they send some tiny particles whizzing round a massive ring undergroud in Switzerland and they smash them into each other at incredibly high speeds and see what happens. It's really fascinating. They might discover a new type of particle.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou, anna1850 for this wonderful explanation of The Other LHC for Idiots. I was afraid to click on any of the links for fear that I would be hopelessly befuddled and so out of the loop. Now I understand. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

dorothea-brooke
September 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I love the fact that its acronym is LHC! Every time I read about it I have a little giggle, imagining perhaps a giant ring full of longhairs underground in Switzerland, whipping their hair around at incredible speeds, hoping the violent collision of braid tassels and flying hairsticks will reveal the deepest secrets about the composition of space-time.

Now, as for my hairdo on Thursday. :hmm: I think I shall wear it in a half-up, a style I associate with fairy princesses, in honor of the mystical magical imminent end of the world.

:)

Snowymoon
September 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think I will stuff my hair in a hat like this (http://kellsmurthwaite.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/dunce.jpg), as it is what I think of humanity as a whole right now :crazyq:--especially concerning things like this. :silly: Yeah. :rolleyes:

manderly
September 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well, since I'm certain the end is actually coming December 2012......I suppose I shall have my glorious classic locks down in all their glory, perhaps with rag curls at the ends.

I may have to get a circlet or tiara of some sort.......and I shall have to dress in the most extravagant princess gown I can get my hands on. You only live once, and I'd want to wear something that I'd normally get funny looks for. :)

Yeesha
September 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I love the LHC (both^^)...

And therefore I'm gonna make two tiny buns (bear-ears? How do you call them in english?^^) or pigtails and throw a party. :D

And I hope, that's not the end of the world, because some day in the future, when I have my PHD (haha, good joke^^ I'm in the second year of study^^), I would love to work with the LHC... ^^ I dream about it since I was a child... *g* So I'm kind of looking forward to the big day. :D

Beatnik Guy
September 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
imagining perhaps a giant ring full of longhairs underground in Switzerland, whipping their hair around at incredible speeds, hoping the violent collision of braid tassels and flying hairsticks will reveal the deepest secrets about the composition of space-time.
Love that image. :disco:

Longlove
September 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Um.., HI! I'm new here... I thought this was a message board for long hair. Physics, Schmyzics!

Anyway, WHY would anyone want to accelerate their particles?! Mine are going too fast as it is. And I'm not exactly sure what a "black hole" is, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I guess God should retrieve me the way God sent me: Naked and crying with my hair worn down. Maybe a little bit cleaner, though?

dorothea-brooke
September 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Love that image. :disco:

Hee! And don't think it wouldn't work, too! :D

I guess God should retrieve me the way God sent me: Naked and crying with my hair worn down. Maybe a little bit cleaner, though?

An excellent plan.

Did you have long hair when you were born??? ;)

Longlove
September 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Actually, I was uber-bald! It took 2 years for mom to manage one of those silly dinosaur curls on the top of my head. I hear my blonde newborn peachfuzz was quite luxurious, though....

Anyway, I've always had really good hair that has always been long. So nobody believes me when I tell the tale of my "follicularly challenged" years.

Elenna
September 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'd just put my childhood blankie over my head.

That's my response too. Hide under the blanket.

intothemist1999
September 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think I'll just strip down naked (because I can) and let the solars wind whip through my hair.

Someone give me a heads up.

:D

justgreen
September 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ahhhh I think I'll just wear my hair down, as usual.....

sapphire-o
September 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What time do they turn it on? I think I'll be sleeping, and probably not thinking about my hair. :D Maybe I should wash it the night before so it's clean at least.

MotherConfessor
September 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Wobbly antennae hairband, that way if the aliens have to decide who to save first they will think i'm one of them.

GoldenRed
September 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Foil cap, all the way!

willowcandra
September 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
omg you know what? I flipped about the LHC too. I even blogged about it. But after reading stuff I calmed down. It's not likely to cause a black hole and apparently if it could it would decay in seconds.

But come the 10th I will be sure to wear a pretty bun.:cool:

Nyghtingale
September 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Foil cap, all the way!
LOL. Great idea!

spidermom
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Frump as usual for me.

Adrienne
September 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I 2nd that! lol. :eyebrows:

WritingPrincess
September 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Slight hijack here. My dad can't see why it could at all create a black hole, because the minimum amount of mass necessary for a black hole is several times that which is in the sun, and there is nowhere near enough on Earth, so how could it create a black hole at all?

DragonLady
September 8th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Slight hijack here. My dad can't see why it could at all create a black hole, because the minimum amount of mass necessary for a black hole is several times that which is in the sun, and there is nowhere near enough on Earth, so how could it create a black hole at all?

I don't think it can. I don't know if we have enough mass, but I'm sure we don't have enough unharnassed energy. And even if there was enough energy generated to create one, it would die the instant the splat occurred -just like turning off the electricity to a lamp.

There's nothing to be afraid of.

FrannyG
September 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Frump as usual for me.

That could be another new club we could create, like the Tight-Bunned Mean Ladies (and Gents) Club. If so, I'm in! :D