PDA

View Full Version : How to do this bun

earthnut
November 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ae8X9d-GNEk/UnqilzG8tgI/AAAAAAAAA20/Yx7QEp0Lgss/w642-h478-no/hair11-amyschoice.png

The ends are sticking out, maybe some kind of knot?

Hootenanny
November 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Is it some kind of peacock twist? Do you know how long her hair is when it's down?

Johannah
November 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Indeed looks like a peacock-twist-thing!

florenonite
November 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Is it some kind of peacock twist? Do you know how long her hair is when it's down?

Her hair's around BSL - and she's something like 5'11". It does look like a peacock twist, but I've never been able to work out how the ends are so short. In season 4 of Buffy the titular character, though not as tall, wears her BSL hair in a similar style, as well as a normal peacock twist:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090117211830/buffy/images/f/fd/412_NewMan1.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090119233156/buffy/images/8/86/407_TheInitiative3.jpg

spirals
November 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm at waist and I can do it. It's good for thickies. I twist to the right, leaving the ends out, and insert a long stick from the upper right diagonally to the lower left. It will hold if you catch the hair correctly. Pins work, too, but they are painful for me. I have also used claw clips.

Kherome
November 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
That is not a bun at all. It's a french twist with the ends left out instead of tucked in.

DweamGoiL
November 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM
That is not a bun at all. It's a french twist with the ends left out instead of tucked in.

That's what I was going to say, too :)

Hootenanny
November 6th, 2013, 08:06 PM
That's what I was going to say, too :)

Looks like we all agree... it's a peacock twist! Yay! Puzzle solved. :cool::cheese::cool:

BlazingHeart
November 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM
No, not a peacock twist. A French twist with the ends left out. Dreamgoil and Kherome have the right of it. You can tell by the way the hair is smooth over the outside of the bump, if it was a peacock twist it would look twisted.

DJgang
November 6th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Yeah French twist with the ends left out....

I'm no longer able to do this, way too much hair left over (I'm BSL) but this was something I did for years at shoulder length and APL, etc.

florenonite
November 7th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Okay, so could someone explain how you do a French twist and leave the ends out? The way I do a French twist at BSL (the same length as in the pics), the ends are at the bottom; I twist from the nape upwards, then twist the remainder and tuck it in, top down. I feel like you'd need much longer (and thinner) hair to do it with the ends at the top.

Bagginslover
November 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Whats the difference between a french twist with ends out, and a peacock twist then? I though a french twist was a peacock with no ends, making an ends-out one a peacock!

Her hair is (was, she shaved it all off!) BSL plus, so there must be some hidden twisting in there ;)

DJgang
November 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Just do not tuck the ends down. clip your hair with a claw clip, I guess that's what they are called.

Start nape of neck, twist, then clip about where you would normally start twisting back down and tucking. Just leave that hair out.

My hair is too long, the left out tail is long enough to reach back down to the nape of my neck. I personally do not like it but you might.

Good luck!!! Sorry if my post didn't help ya any.

florenonite
November 7th, 2013, 05:35 AM
DJGang: What you're describing is a peacock twist, and that's not what this is; the ends are too short for her BSL hair. That's what's been puzzling me. Maybe if you start twisting down at the crown, then tuck the length so the ends come out the top?

Lyv
November 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Her hair didn't look that long to me in that episode and it's curled ( http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/doctor-who/images/12555536/title/5x07-amys-choice-screencap ) so I think it's just a regular peacock twist.

Peggy E.
November 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Yeah French twist with the ends left out....

I'm no longer able to do this, way too much hair left over (I'm BSL) but this was something I did for years at shoulder length and APL, etc.

This was what I was going to say and I'm wondering if there wouldn't be some way of tucking the excess "twist" under and still managing to leave the "tail" out?

My hair is also too long to simply do a French twist and leave the top out, unless I wanted it folded over and hanging down. So, think maybe I'll put my money where my mouth is and give my idea a try! ;o)

Hootenanny
November 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Whats the difference between a french twist with ends out, and a peacock twist then? I though a french twist was a peacock with no ends, making an ends-out one a peacock!

This is my question too. What's the difference? I thought a peacock twist WAS a french twist with the ends sticking out?

Anje
November 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'm thinking a short french twist with the length tucked in like an "N" would do that, if that makes sense.

DJgang
November 7th, 2013, 11:14 AM
DJGang: What you're describing is a peacock twist, and that's not what this is; the ends are too short for her BSL hair. That's what's been puzzling me. Maybe if you start twisting down at the crown, then tuck the length so the ends come out the top?

Oh. Now I'm confused. Those pics look like shorter hair. I'm puzzled.

Unicorn
November 7th, 2013, 11:37 AM

I once saw instructions for a French Roll for longer hair, with a variation of leaving the ends spraying out the top. It was a long time ago so I can't remember where I found it.

However the method involved doing an initial loose twist, going downwards, then folding the twist up, tucking it under the roll, nds could be tucked creating the standard roll or allowed to poke out he top.

ETA: this link shows the exploding roll on shorter hair, the version for longer hair doesn't use the initial bobby pins.

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/french-twist-00100000074566/#7

Unicorn

florenonite
November 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Unicorn: Okay, that sounds pretty much like doing a French twist the opposite to how I would normally do it. I'll have to experiment with it.

BlazingHeart
November 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Well, I feel a little silly now. It appears that there are two very similar styles that different people have called a peacock twist. This is one of them. The other, you gather into a pony, twist up, and clip it to your head. Some people (myself included) consider that a peacock twist while some call it a tails up.

earthnut
November 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to have to try all the suggested styles. :)

I think unicorn's got it though. The model in the link even has about the same length hair as Amy did.