PDA

View Full Version : does this look like reasonable good hair growth?

OrganicJewel
November 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm wondering if I can get some opinions on how this looks for hair growth. The reason why I am asking is because I do get some hair breakage on my ends from old bleach. The white line is what I had my hair cut to at the end of February of this year (unfortunately I lost my old hair pics, but I know where it was cut to by my tattoo), I had five inches of damaged hair cut off. Since then I've had a one inch trim and a half an inch trim, for a total of 1.5 inches off, in total this is over eight months of growth. I feel like my progress is very slow and I'm worried that even though my hair is sort of healthy now (I very rarely use heat and no chemicals), that the bleach damage and probably old heat damage is really slowing down my progress (I have a lot of white dots and splits :/ ), so I'm contemplating if I should have a bigger trim, even though my goal was to s&d until I do a one inch trim in the Spring. Thanks!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/555e0e6d-5de9-4332-bae8-d554abcbc459_zps86abebab.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/555e0e6d-5de9-4332-bae8-d554abcbc459_zps86abebab.jpg.html)

Aingeal
November 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I think it's good growth! It looks like you have about four inches, maybe more below your line. Add the inch and a half and that's probably around 5-6 inches in eight months! Not bad at all. I'm not there to measu, but that's my guesstimate. :).

Naiadryade
November 6th, 2013, 08:08 PM
It looks like good growth to me! Average is around half an inch per month. Including the extra inch and a half you've cut off, it looks like you're above average growth. Of course this is an estimate as I have no way of measuring your hair. But it looks good and healthy, your hemline is quite thick! I think you should stick with your goal. Good luck!

askan
November 6th, 2013, 08:21 PM
It looks like decent growth to me, especially if you have trimmed a bit.
I have also grown out and trimmed away bleach damaged hair and for me I don't think it slowed down the growth (the scalp can't feel the broken ends!). I didn't take very good care of my ends though and wasn't able to grow it longer for as I had to trim loads. Now almost two years later I think I'm finally rid of most of the old bleach.

It's super boring to have to trim because of something you did ages ago, but if you have a lot of damage maybe it's worth it. I can't see if your hair is layered, if not maybe that's an idea to get rid of damage but keep most of the length?

OrganicJewel
November 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it doesn't look like I'm losing a ton to breakage. When I first cut my hair it measured 17 inches. I haven't measured it since, but did just now to see and it's 21.25 inches, not bad, I guess very very slightly above average rate.

Askan, I do have a lot of layers already, but thanks for the suggestion! Maybe microtrimming would be an option. Isn't bleach damage the worst? I haven't had a major bleaching since February 2011, so very close to two years and I'm still dealing with it. Never ever again!!!